Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Racket

Drogo

Richie's counseling session with Devon brings out his uglier side, which she uses as ammunition during a meeting with an attorney, but he turns on the charm to woo a funk superstar. Meanwhile, Zak and Scott ponder their futures in the wake of the Polygram catastrophe; the Nasty Bits look for a new manager; and Skip strikes out trying to get rid of bootlegs.

I was going to do a drinking game around Richie doing blow, but I would be dead so I had to cancel that. Then I thought we could do it on bands named - oops! As Jeff Drake has made clear, again we would have a problem. This show isn't even a good hate watch. The only thing to come from it are OTT GIFs of Bobby Canavale's reactions. The scenery is riddled with teeth marks.

• Love 4

Yeah, this episode definitely a let down after the last.  Even the music wasn't all that great, though I appreciated Pink Floyd and Janis. 

I don't quite understand the business with the extra records.  I think something about if they aren't official "returns" to the label (because they wouldn't sell, and which the label would then have to pay for out of pocket/reimburse the retailer), the label can surreptitiously destroy them, and claim they were "lost" (i.e. stolen?) and then record it as a "loss" on the books to help offset the income/gains and therefore pay less taxes and/or pocket the money from the artist?  No love lost for Osmond.

I don't get how Richie can't organize his acts and keep an appointment calendar.  You have one of your big winning acts coming in to renegotiate/sign his new contract and you have to entertain him and his crew all day and go to his concert because your rival is trying like hell to steal him from you?  Then don't ask your brand-new band to come in to sign their contract on the same day.  Schedule them for the next day where you can give them proper attention.  If Richie had done that, he would have avoided the cops, and the new band wouldn't have gotten a vengeful/smart/experienced new manager.

I also have no real interest in the domestic 'drama' of Richie and Devon and their failing marriage.

• Love 2

Word.

I am totally fascinated at how this show has taken one of my favorite eras in popular music and made me not care.

I know, right. Also, I've read a lot of biographies from the time, and I think one of the biggest problems is that Richie comes off as someone's corny old grandpa. All the histrionics with doing a line? Really? Everyone just passed around the mirror and did a toot; no one was going into orbit like a goofy old creeper.  I can't imagine any of the artists thinking of him as anything other than a lame, sleazy, old cornball. Yelling and slamming the door in everyone's face? He looks the opposite of cool. He looks like a silly, out of touch douche of a used car salesman-- the kind of person you never wanted to party with because he killed everyone's buzz.

• Love 6

Olivia Wilde is just so, so lame.  So lame.  Always.  In everything.  How many opportunities is she going to get in Hollywood?  She was like the eighth best actor on House and yet she just keeps getting these chances and she is never good.  It's like she's on a different show than the rest of the cast.

• Love 4

Olivia Wilde is just so, so lame. So lame. Always. In everything. How many opportunities is she going to get in Hollywood? She was like the eighth best actor on House and yet she just keeps getting these chances and she is never good. It's like she's on a different show than the rest of the cast.

I actually like her on this show. I don't like her character so far (because I've seen it too many times), but she's arguably better than a lot of the other people in Vinyl.

I totally agree about her on House. Never liked her on that show.

I do like the idea of Lester managing the Nasty Bits and sticking it to Richie, even if it happened the most random way possible.  It sure was lucky that Lester picked that particular day to show up and burn his recordings in front of Richie!

I wish they did a better job explaining what was exactly going on with those Donnie Osmond records and why Skip had to hide them.  I get it has something to do with those audits, but I don't get what exactly was illegal about making those records.

At this point, I just don't see how any artist worth their salt would want to work for American Century, considering how poorly Richie has been running the show.  It certainly doesn't help that not only is Richie still snorting up enough cocaine to kill an elephant, but he keeps isolating Zak and the rest, and trying to do everything himself, and that will cost him big time.

I do hope they start moving Devon pass being just a bitter wife.  I know she had that whole raising money for the dancers thing and I was hoping she might step back into Warhol's world some more, plus more on whoever that Ingrid character was they introduced episodes back.

Also, show needs more Jamie.

Truly, I want to know what the reviewers (nobody in PTV) saw in this ep to say that the show began to find its legs now and becomes something reasonably compelling.  I am at a complete and total loss here.

The record company financials are so hopeless and they are so cash poor, it is literally impossible for things to continue as it has any longer.  Then again, this would not be the first show to set up such a bleak reality and to pretend it never happened when they needed the audience to forget it happened.

I would have paid cash to watch the various crew getting off as they set up and then filmed the shot of Richie leaving the Brill Building in that glass revolving door.  I'd laugh my butt off as they most assuredly and excitedly made references to some arty shot in some movie, and the deeeeeeep meaning the shot had to this show.  

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1

I actually like her on this show. I don't like her character so far (because I've seen it too many times), but she's arguably better than a lot of the other people in Vinyl.

I totally agree about her on House. Never liked her on that show.

She was awful on House.  Olivia Wilde is from like a really wealthy Hollywood behind the scenes family.

However, her acting is not bad here, but how many times are we going to see the "beautiful woman in a gilded cage" trope, before we stop caring?  She is like a walking cliche.

We have all seen and heard all this shit about the seventies and nothing is here is innovative.