Type keyword(s) to search

GG Rewatch 2016....It's repetitive and redundant

• Start Topic

The very night I first heard of the upcoming Gilmore Girls revival I turned to my husband and said, "This is a great excuse for a rewatch!" I floated the idea in the Coffee at Luke's thread and there was some interest, so let's do it. I used the title we used for a rewatch thread back at TWoP (in 2011, I think) because if ever a title begged to be reused its this one. :).

Four episodes per week should have us finished in December. The revival may be released before then. We could decide whether to continue at that time.

Let's watch the first four episodes of season one, then discuss the week of Monday, 3/21. Then let's discuss an additional four episodes each week, starting on Monday of that week. You can just post your reaction to those episodes, favorite moments, thoughts on how it relates to the revival, whatever comes to mind.

I know some people are watching in syndication, which might have them a little off schedule. Of course, they can chime in too. Or if you want to chime in because every episode is committed to memory thus making a rewatch unnecessary, that's fine too!

What do you guys think? I'm open to tweaking the schedule, if needed.

I'm wondering if we should accelerate the schedule a little. I thought rumor had it that the revivals were being released in October.  And 4 episodes sounds like a good day, not a good week. ;)

Well, I was hoping for a couple more "I'm in"'s but let's soldier on and hope folks join in.

Deeja, is five episodes a week okay? That should have us done by revival time and we could pick up the pace near the end if needed.

I started yesterday and made it halfway through episode three. Loved that my husband couldn't resist listening in and laughing. He has seen every episode...one of my rematches was just for that purpose. He is a fan and I love discussing the show with him.

I just did a rewatch over late fall/early winter, otherwise I would have done it.  But that was probably enough for the recent timeframe :-)  I might remember a few episodes as you discuss them, however.  I did initiate some discussions as I did my rewatch in whatever threads it fit in.  

• Love 2

Just finished Season 1.  I'm surprised I got through it so fast.  Max Medina makes my skin CRAWL (sorry guys) and Rory is just too ubercute with Dean, it drives me batty.  I was always a Jess girl and Anti-Dean so I think this rewatch is giving me a much more positive spin on Dean -- I'm wondering if I just don't like RORY with Dean, and maybe Dean isn't so bad at all?  (LOL, don't laugh at me because I forget what happens later!  I know that adultery is eventually coming up!)  It's how I feel about Logan.  I'm not Anti-Logan at all, I just hate how Rory is when she's with Logan.  And.... I think I just hate Rory.

Anyways, Season 1 was great, I kind of feel like I should buy the series now (just been watching on Netflix).  I like Luke, I just feel kind of icky when he's so over-protective with Rory (literally physically fighting Dean outside of his restaurant.)  It just rings false and is cloying to me.  I like Sookie and I like Lane.  I think my favourite moment was the end of Christopher Returns.  I love Lauren Graham's acting there so much.  I don't get if she just really turns it on around David Sutcliffe or what.  Why can't she just be that good all the time?  Maybe she's directed to be much lighter usually.  

Oh and here we go again.  Beginning of Season 2 now.  The Kims are shipping Lane off to Korea using a ONE-WAY TICKET.  Lane contacts Rory to totally panic and freak out, and Rory is just so blase and who the fuck cares about this?  God, she is the worst.  How the hell would Rory feel if she was shipped off to another country against her will with no plane ticket back?  I'm sorry for my language but this character aggravates the hell out of me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

So we are starting this week, right? So

Pilot

The Lorelai's First Day at Chilton

Kill Me Now

Deer Hunters

Cinnamon's Wake

Excited!

Yes, let's get started. Thanks, deaja, for listing the episodes for us. I made these notes shortly after watching....

Pilot -

Every scene at the Gilmore Manson...so well done.

Love seeing all the little moments that end up in the opening credits, like Richard handing Rory the paper and Lorelai pushing Emily through the hall.

Emily's little hand gesture near her face when she proposes her Friday night dinner plan...probably unintentional, but it reminds me of an evil villain twisting his mustache. (Which brings to mind my favorite Lorelai rant in season four).

Possibly an unpopular opinion....I'm glad they did away with Drella. I didn't hate that bit, but IMO it gave the inn too much of a sitcom feel. Michel (and Sookie at times) are enough comic relief.

