Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Kamekona's Wailoa Shave Ice

• Start Topic

(edited)

According to this Tweet, Scott Caan is scheduled to be on The Queen Latifah Show on May 7th. That's *this Wednesday*.

https://twitter.com/sc_caps/status/463089458628546562

The Queen Latifah Show is SYNDICATED, so check your local listings for the correct time & channel in your area. It airs for 60 minutes (1 hour).

Hopefully this appearance will actually happen, unlike Chi McBride's The Talk appearance (he was scheduled, I heard them mention it & show his pic earlier in the week; I also saw him listed on a Talk Show Guests website for that show & date. Then it never happened & nobody ever explained why).

And he did other, syndicated, ET-type shows that aired the same day. Maybe 1 of the others ran late or something & conflicted. Anyway, sorry for that bad tip!

Also...

Scott's 2nd book of published photographs, Vanity, will be released on October 30th, per amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1909526169/ref=aw_d_pd_books?qid=1399000384&sr=1-25

More info can be found at www.reelartspress.com, under Coming Attractions (just scroll until you find the book).

Scott's 1st published photo collection is Scott Caan Photographs Vol. 1. The cover for this book served as the model for the cover of the photo book by the deceased photographer Renny Harlin in H50 Ep 122, Hoʻohuli Naʻau.

Edited by BW Manilowe

The behind the scenes goings on of a show can sometimes effect what's on screen, either good or bad.  Hawaii 5-0 seems to have a really weird backstage vibe that arguable has contributed to the mucking up of a once good show.  They really struck gold (or at least silver) in the first season with a fun action show that had four leads who really gelled--or at least their characters did.  Ever since then, they tinkered around with the formula--introducing sappy love interests, rotating people onto and off the team, splintering characters off on their own, marginalizing characters.  I know some of the backstage impacts couldn't be avoided (AOL's rehab, Grace Park pregnancy) and bad writing/plots play a huge role, but I don't get a sense of camaraderie from the cast.   The lack of focus on the core 4--and the core working working together as a team--is a common complaint TPTB have to have heard and yet have never tried to return to that dynamic.  Is it because they don't want to write that or because that dynamic doesn't work with the actors anymore.  These are the writers that have continued this Shelburne nonsense for years, so maybe they really are that dense but I think it's a mix of writing and the actors.

Maverick, I think in the first season the show runners were convinced they had the golden formula and the show would be a huge hit. When it wasn't (it was decent, but not great numbers) they have never really been able to figure out why, and have been tinkering around the edges each season trying to find the answer but not doing much introspection which is where I think the problem lies. Chuck in a star! That'll work! Nope, get rid of them. Find a new love interest! Damm, didn't work either. I know, let's make Steve's mom a baddie! That'll get everybody watching! Oh, dear . . . and so on. Throwing desperate ideas at the show and hoping they would stick.

The best episodes were season 1, and the best chemistry between Steve and Danny. It was sometimes silly, but often charming and mostly fun. I really enjoyed it. But I always got the feeling listening and reading to Lenkov's interviews that he couldn't understand why it wasn't a surefire No. 1 like NCIS, and it was the audience's fault, not his. I really think he doesn't have a core vision for the show or a true feeling for any of the characters. The character erosion started way sooner than most network shows do, it got more silly but less charming. 

Well if that's what Lenkov thinks then he's way off the mark.  NCIS didn't really become a hit until the repeats started on USA.  He should have realized they had a good formula and seen that they could have, over time, built their modest success into a big show.  

• Love 1

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I've been watching Season 1 on DVD again for the first time in years and I had forgotten just how wonderful that first season really was.  The chemistry between the Core Four (and especially Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan) was there from episode 1, and there was a tremendous forward momentum that kept everything moving along to the spectacular season finale.

Hawaii Five-0 is a textbook example of "fixing" a show that wasn't broken.  In Season 2, we went from the classic chemistry/team of Steve/Danny/Chin/Kono to the non-chemistry/team of Steve/Joe/Lori/Max.  I remember at the time thinking, "What's this new show?  What happened to the old show that I loved??"  The root of Hawaii Five-0's decline began right there because a lot of people gave up on the show when the new characters (especially the Lori character) were shoved down our throats.

After the 1-2 punch of the Season 1 finale (Episode 24) and the Season 1 opener, Season 2 Episode 2 was/is such a disappointment.  I had forgotten how much the Lori Weston character didn't work and how much airtime she took from everyone except Steve.  And the forced romantic tension between Lori and Steve is just painful.  It really makes you wonder what the production team thought they saw when they were watching the dailies!

According to SpoilerTV.com, *Daniel Dae Kim* (Chin Ho) is directing Ep 517--the ep which they're supposed to begin/supposed to have begun shooting this week:

https://twitter.com/spoilertv_h50/status/552498603521236993

If that's not adequate confirmation for you (because it's from an unofficial fansite for the show), Jorge Garcia Tweeted his best wishes to DDK, along with a link to an Instagram photo of an ep call sheet which has "Director Daniel Dae Kim" prominently noted on it, within the last hour:

http://instagram.com/p/xhLE-9TCnj/

Also, it appears Larry Manetti (recurring character lounge owner/singer Nicky "The Kid" Demarco) may have had something to do with, presumably, the storyline of the ep. If you look towards the upper lefthand side/corner of the call sheet, along with some/all of the usual names from the production/writing staff you can see the name "Manetti". While this may mean he was involved in the storyline, somehow, I don't know if it means his character will appear in the ep (in case someone's interested in that).

