Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E11: Raw Deal

• Start Topic

I missed parts of the episode.

• I love Johnathan's and Keith's friendship. Hopefully John hits the right kind of crab.
  • Zack finally got in the wheelhouse for a string. The Swedish twins have had a rough year.
  • Missed some of the stuff with Jake, but Kenny needs to be rid of.
  • Love 2

Wow.  Josh gets in the wheel house.  Double wow.  Bill's on deck throwing the hook.  It was kind of scary.  I kept thinking he was going to really hurt himself.  I think he'll be feeling the effects for days.  It reminded me of when Sig went out on deck a season or two ago.  These guys aren't exactly in the best of shape.  Remember when Jon went out and hit himself in the nose with the hook?  Oh wait, Keith went out this season too..... Another 'scary' moment.

Jake's gonna give himself a heart attack.  The deckhand was wrong but Jake needs more control....for his own health.  

I don't think Keith was trying to screw Jon with the information.  Too bad it turned out to be false.... 

• Love 2

I must have heard this wrong, but I swear that during one of Jake's rants he said something about Kenny always getting fired for behavior like this. Always? You knew he was a problem employee and you still hired him, Jake?

• Love 3
13 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Jake's gonna give himself a heart attack.  The deckhand was wrong but Jake needs more control....for his own health.   

You can actually see his blood pressure going to the red line.  Plus he smokes and he's doing it more with all that time in the wheelhouse then he could when he was on deck.  You'd think Sig's heart attack would be a wake up that he needs to have some care or at least handle stress better (although in show timeline that hasn't happened yet).  I like Wild Bill's approach - his famous "Get your motherf** ass on the motherf** deck" speech, he raised his voice but didn't yell or scream, he was firm and no nonsense but I don't think he got that worked up (that showed).  Sometimes firm but in control is scarier than fly off the handle screaming.

At this point though his don't engage strategy is good, it's not going to improve anything with Kenny and they both know he's gone as soon as they dock.  

• Love 5

Jake doesn't have the personality to be a leader.  He may know how to fish and run a boat but at heart he is better having  people telling him what to do. 

• Love 3

Did Kenny seem... impaired... to anyone else?

Yes, Jake complained that Kenny is "always getting fired" for behavior like that. Then, Jake, you shouldn't have hired him. Period. This isn't a job where you can easily fire people, and you know it. Set yourself and your crew up to succeed: don't hire losers.

I agree. Jake needs serious leadership classes. Over-the-top anger isn't good for anyone, and it sure as hell doesn't motivate people.

• Love 6

Bill dropped a lot of attitude with the weight he dropped -- now you can see the resemblance to his son.  I'd love to see a pic of him back in the day.  

Maybe he's doing yoga or something, because between the weight loss and the zen attitude, he's much more attractive.  Hair is still rockin' it.

• Love 9

OMG - I am so tired of hearing Jake's rants. He does not have the personality to be a captain. He can not control his temper and screams like a two-year-old. Between his rants, smoking, and inability to handle stress, he is going to have a heart attack. Yes, he made the comment about "Kenny is always being fired".  Jake, why would you hire him ?
 Nice to see the friendship between Johnathan and Keith.

• Love 2

There's no way Keith lied to Jonathan.  If he was hauling Bairdi like Jon ended up doing at that spot, why on earth would Keith have left that spot?!

Here we go again with examples of Bill being true to his word.  He has season after season that if crew, including his son, puts forth real effort, he will give a real effort at taking care of them.  We had the one hard-working guy mess his hand and Bill was totally supportive.  His son was taking care of business and he was rewarded.  

The more I see, the less I think of Jake's chances as a crab captain.  He'll be fine in the Summers and at less stressful fishing.  

• Love 4

I agree about Jake not having the temperament to be a captain, at least not yet.  Leadership classes would do him a world of wonders.  He is well on the way to an early heart attack if he doesn't take better care of himself.  I hope Sig's heart attack was a wake up call for a lot of these guys.  It's almost as though smoking is a requirement on these boats (although I have never seen Keith or Wild Bill smoke.  Keith was chewing tobacco for a while though (ugh) )

Is it me though, or is it that the show is getting boring?  I seriously miss the banter between Jake and the Hansens on board the Northwestern.  I understand Jake's desire to captain a boat, but I miss that banter.  Never a dull moment. 

• Love 2

I agree, I think the show is VERY boring this year. Same things every week. Jake ranting and screaming like a two year old, problems with certain crews, etc. We have seen it all before and it is getting very old. Jake is almost 36, if he can not control his temper now and deal with the responsibility, his chances are not good. I think he is just high strung, whiny, and does not know how to handle stress.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

There's no way Keith lied to Jonathan.  If he was hauling Bairdi like Jon ended up doing at that spot, why on earth would Keith have left that spot?!

Exactly, and I'm sure Jon realizes that the situation can change between the time Keith passed along the info to the time the TB reached the area. Sure it would be disappointing, but no way Keith would have called asking for help finding crab if he was already on top of the right kind.

Here we go again with examples of Bill being true to his word.  He has season after season that if crew, including his son, puts forth real effort, he will give a real effort at taking care of them.  We had the one hard-working guy mess his hand and Bill was totally supportive.  His son was taking care of business and he was rewarded.  

Yeah, my opinion of him and the Cape Caution crew has gone way up. I half expected to hear Zack start whining about the loss of opportunity to take the wheelhouse when the one guy was hurt. Zack handled the lost chance, and I was glad Bill came out and let him have the time. 

The more I see, the less I think of Jake's chances as a crab captain.  He'll be fine in the Summers and at less stressful fishing.  

I've always liked Jake and have rooted for him to developer into a captain. He still has a way to go, and maybe like some have suggested he needs some leadership classes, along with learning to handle stress better. I never really liked Sig's style, and that was Jake's model. Problem is, Sig has earned the respect of the NORTHWESTERN crew through years of being Captain, and Jake is still looked upon as a Newby captain. Sort of like how the NW crew didn't support Edgar when he was struggling.

• Love 2

Jake needs to find himself a crew like the Brenna A's. They're just so...mellow. They're so mellow, that my brother has deemed them the "hippies." 

that way Jake would have less to stress about. But yeah, hopefully Sig's heart attack acts like a wake up call for Jake to do something. He needs to de-stress. Quit smoking, take up yoga, anything.

I think the show has become boring this season (with the exception of the Brenna A.  OK, Sean) because of editing.  For me, 'Deadliest Catch, On Deck' is much more interesting than Deadliest Catch.  I miss After the Catch.  The Bait is ok and it does add to the show but After the Catch gave us so much more insight. 

• Love 2