The Lorelais' First Day at Chilton -

This is where, in real life, Luke would have realized he needed to ask Lorelai out...when he was obviously relieved she didn't go out with Chilton dad.

What a perfect crappy first day at a new school...well done.

Two episodes in a row that end with Lorelai commenting on Luke's looks. :)

Kill Me Now -

Lorelai looks so fabulous in that purple dress with the neck tie (scarf?) at the end. I'll admit it...the pretty people in their pretty clothes make this show even more of a joy to watch.

I'm enjoying Sookie so much. I always liked her, but even more so far in this rewatch. What a sweet friend...offering her car (in the pilot) and their little street conversation when Sookie points out Lorelai is jealous. I'm glad they eventually toned down the accident prone bit though (see previous comment about not wanting too much of a sitcom feel at the inn).

Loved the strawberry exchange...Lorelai's "Do I have to put on my strawberry costume to get your full attention?" Then Jackson's "You disgust me!" And Sookie's "I was desperate!"

Lorelai should have known better than to show up at the Gilmore Mansion with used cake...non-traditional used cake at that...lol.

The Deer Hunters -

Hmm, never noticed before that Lorelai named Max as the maker of the bad coffee and he didn't deny it. (I guess I assumed a food service staff member made it). So Max = bad coffee, Luke = good coffee. Max never stood a chance.

Headmaster Charleston is great in his scene..."Well she did an excellent imitation of you then." Heh.

Cinnamon's Wake -

Too much Max... Lorelai wears a lot of purple in season one.

I agree, Ms Blue Jay, that Rory and Dean are just too cute together at the beginning of season one. They did such a good job of capturing first love (or infatuation). Once Jess came along, I'd had enough Dean, though.

Another thought related to season one... I know there's a good deal of bitterness toward ASP for season 6 and her failure to write Luke and Lorelai as a happy couple. I have those same negative thoughts, but rewatching the Pilot reaffirms my love and admiration for ASP....what a talent to bring us this fascinating family and this feel good to the max world of Stars Hollow. I was looking over some threads here and it was mentioned how taken both Edward Hermmann and Kelly Bishop were with the Pilot script. Kudos to ASP for that....if it wasn't so amazing, then such an amazing cast might not have been drawn to this show. I'm optimistic that ASP has good things in store for us in the revival.

• Love 4

I may chime in on occasion too.

One of my favorite Luke looks was in LFDAC. Plus the way he looked up at Lorelai when she said she wasn't going out with Chilton Dad. His eyelashes. *sigh*

I concur both Lorelai look so lovely in the scene that you referenced. Loved how Rory wrapped her arm through Lorelai's.

Let the Kirk of many jobs begin.

• Love 2

So, I'm not exactly doing the rewatch because ever since I discovered this show and got the DVDs I've been doing a never-ending rewatch and I'm in season 6 right now.  But reading the posts here made me so happy I wanted to chime in on a few things.  

Pilot - I have mad love for the very first scene with Lorelai walking through town to The La's.  It just sets up her character and the whole feel of the town so well.  And yes, I know the town isn't quite the same but it's easy for me to overlook.  We got our first DVR not long before ABC Family started airing the show in syndication and my daughter decided to tape it every day.  I didn't watch with her at first because I thought it would be way too sweet and sappy for me, so didn't even see the pilot until after I'd seen most of the series through season 5.  The bits and pieces I saw walking through the room had me hooked by about episode 10, or maybe even 8.  When I first saw the pilot I didn't like it very much because of the different feel but it did grow on me.  I especially love revisiting Michel and Sookie's first scenes, and agree that I'm not that fond of Drella.

The Lorelai's First Day at Chilton - I agree--perfectly done crappy first day at a new school.  I like the way the whole town gets on Lorelai for what she was wearing and the way she relates it back to Sookie, and the fight over the peaches.  It's interesting to see Lorelai go into flirt-mode with the Chilton dad and Rory's reaction.

Kill Me Now - Kind of a blah episode for me but I do enjoy the Richard/Rory scenes, the fights over the strawberries and when Lorelai takes the leftover dessert to her parents.    Especially this exchange:

EMILY: How nice. I'll just put it in the kitchen next to my half-empty box of Cheer.

