Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: The Backstreet Boys Walk Into A Bar (Parts 1 & 2)

Wow.  That was a HUGE cluster fuck.

And it WAS GLORIOUS.  Every second of it. 

From Charlotte's kid just hanging out on everyone's shoulders, to the live montages, to Charlotte LICKING the inside of Trent's mouth, to the door slam contest....everything was fucking brilliant.

They better renew this show.

• Love 6

Wow.  That was a HUGE cluster fuck.

And it WAS GLORIOUS.  Every second of it. 

From Charlotte's kid just hanging out on everyone's shoulders, to the live montages, to Charlotte LICKING the inside of Trent's mouth, to the door slam contest....everything was fucking brilliant.

They better renew this show.

Agreed !!

The live flashbacks were really funny -- especially the one that Candice narrated putting Justin and Danny through their paces.

Chris D'Elia actually made me laugh during the Nordic track bit -- and the fact that he was winded afterwards.  In fact Chris D'elia and Brent Morin were frequently out of breath during this episode and it was funny watching them try and recover and keep to the script.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

That exercise bit really got Chris.  I loved every movement he was making.  This episode was clearly written for there to be a lot of tweaks with each version so I can't wait to see what Candace's description of that scene will be in the West Coast airing.  It was pretty clear the actors didn't know what was coming.

The only negative about this glorious clusterfuck was the real clusterfuck that is Burski and Leslie.  So now they're a full blown couple? And he's still being creepy boyfriend by taking pictures of her without her permission while she's sleepign? ugh.

• Love 4

THOSE FLASHBACK WERE AMAZING, especially Candace's--it really took full advantage of the "live" concept.

Please please let them renew this show, I feel like they finally got an idea of what to do with the live aspect and the chemistry was really on tonight.

Also, Backstreet Boys!

AGH NBC PLEASE GIVE THEM ANOTHER SHOT.

• Love 3

The West Coast was an even bigger mess -- so many blown lines, and so much more improv but it was even funnier.  And where did TV's Scott Foley go in the West Coast show ?

The flashback narrated by Candace was even funnier because she had them do things that were definitely not in the script like Danny slapping Justin and Justin spitting on Danny.

And then during the final scene Danny spit on Justin for some reason which was just out there, and Brent Morin just went with it and worked it into the scene.

• Love 1

Agreed !!

The live flashbacks were really funny -- especially the one that Candice narrated putting Justin and Danny through their paces.

Chris D'Elia actually made me laugh during the Nordic track bit -- and the fact that he was winded afterwards.  In fact Chris D'elia and Brent Morin were frequently out of breath during this episode and it was funny watching them try and recover and keep to the script.

Someone tweeted that they were running under time so Chris had to vamp a ton during the Nordic Track bit. 

I haven't seen the West Coast version yet, but I can't wait!  Sounds amazing. 

Ha! I totally thought I spotted Yvette Nicole Brown in the strip club scene in the West Coast version, just checked Twitter, and yep, it was her. Went back and looked at the east coast version, and she wasn't there, so must have just been for the second taping.

Loved Leslie and Brett kissing Kevin instead of just hugging him on the West coast version (though I hope he knew it was coming). Couldn't blame them. He was my favorite back in the day too...

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 2

Please please let them renew this show, I feel like they finally got an idea of what to do with the live aspect and the chemistry was really on tonight.

I'm wondering if NBC has stumbled on to a new sitcom format and doesn't even realize it.  I for one, just tune in to see how much fun the actors are having.  Half the time, I can't even tell if there's real story line lurking in the hi-jinks.  But it might be that in the hands of more experienced actors - I'm thinking casts like Frasier or HIMYM here - we might have a whole new genre of "improv sitcom," just throw a general story line out there and let the actors take it where ever it goes.  In the right hands that could be really, really cool.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2

There were some great lines with lots of variation between the East and West Coast Episodes.

East Coast
--------------
Charlotte: "You are so annoying. Ok, Shelley, would you ever have sex with me and then lie to my face right after ?"
Shelley: "Oh no sweetie, I get all my lying done beforehand. There's still some ladies in Detroit that think they slept with a chunky Isiah Thomas."