Finally, for all the fans of Larry Teng's directing, he's apparently en route to Honolulu to begin prep work (location scouting, etc.) on Ep 518 which he'll be directing once DDK's ep wraps & goes into the post-production process.

Edited to Add...

EW.com, the website for Entertainment Weekly magazine, also confirms DDK's directorial debut, including comments/praise from Peter Lenkov. Further, they state the episode being directed by DDK is the ep in which McDanno move into an apartment together as part of a stakeout & legendary veteran actress, & Oscar & Emmy winner, Cloris Leachman plays a nosy neighbor.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/06/daniel-dae-kim-direct-hawaii-five-0/?hootPostID=4ac4c3b2fb216c00e4dc991bf57fc8b5

Edited by BW Manilowe

I've been watching Season 1 on DVD again for the first time in years and I had forgotten just how wonderful that first season really was.  The chemistry between the Core Four (and especially Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan) was there from episode 1, and there was a tremendous forward momentum that kept everything moving along to the spectacular season finale.

Hawaii Five-0 is a textbook example of "fixing" a show that wasn't broken.  In Season 2, we went from the classic chemistry/team of Steve/Danny/Chin/Kono to the non-chemistry/team of Steve/Joe/Lori/Max.  I remember at the time thinking, "What's this new show?  What happened to the old show that I loved??"  The root of Hawaii Five-0's decline began right there because a lot of people gave up on the show when the new characters (especially the Lori character) were shoved down our throats.

I don't agree entirely.  I just did a Hawaii Five-O DVD binge marathon of all four seasons, and the stories and the show is actually very good.  I do agree with you that the dynamic with just the lead four characters in season 1 was fantastic, but it's still there in the latter seasons.  The problem is that at different times, the cast was not available.  I know Alex hurt his shoulder badly (maybe from the torture scene he filmed in 2.10) and had to be gone a while, and Grace went off to have a baby.  I think Scott also took time off.  I don't understand why the writers felt this need to add more people to the team, whether it was Lori, Catherine, or Grover.  I think THAT'S the larger problem.  Why the need for additional cast members?  Even now, why the focus on Max lately?  I like him as a character, but only every once in a while.

I've read some of the criticisms of Hawaii Five-O, but I watch a bunch of other shows (NCIS LA, Criminal Minds, Castle, etc), and NONE of them have the character stories that Hawaii Five-O has - none of them.  The amount of time that H5O devotes to fleshing out its characters and giving them actual stories and relationships beyond the procedural is what sets it apart from all the other shows.  Every one of the main characters on Five O has it's own main storyline.  Steve has the Wo-Fat/Doris/John storyline.  Danny has Rachel/Matt/Grace story.  Chin has his police corruption/Malia story.  Kono has her Adam/Yakuza story.  All of these stories are fleshed out every year.  The other shows on tv don't even take the time to get to know their characters, and that's why I love H5O the most.  I have the action AND the drama.  Name me another show that can do what was done with the 100th episode, and it was so powerful because of all the past history with Steve, Doris and Wo-Fat.  Also, the story with Danny and his brother was built upon and didn't just drop out of nowhere, and so when he shot and killed his brother's killer, it was "wow."  I'm lucky if the other shows even touch on a single dramatic element with any of their characters.

So yes, H5O has flaws, but in comparison to other shows, it's so much better.  The other shows seem to rely on constant comedy and banter and have devolved into rom-coms, imho.  I like drama in my shows.  I like angst with my moments of comedy.  I would love for Five-O to see another season.  Here's hoping.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 2

So the show tonight was a rerun from Season 4 - S04.10 - "Ho'onani Makuakane" (Honor Thy Father)".  Since there isn't an episode thread for it can I start a new one, or just discuss it here?  I don't want to step on any toes.  But what I wanted to mention is that apparently the US Army keeps its archives in an unsecured, un-climate-controlled bunker in hot, humid Hawaii, with rats eating at the files?

The actress who played Martha, young David's mother (Hira Ambrosino), has just been signed for a role on "Days of Our Lives".  She plays the mother of gay baseball player Paul Narita, who is played by Christopher Sean, who plays Chin Ho's gangster brother-in-law, Gabriel Waincroft.  Even though Christopher Sean is a contract player on Days, he just went back to Hawaii to film a new episode of Hawaii 5-0.

Edited by Rick Kitchen

So the show tonight was a rerun from Season 4 - S04.10 - "Ho'onani Makuakane" (Honor Thy Father)". Since there isn't an episode thread for it can I start a new one, or just discuss it here? I don't want to step on any toes. But what I wanted to mention is that apparently the US Army keeps its archives in an unsecured, un-climate-controlled bunker in hot, humid Hawaii, with rats eating at the files?

The actress who played Martha, young David's mother (Hira Ambrosino), has just been signed for a role on "Days of Our Lives". She plays the mother of gay baseball player Paul Narita, who is played by Christopher Sean, who plays Chin Ho's gangster brother-in-law, Gabriel Waincroft. Even though Christopher Sean is a contract player on Days, he just went back to Hawaii to film a new episode of Hawaii 5-0.

