Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: XXVI

While transporting a prisoner, Rogers is attacked; violence strikes the Walrus; Silver and Madi are tested; Billy envisions a new role for himself in an upcoming battle.

Another good episode. Jack's rescue was pretty dramatic. I liked how Jack explained to Rogers what lengths Anne would go to to rescue him and them moments later there she is with Vane and his posse.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh, damn at the end with Eleanor entering Vane's cell. 

I liked the bit with the British soldier Max and Eleanor were talking to, because he was kind of the audience proxy ("wait, you think what? what's your plan?") and when he said, "well we have nothing to fucking worry about", throwing their cursing in their faces, reminding us that someone like him would find it impolite and startling that these two women were cursing him left and right.

Flint: Charles Vane swinging over Nassau would look bad. 

Sure buddy sure. Although I think it was more that he felt he owed a debt to Vane and didn't want to look like he couldn't measure up in rescuing Vane while Vane had rescued him, than that he felt bad about leaving Vane behind. Although I do think he felt a bit bad.

re: Vane, I'm kinda thinking (only a spoiler if you haven't read Vane's history)

he is going to the first of the pirates to get hung

, although I suppose there is a chance Blackbeard will bust out and rescue him.

It was funny how Vane decried a longing for material things but then kept circling the teacup in his hands like he was thinking, but gosh, this is really pretty.

When Madi told Silver her men did as she told them he probably wanted to be all, please teach me how to do that, thanks.

Eleanor: I love you now. 

me: whoa, too much girl, too much, back it up.

Whether she meant that seriously or just playing him, it was a bit much too soon either way.

I liked that Hornigold knew that the Walrus' trick of hiding. It would have been a bit annoying if none of the other pirates on Nassau knew the trick and/or couldn't figure it out. Oh, and were Hornigold and Dufresne that close, that he was mad Silver murdered Dufresne, or was he just mad cause overall he saw it as another strike against him from Flint? I don't remember him and Dufresne particularly interacting before they defected back to England.

shallow corner (which is rather crowded today):

That jacket really brought out Rogers' eyes. (Or maybe it was just the full sunlight they were sitting in.) And then disheveled Rogers was nice looking too.

Anne in her "rescue Jack" outfit looked awesome. She looks great when a hat brim is not covering half her face.

I loved Max's robe and her dress. 

ETA: It's funny because the episode description makes it sound like Billy is breaking away or something but he's just like, "you go, I'll stay here and talk to these guys, no sweat."

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2

Ugh, I don't get the attraction to Woodes Rogers, sometimes I forget what he looks like.  To me he's like mayonnaise, basic and upsets my stomach.

I've never liked Vane, so there is that; for me it's the Silver/Flint show.   I never thought he was attractive either, his eyes are too close together, causing him to always appear cross eyed.

I loved what Madi told Silver in the beginning and at the end.  When she mentioned the story of Silver curb stomping Dufrense and how Silver was worried he'd turn into a younger version of Flint, Silver was like, "you're concerned about me," and Madi was like, "no, I'm concerned about this mission and how it effects my people."  

That's why I like the women in this show, they may like the men, but they're not turning themselves into pretzels to get their attention.  Madi has her agenda, Anne loves Jack, but she's her own person too, Eleanor...does she eve know Woodes is married?  Well she's the only one turning herself into a pretzel IMO.  Though someone I know has a different opinion of Eleanor and it's based on the saying, "if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got."  Eleanor might be hitching her wagon to Woodes, not because she's in love with him, but because she lost everything last season and she knows that in order to survive this, she has to do something different.  Though she might love Vane, she has to tell him to fuck off because she'll never get what she needs from him.  

I've never liked Vane, so there is that; for me it's the Silver/Flint show.   I never thought he was attractive either, his eyes are too close together, causing him to always appear cross eyed.

I don't think he's attractive either but he's grown on me, kinda. I find him more interesting this season.

Ugh, I don't get the attraction to Woodes Rogers, sometimes I forget what he looks like.  To me he's like mayonnaise, basic and upsets my stomach.

Different tastes. :) Like to me, I like him, but Billy is the most basic looking one. Sorry Billy! You still have amazing arms!