West Coast
---------------
Charlotte: "Ok you guys, he's being very annoying. Uh, Shell, would you ever have sex with me and then lie to me immediately afterwards ?"
Shelley: "Oh no sweetie, I get all my lying done beforehand. I mean there's still a few girls in Detroit who think they had sex with Cleveland from Family Guy,"

East Coast
--------------
Justin: "Bret, I'm going to kill you."
Berski: "What do you have against red hair ?"
Shelley: "Oh yeah I love redheads, it reminds you that even God makes mistakes."

West Coast

---------------

Justin: "Bret, I'm going to kill you."
Berski: "What do you have against red hair ?"
Shelley: "Yeah I love redheads, when you sleep with 'em it's like putting a fire out with your penis."

Leslie (to the Backstreet Boys): "I'm so glad all of you are here. When I was a kid I humped all of your posters."

East Coast
--------------
Candace: "Charlotte, you were married what was yours like ?  Was it like a fairy tale ?"
Charlotte: "It was like a fairy tale. Uh, once there was a princess with low self-esteem and a pretty sick body. She went to Vegas one weekend and ate some magic beans, then she married an ogre named Mark, then 12 weeks later a wizard named Jeff the divorce attorney annulled her mistake.  The End."

West Coast
---------------
Candace: "Wait Charlotte, what did, what did you do for your wedding was it like a fairy tale ?"
Charlotte: "My wedding was exactly like a fairy tale. Um, once upon a time there was a princess with low self-esteem and terrible taste in men. She went to Las Vegas and ate some magic beans, then she married an evil ogre named Mark, Mark put a baby in her and ruined her credit. 12 weeks later a wizard named Jeff the divorce attorney annulled her mistake.  The End."

East Coast
--------------
Berski (referring to Justin): "What's wrong with him ?"
Candace: "Danny was so mean to him this morning. I can still totally picture it."  <fade to flashback> "So Justin woke up and he was in a great mood. He was all like 'Oh, I love being in love, man'. Ah, I just love it, it makes me want to spin and jump. And it makes me want to blow kisses. Blow and blow kisses left and right. And then Danny was like Grrr, I think love is stupid and I'm stupid and getting married is a mistake. And I get to be, I get to be mean to you for no reason because I'm a big baby. Wah ! Wah ! Wah ! Aaaaah ! Wah ! Look at me I think I'm so cool and I'm just a big jerk and I like to do high kicks. Watch me do a high kick. High kick. High kick. High kick. High kick. And then, and then I like to do push ups. I like to do ... I like ..... I could keep doing push ups all day. I'm going to do 10 more push ups. Yeah, that's basically how it went."

West Coast
---------------
Berski (referring to Justin): "What's wrong with him ?"
Candace: "Danny was being so mean to him this morning I can still totally picture it."  <fade to flashback> "So it all started when Justin, he woke up, he was in a great mood. He was like 'Man, I love being in love, man'. Ah, I just love it, it makes me want to do the moonwalk. I can do the moonwalk. I can get jiggy with it. I could, I could spin, I could jump, I could dance for days and days but I'm not I'm going to stand completely still. Completely still. Still like a stone. Like a stone. And then, and then Danny, we pan over to Danny, and Danny was all like Grrr, I think love is stupid and getting married, pssssh, that's all like a dumb mistake. I would never do that. And I get to be mean to you for just reason because I'm a big baby. I'm a big baby. My hair's too long to be a baby but I act like a baby anyways. And you know that noise babies make they go Wah ! Wah ! Wah ! Look at me I think I'm so cool even though I'm just a big jerk. Yeah, and you know what that big jerk did, that big jerk he went over and he slapped Justin in the face.  And you know what Justin did, Justin spit on him. And Danny he was so mean he was like 'Hey Justin, you, you give me your sweater'. You, you give me your sweater and, and, I'm going to do a high kick. And do another high kick. High kick. High kick. High kick. High kick. High kick. And that was it."

Kevin (At the strip club): "What a we got here -- a gay guy, a woman and a black guy.  What do you call your group -- a Republican's nightmare ?"

Danny (to Justin): "Why don't you get off my butt ?  Who am I, Kanye West ?"

Someone tweeted that they were running under time so Chris had to vamp a ton during the Nordic Track bit.

Yeah, the East Coast episode was running short on time compared to the West Coast episode, even with the extended Nordic track bit.  By the time the door slamming scene finished, the West Coast episode was nearly 3 minutes longer than the East Coast episode.

Berski carrying Leslie out of the bar was hilarious on both episodes.