I think we're just supposed to do ep threads for current episodes/seasons, & discuss the older eps in threads like this. I started some threads awhile back, for the older, repeat eps airing on TNT Network that week--which I thought would be helpful & appropriate, & I didn't know not to (but, to be fair, I also didn't ask... because I didn't think I needed to) & received a reply that threads were actually meant for current eps/seasons.

• Love 1

So I'm just now getting into this show and just finished S1. The first season is really fun, but I think it is a bit out of step in time with most network TV (and was when it premiered). The style of S1 was probably closer to the dectective shows of the 1970s and 1980s like The Rockford Files, Magnum PI and Simon & Simon. This show premiered the same year as Scandal and it does look sort of out of place. I think it might have fit better on USA with shows like Suits and Burn Notice.

Speaking of fixing things that aren't broken; what was the point of Dano's story in the S1 finale? Why come up with this elaborate plot getting him and Rachel back together and her pregnate just to wave it away with a "it was Stan's baby" in S2? Why did they even have that cliffhanger if it wasn't going anywhere? Were they worried SC wouldn't come back for S2 and needed a way to write him out?

It can't just be me that gets continually annoyed by the flagrantly unconstitutional actions of the 5-O gang. Even if the Governor granted them immunity for anything they might do (because the Governor of Hawaii* can apparently set aside the US Constitution!) shouldn't Steve be taken to court about 50 times by now and 5-O should be unable to operate for being bogged down by lawsuits? Why is it that TPTB present Danny as being a whinny little bitch for pointing out what Steve is doing is illegal? They may catch the bad guys but their conviction rate must be close to zero (I also know it's a sister show to NCIS where Gibbs never met a human right he didn't want to violate, but that just exacerbates the problem)!

* I know she was in the pay of Wo Fat, but nobody said, "She can't do that!"

This week (tonight-Friday night... 5 nights), CBS is running H50 repeats in the late night time slot vacated by David Letterman in May (& waiting for the Stephen Colbert incarnation of The Late Show to start airing in September).

That's after your late local CBS news, at approximately 11:35PM-12:35AM, or as late as 11:37PM-12:37AM (the end time's the *following* day, if you're setting a recorder timer for it) Eastern Time/10:35 (10:37) PM-11:35 (11:37) PM Central Time, give or take a couple of minutes.

If you're staying up to watch, or recording it, please check your local listings to be sure of the correct time (& possibly channel) in your area; especially since late night programming can sometimes be time/channel-shifted for syndicated &/or paid programming (which apparently makes more money for local stations than network programming does). Also check your local listings for the correct local time & channel if you live in the Mountain Time Zone on westward to Alaska, Hawaii, & in other offshore US Territories & Possessions which air CBS programming.

Tonight's episode is Kanalu Hope Loa (The Last Break), Episode 503. That's the 1 about the gang of young, beautiful surfer girls who rob tourists on the local sightseeing trolley, apparently because they enjoy surfing so much they'd rather do that all day, every day, than do pesky things like further their educations (if they weren't High School/College graduates) or maintain gainful employment, & they need *some* way to finance their lives & surfing "habit".

I think CBS.com said tomorrow night's repeat is Ka Noʻeau (The Painter), also from S5 (Episode 504). I'm not certain if CBS will continue airing early S5 eps the rest of the week or if they'll mix things up Wednesday-Friday nights. At the time I checked, the schedule on CBS.com which includes late night programming only went through Tuesday night.

Fozzy Bear -- At the time, there was a lot of pushback from the audience regarding the Danny/Rachel/Who's the father? storyline.  Danny's actions felt very out-of-character - and not just because of the adultery aspect.  He was also toying with the idea of walking out on Steve, even though Steve's life was coming increasingly unglued in the run-up to the finale.  None of it felt right at the time.  I think the producerss recognized their mistake and got it out of the way at the beginning of Season 2. 

So I'm just now getting into this show and just finished S1. The first season is really fun, but I think it is a bit out of step in time with most network TV (and was when it premiered). The style of S1 was probably closer to the dectective shows of the 1970s and 1980s like The Rockford Files, Magnum PI and Simon & Simon. This show premiered the same year as Scandal and it does look sort of out of place. I think it might have fit better on USA with shows like Suits and Burn Notice.

Speaking of fixing things that aren't broken; what was the point of Dano's story in the S1 finale? Why come up with this elaborate plot getting him and Rachel back together and her pregnate just to wave it away with a "it was Stan's baby" in S2? Why did they even have that cliffhanger if it wasn't going anywhere? Were they worried SC wouldn't come back for S2 and needed a way to write him out?

In the event you haven't yet seen the end of last season (S5), or been reading about it (here or elsewhere), the "cliffhanger" (which I didn't think actually was 1, to be honest) about Rachel's baby eventually *does/did* go somewhere, beyond "Oops! Sorry Danny, I was wrong; it's not your baby after all, it's Stan's.". That happens in the S5 Finale & is supposed to continue into the upcoming S6.

(edited)

I just got to the episode "Buried Secrets" where we meet Danny's mother. UGH, who made that horrible casting choice and WHY???

This is a slightly convoluted explanation, perhaps, so bear with me & just keep reading. I've also provided links to sources which can back everything up, at the end of each paragraph. Here we go...

