Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Beaches, Boats and Bates

• Start Topic

It’s chaos at the Bates’ home as the gang packs up and heads to Florida for some fun in the sun. The family hits the beach to play, build sandcastles, and snorkel for the first time. The boys try their luck fishing for dinner, but not everyone is so sure about the catch of the day ending up on their plate.

Not a terribly exciting episode, but it was nice to see Alyssa again.  I think I heard Kelly use the word "dude," which was pretty funny.

Nathan and Lawson both have really nice bodies.  *runs out of the room*

• Love 1

I thought it was funny several of the guys couldn't make it because they had to work. That would be a foreign concept in the Duggar world.

Nothing against Alyssa but she comes off as snotty, like she's clearly moved up in the world and her backwoods relatives are something to be tolerated, not enjoyed. She rubbed me the wrong way when she reprimanded Carlin for causing Allie to spit up, as if Carlin's never held a baby before.

Erin really should've had a hat on Carson. The youngest Bates girl is so freaking cute. I can't remember her name, but she's the little blonde one.

• Love 7

Their group seemed so small this time!  I bet it was nice for them to not have to move around with such a large group for once.

they had me with teaching Jeb manners until Gil started throwing the word obey in his face constantly.  That makes you remember what their true values/teachings are. 

And don't get me wrong.. I think it's great they try to stop tantrums immediately but the whole obedience thing rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe even if they just used a different word than obey?

• Love 2

I'm not a parent, but the "obey" thing doesn't sound entirely inappropriate for a child as young as Jeb.  It's not like Kelly and Gil are slaves to discipline.  Mostly I was impressed to see Gil actually being a father instead of letting one of the older kids do the discipline.

• Love 3

I'm not a parent, but the "obey" thing doesn't sound entirely inappropriate for a child as young as Jeb.  It's not like Kelly and Gil are slaves to discipline.  Mostly I was impressed to see Gil actually being a father instead of letting one of the older kids do the discipline.

Oh I agree completely.  It's just that he went from trying to talk reason into him "did you already go in the kayak?" to suddenly "claps your hands for me so I know you'll obey me"

However you can tell Jeb and Gil have an amazing father/son bond.... Jeb is always attached to him.  It's adorable.

• Love 1

Ratings don't seem too poor considering that their show can be very difficult to find and is not carried by a number of providers.  I have DISH and have to set my default to ALL channels to see it, which means that I see the majority of the listings twice, once for reg and the 2nd for HD.  Annoying.  If it was more widely and easily available I think the ratings would be higher.  How does it do compared to other shows on UP?

The word obey did make me a little uncomfortable when I heard Gil say it. I thought for sure there would be lots of criticism for it.

My parents are conservative and I was raised to obey without question, but when I was a young mother my father explained it to me this way: when your children are young they need to learn to obey immediately because there are circumstances that obedience is a safety issue. If your child is in immediate danger (running into traffic, touching something hot, falling, etc) and the parent tells the child to stop, the child should know to immediately "obey". If the child is not used to obeying without question there is a safety issue.

Obeying was never about control, but it was about the parents being able to see the "big picture" that the child was not able to see.

BTW I was allowed to wear pants, date and have a job!

• Love 8

I liked this episode. I thought Alyssa came across as snotty, too, but maybe she was just having a bad day. I liked watching them fish esp when Callie caught one & was explaining how she reeled it in. Kelly's reaction to the horseshoe crab when they were snorkeling was priceless-I forgot what she called it something like a "water rodent." Unless I missed it at the beginning because I was doing something else, I was happy to hear they didn't go on about why the girls wear modest swimwear. It looked like the guys wore normal swim trunks not wearing jeans in the water like the Duggars did when they were at the beach on the overseas trip. I thought the girls looked fine. IIRC, their swim skirts were above the knee & one girl had on a sleeveless top.

• Love 1
(edited)
I thought it was funny several of the guys couldn't make it because they had to work. That would be a foreign concept in the Duggar world.

An even more foreign concept was that Tori couldn't go because of her college classes. I remember in a prior season they went on a trip (I think to visit some relatives) and Michaela couldn't go because of her nanny job.

I did think Gil having Jeb clap to show he would obey was a little odd, but overall impressed with Gil's disciplining Jeb. I liked that when Gil was carrying Jeb back outside he told him that they could have been on the beach the whole time but had wasted time in the house because of Jeb's tantrum. Good lesson for a child to learn, not only that pitching a fit is not going to work to get his way, but that it just wasted time that he could have spent been doing something fun.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 6

Not a terribly exciting episode, but it was nice to see Alyssa again. I think I heard Kelly use the word "dude," which was pretty funny.

Nathan and Lawson both have really nice bodies. *runs out of the room*

Nathan and Lawson do have nice bodies...lol!

• Love 1

The word "obey" irks me to death because I know what it means in their cult. However, watching it, I think he means 'listen and follow directions'.

Alyssa is a serious victim of RBF. She looked so annoyed at everything.

She does have major RBF. I have a feeling neither she nor John wanted to come, but felt obligated because it was within driving distance. You could practically see them counting down the minutes until they could get out of there and high tail it back to Orlando.

• Love 1

She does have major RBF. I have a feeling neither she nor John wanted to come, but felt obligated because it was within driving distance. You could practically see them counting down the minutes until they could get out of there and high tail it back to Orlando.

She was down right glaring at her sisters during their grocery shopping trip.

I saw that Kelly posted a birthday message to Allie along the lines of "you have a grandma in Tennessee who loves you!" I feel like there's a story there.

• Love 1

She was down right glaring at her sisters during their grocery shopping trip.

I saw that Kelly posted a birthday message to Allie along the lines of "you have a grandma in Tennessee who loves you!" I feel like there's a story there.

I think Alyssa may be feeling some resentment now that she's away from the Gothard cult and seeing all the things she missed out on. Even though she and John are still Fundie Lite, her life is much more mainstream now.

I also think Alyssa is just a reserved person by nature, so a loud, in-your-face family clashes with her personality type. I did feel bad for Carlin though. I thought she looked hurt when Alyssa had an attitude with her in the grocery store.

• Love 1

Alyssa and John came home last Christmas, and the whole family was just in Florida for Allie's birthday party.  Maybe Kelly feels a little sad that they aren't closer, but it's not like they never see them.

Alyssa and John came home last Christmas, and the whole family was just in Florida for Allie's birthday party. Maybe Kelly feels a little sad that they aren't closer, but it's not like they never see them.

A party that was being filmed for television for which the Bates KKKlan is contractually obligated to attend.