In the West Coast episode I liked when Kevin popped out of the recycle bin and started making out with Trent -- because it was the alley where anything goes, so of course anything goes since Charlotte had already left the scene (it made perfect sense).  The actor that plays Trent, Adam Hagenbuch, holy crap that dude is ripped.

In the West Coast episode in the scene in Danny and Justin's apartment, you hear Rory Scovel's voice over the studio speakers say "finally, I got to make out with Adam" followed by "by the way my legs".
Justin: "Anybody else hear that ?"

To fill time, Justin's departure from the apartment in the East Coast episode goes on for full 85 seconds longer than the West Coast episode.

Justin: "Hey Danny, you have to tell us if you got the ring back when you get back from the bathroom."
Danny: "Hey, yeah, just .... gimme a few seconds ... uh, flashbacks are exhausting."

Candace as a redhead -- looks a lot like Alicia Witt.  Grrrrr.  But Bridgit Mendler continues to be adorably cute and hot at the same time, let's not forget the hotness.

Not sure who was holding the title card in the East Coast episode (next to a really cute blonde in a red dress), but Bill Lawrence and Christa Miller were holding it in the West Coast episode.

The kid that played Charlotte's son, Will, was pretty good -- with the improv with the sandwich and the dollar bills in the West Coast episode and his "Danny, don't be a bitch" line.  And Will knows his Tampa area strip clubs.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

The guy holding the title card on the east coast version was series creator Adam Sztykiel (he also did it for the east version of the series premiere).

Thanks @TheOtherOne, I honestly don't think I've ever seen a picture of him before, which explains why I didn't recognize him (either that or I was distracted by the cute blonde on his arm).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I appreciated the shout out to Flint.

Mostly, though, I feel like I'm watching an early-in-development rehearsal, or maybe a blooper reel, and it's not fun enough to overcome my problems with the show, which are that I usually think the characters and plots are either actually unlikable and obnoxious, or close to that line.

If I liked the stories or the characters more, I think I'd feel differently about it, but especially this week I just felt like no one gives a shit at all anymore. I mean, Burski-gets-the-girl, Justin-proposes-to-Candace, and everyone-rubs-up-on-stripper-to-get-diamond-back were really bullshit all the way.

And they're still giving Gay Sidekick no story and using "Justin-and-Danny-Love-Each-Other" in a way that at this point seems to me to be more homophobic titillation than actual bromance-loving. Ditto having Shelly kiss Justin instead of Candace do it-- they play it for the shock value but it's one more way they are piling on the "guylove is funny and a joke and safe to mock when it's fake but a real gay character can't have a love interest"-- I thought that kind of humor went out of style a few decades ago, sometime around the time when Anita Bryant caused a boycott of Florida orange juice.

I did kind of like the kid trying to shove the sandwich into Danny's mouth and half the set being knocked over when Burski tried to carry what's her name out of the bar. Also, I give D'elia his due on the fake Nordic Track. And the improvised flashbacks were fun.

Edited by possibilities

I was hesitant to say anything in case I was being overly sensitive, and maybe I am, but I couldn't help but notice at the end of the episode that, for a show supposedly about people who are undateable, most of the cast is now in a relationship...except the gay guy and the black guy. Even awful Burski is somehow considered worthy of a girlfriend (he's not).

But yeah, the fact that Brett is the only character who's never really had a plotline of his own, or one driving an episode, this season, and his character really only amounts to saying "I like penis!" in various ways (none of which an actual gay guy would) is troublesome.

Shelley and Brett gave probably had the same amount of focus and pretty much no one gets any real focus unless they are the two leads or tied to the leads.

What have any of them except Justin and Danny really done on their own season. That all had the same amount of screen time.

Judging by SNL, straight dudes kissing is not a played out source of comedy. It never was really in general terms. It's just another bit of unexpected humor.

But, this is the last show where I any sort of feelings about who's with who, who gets more screentime, etc. It's just gags. The gang being together, having fun and riffing are what sell it. Not storylines or plottling. I watch and laugh. That's the beginning and the end of it for me.

• Love 3

But, this is the last show where I any sort of feelings about who's with who, who gets more screentime, etc. It's just gags. The gang being together, having fun and riffing are what sell it. Not storylines or plottling. I watch and laugh. That's the beginning and the end of it for me.

Like in the West Coast episode when Danny was dressed as a construction worker stripper, and Kevin asks Danny if wants any oil and Danny replies "No please, I .. that wasn't in the script."