Back during the summer hiatus (break) between S2 & S3 a then-new play Scott Caan wrote, No Way Around But Through, had its World Premiere run at the Falcon Theatre in the LA area (which is owned by writer/producer/director/actor Garry Marshall, brother of Laverne & Shirley's Penny Marshall).

http://www.falcontheatre.com/no_way_around_but_through.html

This mirrors the just-ended hiatus between last season (S5) & next season (S6), when another new play Scott wrote, The Trouble We Come From, also had its World Premiere run at the Falcon Theatre in the LA area. Scott also appeared in this play, but not as the lead; he was the best friend of the male lead. Among his 3 Co-Stars in this play was actress Claire van der Boom, who plays Rachel Edwards, Danny's ex-wife & the mother of his kids, Grace & Charlie, on H50. However, their characters didn't have a relationship connection in the play, & I don't think they had any scenes together (Claire's character apparently only had a small part).

http://www.falcontheatre.com/troublewecomefrom.html

Anyway, Scott played the lead character in the first play & Melanie Griffith played his mother--replacing, for unexplained reasons, actress Lainie Kazan (who played--among other roles--the mother of the character shared by Mayim Bialik & Bette Midler in the movie Beaches) who was originally cast in the role.

http://m.playbill.com/news/article/melanie-griffith-replaces-lainie-kazan-in-world-premiere-of-scott-caans-no--193242

I didn't get to see the play (either play) myself, but I read all the reviews I could find (of both), both professional & by H50/Scott Caan fans. Many of the reviews of the earlier play said that Scott & Melanie had great chemistry together onstage. H50 Showrunner Peter Lenkov also saw the earlier play at some point in its run; he apparently also saw the previously-mentioned chemistry & wanted Melanie for the role, after seeing the play, once he knew they were going to have Danny's mom come for a visit.

http://www.50undercover.com/2014/02/26/dannos-mom-rolls-into-town/

http://www.honolulupulse.com/2014/03/outtakes-online-melanie-griffith/

So, *that's* how & why Melanie Griffith became Danno's mom in H50 (& if things had been different, Lainie Kazan could've been Clara Williams instead... just saying).

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

Thank you, BW Manilowe, for the explanation. At least there's a reason for what seems to me to be a horrible casting choice!

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Like I said, I didn't see the play with Scott & Melanie Griffith in it (or this hiatus's play, with Scott & Claire van der Boom in it), but I don't think the casting choice was that bad--speaking for myself--although Melanie's only a little over 19 years older than Scott in real life (she was born August 9, 1957; he was born August 23, 1976). So she may be just a touch young to be his mom, at least in real life. But it doesn't matter on TV/in movies, since we rarely know the exact ages of the characters anyway.

At least her hair's blonde--which makes her physically credible as Scott's mom since Scott's hair is dark blond/blond-brownish, & she can make herself credibly sound like she's from the east coast, which helps since Danny & his family are supposed to be from New Jersey. Although I honestly thought her "east coast" accent was probably a little better in her movie Working Girl.

Her accent was non-existent, but for me, it's mostly just that Melanie Griffith is WAY too old to still be employing her whole "giggly, flirty, little-girl voice" approach to acting. It was painful to watch, and it made it look like she was flirting with every male she had a scene with - including the one playing her son. If her character was supposed to be some cougar on the prowl, it would've been one thing, but I don't think that's what they were going for. Her outfits didn't help either, most which looked meant for someone 20 years younger. She just didn't come across as motherly at all - and for some reason I really imagined Danny having a tough, no-nonsense east coast style mother, not some giggly, silly person.

Apparently, I REALLY didn't like the casting, lol.

According to the CBS Press Express website (from which I get the ep descriptions posted at the start of each ep thread), Ep 100, Inā Paha (If Perhaps), where Steve--while kidnapped, drugged & tortured by Wo Fat--hallucinates/imagines what life would've been like for various members of the Five-0 ohana had the team never been formed (& we get the cool Five for Fighting song/show clip montage at the end) will (finally) be rebroadcast on Friday, November 27th--the Friday of US Thanksgiving Weekend.

But why they decided to repeat that "special" episode over Thanksgiving, instead of a more "normal" ep, I'll never understand. Just seems like they could've done like always over Thanksgiving & aired an ep more people wouldn't have minded missing instead of finally repeating the 100th ep, which many people may wanna watch again because it *hasn't* been repeated since its original airing on November 7, 2014, in S5. Every time CBS should've repeated the ep, in order, since the original airing they've skipped past it to (if I remember correctly) the ep where McGarrett's Aunt Deb (Carol Burnett) & her fiancé Leonard (Frankie Valli) go to Hawaii to get married.

http://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=43872

In case anyone's gonna be up then, or anyone wants to set a recorder, TNT will be repeating

1. the 3rd Season Finale (Kono & Adam go on the run from the Yakuza, with Doris McGarrett's help, after Adam's self-defense/protecting Kono killing of his brother, ex-con/Yakuza bigwig Michael). (2-3AM Eastern)

2. the 1st ep of S4 (Wo Fat enlists Steve's protection from terrorists he says are trying to kill him, they then take hostages at Iolani Palace & wreak havoc in other places; new character Honolulu SWAT Captain Lou Grover is introduced). (3-4AM Eastern)

3. the 2nd ep of S4 (Timothy Daly plays a Texas Ranger who's come to the island looking for his missing daughter & takes revenge on those he holds responsible for her being missing). (4-5AM Eastern)

LATE TONIGHT/EARLY TOMORROW (MONDAY) MORNING from 2-5AM Eastern/1-4AM CENTRAL TIME.

