Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Lie Ability

Snarkette

Good episode, finally Lydia is out! Her saying that Stiles saved her was the best thing, I'm a sucker for those two.

So the hellhound and the banshee are connected... how?! I wonder if we'll get more of an explanation on that.

Theo getting his hands on that Dread Doctors' helmet can't be good.

• Love 3

Lydia telling her mom that Stiles saved her made me Marge-Simpson-side-eye my tv. Everyone saved you, Lydia. Even your mother...and maybe even mostly your mother. Cause Tracy was about to snatch your ass up! And might've succeeded had she not paused to monologue

• Love 4

I enjoyed the heck out of this one! Theo tries to manipulate Stiles and Stiles Is Not Having It. Deucalion tries to manipulate Hayden and Hayden Is Not Having It. Meredith takes Scott into her dream academy while Liam guards the door. Malia and Josh create the most reluctant alliance ever for the good of their respective pack mates. Parrish gets his flame on, a lot, Mason is Plan B, Dr. Valack gets what he so richly deserves, and Natalie saves the day with a shock stick. Win!

• Love 4

If they eased up on the slow motion, we might actually get some plot done. Why do they take time for slo mo or bad guy show boating or plenty of subplots and sub-subplots that don’t go anywhere but not for character development? The show would be so much better for it.

There were some bits that I liked. Liam was cute and funny. Malia keeps endearing herself to me with her no-nonsense attitude. At least she’s learned from her mistake with Theo. Mason was gold worrying about his car. And I love the idea of lighting up the hellhound whenever you need him.

But Lydia remains my least favorite character. Her power is more than useless and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere, again. Not to mention the heavy emphasis on Stydia. Urgh. I love Stiles, I really do, but he did not save Lydia. Just about everyone else was more useful in saving her. But then again, Teen Wolf isn’t known for its subtlety. And may TPTB save us from the dire and pointless trope of a Parrish/Lydia/Stiles triangle. Pretty please?

• Love 2

Not a fan of the episode except the bits with Theo and Stiles running through tunnels, where there was actual tension, dialog, and character development.

Particularly annoyed with the Stydarrish triangle.  Parrish the mindless rage monster has grown old. Sure, show him with his clothes burned off, but in the last 5 eps, he's only had one scene (with Chris and Gerard) that informed his character. He just went mental to save Lydia (the last time his character spoke to her, it was interrupted to go visit the library). They "share a bond" and he was perfectly happy to hand her off to the important characters to finish the story so she could gush about Stiles to her mom.

Hayden continues to be a complete moron, unworthy of Sprayberry's Liam -- he had some great moments this ep -- or Mason, who stole every moment from their scenes together. The best part was when she was behind a wall.

The Scott/Meredith scenes were simply disturbing. And who knew that injecting a paste of unsterile mistletoe into a banshee's overloaded brain, where the skull has been physically removed and the blood/brain barrier breeched is a recommended medical treatment.

At least creepy Eichen nurse man was spared, wasn't he?

• Love 1

Mason was my favourite part of this episode. Him freaking out on the phone, freaking out over his car, and then the relief in his voice when Hayden showed up just in time, followed by his immediate "Can we use your car?" cracked me the hell up. We  need more Mason for sure.

• Love 3

I thought many parts of this episode dragged but I'm happy that Lydia is finally out of Eichen House. I'm assuming she now knows how to control her power considering she took off part of Valek's head with her scream but Stiles and Theo were ok? I'm sure it will take another three episodes to know for sure though. I liked the end with Stiles, Lydia and Scott. I like that the original three characters we have left shared that moment. Also I'm pretty sure Lydia said they all saved me and then followed up with the Stiles saved me. Probably because the show had her mom ragging on him in previous episodes. Still don't care about Parrish in any way shape or form and don't care about the hell hound. Hayden is boring as hell and her scenes with Deucalion seemed very misplaced. Mason is adorable, I hope that don't have him turn out to be the beast.

• Love 1

Mason was my favourite part of this episode. Him freaking out on the phone, freaking out over his car, and then the relief in his voice when Hayden showed up just in time, followed by his immediate "Can we use your car?" cracked me the hell up. We  need more Mason for sure.

I'm guessing he's the Beast of [French Mumble].  They beat the "a teen you don't even realize" drum again and he's the only one left. 

• Love 1

Scott is once again a bystander in his own show. 

How else can we make "Teen Wolf the Next Generation" happen? Complete with a "Scott and Alison" Romeo and Juliet Redux that meant we had to waste too much of this episode on the world's most unlikely sex scene. Are they really trying to make us believe Liam and Hayden hooked up? When? Between her death and the assault on Eichen House while she wasn't running with the pack of murdering sociopaths?

And you know how I said she was a plank and he was moss and the moss was pretty but I didn't need to watch it grow on a plank of wood? I'm seriously regretting my choice of worlds now. Eww.

Not a fan of the episode except the bits with Theo and Stiles running through tunnels, where there was actual tension, dialog, and character development.

