Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Kimmy Gives Up!

As someone who lives in Montreal, I appreciated the line (hey,we are not Toronto.)  And for a show that is probably getting a lot of promotional consideration from Apple, they sure like to rip into it and their products. 

The banned songs were awesome and really shows off what a lovely singer Titus is.  Carol Kane reminds one of my favourite TV kooks.  

• Love 1

I just read an interview with Tituss where he talks about how it's hard to choose happiness, and I thought that was really poignant. And then in this episode he wasn't sure how to respond to being happy and he was waiting for the other shoe to drop, and I've been there. I thought that was poignant too. Titus is a great character.

• Love 6

This episode erred more on the sweet/sentimental side than the outright hilarious side, but that's fine. I enjoyed it and am still in love with how overwhelmingly positive this show can be without coming off as cheesy or trite.

Loved the commentary on how too many people are medicating their kids just for being kids. I thought it was so sweet at the end when Jacqueline and Buckley were tearing up the store. He kind of annoyed me last season but I think Jacqueline developing a closer relationship with him really humanizes her.

Lillian has been on fire so far this season with helping Kimmy and Titus work out their emotional issues. She's a fucking kook and I don't think I'd ever call her in an emergency, but she can really be there for people when they need someone to talk to.

• Love 3

The amazing return of Daddys Boy! In all its creepy, inappropriate glory! 

I love how they are using Titus this season. He is as funny and ridiculous as always, but he actually has some real character growth. 

• Love 8

Daddy's Boy is back! It might be my favorite ongoing gag. It's just so wonderful.

Absolutely loved the whole subplot with medicating Buckley. From the medicine being called "Discipline" to Jackie not seeing color when she took it, everything was just on point.

I'm eager to resolve the Kimmy/Dong storyline. Either get them together or don't, but let's have a resolution to this storyline.

• Love 4

Absolutely loved the whole subplot with medicating Buckley. From the medicine being called "Discipline" to Jackie not seeing color when she took it, everything was just on point.

It wasn't even just that she didn't see color...the clothes were uglier! If you look closely they were just these bland sweaters and shapeless tops when she looked at them, as opposed to the rainbow of gowns we saw when they first came in. Brilliant!

• Love 1

It wasn't even just that she didn't see color...the clothes were uglier! If you look closely they were just these bland sweaters and shapeless tops when she looked at them, as opposed to the rainbow of gowns we saw when they first came in. Brilliant!

She was Talbots-ing!
  • Love 7

Buckley isn't exactly "just a kid". He's a kid who has never been parented. Which leaves him more psychotic than most kids. I still vividly remember that time he tried to beat Titus to death in season 1.

So... taking him off meds and letting him run wild - didn't feel like a triumph to me. That was just a return to form. Medication as a replacement for parenting turned the kid into a creepy zombie, so it's no-go, but Jacqueline is still not going to bother to parent. Of course.

Maybe I just relate to the salesperson more than Jacqueline and Buckley in that scene, because I've worked retail (in a much crummier place than that fancy store, though, haha). Even though I wouldn't call them "crotchfruit" to their face, there certainly are many incidents that makes you think "if they want to tear a place up, can't they go to the park instead?"

• Love 3

Ha, loved that Kimmy mentioned Jock Jams. I still have one of those CDs somewhere. MTV Party to Go Volume 5 was THE BEST.

ITA - at some points, Buckley wasn't being just a kid. He was out of control and Jacqueline's ultimate solution was to let him continue to run wild and then join in so that there were two people being irresponsible, loud, and a pain in the ass in public. Wrecking a store because the staff suggested you not let your screaming violent kid (who was yelling, "DIE DIE!") dismantle the mannequin and run amok hardly seems like the right solution (okay, fine, that was really because she asked Jacqueline if she was a size 8 or 10). But God forbid she actually set any boundaries for him or discipline him. Obviously the only two choices are medicated zombie or screaming kid doing whatever he wants.