It appears Monday morning, between 3AM & 6AM Eastern, is the new timeslot for TNT reruns of the show.

In that timeslot tonight/early tomorrow morning, they're airing:

3AM-4AM Eastern--Kupouli ʻIa (The S4 Halloween ep, guest starring Corbin Bernsen from LA Law & Psych)

4AM-5AM Eastern--Ua Nalohia (The ep where we, Steve & the team learn Mary has adopted a baby daughter, named Joan in honor of John McGarrett, & the team has to care for baby Joan while also working a case because Mary ends up in the hospital with food poisoning--aka the "3 Men & a Baby" ep)

5AM-6AM Eastern--Akanahe (The ep where we first meet Nick Jonas' teenage computer hacker character, Ian Wright, when the Governor tasks Steve & his partner du jour, Grover, with serving him with an arrest warrant; all hell breaks out from there, & Ian eventually manages to get away after using Grover's daughter's laptop--which Grover confiscated earlier, for misbehavior--to hack into the onboard navigational computer of a transpacific flight bound for Honolulu, disabling the system & endangering the lives of all those aboard)

Where has Scott Caan been recently? There have been a number of episodes where he is missing (including tonight, January 15).

Somewhere back around the 3rd or 4th season (I think it was), he & CBS came to an agreement that he's allowed to do 5 episodes less per season than Alex O'Loughlin. This probably deals with Scott's noted preference for the faster-paced LA/Hollywood lifestyle than the more laid back atmosphere of Hawaii. Plus, at the beginning of filming for S5 (the 2nd day of filming, to be exact) Scott & his longtime partner, Kacy, became the parents of a now 18 month-old daughter, Josie James Caan. Josie & Kacy live in LA, though Kacy formerly worked in the Wardrobe Department for the show, in previous seasons. Scott's reduced schedule also allows him time to spend with them.

Tonight was apparently 1 of the 5 eps he's allowed to sit out for this season. Sometimes Steve, or another character, explains why he's/Danny's not there; sometimes they don't. Tonight/this week they didn't happen to.

Somewhere back around the 3rd or 4th season (I think it was), he & CBS came to an agreement that he's allowed to do 5 episodes less per season than Alex O'Loughlin. This probably deals with Scott's noted preference for the faster-paced LA/Hollywood lifestyle than the more laid back atmosphere of Hawaii. Plus, at the beginning of filming for S5 (the 2nd day of filming, to be exact) Scott & his longtime partner, Kacy, became the parents of a now 18 month-old daughter, Josie James Caan. Josie & Kacy live in LA, though Kacy formerly worked in the Wardrobe Department for the show, in previous seasons. Scott's reduced schedule also allows him time to spend with them.

Tonight was apparently 1 of the 5 eps he's allowed to sit out for this season. Sometimes Steve, or another character, explains why he's/Danny's not there; sometimes they don't. Tonight/this week they didn't happen to.

Thank you so much!

So I really am going to need someone to take Steve down about a few thousand notches. I mean he has gone from good boss, hard working, nice guy to a meat-head, violence obsessed sleazebag. One second he is going to propose to Cath(who he can't say I love you two more than once), to dating Lynn and then hooking up with a girl on the retreat while he is still seeing Lynn. I also need Danny to do what his mom supposedly said and man up. He just continues to bitch about everything. I mean good god man knock it off! If I were him I would be taking my ex to court because she lied about the paternity of my one child and proceeds to screw over my visitation with my other child. Also Danny you killed a man who killed your brother you might want to consider getting some real fucking counseling. Not this stupid ass "queer baiting" couples therapy shit. If you aren't going to take care of your issues than stop bitching. I'm going to need the writers to stop beating up on poor Kono. She is kick ass, smart and really the best part of the show. They need to stop making Chin Steve 2.0. Chin was always the level headed one and I really fucking miss that. Grover I don't know much about him but he needs to maybe take some anger management classes. This show has fucked with it's characters so much that it has really ruined the show. Instead of character growth it seems to be character regression. The show also needs to stop being so damn deep and go back to being a fun, action filled romp not this dramatic, soap opera like piece of crap it has become. 

So, i have just started watching this show with any regularity, because the reruns happen to be on at a good time for me right now, and I do love a good procedural.  I think I'm now about in the middle of season three.  I don't love it, but there are some really good episodes, mostly involving the crazy great chemistry between Steve and Danny, and the possible sexual relationship/bromance that the show and the characters seem to embrace whole-heartedly rather than just wink at.   But my question is this. Why does the show treat it's non-white leads so terribly?

I mean, seriously, Grace Park is an absolutely top-notch actor.  Battlestar Galactica is one of my favourite shows of all time, and its entire cast was one of the best ever assembled for a tv show.  And Grace Park was my favourite.  Her Sharon "Boomer" Valerii was my favourite character of the first season, and her Sharon "Athena" Agathon was my favourite character of the whole series.  She was brilliant in all the roles she played.  And in Five-O she is so incredibly boring and flat.  It seems like her entire purpose is to swipe at computer screens while wearing fetching tank tops.  Even her on-again, off-again with the Yakuza boss is passionless and unconvincing (though he is way hot :)  And Daniel Dae Kim, I don't know as well, but I've seen him in minor roles on other show where he's more interesting than on this show where he's supposed to be integral.

