Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: The Battles, Round 2 (part 3)

• Start Topic

Ooh, Brittnee got hosed! Jake knew that Usher's song would play to his falsetto. Brittnee was definitely resisting. She should have stuck to her guns and told pretty boy to stick it and work his falsetto in a song where she could also shine.

(edited)

So Jake is a jerk. Interesting reveal of character, more like Survivor!

I'm enjoying this season a lot, but not tonight's episode. I didn't like any of the performances.

Edited by picklesprite

Jake's falsetto wasn't even on pitch. He should not have won. I also thought Madelyn should have won her battle and am glad Blake stole her

I've thought there have been a number of questionable battle round wins this season, but there are far too many contestants left at this point to remember who is who lol.

I fast forwarded through most of Climax it was so bloody awful, but based on what I heard, I agree that the wrong person won. My first thought was, there goes the fodderingest, fodder that ever foddered.

If Madelyn was the blonde at the end of the battle where the loser would obviously get stolen, I agree. I liked headband girl better going in, but thought she really tanked on that song. I think even headband girl expected to lose. Blondie fits Blake better anyway. She could easily be steered towards country if she lasts long enough.

Much as I am loathe to root for someone who calls themself "music box," I thought she was considerably better than the girl with the hair extensions that won that battle, who I thought should have also lost her round 1 battle.

• Love 1

I'm pleased that Kat Perkins and Madelyn got through. The rest of the lot was pretty dismal. That battle between Dani and Clarissa made my ears bleed. So unpleasant.

And the songs! I liked it better when the contestants chose their own songs in the knockouts. There was a great deal more variety. Remember when Jackie sang "Stompa" and it was awesome? Now we get the five millionth iteration of "Perfect" on a singing show. Snore.

Jeez, I am totally fan-girling on Chris Martin....he is SO.DAMN.CUTE and has the prettiest blue eyes....*sigh*

Oh yeah, and a bunch of people sung songs, right?  *LOL*

I liked Music Box, but I really hope she ditches that silly "alter-ego" name if she keeps performing.  She just doesn't need it, 

• Love 1

I'm guessing that some of the odder battle round choices are due to the judges weighing factors other than singing: appearance, coachability, sex appeal, age, name (looking at you, Music Box), performance skills, confidence, can this person get votes, does this person have a voting bloc behind them, can this person be a star (possibly with autotune), plus the "balance" of their teams. I'm sitting at home only asking, "Did you kill it?", but the judges have a lot more to consider, probably.

• Love 2

Jake's falsetto wasn't even on pitch. He should not have won. I also thought Madelyn should have won her battle and am glad Blake stole her

True,  I was not exactly blown away by Jake, but Brittany seemed kind of, I don't know, lost in the song.  I did not get a sense of her as a performer.  Maybe she let the fact that she did not want to do the song in the first place effect her performance, or maybe the song is just not good for her voice.

I was on the fence with the Madelyn and Bria battle, but I am also glad Blake stole her.

I'm guessing that some of the odder battle round choices are due to the judges weighing factors other than singing: appearance, coachability, sex appeal, age, name (looking at you, Music Box), performance skills, confidence, can this person get votes, does this person have a voting bloc behind them, can this person be a star (possibly with autotune), plus the "balance" of their teams. I'm sitting at home only asking, "Did you kill it?", but the judges have a lot more to consider, probably.

And this is the crux of it, picklesprite.  The voice is the only factor in the blind auditions.  After that, vocal ability drops down the list.  Look at the people who've won so far.  Every single one of them is attractive enough to be easily marketable.

Even before they started singing, I knew how the final battle was going to shake out. The blonde is totally a Blake type. She might not sound exactly like Danielle Bradbery but she looks and acts a lot like her.

I have to agree with Joystickenvy: That Climax song was terrible for both Jake B. and Brittnee.  I'm impressed with how diplomatic Usher managed to be.

I also find it hard to believe that Jake's pushing for that song was out of bounds.  Why wouldn't a contestant try to sway the result toward a song s/he wanted?  I'm more inclined to think they didn't show the early stages of discussion for the other contestants, whereas it was worth showing here because it ended up being such a mess, for exactly the reason he wanted to do it in the first place.

Having said all that, I was still more curious at the end of the round about Jake than Brittnee, so I don't mind Adam's choice.

On Usher's team, Bria was my earliest pick for the finals, but now I'm not so sure.  The rest were a bit forgettable.  Except Chris Martin's coaching.  He seems so sincere.  It's refreshing.

I'm also on the Chris Martin mentor love train, I thought he was awesome. Very relatable, great tips, and friendly vibe. Also, my PVR recording description was "Christ Martin mentors..." which made me laugh. 

Was anyone else totally distracted by Bria's headband? The placement of it seemed awkward to me. I thought she sounded pretty good tonight but certainly not a standout like I expected. Found myself preferring Madelyn, actually. 

"Music Box"....ugh, I just can't. Do you think she's gone too far with it to change it now? 

Looking forward to hearing the artists' song choices finally. 

• Love 1

Was anyone else totally distracted by Bria's headband?

It was like some funky bedazzled Wonder Woman crown, which if you are going to be Wonder Woman you don't bedazzle the crown.  She's Wonder Woman for Christ's sake.

She did a weird pointy thing to it and then to Usher so I wonder if they had some kind of inside joke going about it because really I cannot see any other reason she would have that tacky thing on her head.

• Love 1