I really enjoyed the first half of this two-parter but, between the world's most-laboured love story and the ongoing existence of Theo and his psychotic "pack", I found this instalment boring. Too much running around. And far too much Hayden aka "the plank of wood".

Mason will be the beast and then the back half will be "save Mason".

I'm guessing he's the Beast of [French Mumble].  They beat the "a teen you don't even realize" drum again and he's the only one left. 

Yep. I can't imagine they're going to produce another teen out of thin air. And I can't think of one that it could be other than Mason. Unless the twist is that Danny didn't disappear into nothingness at the end of last season and it's him. TWIST.

Also, what a waste of Deucalion. And not an Argent in sight

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 2
Yep. I can't imagine they're going to produce another teen out of thin air. And I can't think of one that it could be other than Mason. Unless the twist is that Danny didn't disappear into nothingness at the end of last season and it's him. TWIST.

I'm guessing we meet the beast, at least in human form, at next week's Lacrosse game with Devenford. And I'm wondering if the Theo "secret sauce" is "he and the sister he killed were twins": natural Chimera versus "made" Chimera.

Also, if the only connection between Parrish and Lydia is Hellhound/Banshee, I demand equal sexy shower scene time for Parrish and Meredith.

• Love 1

Another possibility besides Mason = Beast would be one of the other nameless faceless underwear model teen chimerae that appreared to have died actually didn't die. Like he was only mostly dead and came back as the beast after sort-of dying.  Maybe the dude that originally had the talons, or the guy that Stiles killed. 

I'm guessing we meet the beast, at least in human form, at next week's Lacrosse game with Devenford. .

I suppose they could be one of Satomi's underwear models (there's another character I would have thought would be involved in the plot this season).  Like whats-his-name in the club that one time. You know, during that fight where all the teen models looked the same and so nobody knew who was fighting who.

Or it could be Hayden and she has two forms - normal wolf and French wolf. That would be good.

• Love 1

As much as I love this show, I have to say, Kira drove me completely up the wall this week and last. I've had no problem with her place on the show up to now, but I can't take it anymore. How does she learn that she's a magic fox with power over electricity and do absolutely NOTHING to figure out how her power works? Electrical Chimera guy seems to have it figured out in a matter of episodes. How many seasons has Kira had now to work on this? Alongside a mother who is basically an expert! Why is she so completely helpless? She has so much power, and she can't use it for anything! Plus, the first time she came to Eichen House, she caused a major disaster and nearly died/killed Scott. This time, she decides to set foot in Eichen House again, only with NO additional knowledge of how the place affects her, or what to do if it begins affecting her again? I mean, everyone made a plan for what to do if they were trapped in Eichen House (hence Mason), and Kira's plan was, "I guess I'll just explode and die? Because it beats learning anything about how to ground electrical charges?"

This is totally different from "the fox spirit inside me is taking over and making me kill." This is about understanding the basic mechanics of how her abilities function. How does anyone learn that they have electrical powers and NOT immediately begin learning everything there is to know about electricity? When every other character learned they were something non-human, they immediately began questioning, experimenting, figuring out what they could and couldn't do. It's natural! If I were Kira, I'd be touching every lightbulb in sight until I figured out how to do by choice what I'd only ever done by accident. But she has apparently done ZERO since discovering what she was. She doesn't need a killer fox spirit to make her a liability. She already is one! And it is starting to legitimately piss me off! Get it together, Kira! Behave like a person and not a poorly-thought-out plot device! Watching you helplessly deer-in-the-headlights your way through situations you should have figured out ages ago is interminable! Yeesh!

• Love 3

This is totally different from "the fox spirit inside me is taking over and making me kill." This is about understanding the basic mechanics of how her abilities function. How does anyone learn that they have electrical powers and NOT immediately begin learning everything there is to know about electricity? When every other character learned they were something non-human, they immediately began questioning, experimenting, figuring out what they could and couldn't do. It's natural! If I were Kira, I'd be touching every lightbulb in sight until I figured out how to do by choice what I'd only ever done by accident. But she has apparently done ZERO since discovering what she was. She doesn't need a killer fox spirit to make her a liability. She already is one! And it is starting to legitimately piss me off! Get it together, Kira! Behave like a person and not a poorly-thought-out plot device! Watching you helplessly deer-in-the-headlights your way through situations you should have figured out ages ago is interminable! Yeesh!

ITA Kira’s klutzy, helpless act is wearing very thin indeed. But it’s pretty much par for the course on the show. Lydia hasn’t made much effort to find out what she can do until recently either and with her character it really beggars belief. Scott also wasn’t particularly interested when he was turned as he was more focussed on getting laid. It was Stiles who was forever questioning and researching. And to this day no one’s really interested in what being a True Alpha actually means. Must be a teenager thing.