So I guess I'm asking for someone to tell me that in the next few seasons they actually ask these actors to do something interesting.  

(edited)
On 2/27/2017 at 6:16 PM, mtmjr said:

So, i have just started watching this show with any regularity, because the reruns happen to be on at a good time for me right now, and I do love a good procedural.  I think I'm now about in the middle of season three.  I don't love it, but there are some really good episodes, mostly involving the crazy great chemistry between Steve and Danny, and the possible sexual relationship/bromance that the show and the characters seem to embrace whole-heartedly rather than just wink at.   But my question is this. Why does the show treat it's non-white leads so terribly?

I mean, seriously, Grace Park is an absolutely top-notch actor.  Battlestar Galactica is one of my favourite shows of all time, and its entire cast was one of the best ever assembled for a tv show.  And Grace Park was my favourite.  Her Sharon "Boomer" Valerii was my favourite character of the first season, and her Sharon "Athena" Agathon was my favourite character of the whole series.  She was brilliant in all the roles she played.  And in Five-O she is so incredibly boring and flat.  It seems like her entire purpose is to swipe at computer screens while wearing fetching tank tops.  Even her on-again, off-again with the Yakuza boss is passionless and unconvincing (though he is way hot :)  And Daniel Dae Kim, I don't know as well, but I've seen him in minor roles on other show where he's more interesting than on this show where he's supposed to be integral.

So I guess I'm asking for someone to tell me that in the next few seasons they actually ask these actors to do something interesting.  

Besides H50, Daniel's best-known for playing Jin (I can't remember/don't know his last name), the male half of the Korean couple who apparently didn't speak English & who was among those stranded after the plane crash, in Lost. He did that show immediately before H50.

You didn't say where you're watching the H50 reruns, but if you're watching them on TNT network in the US on late Wednesday nights/early Thursday mornings & on late Friday nights/early Saturday mornings (twice a week, up from once), you're about to start/have just started Season 4. The last ep I'm positive was on there was the S3 finale, this past late Friday night/early Saturday morning.

Uncortunately, I can't help you with--at least your perception of--whether or not the Chin & Kono characters get to do anything "interesting" between where you seem to be, in the middle of S3, & the middle of S7 where those who've been watching the show in real time are/should be right now.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment. Then to fix spacing.

I love Daniel's Chin. He is so cool and level headed. The Yin to the Five 0 team.

Steve is becoming a major league bleep these days, as a very much a selfish controlling jerk that in a sense is maybe why Catherine dumped him.

Danny is a whiner but he means well.

Kono is bada*s as a woman.

Love Grover as do not know what and why the hate.

In 1 of the ep threads awhile back, I seem to remember someone else bringing up the age of Londyn Silzer, who plays Chin's niece Sara Diaz.

The age of Zach Sulzbach, who plays Danny & Rachel's son Charlie, was also brought up & I said that I had read he was 6 in real life--while it's been said a few times on the show, recently, by Scott in character as Danny, that Charlie is supposed to be 4 (as I remember), though he may have subsequently been aged up to 5 (which would be canon for this part of S7). All I know for sure is that Charlie was born (supposedly early, according to Danny who was conveniently roped into being at the birth since Stan--the father according to Rachel at the time--was in Beijing on business) in S2 Ep 214, Pu'olo (Package), which aired February 14 (Valentines Day), 2012; so he should now be 5 in show canon & Gracie should be 14... I think (in canon she was 9 when Charlie was born).

Anyway... Back to what I wanted to say about Londyn Silzer's age. For those who wanted to know, today--April 30, 2017--is Londyn's 8th birthday in real life. I got a Tweet on my Twitter account earlier today, posted by her parents & sister, Brooklyn (who plays/played Emma Scorpio-Drake, daughter of Drs. Patrick Drake & Robin Scorpio-Drake, on General Hospital l), wishing Londyn a happy 8th birthday on the Twitter account in Londyn's name.

So Londyn's now 8 in real life & was 7, I think, when her character was introduced. But have they ever said how old her character, Sara, is on the show? I thought they had, & that was how the whole question of Londyn's real life age got started. We were trying to figure out how close to her real age she was playing in character (by the way, Teilor Grubbs is playing Gracie as being a year younger than she is in real life; Zach is around 2 years older in real life than Charlie is in the show), but I looked & could never find Londyn's real age anywhere online (which is probably a smart move because it doesn't limit, as much, the characters she can play as a child actor--though she obviously can't play anyone who's way younger or older than she is).

I have the last 4 episodes still unwatched on my DVR.  I think my  interest in this show is waning.  The Hawaii porn still has some allure, but I'm just getting tired of crime shows in general.  It all seems to be the same plot line.  

The interactions of the characters here was also pretty good in the past, but idk, it just seems less entertaining lately.  I'll probably get through these last four episodes at some point over the summer, but i'm not sure I'll be back for the next season.

I was thinking about the best - or should I say worst - villains in the series. What do you think?