Anne loves Jack, but she's her own person too

She is her own person, but I do think Jack and Anne are co-dependent. Which I actually like about them, everyone is mostly out for themselves but these two love each other, even if it is in an unhealthy way.

I want the old Eleanor back please, all this bosom heaving panic and stress-scrunched look on her face is not fun. I think we may have seen shades of it with her turning up the swearing in this episode, she did that less when she was in polite company right? I also don't like that they had Max explain the spy situation to her, Eleanor's run that place for years and she should have reached that conclusion on her own.

EDIT:

Also the guy who plays Silver looks like Shia LaBeouf with that beard.

Edited by Fredward
  • Love 2

Very good episode although i did expect a bit more action since we're leading up to the final 3 episodes.

I loved everything Jack/Woods Rogers the entire carriage ride was a great character display. Not as powerful as the Flints/Woods Rogers scene last week but, still entertaining.

This is the first tjme I've really enjoyed Anne Boney's acting (don't know the actress). The scene where she opens the carriage and thinks that Jack is dead was very well done.

Loved the Jack/Anne/Vane reunion, I was always entertained by that trio in S1. To be honest the 3 of them together were the only thme i didn't loathe Vane.

Speaking of character development I still love Flint/Vane as much as Flint/Silver they both have such fascinating dynamics. I loved the Flint/Vane discussion over domesticity.

I'm decidedly on Team Flint so I was really annoyed that Max/Eleanor figured it out and helped capture Vane. However I reserve my absolute hatred for Hornigold (which is sad because I liked him in S1 and early S2).

• Love 2

Every scene with Jack and Woodes continue to be an absolute hightlight !

That chemistry between them, that tensed mixture of understanding, rivalry and desire to prove the other wrong is amazing !

• Love 2
I loved the Flint/Vane discussion over domesticity.

That was such a great scene because, as I saw it, Vane sees domesticity as you give up your freedom to a government and then that government will take care of you. Vane doesn't want that.  

Here's a Treasure Island spoiler:  

I thought the whole domesticity conversation was foreshadowing of TI.  In that book, most of the pirates don't end up well; Flint dies of rum; Billy has a stroke and a heart attack; many of the pirates are killed, I think some were marooned on the island.  The one who does end up pretty okay at the end of TI is Silver.  Silver, strangely enough is the only one with a wife.  Maybe there's a small point that domesticity, at least for men, made their lives better and easier.  I think Silver is a pirate because he has to be, but if he was given an opportunity for a better life, he'd take it.  

She is her own person, but I do think Jack and Anne are co-dependent.

Just a question, why do you think they are co-dependent.  To me, they are the only committed relationship on this show.  

Edited by Neurochick
(edited)

I think they'd go nuts if one of them lost the other, but maybe I'm wrong. But Anne Bonny even when she was sleeping with Max, Max was saying she knew that Rackham was more important to her.

This is the first time I've really enjoyed Anne Boney's acting (don't know the actress). The scene where she opens the carriage and thinks that Jack is dead was very well done.

Clara Paget.

Edited by ulkis

I got such a kick out of opening with Vane going on and on about how the comforts of domesticity will only make you soft and weak while surrounded by the material comforts of the home in which Flint had spent many years with Miranda.  Because it so obviously did that to Flint. (insert sarcasm font here) Vane was like a little kid in that scene, plinking on the piano until told to stop and twirling the pretty teacup around.  It made a nice bookend to an episode that saw his first meeting with the decidedly nondomestic Eleanor since Vane murdered her father to get back at her.

The action sequences of everything involving the rescue and fight were wonderfully done although there everything in me was screaming at them when they shot the other officer to not forget Woodes.  But they did and now they still can't make a clean getaway.  Loved the Jack-Woodes conversation about how pirates see odds vs. conventional wisdom, as well as Jack's story about how he could have been driven to this life in the first place. Jack's become such a serious character after feeling like kind of a lightweight most of the series.