I was fine with her using her Transformers knowledge to quiet him down but then she decided to hell with it and encouraged him to trash the store. It's fine for her to encourage his drawing and his imagination, but she still needs to act like a parent and tell him things like drawing on paper is good but drawing on walls is bad aka teach him what is appropriate and what is not appropriate. Running and yelling at the playground is okay but running and yelling inside a clothing store is not. But instead Jacqueline decides the way to get along with her kid is to act his age and continue to let him do whatever he wants.

I know this is just a fun show, but yeah, it's annoying when you see other people's hellacious children acting like little shits and the parents do absolutely nothing about it. if your kid is going to act like that, keep him inside your house so you are the only one who has to deal with his terrible behavior.

I loved all of the crazy songs Titus sang in this episode. Part of the "Just Go On" verse reminded me of "If Only" (which he sang in the Broadway version of The Little Mermaid).

• Love 3

omg @ "Talbots-ing." Dead!

ZootSuitWyatt, on 16 Apr 2016 - 12:36 AM, said:

Appreciated the 30 Rock reference to the drugstore:

"Fine, I will try the other location. But frankly, LaDonica, you have not been real helpful." - Kenneth

Ha!  Excellent memory.  I'd forgotten all about that line from 30 Rock.  

The banned songs were awesome and really shows off what a lovely singer Titus is.

His voice really is great. As a longtime fan of Oklahoma (and musicals in general), I just about fell out at "The Cropper and the Klansman Should be Friends."

• Love 1

I just read an interview with Tituss where he talks about how it's hard to choose happiness, and I thought that was really poignant. And then in this episode he wasn't sure how to respond to being happy and he was waiting for the other shoe to drop, and I've been there. I thought that was poignant too. Titus is a great character.

Thank you for sharing the link.  I felt the same way: I'm finally happy and in the back of my  mind, I'm waiting for something bad to happen because it's in my nature to believe that it will.  And it's hard to choose happiness when there are so many obstacles. 

Man this show is making me think!  I need something quick!

She was Talbots-ing!

(sigh of relief.)  There it is.  Side note: I actually like the pants.  Peplum though should NEVER be a thing. 

I didn't mind Jacqueline letting Buckley run wild didn't bother me because she did find a way to parent him with the Transformer inside info first. And she realized the harm his medication was causing him. I'd like to think she'll be a little more involved and try to be a parent (like the awkward hug they had).

Titus being scare of being happy was great. So often you waste your happy time waiting for the other shoe to drop that you don't enjoy the good times. Lillian was great at pointing this out to him.

I'm over Dong. He wasn't my favorite part of the mini-triangle last season, so I'd be happy not seeing him at all.

Titus is always great, and he can sure sing.  This episode was almost like an old Taxi episode (which is kind of ironic since Carol Kane is in it), in that it was more sentimental than zany.

• Love 1

That "Discipline" medicine turning kids and Jacqueline into mindless zombies was hilarious and kind of scary at the same time.  While it makes sense for Jacqueline to get rid of it, I do hope she actually tries to discipline Buckley more, because while medicine shouldn't takeover for parenting, he clearly needs some boundaries, because he can be the biggest pain in the ass possible.  I wasn't that up in arms over the the scene at the dress store, since it was obviously played as "Jacqueline got offended for her dress size being questioned" and more about her ego then anything else, but I hope she slowly starts acting more like a mother going forward.

Knew Kimmy was going to fail her GED and realize that she can't wait around for Dong anymore.  Hopefully, she'll find someone else who will appreciate her better.  Of course, that shot with the scrunchy is signaling that Dong is over her either, but I'm not sure he really deserves another chance anymore.

All of Titus' stuff was great.  I liked all the references to the various musicals.

Lillian was the MVP of this episode, with her advice to both Titus and Kimmy.  Carol Kane is a treasure.

Daddy's Boy!!!  

Oh my God, I loved the songs from Tituss' forgotten musicals... Alabama and Feels Like Love and Stephen Sondheim's Pinocchio and Gangly Orphan Jeff. Ah! So good!

Kecia Lewis! She was the woman on the bench who asked Jacqueline if her son was on that drug. This show gets a lot of goodwill from me for casting all my favorite Broadway actors.

The Dyziplen storyline was predictable but still kind of sweet. I would have loved to see Jane Krakowski in a fashion montage though. :(