Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show With David Letterman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've always loved Dave's enthusiasm with the musicians on the show.  I remember being proud when  Indigo Girls (from my hometown) made their "network television debut" on Late Night. Dave wasn't sure if it was THE Indigo Girls or just IG.  Around that time Dave & Paul would riff about whether bands appearing on the show were "The" so-and-so's or just so-and-so.

Anyway, I loved (still do) that Dave was such a fan of Nanci Griffith, Lyle Lovett ....so many other relative unknowns to mainstream and just starting out.

• Love 2

I am really liking the last couple of music guests, like Parquet Courts and Foxygen, and Catfish & The Bottlemen, I knew neither one of those bands liked all of them a lot. A very pleasant surprise. Recently also loved Jessica Hernandez & The Deltas. I am gonna miss discovering good music through this show. Is it my impression or is David having more fun with the bands?

I would also add Nico & Vinz from a couple of weeks ago.  The bands appearing lately have been really top notch and we're all going to be less better off when this showcase goes away.  I don't think a lot of these folks will ever get a chance with Fallon's show if for no other reason than they'll be overlooked by NBC/Universal/Comcast because they won't be able to monetize the appearance on The Today Show, The Weather Channel, Sunday Night Football or whatever...

Wow. Yes, Dave loved Warren. I believe WZ filled in for Paul a time or two, and it was incredibly sad when Warren died.

I understood the night of the "Enjoy every sandwich"  appearance Zevon gave Dave his favorite guitar backstage in the dressing room.  Understandably something like that is going to hit you pretty hard.  I can't even imagine.

So... how uncomfortable was it to watch Amanda Peet?  I kind of wish they had just banged the crap out of each other years ago and gotten it out of their system so we wouldn't have to get creeped out with a 'coulda-woulda-shoulda' session like that.  That must have been some fun to come home to their families for each of them as well.  Peet is a lovely guest but when it starts getting a high-school reunion 'regrets' vibe, it's time to bring on Stupid Pet Tricks instead.  Jesus Dave, why not just go full nuclear annihilation and ask Merrill Markoe and Stephanie Birkitt to come on the show too?

"Parade of lasts" indeed.

Edited by kib
  • Love 1

I've read over the last few pages and I didn't see any mention of this.  I don't watch this show but my mom does.  She said recently the audience has seemed different and she thinks they've hired a claque (had to look it up myself).  She said the timing is off and they'll start clapping/cheering right when David and the guest are about to start talking.  Has anyone noticed anything like that or heard anything about such things?  I told her sometimes it could just be the audience he gets.  That maybe they are overly excited, especially since the show will be ending soon but she doesn't think so. She said it's only started relatively recently and, to her, has been noticeably different. 

(edited)

I've read over the last few pages and I didn't see any mention of this.  I don't watch this show but my mom does.  She said recently the audience has seemed different and she thinks they've hired a claque (had to look it up myself).  She said the timing is off and they'll start clapping/cheering right when David and the guest are about to start talking.  Has anyone noticed anything like that or heard anything about such things?  I told her sometimes it could just be the audience he gets.  That maybe they are overly excited, especially since the show will be ending soon but she doesn't think so. She said it's only started relatively recently and, to her, has been noticeably different. 

If you're referring to how the first guest gets an extended ovation upon being introduced, that's been going on for close a year at this point. I've read reports from people who attend tapings that the warm-up guy encourages the audience to do that. A claque (I also had to look it up) would mean the audience is being paid, which is almost certainly not the case. Unless an audience is overtly hostile to something, they'll generally perform the way they're coached.

On to another point, I'd be quite content if Dave went the rest of the show's run without ever mentioning the 2016 presidential election. Pending retirement should afford him the luxury of ignoring it.

Edited by alynch

I've read reports from people who attend tapings that the warm-up guy encourages the audience to do that.

I've never been, but the end credits say Alan Kalter does the warm up?

On January 6, Barbara Gaines tweeted that there were 76 more shows to go. They've done nine shows since then, so that puts the current countdown number at 67. Accounting for the fact that the show's ending on a Wednesday and that there'll be a couple of half-weeks due to March Madness, that means there's something like 14 weeks left where there'll be some new shows.

Scheduled guests for the week of January 19th:

Looks like its a week of repeats:

Mo 1/19: Kathy Griffin, David Oyelowo, Lera Lynn

Tu 1/20: Julianne Moore, Marv Albert, Catfish & the Bottlemen

We 1/21: Jason Sudeikis, Allison Janney, Damien Rice

Th 1/22: Jeff Goldblum, Michael Somerville, Nicole Atkins

Fr 1/23: Michael Keaton, Foo Fighters with Ann & Nancy Wilson

Scheduled guests for the week of January 26th:

Mo 1/26: Louis CK, the Lone Bellow

Tu 1/27: Andrew Luck, Oscar Isaac, Drenge

We 1/28: Viola Davis, Ben Schwartz, Marty Stuart

Th 1/29: John Oliver, Death Cab for Cutie

Fr 1/30: Ben Howard

John Oliver!! Hell ya!

WOW...Was it planned for the Matthew McConaughey/Lincoln ad to play immediately after Dave did a perfect comic imitation of it?  Was that just too coincidental?

No more coincidental than commercials appearing right after the guest segment for the film the guest is promoting.

