Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: Parental Guidance Recommended

• Start Topic

What sticks out at me about this episode aside from Brenda trying to mend fences way too quickly, is Donna appearing to have landed on "team Kelly"...with how she was like "that's rude" over Iris talking about Brenda in front of Kelly. Which, yeah I guess Iris was rude there, but I would have liked a single conversation with Donna and Brenda about the whole thing with Dylan cheating with Kelly. I know Donna wasn't going to drop her as a friend, but some acknowledgement of Brenda's betrayal would have been nice.

Iris ROCKS! I was sympathetic to pre-saintified Kelly and especially around this time, seeing as she was helping get my Body in Progress with her VHS workout! But I was always Team Brenda and after everyone else had abandoned Brenda, was so happy Iris had her back. They should have sent Brenda to Hawaii instead of England and done a spinoff!

Thanks for these laughs and memories!

• Love 2

So here's a plot point I've always been confused about: are we supposed to believe that the rest of the gang finds out everything about the Brenda/Dylan/Kelly triangle. If so, everyone's insistence that Brenda try to mend fences with her bff and boyfriend who had an affair behind her back is crazy. Just really crazy, especially when it comes to her own family. I mean, even her parents are kind of chill with Dylan and Kelly considering this really is a huge betrayal. Or are we supposed to believe that neither Brenda or Dylan and Kelly told anyone else about the summer of deception and everyone thinks this is just an unfortunate teenage breakup?

• Love 1

The scene with Brenda crying with Jim always breaks my heart, even when I was a teenager, on first viewing. It's horrible enough to go through a break-up but to have him be with your BEST FRIEND immediately afterward would be horrid. I wouldn't even want to go to school or anything!

• Love 4

I don't think anyone (except David) knows about the summer of deception, at least not officially. If this were either real life or the writers were even a little bit better, as soon as Dylan and Kelly first hooked up after the break-up, everyone there would have either strongly suspected or straight-out figured it out, because they were not at all subtle over the summer, but this is 90210 with these writers so I think we're supposed to believe that everyone's just fine with it and doesn't ask questions or even really care. 

I have no idea why Brenda doesn't say anything though. Especially when she starts getting shit for making the whole thing awkward. If it were me the first time anyone gave me a hard time about not being gracious I would have told them everything and probably added a bit of bitter exaggeration too, and given the way she's blamed them for everything else about her situation with Dylan, I'm shocked there's not even a 'this would never have happened if you fuckheads hadn't sent me to Paris' directed at Jim and Cindy. I want to say she's so embarrassed that her pride won't let her tell anyone but I suspect it's mostly just more terrible writing.

I don't like Andrea and I don't especially care, but the way they make her back away from Yale after it apparently being her dream is so terrible. Yeah, snobs, yeah, money, but still, way to teach kids (and girls and "poor" kids, especially) that ambition is futile, show. Just have her go to Yale and bone Jordan and send the occasional postcard about how much ass she's kicking over there and write Carteris off the show - she's only around for another season and some and she's pregnant the entire time and barely part of the gang anyway. It would have been much more satisfying than what actually happened to her. 

I feel like I remember the second half of season three as much more interesting than this but it's really a lot of wheel-grinding and scene-setting for just a few episodes of actual excitement. Bring on DeadJack, I guess? 

• Love 2

Regarding the skis and lack of packaging--I just saw someone walk out of a sporting goods store the other day with new skis and they weren't in any packaging. They just had two straps at the top and bottom holding them together and I the price tag stuck on the top. Of course, they might have been off the clearance rack which would NOT have sufficed for Brandon!

It tickles me when they give ShanDo a line with a tough word in it considering she couldn't even pronounce any easy one like "basketball" properly. Last episode she asked Brandon why he was betting on so many "basketbaw" games. *snort*

• Love 1

Why did the writers spend the first half of Season 3 showing Dylan/Kelly were more compatible only for once they got together to tease some deeper connection with Brenda? It continues in Season 4. How I wish ShanDo had just done one more season to see how different Season 5 would have been.

And yes Valerie does seem to look into Brenda's box of pain in an early ep of Season 5.

Regarding the skis and lack of packaging--I just saw someone walk out of a sporting goods store the other day with new skis and they weren't in any packaging. They just had two straps at the top and bottom holding them together and I the price tag stuck on the top. Of course, they might have been off the clearance rack which would NOT have sufficed for Brandon!

I think you're right actually... now to be clear I haven't bought skis in like 25 years but that still puts it in the range of this show so... for anyone interested, skis are sold separately from the bindings (the things the boots click into) and they don't come in a bag, and you have to also get the bindings put on. You can buy a strap that wraps around the part where your foot would go, that can be used as a handle. You can also put them in a ski bag but they don't come with one.