Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: The Test

• Start Topic

I knew Grace wasn't going to like her old friends anymore; other than that, I liked the episode.  I didn't actually mind her not liking them, it was just obvious where the plot would end up.

I loved Frankie getting high to pass the test.  At least she can drive sometimes!  And her giggles while taking the test made me laugh.

• Love 3
(edited)

I really like how the show continues to touch on some of the issues of aging like driving restrictions, new hips, and neuropathy socks. Marta Kaufman is 58, so I assume brings at least some personal experiences to bear.

Grace's former friends were caricatures but it was nice to see Swoosie Kurtz and Marsha Mason.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 7

I think we will all think twice before we treat our 70-something year old granmothers like incompetent children won't we? I never thought about it until I saw how Coyote was treating his mom.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:32 AM, hnygrl said:

I think we will all think twice before we treat our 70-something year old granmothers like incompetent children won't we? I never thought about it until I saw how Coyote was treating his mom.

Was he really out of line though?  Frankie was studying hard and not retaining any of the information.  I don't think it was that far fetched that a 70 something year old woman may have some memory issues.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 6:08 AM, Empress1 said:

"Get out. Wait, are you hungry? Let me fix you something. But then get the hell out of my house." HA!

This was hilarious.  I burst out laughing. 

• Love 5

I laughed so hard at Frankie kicking her sons out of their house - but giving them lasagna first.  That was my favorite part.

Not so much with the story of Grace's former friends; that was just too predictable and boring, no different than any of the gazillion other times it's been done on other shows.  The country club women will always be universally vapid and catty.  Which, okay, that's not my preferred circle, either, but there are always exceptions and it's unrealistic for Grace to be the only one. 

But Grace responding to Swoosie Kurtz telling her she'd changed by pausing for a moment of genuine reflection and saying, "Thank you.  That's the nicest thing you've said all day" was nice.  As was Grace readily admitting Frankie still drives her crazy sometimes, but saying she'd been there for her in a very real way (unspoken: unlike you people).  She was also cracking me up with her tailored bowling shirt and scarf. 

"Are you going to drive?"
"Do I have a choice? The sun's going down."

• Love 4

I've totally been enjoying season 2, but I was a little disappointed in this episode.

I'm gonna sound like the biggest stick in the mud, but I just don't think Frankie's constant pot-smoking is very funny, nor does it appear to be treated as seriously as Grace's drinking. While I am not a marijuana user myself, I'm not against it, but as with any drug, I don't think people should be driving while doing huge amounts of it. I was furious at her, too, for actually doing drugs in a public place, which I just thought was rude and incredibly irresponsible.

I also feel bad for Grace, because I have neighbors who are constant pot-smokers (I live in a legalized state), and the smoke is really invasive and harsh, even from a neighboring apartment (and despite my constantly running air purifier). So many scenes this season, all I can think about is how awful Grace and Frankie's beautiful beach house must smell, because of Frankie's constant smoking. And it's weird to me too that she chooses to do it that way, instead of via ingestion -- pot smoke is pretty harsh and certainly contains carcinogens.

I was also disappointed with this episode because it was so easy and tired for the friends to be shallow jerks Grace had outgrown. I actually thought Marsha Mason's character seemed pretty nice (her reactions within the scenes were visibly kind and warm), and it would have been sweet if she had reached out and shaken things up a bit by saying she wanted to keep in touch with Grace, instead of her simply being part of the clique.

And Swoosie Kurtz is also honestly also far too talented to be relegated to a cliched Mean Girl Leader as well. There could have been more nuance to her as written.

I love the show, but it has a habit of casting wonderful women in bit parts and then not giving them a chance to shine. Last season, with Christine Lahti, and this season, with Rita Moreno, Marsha Mason, and Swoosie. Why not have Marsha Mason be the one to speak up and say, "Hey, guys, maybe she doesn't want to meet this guy," or Swoosie admit (even for a moment) that they had actually missed Grace. Or for the Giggler to actually speak up and surprise them by saying she liked Frankie and thought she was hilarious? Etc.

I want this show to knock down tropes, especially those involving women, not to actively support them. This episode wasn't a favorite of mine.

• Love 6

I don't think I've seen Marsha Mason in anything since the 1970s. I wondered what happened to her.

OK - do we think Jane Fonda is wearing a wig? That's some awful nice hair she's got for a 71 year old woman. I know it's possible, but I also noticed her hair has varied in length over the past three episodes.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think I've seen Marsha Mason in anything since the 1970s. I wondered what happened to her.

She pops up as a guest star on TV shows. She also has a recurring role on The Middle as Frankie's mom.

On 1/13/2017 at 3:42 PM, iMonrey said:

OK - do we think Jane Fonda is wearing a wig? That's some awful nice hair she's got for a 71 year old woman. I know it's possible, but I also noticed her hair has varied in length over the past three episodes.

Early on (I think in the pilot), Grace takes off hair extensions, false eyelashes, and something that looks like it's pulling her skin back around her eyes. I thought that was amazing for Jane Fonda to show. 

• Love 6

I love this show. I think both women are incredibly beautiful and so funny! I got people started on watching this show that have never heard of it. Every person I told to try watching this show- loves it! I wish they would hurry up with the next season!

• Love 1

This is not a favorite episode, but it does contain one of my favorite scenes, when Bud and Coyote piss Frankie off royally by treating her like a doddering old lady and trying to get her to stop driving, and this is how she kicks them out after calling them Judases who sold her up the river:

- I think you should go.
- You're kicking us out?
- That's exactly what I'm doing.  Wait, are you hungry?  Let me get you a little something.  But then get the hell out of my house.

And she indeed sends them home with lasagna.  It's fantastic!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2