Wo Fat is the obvious choice but I think he was doing his job as Steve's nemezis. I really like Mark Dacascos' fighting style, I've first noticed it when he confronted Joe White and "enjoyed" it since. Apart from that, he had that sociopathic grace about him, almost never seemed nervous, had his Chinese proverbs and tea drinking rituals inbetween slaughtering people and could really get into people's heads. (And in a way he always had a mental advantage over McGarrett - first knowing his family's secrets which Steve himself didn't know and then seemingly being closer to Doris.)

Gabriel wasn't quite as convincing, at least to me. I kind of had the impression that he couldn't decide if he wanted to kill Chin or beg him to be friends again. IMO if Chin pretended to go for one of his offers or to really feel indebted, he could've played with his head and catch him much earlier. Gabriel's biggest advantage was having no scruples but I don't think he was the smartest or the strongest (mentally).

As for minor ones, I really disliked Roco Maconi, I know he only appeared for like ten minutes but there was something disturbing enough about him to make me remember him. The cannibal guy who was running away with Adam and Duclair was also pretty scary. Duclair himself was kind of interesting because he was... less stable than the others and it was hard to predict his next move. 

Another interesting one was Ian Wright, I enjoyed the two episodes he was in, but from the beginning I knew he's in for a miserable end, and not just because bad guys can't win in that world. He was a kid who started messing with the big boys, and didn't know what he's getting himself into. His hacking skills were an advantage but it was always a matter of time before someone would get tired of it and shoot him. 

Funnily enough, the guy who I really couldn't stand more than any of them was Coughlin. I know compared to those mentioned above he did pretty much nothing wrong but every time he opened his mouth or actually showed his face I found it so infuriating I wanted to punch him. 

I wanted to like the woman who took over the mafia this season.  I should have remembered that no woman other than Kono can do anything on this show.  Having her meekly surrender because Steve threatened her daughter(s) was disgusting.

(edited)
7 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I wanted to like the woman who took over the mafia this season.  I should have remembered that no woman other than Kono can do anything on this show.  Having her meekly surrender because Steve threatened her daughter(s) was disgusting.

Well, almost everyone in this show cracks when someone threatens their kids, men too. We can't be sure if she really surrendered :)

I think that she was way more successful than most male criminals, she got away many times (after killing Sara's mother and kidnapping Sara, after trying to kill Adam when he was in prison and after chasing Gabriel and 5-0) and she came very close to killing 4/5 of the team. I don't remember anyone kidnapping so many of them at once, and with them not being able to free themselves on their own. I wouldn't call it "not being able to do anything". In the end she was unsuccessful but I think it was because she was on the side that never wins in this show, not because she was a woman.

Madison Gray was also pretty good at executing her plans, in fact you can't say that she ever failed (assuming that Alicia killed her) because she pretty much chose to die. And there was one other female that almost got away (and again, she was on the wrong side so in this show it's as good as it gets) - this female therapist (Vanessa?) who had a restraining order against Steve and for some time everyone but Steve believed she's innocent. 

So, I think female villains in 5-0 can handle themselves pretty well. And as for "good girls", what about Catherine? She might be gone now, but when she was around, she was doing fine. 

Edited by pinkglove
6 hours ago, pinkglove said:

Well, almost everyone in this show cracks when someone threatens their kids, men too. We can't be sure if she really surrendered :)

I just like "Well, she's had enough episodes (far fewer than dumb-ass Gabriel) and we need to hustle her off the show, so let's make up some children we've never seen or heard of and see how tough she is then."  The thing I liked about her was how she kept her cool in the Blue Room of Torture, but hat couldn't last so they chose a highly contrived plot to send her off.

32 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

I just like "Well, she's had enough episodes (far fewer than dumb-ass Gabriel) and we need to hustle her off the show, so let's make up some children we've never seen or heard of and see how tough she is then."  The thing I liked about her was how she kept her cool in the Blue Room of Torture, but hat couldn't last so they chose a highly contrived plot to send her off.

I'm almost positive we knew about Michelle Shioma's daughters before her most recent appearance, where Five-0 threatened her with losing custody of them.

• Love 1

Here are reasons I think Steve drives Danny's car

1. He has control issues

2. He gets car sick which we saw Aunt Deb driving his truck fast

3. Danny lets him to see him happy

4. Danny knows Steve is the boss

5. If Danny wanted to drive and really got serious about it, and not laughing and kidding all the time, he would really tell Steve to back off Seal and boss or not Seal and boss.

6. Danny prefers Steve's friendship over who gets to drive what. Despite his "complaints" about it.

I thought Wo Fat was the best long-term guy. Gabriel just made me roll my eyes as the show tried desperately to tell us what a mastermind he was. I thought Michelle Shioma was lame too. I tend to think that villains are best in relatively short duration. Wo Fat was wearing out his welcome by the time they finally took him down.

I thought Duclair was freaky on his first appearance but I've liked their continued use of him. I wouldn't mind him coming back, I thought he actually had some decent layers to him. Same for Madison Grey, although I doubt she's coming back.

48 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Yeah she was seen with her kids in her first appearance. 

Yeah, and 5-0 actually saw her attitude towards her daughters when they were arresting her for the first time. They were also seen in the episode in which Yakuza guys were chasing Gabriel and 5-0. Shioma was acting like the sweetest mum in the world and a minute later she was on the phone telling her guy that he has to kill Gabriel and everyone who goes in the way or else she'll kill him and everyone he loves. 