LORELAI: (whispers to Rory) She's in a good mood tonight.

The Deer-Hunters - Another kind of blah episode with some highlights.  I think my favorite is when Luke brings Rory pie and this quick little exchange that lets us know Lorelai knows Luke looks out for Rory.  The smiles after are really nice too, but you have to look fast.

LORELAI: Hey, Backwards baseball hat - new look for you. [looks at Rory] She’s eating pie? Did she even have dinner?

LUKE: You raised her, I just serve.

Cinnamon's Wake - I always enjoy this episode because I really like both Babette and Morey and the whole town coming to a cat's funeral.  And Emily's aneurysm at the end. 

Another thought related to season one... I know there's a good deal of bitterness toward ASP for season 6 and her failure to write Luke and Lorelai as a happy couple. I have those same negative thoughts, but rewatching the Pilot reaffirms my love and admiration for ASP....what a talent to bring us this fascinating family and this feel good to the max world of Stars Hollow. I was looking over some threads here and it was mentioned how taken both Edward Hermmann and Kelly Bishop were with the Pilot script. Kudos to ASP for that....if it wasn't so amazing, then such an amazing cast might not have been drawn to this show. I'm optimistic that ASP has good things in store for us in the revival.

I couldn't agree more.  It's hard for me to understand how anyone can love the characters and the show yet have so much bitterness for the person who created it.  I've (almost) come to see Luke and Lorelai's problems in season 6 as inevitable, and think Amy would have done a much better job at bringing them back together.  That's why I'm so excited about the revival.

Edited by shron17
  • Love 1

Perfect timing, as I was about to have to start Season 7 on my never ending rewatch.  :)

On a different note, how would you guys feel if I were to separate the rewatch into separate threads for each season?  That way, if someone is going ahead, they can easily discuss it in that thread instead of where others are discussing the pilot (for example).  Also, when we're not doing an official re-watch, the threads would function as a nice place to discuss a particular season or arc without discussing the whole show.  (I'm completely open to being told this is an awful idea. Just a thought.)

For those that are doing the re-watch (I may chime in occasionally) it might be fun for you to go to foreveryoungadult to read their observations on that Gilmore Girls re-watch project. Have fun!!!

Thanks for the info, FictionLover. I hadn't seen that site.

It took me a while to find the rewatch, so here's a link.

http://foreveryoungadult.com/tag/gilmore-girls-rewatch

Nota bene, I went there to see the analysis on the stupidest thing Lorelai ever said, namely her lack of recognition that Luke busted his butt to get the Jeep and her bike exactly the insane way she wanted it, which is a chuppah-worthy move, instead claiming that he never reciprocates, naming the song she was singing for Rory as reaching out, but we aren't at that place in the rewatch yet, so you all are saved my rant for the moment.

Anyway, the rewatch notes are interesting!

Tbh, I think Lorelai was just irritated that Luke never used WORDS to describe his feelings. I get that actions speak louder, but someone never using words would drive me slightly crazy too.

• Love 2

Pilot:

Michel and Lorelai at the front desk. The dialog is biting, but they operate in perfect cohesion, with Michel telling her about the plumber then immediately handing her the phone to call him.

I think Michel was never better written than in the pilot.

Ep 2

Honestly, between the overreaction at the first FND and Lorelai's outfit on the first day of Chilton, she seems too stupid to be a good key protagonist.

Rory's goals as she talks with the headmaster are very different from what Lorelai seems to think. Rory wants to observe and report on what she sees. She wants to travel. I wonder how Lorelai would have behaved differently if she had understood those goals. It takes money to travel.

The mysterious moving Luke's signs are funny. A while lighted sign in the pilot, a duplicate of the painted sign stuck next to the door.

She only carries a half dozen outfits from the dry cleaners into Luke's. There were more clothes still hanging in her closet and stacked on her bedroom chair.

I am so on Emily's side when it comes to school clothing for Rory. Lorelai should have moved the chip off her shoulder for a nanosecond and made her daughter's life easier, especially since Rory had to do her share of the laundry. I hope Emily bought the stuff anyway and kept it at her house. Rory would have appreciated it.

