Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, millennium said:

I'm a bit puzzled.   Scarborough is praising Netanyahu's speech yesterday and also his use of Israeli soldiers and former hostages as human props.   But on every other MSNBC show I watched the speech was widely panned, with criticisms of its "red-meat" content and its lack of a conciliatory tone that might hint at a deal.

It leads me to wonder, is Mika close friends with the Netanyahu family, too?

Joe is an Evangelical Christian. 

This group supports Israel for one reason.  They believe Israel is where Christ will arrive when he comes back. It is where all the true believers will be raptured up to Heaven. Therefore, Israel must be maintained for them, so that they will go to Heaven.  Or whatever. 

I wish someone would ask Joe about the lies told by Bibi yesterday regarding civilian deaths in Rafah. 

https://www.npr.org/2024/07/25/nx-s1-5051749/fact-checking-netanyahus-claim-that-rafah-civilian-casualties-are-practically-none

• Like 2
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, SeanBug said:

Joe is an Evangelical Christian. 

He often says he was raised Baptist.   I've never heard him to profess being Evangelical.

Not to split hairs, but being Baptist doesn't necessarily mean one is an Evangelical Christian.  Evangelicalism, known in the past as being "born again," comes with an additional set of beliefs.

When I was in my twenties and working on a freelance basis, I knew a guy who often threw work my way on behalf of the company he worked for.   As time went on, this fellow left the company to start his own outfit and brought me along with him.  For awhile he used my services almost exclusively, for which I was grateful (as it accounted for a large portion of my income)  Then his baby daughter developed a serious medical condition.   As he later told me, he grew desperate and promised God that if God saved his daughter, he would accept Jesus as his savior.   Well, the baby pulled through, so her father became a born again.

I was raised Catholic, so I was like, okay, sure, to each their own.  I thought no more about it.   Until a few weeks later when he called to tell me he could no longer do business with me because I was not "saved."  He said he could only work with other born agains.   He said good luck and goodbye.

Losing that piece of business put me in a tight spot and ultimately led to me having to give up freelancing and move away from my beloved native state to find employment.   Circumstances have never made it feasible for me to move back there. 

Needless to say, my view of evangelicals is not a positive one.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, millennium said:

He often says he was raised Baptist.   I've never heard him to profess being Evangelical.

Not to split hairs, but being Baptist doesn't necessarily mean one is an Evangelical Christian.  Evangelicalism, known in the past as being "born again," comes with an additional set of beliefs.

When I was in my twenties and working on a freelance basis, I knew a guy who often threw work my way on behalf of the company he worked for.   As time went on, this fellow left the company to start his own outfit and brought me along with him.  For awhile he used my services almost exclusively, for which I was grateful (as it accounted for a large portion of my income)  Then his baby daughter developed a serious medical condition.   As he later told me, he grew desperate and promised God that if God saved his daughter, he would accept Jesus as his savior.   Well, the baby pulled through, so her father became a born again.

I was raised Catholic, so I was like, okay, sure, to each their own.  I thought no more about it.   Until a few weeks later when he called to tell me he could no longer do business with me because I was not "saved."  He said he could only work with other born agains.   He said good luck and goodbye.

Losing that piece of business put me in a tight spot and ultimately led to me having to give up freelancing and move away from my beloved native state to find employment.   Circumstances have never made it feasible for me to move back there. 

Needless to say, my view of evangelicals is not a positive one.

I am shocked and saddened by this behaviour. In Canada, it would be considered to be very rude to ask about anyone's religious affiliation when doing business.

Joe was raised Southern Baptist & still attends church. He frequently quotes sections of the Bible to guests on the show.

Joe said he would win a game of Jeopardy if it focused on the Bible.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, oakville said:

I am shocked and saddened by this behaviour. In Canada, it would be considered to be very rude to ask about anyone's religious affiliation when doing business.

It's very wrong here, too.  In fact, I believe employers are forbidden from asking prospective employees about their religion.

He never asked me directly.  He and I had worked closely for a time, went away on  business trips together, had dinners, etc., so along the way he gleaned an impression of my background.

• Like 1

Why does this show have to be turned over to Lemire (or Willy) when Joe and Mika aren't there. They're energy less.