• Love 1

I wonder if they warned Whitney that Kevin was going to jump out of that garbage can.....

I forgot on the East Coast version, after Danny calls Nick "the dangerous one" he tells him not to hit him....and it took me a minute, but than I remembered Nick was just arrested for a bar fight.  He was laughing, so apparently he thought it was funny....

I loved how during the West Coast version, Candace kept saying Stand still like a statue, but Brent couldn't quite get the concept.  And it was amusing that she made him take off that sweater, since he had issues with it during the East Coast version.

I don't watch this show for it's plot lines.   I love the cast, and the cast chemistry.  And with the live versions, they just have so much fun that it's just FUN to watch. 

• Love 4
Shelley and Brett gave probably had the same amount of focus and pretty much no one gets any real focus unless they are the two leads or tied to the leads.

What have any of them except Justin and Danny really done on their own season. That all had the same amount of screen time.

Well, yes, they are the most underserved characters, which is one reason I mentioned them both. But Shelley at least had the episode with his housing issues and everyone rallying together to get him to take the upstairs room, and his subplot in the Christmas episode. Brett had the episode with his lucky sweater, which I actually forgot was about him (despite the fact that it aired two weeks ago) since it was really about the dance team (sleeping with Charlotte's boss's groom just seemed like a minor plot point in Danny's plot). And Shelley just seems to have more interesting and memorable bits--"Take it to church," bursting through the poster repeatedly to show his weight loss, truth hugs, etc. Brett just says penis a lot. Meanwhile, Burski dated the girl who thought he was blind, and continued stalking Leslie. Leslie had the episode about her proposal, and was stuck with Burski in the plot of doom. And Brett said penis a lot.

**shrug** Different strokes and all that. Yeah, the show is fun and I can enjoy it for what it is, while also thinking one character is there as a token, and an annoyingly empty one at that. All of the other characters feel like actual human beings to me, even awful Burski. While many viewers may just be watching for the slapstick and live-taping zaniness, the writers have at least attempted to give most of the characters some development and moments of pathos--Danny's inability to connect with people and unwillingness to confront his feelings; Justin's feelings about being raised by a single mother and neediness in his relationships with Danny and Candice; Candice's traumatic childhood and past relationship and inability to believe in happy endings; Leslie's feelings about her divorce and not being serious about Mike; Burski's feelings for Leslie; Shelley's homelessness and loyalty. And Brett? Is gay. And British. And likes his sweater. Even taking it as a gag-based show, it's hard for me not to notice that all of the other characters have more than one gag to fall back on. Brett has one. PENIS!

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 2

Well, yes, they are the most underserved characters, which is one reason I mentioned them both. But Shelley at least had the episode with his housing issues and everyone rallying together to get him to take the upstairs room, and his subplot in the Christmas episode. Brett had the episode with his lucky sweater, which I actually forgot was about him (despite the fact that it aired two weeks ago) since it was really about the dance team (sleeping with Charlotte's boss's groom just seemed like a minor plot point in Danny's plot). And Shelley just seems to have more interesting and memorable bits--"Take it to church," bursting through the poster repeatedly to show his weight loss, truth hugs, etc. Brett just says penis a lot. Meanwhile, Burski dated the girl who thought he was blind, and continued stalking Leslie. Leslie had the episode about her proposal, and was stuck with Burski in the plot of doom. And Brett said penis a lot.

I can't even remember all of those plot lines. IMO, none of the plots on this show are particularly memorable. For me, I've seen Shelley and Brett as having more to do in most episodes than Leslie and Burski. Yes, Leslie and Burski ended with a relationship, but that relationship was mostly invented this episode. They've been secretly dating and we've never seen it. Very convenient. Burski had a few episodes where he barely spoke. I almost wondered if he would survive the season he was being used so little. I don't think he was given much to do, which was fine to me because I never thought he added much. Bursi was mostly just a creeper with a throw away line every once in a while. That's just my take. I respect that you may have seen it differently.

Not many thoughts on Candace and Justin getting engaged? I still get the brother sister vibe from them. No romantic chemistry whatsoever. Also, that diamond was changed from a tongue ring to an engagement ring very quickly. Ick.

This episode was a lot of fun. I think the live audiences have warmed up over the season. I agree with everyone who says the live aspect is what makes the show worth watching. The plots are mostly forgettable or bad, but the cast sort of saves it with their energy.

• Love 1