I want to like all the Max-Eleanor stuff but I'm really just kind of over it.  Eleanor did the job for years and by all accounts did it well enough to hold it but now she's apparently forgotten everything she knows about Nassau and its players until oh so clever Max points it out to her.  I also don't have much use for her declaring her undying love and devotion to man in the five minutes sinces he last threatened to hang her.  I'm sure it will turn out in the end that she's just been playing him but I just can't make myself care.  It's dull and entirely too dependent on Max regularly insisting on how smart and powerful she is interspersed with whining about how difficult the job that she fought and connived for has turned out to be.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 3

Eleanor did the job for years but she was there and she was a part of Nassau.  Now she's one half in Nassau and the other half trying to become an English Rose, whereas Max was always in Nassau.  Nassau is Max's only shot, but Eleanor could probably marry some wealthy man and lead a good life, probably not so for Max being a former slave an all.

Ugh, I don't get the attraction to Woodes Rogers, sometimes I forget what he looks like.  To me he's like mayonnaise, basic and upsets my stomach.

Same here. I do not get the appeal of him. He's very bland to me. And I roll my eyes when he speaks of his "hard life", same as I did when Eleanor tried to whine to the woman emptying her freaking pee out the window. Yeah, it's tough when you're born rich, white and well-connected. Rogers "misfortunes" in life were because of decisions and choices he made. He can call me when he's been a slave like the people of Maroon Island, bought and sold. Or when he's ripped from his family and forced into servitude like Billy. Or a child slave like Vane.

Love Rogers and Jack scenes, just because of how Jack always ends up owning him. So many Ranger Feels with their trio reuniting.

I loved that Billy will take on more of a leadership role it would seem. I hope he helps free Vane.

Madi is rocking so far. I'm really liking her. She and Silver make an interesting partnership.

I can't shake the feeling that Eleanor is doomed this season. Can't say I'll be too upset. Anyone who works against my pirate babies can fail epically AFAIC.

I loved that Billy will take on more of a leadership role it would seem. I hope he helps free Vane.

If he does I wonder if Billy will have some extra up his sleeve for Vane. He could still be pissed at Vane for trying to take the man of war at the end of last season.

I don't think Woodes was complaining about his misfortunes or was blaming any of them on anyone/anything else. Rackham was implying that he was soft, and Woodes basically replied that he was tougher than Rackham thought. 

I like how scenes were tied together in this episode.  There was a domesticity theme going through the episode

- Vane & Flint discussion

- The girl with Max tried to make her comfortable sharing with her but Max did not want anything to do with it

- British Admiral who did not want to hear Eleanor & Max's concern (The Brits were too comfortable with their winning)

- Jack & Woodes discussion around comfortable living

- Hornigold showing how much experience he had as captain even though living under the Brits' employ (he was reading a newspaper for crying out loud)

I also like how Woodes were shown as badass who climbed the wagon in the shootout with Flint & co.  He shot Vane and actually fought Vane very brutally.  He showed that what he told Jack was true.  He had done much more gruesome things than what was written in his book 

• Love 2

Another stellar episode!

I liked it so much I watched a couple times. The fight scene between Vane and Rogers was brutal and lovely. I am not spoiled as far as the show goes--- but I am spoiled as far as the characters who are portraying real live once upon a time people -- and the way Rogers was injured hints of the health issues that will continue to plague him going forward. Oh and I can't WAIT for the scene between Eleanore and Vane! I hope it lives up to all my expectataions.

When Eleanore declared to Woodes -- "I love you now" --- it felt more like she was reciting something by rote ---she said it so matter-of-factly--- no emotion. Just a statement of fact. It was weird and feeds into my theory that maybe she isn't exactly "playing" Woodes but more telling him what he wants to hear.  Because right before that she is staring out the window and Woodes is all emoting about what just happened and how he thinks Eleanore is reverting back to her old ways  (which always makes me think -- shut up asshole--- she has lived on Nausea her entire life she knows the score--- besides---she was betrayed -- that's what got her in a jail in England ) and he tells her to turn and look at him. She takes a few moments to school her face into an emotionless mask and only then does she turn around.

I want to like all the Max-Eleanor stuff but I'm really just kind of over it.  Eleanor did the job for years and by all accounts did it well enough to hold it but now she's apparently forgotten everything she knows about Nassau and its players until oh so clever Max points it out to her.  I also don't have much use for her declaring her undying love and devotion to man in the five minutes sinces he last threatened to hang her.  I'm sure it will turn out in the end that she's just been playing him but I just can't make myself care.  It's dull and entirely too dependent on Max regularly insisting on how smart and powerful she is interspersed with whining about how difficult the job that she fought and connived for has turned out to be

THAT! I was like huh? But Eleanore has been basically spending all her time with Woodes and listening to all his threats and doubts and such so she sounded like she was just repeating them to Max. See my above statement -- I really don't believe she declared her undying love to Rogers. I think she only told him what she thinks he wants to hear.