Oy. James Carville is so 1990's.  Is he angry that he wasn't part of President Obama's historic election of 2008

• Like 2

I can't bring myself to watch the show any longer after Biden's disaster.  It felt like they went haywire above their ordinary extremes that were already barely watchable.
What does the merry band of misfits think of Kamala and JD Vance?  

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lowcountry snark said:

I can't bring myself to watch the show any longer after Biden's disaster.  It felt like they went haywire above their ordinary extremes that were already barely watchable.

Do you really need an answer? 😂

Mika's trying to take credit for  making her part of KYV years ago or something 

Seems most of the attention re JD is his crazy cat lady comments and other anti women beliefs 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, tres bien said:

Oy. James Carville is so 1990's.  Is he angry that he wasn't part of President Obama's historic election of 2008

I think Carville has seen Democrats snatch defeat from the jaws of victory so often that he is afraid to hope anymore.   I don't blame him.   I can't escape the feeling something bad is coming.

3 hours ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Joe and Mika have not been on enough to know.  The last few times I saw them, they were either pro-Biden-on-steroids or pro-Netanyahu-on-steroids.

As for the rest, I have no use for them so I usually tune out their segments.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, tres bien said:

Why does this show have to be turned over to Lemire (or Willy) when Joe and Mika aren't there. They're energy less.

The Scarboroughs are probably terrified of leaving the show in more capable hands for fear that the network will realize they are not indispensable.

The fact that not one of MSNBC's other show hosts rarely if ever appear as guests or guest hosts of Morning Joe is weird, especially when you consider how interchangeably they substitute for each other on all the other shows.   Try to imagine Nicole Wallace, Katy Tur or Katy Phang on Morning Joe.   It feels almost taboo.

It is a testament to the Scarborough's clout with the network that Rachel Maddow has not left her imprint on Morning Joe.   She has managed to invade every other show on MSNBC, to the point that I actually feel bad for the regular hosts.   Maddow was supposed to have semi-retired to one day a week, but now EVERY time some big new development comes along she reaches into her closet of black jackets and black tops and inserts herself in whatever show happens to be airing at the moment.   She was sick last week, her voice nearly hoarse, yet she reliably zoomed in to one of the shows to offer her pronouncements.   And she is always placed at the head of those all-female  panel shows MSNBC puts on seemingly every evening now.   If you can't tell, I think Maddow is terrifically overrated and I am SICK of hearing about her podcast which she shamelessly plugs each and every time.

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, millennium said:

The Scarboroughs are probably terrified of leaving the show in more capable hands for fear that the network will realize they are not indispensable.

Try to imagine Nicole Wallace, Katy Tur or Katy Phang on Morning Joe.   It feels almost taboo.

Mika & Joe used to allow Willie & Savannah Guthrie to co-host the show when they were away.

Nicole "Cackles" Wallace was a regular panelist in 2015 & 2016. She used to laugh at Mika & Joe.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika & Joe used to allow Willie & Savannah Guthrie to co-host the show when they were away.

Nicole "Cackles" Wallace was a regular panelist in 2015 & 2016. She used to laugh at Mika & Joe.

Geist is no better than a chatbot, IMO.  If he had a personality I suppose it would have shown through by now.   I sure haven't seen it.

Nicole can still laugh at them -- her show is much better than MJ, both in tone and quality of guests and panelists.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 7/25/2024 at 11:10 AM, oakville said:

Joe had breakfast with a top executive after the show. He told Joe that the USA is doing better than China on the economy & population. The USA is doing much better after COVID-19 than its competitors.

Ed Luce said Trump will get mad if the Federal Reserve cuts interest rates in September.

I thought Luce was trolling Joe and I loved it. Joe has time for leisurely weekday breakfasts with his distinguished friends because he so rarely appears on his eponymous show. Meanwhile McCaskill & Palmieri are setting alarms 18 hours each day to appear on MSNBC and Lemire is probably getting treated for exhaustion. 

14 hours ago, tres bien said:

I actually liked Jonathan's energy this morning and enjoyed the first hour. Although I wonder if Joe sent Lemire an email (read with tone) demanding he make that weird announcement during the opener that this was a planned Joe & Mika vacation.

I actually appreciated what Carville had to say and I don't think he's wrong. People are getting downright smug and we cannot afford that.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/26/2024 at 9:52 PM, chick binewski said:

I actually appreciated what Carville had to say and I don't think he's wrong. People are getting downright smug and we cannot afford that.