In other words...  

Edited by kib

It's hard to believe that whole Conan fiasco is 5 years old.

In these spoiler-filled times, it's really, really, really hard to be blown away by something.

That truly blew me away, and it was hard to concentrate on the game. (Some TV writers had known about it in advance, and quickly posted behind-the-scenes stories.)

Hard to believe it's been five years....

Simply one of the best ads I have ever seen:

I'm pretty sure Jack Hanna will put in one more appearance before the end, but if not the bird landing on Dave's head is a pretty good note to go out on.

Also, there must have been typo on the blue card when introducing the top ten (or maybe Dave just was having reading issues), because "214 touchdowns" was a ridiculous figure.

I loved Jack telling Dave not to worry about the snake:

Don't worry Dave, If it bites you, you'll just fall asleep"

Dave: "What do you mean? When do you wake up?"

Jack: "You don't..you just go to sleep"

I am so going to miss those two...

• Love 1

See, that's what makes Dave's departure even more difficult.  Not only do we lose Dave, but all his wonderful "character" guests will be lost also.  Where else does one see Jack Hanna on TV?  Not too many places or too often - he's been Dave's catch for thirty years ("on Valentine's Day", as Jack reminded).   So sad...

It looks like reruns this week, at least Mon and Tue (and we just had holiday break), which made me wonder, how much of these last 4 months are going to be new?

Using lateshowaudience.com as the guide:

New shows 

Week of Feb 9 = 5

Week of Feb 16 = 5

Week of Feb 23 = 3 (Sweeps end Wed, reruns Thur+Fri)

Week of March 2 = NONE

Week of March 9 = 5

Week of March 16 = 3 (NCAA Thur+Fri)

Week of March 23 = 3 (NCAA Thur+Fri)

Week of March 30  = 5

Week of April 6 = NONE (Post-Easter+Dave Birthday Week)

Week of April 13 = 5

Week of April 20 = 5

Week of April 27 = 5

Week of May 4 = 5

Week of May 11 = 5

Week of May 18 = 3

Typically, in past years, they would slide in an off week just before May sweeps, or take two off in early April.  This year, its 28 nights in a row as the Exit.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 1

And, despite Dave's protestations, I can't imagine that Les Moonves would let him leave without some big primetime finale. Maybe not an actual show, but I could see Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, and Regis hosting some type of clip show on the Sunday before the finale.

(edited)

Using lateshowaudience.com as the guide:

New shows 

Week of Feb 9 = 5

Week of Feb 16 = 5

Week of Feb 23 = 3 (Sweeps end Wed, reruns Thur+Fri)

Week of March 2 = NONE

Week of March 9 = 5

Week of March 16 = 3 (NCAA Thur+Fri)

Week of March 23 = 3 (NCAA Thur+Fri)

Week of March 30  = 5

Week of April 6 = NONE (Post-Easter+Dave Birthday Week)

Week of April 13 = 5

Week of April 20 = 5

Week of April 27 = 5

Week of May 4 = 5

Week of May 11 = 5

Week of May 18 = 3.

Thanks for that! I'd been trying to figure it out myself but I couldn't remember the typical March Madness schedule. If this is right, it means there'll only be two more dark weeks between now and the end.

Edited by alynch

With Martin Short on tonight and Brian Williams coming next week, I got to thinking: Weren't these two just on the show.

I looked it up, and there have been a lot of recent guests who were on the show not too long ago.

Jack Hanna has been on 4 times in the past year. Short has been on 3 times:

Brian Williams - Feb. 12, 2015, Oct 30, 2014

Martin Short - Feb 5, 2015, Nov. 3, 2014, June 3, 2014

Dr. Phil - Feb. 3, 2015, Sept. 10, 2014

Jack Hanna - Feb. 2, 2015, Sept. 22, 2014, May 19, 2014, Feb. 28, 2014

Steve Carell - Feb. 9, 2015, Nov. 11, 2014

I'm not totally complaining, but it makes you wonder if Letterman is having trouble booking guests. Or he keeps going back to the familiar.

I usually record Letterman and Kimmel. But with Fallon in L.A., I looked at this week's schedule, found it to be kind of lackluster, and recorded Fallon instead.

Anyways, I hope Howard Stern would be able to make 2 more appeances before Dave goes. But that looks highly unlikely. He'll probably be on the final weeks..

Edited by nowandlater

I'm not totally complaining, but it makes you wonder if Letterman is having trouble booking guests. Or he keeps going back to the familiar.

I think it's not a problem of booking guests, Dave is still the hottest spot on late night for anyone on the show bussiness to appear.

I do think Dave and Paul want to take away the greatest enjoyment they can of this last months of his show, and that is why Dave is having back so many of his best guests, And I also think that feeling is on the musical guests.

Wasn't that part of his explanation for retiring? His wife asked him, in the end of one day, who was on the show that same day, and he couldn´t even remember.

So I think he wants to leave with a bang, his bang: to mostly keep doing the show he wants to do.

Maybe retiring is taking away any pressure he had left of keeping up ratings or dumbing down his show to keep up with Fallon & Cia. 

Thinking about it, maybe ratings right now is on their hightest.

I would think everyone (especially his most loyal fanbase) would want to be there watching every show in this final months.

Edited by nameless slob