• Love 3

When Eleanore declared to Woodes -- "I love you now" --- it felt more like she was reciting something by rote ---she said it so matter-of-factly--- no emotion. Just a statement of fact. It was weird and feeds into my theory that maybe she isn't exactly "playing" Woodes but more telling him what he wants to hear.

I don't think Woodes quite believed her either though, he was looking at her a little doubtfully. I imagine what got her in to see Vane was her saying "I have no idea what I'll do", which sounded honest, but maybe wasn't, maybe she does know what she'll do,

because in the preview Vane looked like he was out of the cell

. Or I wonder if she didn't get to see Vane of her own request but because Woodes sent her to him to specifically ask him something/get something out of him.

Eleanor did the job for years but she was there and she was a part of Nassau.  Now she's one half in Nassau and the other half trying to become an English Rose, whereas Max was always in Nassau.  Nassau is Max's only shot, but Eleanor could probably marry some wealthy man and lead a good life, probably not so for Max being a former slave an all.

Unless i am wrong Eleanor is still on "probation" more or less in her advisory role with Woodes. She is in a far more precarious position than Max, who can up and leave whenever she wishes, though I agree that her prospects are less ensured if she does so; Eleanor can easily wind up in prison or with a noose around her neck.  I didn't get the sense that Max was informing Eleanor of things she didn't know, but just laying things out for her (and us). It was clearly an exposition dump, but, as when the guys lay out their plans, sometimes it's nice to be privy to the thought processes of the characters.

If he does I wonder if Billy will have some extra up his sleeve for Vane. He could still be pissed at Vane for trying to take the man of war at the end of last season.

I'm always in favor of seeing what Billy has up his sleeves!

• Love 1

I don't think Woodes quite believed her either though, he was looking at her a little doubtfully. I imagine what got her in to see Vane was her saying "I have no idea what I'll do", which sounded honest, but maybe wasn't, maybe she does know what she'll do,

because in the preview Vane looked like he was out of the cell

. Or I wonder if she didn't get to see Vane of her own request but because Woodes sent her to him to specifically ask him something/get something out of him.

I agree. His look was like--say what? only more subtle. He really doesn't trust her. It comes up every episode between them. 

• Love 2

I love this show.

That said, the most ludicrous plot device they've ever utilized is Vane being captured because he was struggling to lift the carriage off jack to rescue him. Why wasn't anyone helping Vane? Why wouldn't they have Billy, who looks fit enough to just pick the whole carriage up on his own, quickly raise the seat? It was such a heavy-handed way of getting him captured.

• Love 1

the most ludicrous plot device they've ever utilized is Vane being captured because he was struggling to lift the carriage off jack to rescue him. Why wasn't anyone helping Vane?

He wasn't trying to lift the carriage -- Jack's leg-irons were padlocked to the floor of the carriage and he was trying to break the lock to get Jack loose, which he succeeds in doing.  But if you really want to think about ludicrous plot points, consider this:  How was Jack able to sit astride a horse while wearing leg irons?

But, I don't care.  That carriage chase/fight scene was magnificent.  I want to see a behind-the-scenes story on how the HELL they shot that. The camera flies all over the place.  And congrats to the actors playing Rogers and Vane because it's clear they actually did the stunts. 

• Love 1

I just re-watched this episode and three points came to mind.

1. When Madi asked John how the ship could exist and not exist at the same time did anyone else think of Schrödinger's cat?
  2. Someone needs to make a .gif of the look on Jack's face after the guards announce that riders are approaching.  The look he give Rogers is just the perfect embodiment of "I told you so."
  3. Madi is the anti-Eleanor.  While Eleanor is being depicted as being driven by and consumed with the desire for revenge against Charles (she tells Rogers in this episode that that was the only thing she was thinking about in her jail cell) Madi tells John how she had to suppress her desire for revenge against the man who beat one of her men because it was not in the long-term best interest of her people. 

I'm really glad Madi has been added to the show.  She's a strong woman I can root for. 

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1