I would say people are excited and happy to have the energy and promise the Harris presidency could bring.  When people feel like this, they get out and vote.  I don't think when Election day rolls around people are going to stay at home. I imagine this may break records for turn out. 

This reminds me of 2007, when Obama became the nominee. There was such a feeling of 'we can do this", and that turns into votes. 

The millions of dollars raised, the thousands of volunteers, 18-34 year olds are registering to vote, and the White Women For Kamala Zoom call broke Zoom, and raised a shit ton of money.  

There's still a lot of work to be done, but this is just the push Dems needed to get their shit together.  I don't watch MJ much any more, I'd rather watch the evening shows with the ladies, Nicole, Alex, Jen, Joy, and Rachel.  But if Joe and Mika are off, I may watch.  I like calm informative talk, not non stop cry talking and Joe reminding us about being in Congress or who his new imaginary friends are. 

Edited by SeanBug
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, SeanBug said:

I would say people are excited and happy to have the energy and promise the Harris presidency could bring.  When people feel like this, they get out and vote. 

This reminds me of 2007, when Obama became the nominee. There was such a feeling of 'we can do this", and that turns into votes. 

The millions of dollars raised, the thousands of volunteers, 18-34 year olds are registering to vote, and the White Women For Kamala Zoom call broke Zoom, and raised a shit ton of money.  

There's still a lot of work to be done, but this is just the push Dems needed to get their shit together.  I don't watch MJ much any more, I'd rather watch the evening shows with the ladies, Nicole, Alex, Jen, Joy, and Rachel. 

I would say the main value Kamala brings over Biden is youth and being a woman of color.  I understand that excitement.  But she can't really choose too progressive positions.  That is why her candidacy in 2020 and the candidacies of some others in the 2020 primary stalled and Biden got more support from centrists.

Because Kamala has to win over swing state voters, not just the young and POC who have been energized in the past week or two.

Also, Biden won those Midwest states with many older white voters who didn't like Trump and thought Biden was a good alternative because he wasn't seen as too progressive.

• Like 3
On 7/26/2024 at 3:17 PM, millennium said:

Geist is no better than a chatbot, IMO.  If he had a personality I suppose it would have shown through by now.   I sure haven't seen it.

Nicole can still laugh at them -- her show is much better than MJ, both in tone and quality of guests and panelists.

Nicole was grateful to be a regular guest on Morning Joe after she was fired from The View. She used to brag about her parents being Trump supporters anytime Trump was a guest on the show. She was reluctant to criticize Trump. She did once towards the end of the 2016 campaign & Mika snapped at her.

Willie is a pleasant host of Sunday Today. He doesn't make any political comments on that show.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, oakville said:

Nicole was grateful to be a regular guest on Morning Joe after she was fired from The View. She used to brag about her parents being Trump supporters anytime Trump was a guest on the show. She was reluctant to criticize Trump. She did once towards the end of the 2016 campaign & Mika snapped at her.

I wonder how her relationship with her parents stands today, if they're still alive.

Unfortunately the last two weeks have been vacation time across almost all the MSNBC shows.  This week Nicole is apparently off, and the Scarboroughs have been on a "planned vacation" since late last week.   I don't know what the show is trying to say by describing it each morning as a "planned vacation."  Don't most people plan their vacations?   Lemire and Geist also have been going out of their way to assure us that in the event of some big news development, "Joe and Mika will drop in" to the show to give us their views.   Oh please, please, please, almighty Scarboroughs, do not deprive us of your privileged observations in our time of need!  How beneficent, how magnanimous you are to even consider interrupting your "planned vacation" to enlighten us, your lowly viewers!

• Like 2
15 hours ago, millennium said:

I wonder how her relationship with her parents stands today, if they're still alive.

Unfortunately the last two weeks have been vacation time across almost all the MSNBC shows.  This week Nicole is apparently off, and the Scarboroughs have been on a "planned vacation" since late last week.   I don't know what the show is trying to say by describing it each morning as a "planned vacation."  Don't most people plan their vacations?   Lemire and Geist also have been going out of their way to assure us that in the event of some big news development, "Joe and Mika will drop in" to the show to give us their views.   Oh please, please, please, almighty Scarboroughs, do not deprive us of your privileged observations in our time of need!  How beneficent, how magnanimous you are to even consider interrupting your "planned vacation" to enlighten us, your lowly viewers!