Smaller doesn't mean watery for peaches. It's the large ones which have been genetically modified to be gigantic that are watery.

I bet Lorelai made use of the parking space Emily bought for Rory.

Drella is neither as funny nor as engaging as Sookie.

Lorelai SO knows that Luke is jealous when they have the discussion about the Chilton dad coming to the inn.

Emily does go over the top when she orders the DSL.

Perfect timing, as I was about to have to start Season 7 on my never ending rewatch.  :)

On a different note, how would you guys feel if I were to separate the rewatch into separate threads for each season?  That way, if someone is going ahead, they can easily discuss it in that thread instead of where others are discussing the pilot (for example).  Also, when we're not doing an official re-watch, the threads would function as a nice place to discuss a particular season or arc without discussing the whole show.  (I'm completely open to being told this is an awful idea. Just a thought.)

It sounds like a good idea, deaja, if I understand it correctly. We would have a thread per season? Or a thread per arc? Or sub-threads within a season?

Edited by junienmomo

bota bene, I went there to see the analysis on the stupidest thing Lorelai ever said, namely her lack of recognition that Luke busted his butt to get the Jeep and her bike exactly the insane way she wanted it, which is a chuppah-worthy move, instead claiming that he never reciprocates, naming the song she was singing for Rory as reaching out, but we aren't at that place in the rewatch yet, so you all are saved my rant for the moment.

Anyway, the rewatch notes are interesting!

When she told Babette and Miss Patty that it was just karaoke and it didn't mean anything, when Luke overheard that he was mad. I always thought she felt he was over her from what she thought that this was his reaction to her about the song.  So did the other ladies and Lorelai was obviously embarrassed.

(edited)

Deaja, a good idea about a separate thread for each season. I also think it would be nice to have a thread with "rewatch" in the title, so newbies or infrequent visitors would know there is a group rewatch going on. Just so more folks would be able to decide if they want to join in on the rewatch, or just comment on whichever season they are currently rewatching on their own.

Maybe we could keep this thread updated and "bumped up" once a week or so with an update like..."group rewatch currently discussing season one, episodes 1-5 in the season one thread. ". I could keep it updated if we decide to go in that direction.

Edited to add...the season threads make more and more sense the more I think about it....a permanent place to keep discussing the seasons once the rewatch is over.

Edited by cantbeflapped
  • Love 1

Smaller doesn't mean watery for peaches. It's the large ones which have been genetically modified to be gigantic that are watery.

Thank you! I had this nitpick too. Pretty big error in my little foodie world. But Sookie rolling that peach on the floor...all was forgiven.

• Love 1

I watched the first two episodes last night.  I think my perception on this changes depending on the mood when I watch it, but all I could think was "Rory, you are SUCH a brat!"  Both episodes she really grated.  From her pouting in episode 1 to her following Lorelai around yelling the time in episode 2.  I still will never accept that Lorelai went to Chilton looking like that and her intelligent daughter thought it was a good idea to make her go in. Even if it was an informal requirement, a simple "My mom had a work emergency, but will be here this afternoon" would have been better than going in like she did.

Welcome, Gilmore Girls Rewatchers!

Leading up to the Netflix revival, some of us are doing a group rewatch. Feel free to join in if you would like!  We have decided on 5 episodes a week.  

This thread is pinned, and each week we will post the schedule of what episodes we are currently watching. Of course, you can jump in at any time, skip around as you like, or go ahead if 5 episodes a week is not enough for your Gilmore Girls obsession.  

Discussion of each season's episodes can go into the thread for that season.  

For the week of March 20th, we are watching:

Pilot
The Lorelais' First Day at Chilton
Kill Me Now
The Deer Hunters

Cinnamon's Wake

Join us! :)

Thanks, deaja! One slight correction. We decided on five episodes per week. That should have us done in October, the rumored release date for the revival. So, this week we'll also discuss season one, episode five....Cinnamon's wake.

