Type keyword(s) to search

Trent Harmon

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Yes I think Trent needs to watch himself in a mirror when he sings and sometimes his high notes go a bit wonky but overall he is basically my 2nd or 3rd favorite this year and would like to see him make top 3. He's easily the best vocalist of the guys this year IMO. One thing he really has going for him is that people don't expect him to sing R&B. I thought his audition was one of the best of the whole season. Really liked his What Are You Listening To? and the Sam Smith song he did last week. He's one of the ones I look forward to hearing every week. He's pretty nice and down to earth, funny, and charming too, he has this unassuming appeal about him. That being said, for the most part I haven't been inclined to seek out anything about him outside of the show, other than I watched a couple of his Periscopes. Fun fact: He follows me on Instagram! Pretty cool.

Poor Trent.  He's on the threshold of either being the last winner ever of American Idol, or at least the last runner-up ever.  Yet he only has 5 comments on his thread.  Doesn't seem right...so I'll do my part and make it 6 replies.

I enjoy Trent's performances, and think he's an outstanding vocalist.  His first performance of "Chandelier" was one of my favorite Idol moments in the last many years. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I think he is talented, humble and likable.  I think that, as good as his voice is, it will get even better and stronger over the next couple of years.  I think that he is a very determined guy -- he could have packed up and gone home when he had mono but he forged ahead.  He was not going to give up.

Also, Trent was always interested in what the judges and mentors had to say -- he was never disrespectful or sassy, as some contestants have been over the years.  He wanted to learn.  He wanted to get better.  In fact, his politeness only added to his charm ("Miss Jennifer," "Miss Sia," "Mr. Keith Urban").  You can tell he was raised by good people.

Trent and La'Porsha both seem like really good people, and so it makes me feel better that they were the final 2.  If it had been some obnoxious, cocky, full-of-themselves final 2 I would have hated that one of them won.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 3

A wiki page has already been created in his honor. The thing that I am wondering is where did they get the confirmation that Trent is gay. AFAIK, he never came out.

I had heard anything about him coming out either.  Interesting, indeed!

Lol, he is definitely not gay. The girl who was with him at his audition is his longtime girlfriend. But that doesn't matter...

So happy for Trent. Among the 2, Trent is the less polished contestant. Both in vocals and performance. But give him a few years with more experience and wow, imagine wnat he could do. I'm consistently surprised by what he can do with his voice and that's a very good thing. It doesn't hurt that he seems like such a sweet soul.

• Love 2
(edited)

Does anyone else think he looks like Glen Campbell? That's all I can see when I look at him.

Wow! Now that you mention it, I do set some of Glen Campbell in Trent. With a Glen wig, I bet he could double the biopic that eventually will come out. Trying you song like Glen may help Trent calm down his face as well.

I Like Trent, again as someone said up thread, he seems like a nice guy, plus he songs the hell out of songs. La Porsha was great too, though. Either one and America wins.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 1

I just realized that The Last American Idol is... the one finalist ever who didn't have to do Group Night!  (Although I don't know if they had Group Night in the early seasons, so I could be wrong.)

I just realized that The Last American Idol is... the one finalist ever who didn't have to do Group Night!  (Although I don't know if they had Group Night in the early seasons, so I could be wrong.)

I don't know about Season 1, but Season 7 skipped group night.  They brought it back again for Season 8.

Technically, Trent did do Group Night, he was just a group of 1. He was probably too sick to even argue with himself.

Interestingly, the top 3 were 3 of the 4 that were advanced by the judges (skipped the first voting round). Olivia was the fourth.

• Love 1

Trent is definitely not gay. I've heard his reaction in an interview about JLo flirting with him. He obviously liked it - a lot! I also know that he has a girlfriend.

There was a brief interview with Trent and Dalton this morning on my local FOX station. Trent was asked what he was doing exactly one year ago today. Being honest, he said that he had just moved off the farm into his own apartment. He told his parents that he wanted to seriously pursue music. Their reaction was that he would be back home broke in a few months, and he was always welcomed. I wonder if this explains the awkwardness between him and his Dad when Trent returned home?

Of course Idol didn't mention any of this, making it look like Trent jumped off his tractor and went to the Idol audition, lol

• Love 1

Sounds like Trent is pragmatic (Billboard):

"I am fully aware of the fact that all that happened tonight is that it got me to the bottom of the next level. That’s all I really wanted was I just wanted a fighting chance. This doesn’t put me at the top of radio, it doesn’t put me in the top 100, it just gets me to the bottom of the next level up and I’m good with that.”

• Love 5

Sounds like Trent is pragmatic (Billboard):

"I am fully aware of the fact that all that happened tonight is that it got me to the bottom of the next level. That’s all I really wanted was I just wanted a fighting chance. This doesn’t put me at the top of radio, it doesn’t put me in the top 100, it just gets me to the bottom of the next level up and I’m good with that.”

He has realistic expectations and I'm excited for his next step. He seems hardworking and ambitious.

Some of him speaking at press conferences:

• Love 1

Trent was one of my favorites all season, and barring a couple performances (Counting Stars), he had a really solid, consistenly good run on the show. I heard he worked harder than any of the other finalists. He fought through mono, as we all know. Rick Barker, the social media coach for the contestants, said he worked on it harder and more often than anyone else, which I believe to be true because Trent does a LOT of Periscopes. Trent himself said he was always rehearsing and practicing different things. We saw him in a video package standing in front of the mirror, trying not to make faces. He brought out the journal onstage where he said he wrote down all the judges' comments. He showed hard work really can and does pay off. That work ethic is what will ultimately take him very far in the music industry. 

• Love 3