I am sure her parents are happy that she has a successful cable news show.

I find it hilarious that Lemire has to mention Mika & Joe's planned vacation every day. It must be related to the fact that the network pulled the show off the air after the assassination attempt on Trump. The network was worried about Mika or Joe or one of the panellists making crass comments.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, oakville said:

I find it hilarious that Lemire has to mention Mika & Joe's planned vacation every day.

Probably worried we'll think they were fired.  Mika posted a photo on IG of them hiking somewhere, I'm assuming Maine. 

Maybe we'll get a cake video.  

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, SeanBug said:

Probably worried we'll think they were fired.  Mika posted a photo on IG of them hiking somewhere, I'm assuming Maine. 

Maybe we'll get a cake video.  

I can't see Joe going on a hike willingly. Joe should be going to Red Sox games.

• Like 2

Molly Jong Fast's hair continues to amaze me. Her hairstylist must get paid well.

She complained about JD Vance advocating a nativist replacement theory so that Americans will have more white children. She forgot that Vance's kids are part Indian.

I noticed that the panellists rarely discuss Kamala's Indian heritage. Her mom was a Professor at McGill University, my alma mater.

Heilemann is worried about the Trump attack ads that focus on Kamala's positions when she ran for President.

Rev Al got to fly on Air Force One with the President for the Civil Rights speech in Austin.

Elise Jordan found a panel of progressive voters. They have different views on Kamala's running mate choices.

There is less drama when Joe & Mika are not on the show.

Lemire said Kamala will try and win the swing states in the sunbelt . It's a better strategy than Biden having to win all 3 Blue Wall states.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, oakville said:

I can't see Joe going on a hike willingly.

And yet I can easily envision Mika suggesting it to him:  Joe, take a hike.

10 hours ago, oakville said:

Molly Jong Fast's hair continues to amaze me. Her hairstylist must get paid well.

I'm kind of in the same place with the rolls of fat in the back of Heileman's head.

• LOL 5
31 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Was the show only about the prisoner swap?  Did the gang touch on Trump's performance from the night previous?

There was an extensive discussion of Trump. Rev Al called it a clown show & Trump knew he was going there to cause a ruckus.

• Like 1

Mika & Joe are back. Mika is happy that Harris is gaining in the polls. Joe wasn't surprised that Trump congratulated Putin for the hostages trade & invading Ukraine.

Joe discussed JFK Jr putting a dead bear cub in Central Park.

Mika's family used to pick up roadkill. I remember her writing about having a deer in the bathtub.

Mika said that you have to cut up the roadkill quickly and freeze it.

Joe mocked Mika for making the bear cub story about her.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Joe said Harris is doing better with younger voters & people of colour.

Eugene thinks Harris can win NC & Georgia. African American voters are excited.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, tres bien said:

My take on the first hour this morning. Joe states the obvious on a low energy show

Mika & Joe's vacation is being interrupted by the news about Harris picking a VP.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Mika announced the 2024 KYV list ! She was very excited . Valery Jarret made the list ! She used to advise President Obama.

Brooke Shields made the list. She does furniture commercials for Lazy Boy.

Ava Duvernay directed a movie for Disney & she met Spike Lee.

Maggie said the vetting process for the 50 over 50 list is very detailed. It's more extensive than vetting for the VP.

Umah Abadin is the VP of Mika's project. She was very impressed that Valerie Jarrett advised President Obama for 8 years.

Mika approved Cindy McCain being on the list . She was married to Senator John McCain. She now works for the UN World Food program.

• LOL 3

KYV...Brooke Shields?  She has been famous and rich since she was a child. Other than acting, what world-shattering thing has she accomplished?  I happen to like Brooke Shields, but the Forbes List? 

Cindy McCain?  Again, I like her.  But she has been rich forever; and is the widow of a famed US Senator.  I do know that she runs a successful charity. But Forbes list?  

The vetting process is very detailed?  More than vetting a potential VP candidate? Entitled Bitches, please. Get over yourselves. Is it just me who thinks this whole think is ... according to "Rose" on The Golden Girls..."A colossal joke" ... Other than Valerie Jarrett. She actually does Know Her Value.

I feel all better now.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Kemper said:

KYV...Brooke Shields?  She has been famous and rich since she was a child. Other than acting, what world-shattering thing has she accomplished?  I happen to like Brooke Shields, but the Forbes List? 