I watched the first two episodes last night.  I think my perception on this changes depending on the mood when I watch it, but all I could think was "Rory, you are SUCH a brat!"  Both episodes she really grated.  From her pouting in episode 1 to her following Lorelai around yelling the time in episode 2.  I still will never accept that Lorelai went to Chilton looking like that and her intelligent daughter thought it was a good idea to make her go in. Even if it was an informal requirement, a simple "My mom had a work emergency, but will be here this afternoon" would have been better than going in like she did.

When I mentioned that she sounded more mature in season 1 than when she was in college I meant her voice.  She got so winey and fake sounding...listening to her scenes were like fingernails on a chalkboard!  

• Love 1

So since next week starts in less than an hour, I thought it would be okay to list the episodes we are on now. :)

Week of March 27th:

• Rory's Birthday Parties
  • Kiss and Tell
  • Love and War and Snow
  • Rory's Dance
  • Forgiveness and Stuff

Some of my favorites! 

Season Thread name suggestions.

I moved this here so I could make several suggestions at once.

Feel free to add more suggestions to this post.

S1

Welcome to Stars Hollow

S2

Jess!

The Danes Boys

It Should've Been the Gilmore Girls

S3

Rory Out of Water

Let the Games Begin

Dragonflies and Strings

S4

Last Year Chilton, This Year Yale

The Incredible Shrinking Lorelais

S5

Soap Opera City

Everybody Jumped, Not Just Jack

S6

Pod Creatures and Paul Anka Come to Town

S7

WTF

The Greatest Stink

• Love 1

Good name suggestions, Junienmomo. Though I'd say season six may have been the greatest stink. :).

So since next week starts in less than an hour, I thought it would be okay to list the episodes we are on now. :)

Week of March 27th:

• Rory's Birthday Parties
  • Kiss and Tell
  • Love and War and Snow
  • Rory's Dance
  • Forgiveness and Stuff

Some of my favorites!

Just a reminder, we'll be discussing the episodes listed above in the Season One thread this week.

I may chime in on occasion too.

One of my favorite Luke looks was in LFDAC. Plus the way he looked up at Lorelai when she said she wasn't going out with Chilton Dad. His eyelashes. *sigh*

I concur both Lorelai look so lovely in the scene that you referenced. Loved how Rory wrapped her arm through Lorelai's.

Let the Kirk of many jobs begin.

Luke's eyelashes. So beautiful

What's not so easy was finding a good photo of them.

Here's one from my collection of flannel pictures. It's only the right eye that shows the eyelashes, but they are so long and curly.

110-hug.jpg

• Love 2

Are we at the Rachel episodes yet? Because I am a little ahead of you all on the rewatch (started my own before you started a formal one!), but I have a lot to say about that whole situation, which never bothered me before but on rewatch had several facets that were crazy making.

• Love 1

Eeksquire, we're watching Rachel episodes this week, to discuss next week. Of course, I think we've all seen them before, so it's not like we couldn't discuss them now, if you're dying to get something off your chest. We'll be discussing them in the Season 1 thread.

• Love 2

Oh my ... no one told me about a Gilmore Girls rewatch (looks side eyed at deaja) ... I watched the entire series last year for the first time, and need an excuse for a rewatch, and now I have one! 

Will do my best to catch up quickly ... 

Incidentally ... there is a thread announcing rewatch projects here.  Maybe someone needs to post something there if you want more peeps to join?

• Love 1

Sorry, BizBuzz!   I tell you what, let's forget the fact that you're coming a little late to the party and embrace the fact that you showed up at all. 

I linked the rewatch in the thread you suggested. Maybe more people will join us!

I tell you what, let's forget the fact that you're coming a little late to the party and embrace the fact that you showed up at all.

Just like a Wingnut ... awwww, I am so proud of you!  You have grown up!  ::giggle::

• Love 2
(edited)

So this week (April 18) we'll discuss the end of season one and the beginning of season two. Discussion in the Season 1 and Season 2 threads.....

Love, Daisies and Troubadours

Sadie, Sadie

Hammers and Veils

Red Light on the Wedding Night

Road Trip to Harvard

Edited by cantbeflapped

This week (April 25) for the rewatch we'll discuss the following episodes in the Season 2 thread......

Nick & Nora/Sid & Nancy

Presenting Lorelai Gilmore

Like Mother, Like Daughter

The Ins and Outs of Inns

Run Away Little Boy