It's a shitty writer thing. Tv writers, in general, are bad about characterization, continuity, growth, plot holes, etc., and the Teen Wolf team seems particularly clueless. There's this fear that you have to "keep up the mystery" and "can't let your character be too powerful." Meanwhile your characters look like idiots because they haven't asked or been told by the experts at hand what their powers can do. (Or they're inconsistent. Kira has gently lit a room of light bulbs, stopped Scott's heart, and I don't even remember what all else with electricity.) A good writer can have the characters act like people actually would in the situation, and still work enough drama into the story with the challenges they face. But the TW team spends all their energy coming up with the weirdest monsters and craziest twists, instead of stepping back and looking at their characters. So you end up with bullshit like "Meredith heard Crazy-Coma-Peter and years later made Brunski set up the deadpool from a hidden computer to kill all supes, like herself." And meanwhile Lydia still didn't know how to focus her power.

• Love 3

It's a shitty writer thing. Tv writers, in general, are bad about characterization, continuity, growth, plot holes, etc., and the Teen Wolf team seems particularly clueless. There's this fear that you have to "keep up the mystery" and "can't let your character be too powerful." Meanwhile your characters look like idiots because they haven't asked or been told by the experts at hand what their powers can do. (Or they're inconsistent. Kira has gently lit a room of light bulbs, stopped Scott's heart, and I don't even remember what all else with electricity.) A good writer can have the characters act like people actually would in the situation, and still work enough drama into the story with the challenges they face. But the TW team spends all their energy coming up with the weirdest monsters and craziest twists, instead of stepping back and looking at their characters. So you end up with bullshit like "Meredith heard Crazy-Coma-Peter and years later made Brunski set up the deadpool from a hidden computer to kill all supes, like herself." And meanwhile Lydia still didn't know how to focus her power.

Probably why I abandoned this show when Parrish started piling up bodies on a tree stump... for reasons. That and I'm so frustrated that no one is interested in figuring out what the full extent of their abilities are. Not the True Alpha, Banshee, Kitsune or whichever new one they added. Chimeras ? It's like they're all content to just find out things out at the last minute usually at the expense of a dozen people dying each season. 

I came here to lurk to see if anything interesting has happened ? Has it ? Would anyone recommend this or any other episode this season as being of particularly high value to watch ? Or would I be better off trying to find a decent Sterek or Liam/Scott compilation video for funniness/sweetness ? 

Probably Off topic but I'm not sure where to post this. Sorry in advance.

I came here to lurk to see if anything interesting has happened ? Has it ? Would anyone recommend this or any other episode this season as being of particularly high value to watch ?

Despite my complaints about the TW writing in general, I'm liking this half season more than than I've liked TW in a while. The only episode I didn't like was the Skinwalkers one—the pacing dragged and that subplot was pointless. I recommend waiting until the finale and bingeing through. Just FF through all parts in the Southwestern desert unless you are okay with turning your brain off and enjoying babes in rawhide bikinis.

Despite my complaints about the TW writing in general, I'm liking this half season more than than I've liked TW in a while. The only episode I didn't like was the Skinwalkers one—the pacing dragged and that subplot was pointless. I recommend waiting until the finale and bingeing through. Just FF through all parts in the Southwestern desert unless you are okay with turning your brain off and enjoying babes in rawhide bikinis.

Thanks for the info. I used to really love this show but the poor plot resolutions and disappearing characters kind of removed it from the must watch pile and now it's on the I'll get around to it later pile. 

Edited by wayne67

I agree that the Skinwalkers episode was absolutely terrible.  Unfortunately, for me this whole half-season has been mostly bad overall.  I'm  fast forwarding through parts of episodes, which I never used to do, and both of the last two episodes have had a point where I've thought about just deleting it and giving up on the whole thing.

I was impressed that they managed to squeeze in a shower scene in a mostly Eichen episode.  They're reliable about some things, at least.

Scott is once again a bystander in his own show. 

This is not necessarily a Bad Thing.

And who knew that injecting a paste of unsterile mistletoe into a banshee's overloaded brain, where the skull has been physically removed and the blood/brain barrier breeched is a recommended medical treatment.

Isn't that part of the Veterinarian to the Supernatural handbook?

• Love 1

Stiles and Lydia's chemistry is just amazing. Those two have developed so much over all of the episodes. Just watched 1x11 when they  went to the dance together. The way they need each other and how well they work together is incredible. These two never stop impressing me.

I enjoyed the action in this episode. A lot of really cool stuff and we got to see a hint of our old Stiles back. He is joking a little bit more than he has been in a while. He was so far gone, so angry for so long that we lost who he was. I think he is slowly coming back and that is because the pack is coming back together. With Lydia back, he can finally relax again. 

It's really the parents that make this show awesome. The Argents, the Sheriff, Noshiko, Natalie, and especially Melissa.

They really do tie it all together.

Loving the Stydia.  I hope to see it grow more.  Then again I think they should have gone there sooner especially once Allison left the show.  

Their relationship is truly amazing. They are always the only ones that don't hate each other when everyone else does even if they aren't together, their friendship is stronger than most of the friendships there. Even when Scott and Stiles weren't talking to each other Stiles wanted to talk to Lydia. They really save each other.

Edited by 14Stilinski
  • Love 1