Even though I agree Shioma was a more interesting villain than Gabriel, in a way it's understandable why Gabriel had more episodes. Gabriel didn't mind getting his hands dirty and he himself admitted to Adam that he doesn't know the game - so he was making every move to find out which one would be right. Shioma not only avoided putting herself on the line but also made the right moves quietly. (Even when she captured 5-0 she wanted them to think she's dead.) 

26 minutes ago, JessDVD said:

I thought Duclair was freaky on his first appearance but I've liked their continued use of him. I wouldn't mind him coming back, I thought he actually had some decent layers to him. Same for Madison Grey, although I doubt she's coming back.

Isn't Duclair dead? I remember him being shot by Yakuza when he was running away with Adam. As for him being freaky on his first appearance, I tought that too, but we were kind of seeing him from the perspective of this female agent who was going after him because he killed her husband. Actually, I probably still consider him freaky but at least I know he's also freaking himself out. 

On 5/19/2017 at 6:16 PM, pinkglove said:

Isn't Duclair dead? 

I didn't recall him dying, and when I googled to see what episode he was in to refer to the PTV thread about it to remind myself of something in his first appearance, the H50 wikia had him listed as deceased. I referred to the PTV thread about his second appearance, and someone had asked if he was dead and it was commented that Grover said something about him getting medical help and the assumption was that he did and was sent back to Halawa. So, I don't know.

• Love 1

I think Duclair was killed in the S6 ep (it was, like, Ep 621) involving his escape, along with some other "big bad"s Five-0 arrested & Kono's husband Adam from Hālawa Correctional Facility. Except Adam didn't intend to escape but got dragged along because he was chained to 1 of the "big bad"s in the bus they escaped from after having to be evacuated from Hālawa for some reason I've forgotten (but I think the reason for the evacuation was a set up to facilitate the escape).

2 hours ago, Passepartout said:

I think Adam is a good guy but just got tangled up in bad business.

I actually liked the way they introduced Adam (before he started dating Kono), they showed that in a weird way his situation is similar to Steve's.

It's not only that Adam got tangled up in bad business, he was born into bad business (even if his father wanted to keep him out of it). We've seen that it wasn't easy to get away from it. Like he once told Kono, "if they see me as weak, I'm as good as dead". And even when he actually decided to let go of the business, his family's past kept haunting him: Gabriel wanted to hire him to help him run the business (which almost got Adam killed by Yakuza). 

And actually, he usually seemed uncomfortable when being violent. He didn't kill Wo Fat, he was terrified that "he killed two people for nothing" and he felt bad when this American Yakuza guy forced him to torture Gabriel's guy. 

Steve wasn't born into bad business but both were thrown into a crazy situation they didn't understand. And their families wanted to protect them by keeping the truth from them. Funnily enough, both Steve's mother and Adam's father were helped by Joe White, so their sons didn't know that they were alive (and both went into hiding because of Wo Fat... even though I guess Wo Fat didn't really want to kill Doris.)

In his second appearance in the show, Adam comes to Steve and tells him "I'm just a man looking for his father, you all of people should understand" or something like that. Later Steve tells Adam that he understands his urge to kill Joe White (but he shouldn't because Hiro is alive). 

I always thought it would be a good start for some sort of friendship between them and regretted that it didn't happen (in a way it did but I guess we've never heard them exchange more than two sentences). 

On 23.05.2017 at 10:51 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I think Duclair was killed in the S6 ep (it was, like, Ep 621) involving his escape, along with some other "big bad"s Five-0 arrested & Kono's husband Adam from Hālawa Correctional Facility. Except Adam didn't intend to escape but got dragged along because he was chained to 1 of the "big bad"s in the bus they escaped from after having to be evacuated from Hālawa for some reason I've forgotten (but I think the reason for the evacuation was a set up to facilitate the escape).

IIRC the reason for evacuation was some sort of chemical spill and it was a set up but not to facilitate the escape. It was Michelle Shioma's plot to kill Adam, because she wrongly assumed that he was working with Gabriel. One of the guards was working for her, and he made sure that Adam would be in the bus with the "bid bads", even though he shouldn't be. Then the transport exploded and most of the prisoners were hurt or worse - those who weren't escaped, but it wasn't planned. (In the meantime a Yakuza guy killed Adam's lookalike and some other Yakuzas were chasing Adam in the jungle.)

By the way, I think that despite his love for Rachel, Danny may have a tiny crush on Kono (and may not even realize it). He was clearly attracted to her in the first episode and throughout the series he complimented her looks many times. Even in 7x23 her appearance was the first thing that came to his mind when he was describing her to a comatose guy. When talking to Steve about their old cases, he also seemed especially angry about the times "they almost got Kono killed" and he looked really broken when they had to arrest her in Season 2. And he was the only 5-0 guy who believed that Adam was working with Gabriel. 

• Love 1

Yeah but I never thought Danny had a tiny crush on Kono. But still he needs to move on from his ex-wife. And that he needs to realize that in keeping on Steve with slowing down.  Danny is a smart person who thinks before he acts. Wished Steve would do the same thing. Steve acts before he thinks.

• Love 2

Having only been a casual watcher through the years, I finally decided to watch the whole series.  I never realized how much Steve & Danny are like my first loves, Starsky & Hutch.

But I'm trying to find the episode where Danny & Kono go undercover as a couple.  Can anyone help?