Cindy McCain?  Again, I like her.  But she has been rich forever; and is the widow of a famed US Senator.  I do know that she runs a successful charity. But Forbes list?  

The vetting process is very detailed?  More than vetting a potential VP candidate? Entitled Bitches, please. Get over yourselves. Is it just me who thinks this whole think is ... according to "Rose" on The Golden Girls..."A colossal joke" ... Other than Valerie Jarrett. She actually does Know Her Value.

I feel all better now.  

The induction of these women will help Mika sell tickets to the next KYV seminar. Mika might get a percentage of ticket sales to act as Chairwoman of KYV.

• Love 1

Poor Katty was talking during the 7am ET hour while someone blew their nose(?). The culprit probably thought they were muted. The sound effects are cute but could they get better technical direction on this show?

• Like 2

Mika is wearing a pink blanket today. Joe wants Starmer to control the riots in the UK. Joe started yelling at Democrats to be happy about the new poll numbers showing Harris leading Trump.

Joe said Democrats should plant yard signs and knock on doors.

• Like 2

Joe said a week ago his sources told him Shapiro was a lock. Then it was Walz. Joe was happy that the Harris campaign didn't leak the result to the media. Stein was concerned about the amount of anti-Shapiro news coming out.

Joe said the antisemitic forces in the party are opposed to Shapiro.

Joe said Kamala & Shapiro look good together visually. They are aa new generation.

Joe liked Walz's witty asides on Twitter.

The left-wing loves Tim Walz.

Joe said Democrats should the antisemitic streams on the Left are against Shapiro.

Joe is a strong supporter of Shapiro because he can win Pennsylvania.

• Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Mika is wearing a pink blanket today.

I don't usually pay attention to manner of dress, but she wears crap like that a lot and now it's something I can't help but notice.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Like 2

Barnicle said that Shapiro hates the Boston Celtics. He would lose support in Massachusetts.

Katty Kay apologized before complimenting Trump when he said that the VP pick is a 2-3 day story.

• LOL 2

Ed Luce said Walz is more progressive than Shapiro

Joe said Walz is not a safe pick. Luce supports Walz. Luce said Walz is a hunter who shoots animals. He doesn't talk down to blue-collar voters.

Mika said Walz is mature and a year older than Kamala.

• Like 1

Senator Claire said that Walz lost his hair due to dealing with high school students for 25 years.

Joe reiterated that Shapiro would be better at winning Pennsylvania.

Joe called it an ugly whisper campaign against Shapiro.

Lemire said Shapiro could have run for President if Biden had stepped down before the primaries.

Lemire said Republicans are bringing up Walz's inaction in dealing with the riots in Minnesota after Floyd was murdered.

• Like 1

Walz called Rev Al. He promised Rev Al he would appoint Keith Ellison to prosecute the police who killed Floyd.

Rev Al is well-connected with everyone.

• Like 2

Joe said Shapiro would get along better with corporate CEOs.

Nancy Pelosi came on the show to promote her book. Mika said it would be a bestseller for KYV fans.

Nancy said that Walz is a moderate not a progressive. He is down the middle.

• Like 1

Mika took the pink blanket and wrapped it around herself like a toga when she was interviewing Pelosi.

Joe was quiet during the interview.

• Like 1

Yamiche Alcindor came on the show. She said Keith Ellison supports Tim Walz as VP.

Ellison was given the job of prosecuting Derek Chauvin. He made sure that he was convicted.

Mika moved her blanket to her right shoulder.

Mika was happy that Walz was a High school teacher.

Ed Luce said he hopes there will be a new dance called the Harris Walz

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe said Democrats should plant yard signs and knock on doors.

I don’t know where or how many places that Joe has lived, but….is he being deliberately clueless? Volunteers have been knocking on doors and planting yard signs for decades. Generations. He probably lives in a gated community that doesn’t allow them.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I don’t know where or how many places that Joe has lived, but….is he being deliberately clueless? Volunteers have been knocking on doors and planting yard signs for decades. Generations. He probably lives in a gated community that doesn’t allow them.

Joe does live in a gated community with extra security & a Generac generator. The Generac is uded for their studio in case the power goes out.

In 2020, Joe urged Biden to go door to door to meet voters. There was a pandemic.

• Wink 1