Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: Weird Al

Stinger97
  • Start Topic

I cried and cried over the lost of first love between Adam and Dana. I remember mine and how much it sucked when it was over. Loved the Say Anything bit. Also liked the mom trying to fix it but just coming off as a stalker.

• Love 5

The ending was pretty sad.  I remember when my first girlfriend and I split.  That helpless feeling that the train is heading off the rails and nothing can be done to prevent it.  

On a more positive note, Weird Al hasn't aged a bit.

• Love 5

Damn, show! You caught me off guard with an episode titled "Weird Al." While not one of the funnier epsiodes this show has ever done, I thought it was one of the best. The characters were a bit more subtle than usual, but all played their roles well. The moment between Dana and Bev was really touching.

• Love 2

For an episode with Weird Al, that was a rather sad, bittersweet episode. A really well done episode though.

I figured Adam and Dana wouldn't be forever, but it was still sad to see it end. First loves are tough, especially when they inevitably end. At least they ended on a good note, with lots of good memories. Memories they can remember thanks to Bev being a bit of a stalker.

Getting a little...sniffly in here... 

• Love 5

I was hoping for more weird Al.  I really liked the Tim Meadows character ("heck ya I can change your grade") but all of the yelling between Barry and Erika has got to stop!!!  So tired of it.

Best part was when Bev confronted Al and after she left she said something to the effect "I pay you guys for security and you let this one get near me."

What an odd episode. Not that I'm saying it was bad, but it was kind of bizarre. I mean even with soft focus, Al doesn't really look the same, even with a wig and fake stache emulating his 80s look. And if they were going for a buffoon version of him--not a bad idea--I actually don't think they went far enough. 

It's been clear for a while that this show's strange development with the girlfriend in a different city wasn't working--it wasn't allowing us to see enough life development from Adam. I actually wish Dana as the distant girlfriend had been resolved a while ago, so it's actually a relief they finally got around to it. But they DID kind of sacrifice a bit of Adam's dignity to do so. The way they played this out Adam came off as quite an insensitive dumbass. Sure Dana changed, but Adam was shown as not even NOTICING she had until it was pointed out to him. It came off as really self-centered... and not in a comedic way. 

There were things to like here too. Tim Meadows was great (as he usually is when he's on this show). The Erica/Barry subplot, while a smaller part of the episode, was charming. Murray's role in that B plot was brief, but funny.

Bev was Bev. For good or ill she's played the same way in most situations. Here I think it didn't hurt the Adam plot, and we got some good humor out of her stalker tendencies in having all that "documentation" on Adam and Dana's relationship--and that in way is what saved it somewhat.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

While Bev was doing Bev things, I like that she was ultimately supportive of their relationship. There have been a lot of episodes of Bev coping with her Children growing up by trying to do what ever she could to stop that. This episode she was comfortable with Adam having a girlfriend, whom she's previously seen as "the other woman." Even if it was for her own selfish purposes, her response to break up wasn't to baby him, but be a supportive mother. First in trying to salvage the relationship. Then just being there for him. Nobody shit-talked Dana, they just acknowledged the reality of the situation.

• Love 2

It's been awhile since a Goldbergs episode made me cry but it's when this show is at it's best--just very honest. 

RIP Adam and Dana. I like that the door isn't completely shut on them :')

• Love 2

As much as some fight while growing up, there really is a bond like no other with one's siblings. 

truer words were never spoken.  Upthread, someone mentioned that they don't like the Barry and Erica arguing all the time.  In my Greek and Italian household, that is exactly how me and my brothers communicated.  LOL.  Just yesterday, I unfollowed my little bro on Facebook....I following him again about an hour later.  It's the equivalent of storming out of room, I tell him I'm unfollowing him.  (we are in our 50's, really low 50's)

• Love 6