Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Prince

The episode was weird.  But I want to take a moment to thank the Gods of Television that Prince has turned down all offers to be, like, a judge on The Voice [or guest on Miley Cyrus: Unplugged] and therefore retains his aura of cool.  He's not even dating a single Kardashian!

• Love 2

I loved this, but perhaps mainly for the one scene of Nick and Jess FREAKING OUT over Prince and the fact that Prince literally told them they could. I rewound it several times.

Schmidt eating the lemon also cracked me up.

Not a perfect episode at all but it definitely had some laughs.

• Love 2

Were there things happening in this episode besides Prince? I wasn't paying attention to them. I was, however, enthralled by Prince. He has the absolute perfect balance of being incredibly creepy and completely magnetic, and somehow manages to find a hairstyle that makes him resemble a very tiny Dorothy Zbornak, but still pulls that off. And his delivery on "Not before you finish your pancake," was just great. I didn't realize before how much I wanted to eat pancakes with Prince.

• Love 4

Delurking with more love for this episode. Prince (RIP) owned every bit of it, whether he was onscreen or not. This episode proved Prince wasn't just a brilliant musician/singer/composer, he was funny. He not only had perfect comic timing, his willingness to do a loving self-parody showed that he was a good sport. Of course, being portrayed as a pancake-loving, ping-pong playing and possibly magical oracle didn't hurt. Prince's playing matchmaker for Jess and Nick was charming, makeover and all. As for the guys, their determination to crash Prince's party was comedy gold, whether it was Winston & Coach's scam, Nick's using a "supermodel Trojan horse" or Schmidt's tree-climbing/Frisbee retrieving.

Jess' initial responses to Nick's profession of love for her ("finger guns," fainting) were what inspired Prince's  intervention. Speaking of intervention, Nick seemed to need one after his drunk ass ruined Winston & Coach's chances with the two hot chicks, but since he was hurt because of Jess' apparent rejection, I'll let it slide. As for Schmidt, his sacrificing a potential threesome to stay with his friends was cool of him. Speaking of cool, Prince's duet with Jess was that & more. Jess' freestyling with Prince proved just how magical Prince was. Re CeCe's Ping-Pong game with Prince, if I were her, I would've let Prince win unless otherwise instructed, because, Prince.

I had to go back and rewatch this because I had forgotten some details, and I really enjoyed seeing it again, and reading Liz Meriweather's memories of making it. When I first saw it I thought the ping pong stuff was just a silly thing they threw in there, but apparently Prince was really awesome at it, and Jimmy Fallon told a funny story about it:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/jimmy-fallon-on-getting-whooped-by-prince-in-ping-pong-20160426

(edited)

Video of Zooey telling Conan the story about Prince vetoing the Kardashians from his episode (same story as above, just thought I'd embed the video) - apparently Lamorne told a similar version of this story last week on a podcast, explaining that Prince didn't want anyone at his fictional party who he wouldn't want at one of his real parties.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2