Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Kamekona's Wailoa Shave Ice

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, roamyn said:

Having only been a casual watcher through the years, I finally decided to watch the whole series.  I never realized how much Steve & Danny are like my first loves, Starsky & Hutch.

But I'm trying to find the episode where Danny & Kono go undercover as a couple.  Can anyone help?

I think you mean the S1 ep where the whole team goes undercover at, like, a gambling party or some kind of meeting involving New Jersey mobsters who are trying to take over the Honolulu organized crime scene from the local Samoan gangs who are running it.

Steve & Danny were undercover as 2 gamblers; Kono was pretending to be a cocktail waitress at this event; they got entrance through Chin & Kono's cousin Sid, an HPD officer who was also, but separately, doing an investigation into the New Jersey mob takeover of organized crime in Honolulu/Hawaii. Chin, who was deemed to be the most recognizable of the team because of his issues with HPD & their Internal Affairs Department, monitored the event from the safety of a nondescript truck & was ready to warn the rest of the team if their cover had been broken. And of course it was.

The Jersey Mob boss insisted on going over the guest list, even though he had been assured by Sid--who was in charge of the event security--that everyone was who they were purported to be. Of course, Mr. Mob Boss finds 2 names he doesn't recognize on the list: the aliases used by Steve & Danny (& 1--I think Danny--was "Mr. Edwards", which may, or may not, have been an early nod to the character of Stan Edwards, second husband of Danny's ex-wife, Rachel, stepfather to Danny's daughter, Grace, & a wealthy real estate developer whose relationship with Danny doesn't start off the best/the most friendly). So the Mob Guy has his henchmen try to get the real names of the people he doesn't recognize, & whether or not they're cops, out of Sid by beating him up & threatening to shoot him & let him bleed out by the pool/on the lanai of the rented house, or whatever, the thing's being held at.

Once their covers are blown, Danny & Kono go into the area where Sid's being kept pretending to be attracted to each other & looking for the way to at least 1 of their cars, or a private area where they can be alone together. They're giggling & talking, & trying to distract the Mobsters from torturing Sid & otherwise trying to help set the Mobsters up so Five-0 & HPD can swoop in & arrest them before they can beat/shoot Sid to death & before Chin & Kono can reach Sid's level of trouble with the Mobsters for inadvertently coming across the Mobsters interrogating & torturing Sid.

That was towards the end of the S1 ep, Malama ka ʻaina (Respect the Land), which I think was S1, Ep 3.

3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I think you mean the S1 ep where the whole team goes undercover at, like, a gambling party or some kind of meeting involving New Jersey mobsters who are trying to take over the Honolulu organized crime scene from the local Samoan gangs who are running it.

Steve & Danny were undercover as 2 gamblers; Kono was pretending to be a cocktail waitress at this event; they got entrance through Chin & Kono's cousin Sid, an HPD officer who was also, but separately, doing an investigation into the New Jersey mob takeover of organized crime in Honolulu/Hawaii. Chin, who was deemed to be the most recognizable of the team because of his issues with HPD & their Internal Affairs Department, monitored the event from the safety of a nondescript truck & was ready to warn the rest of the team if their cover had been broken. And of course it was.

The Jersey Mob boss insisted on going over the guest list, even though he had been assured by Sid--who was in charge of the event security--that everyone was who they were purported to be. Of course, Mr. Mob Boss finds 2 names he doesn't recognize on the list: the aliases used by Steve & Danny (& 1--I think Danny--was "Mr. Edwards", which may, or may not, have been an early nod to the character of Stan Edwards, second husband of Danny's ex-wife, Rachel, stepfather to Danny's daughter, Grace, & a wealthy real estate developer whose relationship with Danny doesn't start off the best/the most friendly). So the Mob Guy has his henchmen try to get the real names of the people he doesn't recognize, & whether or not they're cops, out of Sid by beating him up & threatening to shoot him & let him bleed out by the pool/on the lanai of the rented house, or whatever, the thing's being held at.

Once their covers are blown, Danny & Kono go into the area where Sid's being kept pretending to be attracted to each other & looking for the way to at least 1 of their cars, or a private area where they can be alone together. They're giggling & talking, & trying to distract the Mobsters from torturing Sid & otherwise trying to help set the Mobsters up so Five-0 & HPD can swoop in & arrest them before they can beat/shoot Sid to death & before Chin & Kono can reach Sid's level of trouble with the Mobsters for inadvertently coming across the Mobsters interrogating & torturing Sid.

That was towards the end of the S1 ep, Malama ka ʻaina (Respect the Land), which I think was S1, Ep 3.

I thought it might be that episode, but I saw a fan vid where Koni's in a long red dress, hair up, and Danny's driving a fancy sports car, and wondered if it was a different ep.

4 hours ago, roamyn said:

I thought it might be that episode, but I saw a fan vid where Koni's in a long red dress, hair up, and Danny's driving a fancy sports car, and wondered if it was a different ep.

I think that is the second episode of season 7.  The one with Chris Vance as the MI6 agent who hasn't really gone rogue and who has his own jet.

4 hours ago, roamyn said:

Ahhh. Thank you.  I haven't seen that one, yet.  I'm up to 7.1, though I've seen several already, I'm watching the series in order, now.

Apart from this, they are also acting as a couple (even more so, I guess) in one of the first episodes. I don't remember which one it was, probably 3rd or 4th. It's the one with the match and Chin's conflict with his cousin. 

4 hours ago, pinkglove said:

Apart from this, they are also acting as a couple (even more so, I guess) in one of the first episodes. I don't remember which one it was, probably 3rd or 4th. It's the one with the match and Chin's conflict with his cousin. 

I seem to recall that that was more of a fake drunken party make-out thing, to distract the bad guys.  Scott was the not-suave party guest (regular suit and tie next to MacGarrett's black-tie tux), and Kono was one of the servers.

Pinkglove said: Apart from this, they are acting as a couple (even more so, I guess) in one of the first episodes).

That was the ep I mentioned, Malama ka ʻaina (Respect the Land), which was Ep 103. Someone mentioned Kono wearing red in the scene they remembered; the "cocktail waitress" outfit she had to wear while undercover at the Mobsters' party was a print design with red in it, as I remember. And I know it was more like something all the girls working the party had to wear, as opposed to something Kono chose, or was chosen for her, because I saw other girls in the background of the scene wearing the same dress.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix where I messed up & doubling the part I quoted.

From Media Talk:

Don't know about you all but tired of Steve's control issues? As it went from good natured to that of mean spirited.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with most of Danny's complaining, when Steve's control issues are 100x worse.  Like when he tells Danny to pick something for dinner, and he shoots down every suggestion and orders what he wanted in the first place.  Or that Danny needs to consult w/Steve if he's thinking abt his future and retiring in a few years.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

To me, Danny's whining is far worse.  Steve is controlling because he is allowed to be.  All Danny has to do is stand up to him.  That he chooses not to is on him.

I disagree.  With the exception of the car, Danny does try to stand up to him.

The aforementioned dinner discussion, which was in S5, is an example.  To keep peace, Danny let him order the Indian(?) food, but he called Steve out on it.  

The same w/the way Steve is he'll bent on killing himself in the line of duty, aft donating his liver.  Danny's not the boss, he can't make Steve stand down.  All he can do is complain abt his actions and how one day, one or the other is gonna get killed due to Steve's actions.  But he goes a long to keep Steve safe, rather than up and walk away.

Edited by roamyn

Yeah as how that Danny is a true friend. Steve may be a SEAL but it will come back to haunt him. Also the way he never said thanks or acted grateful.  Just shows you how his character has been butchered.

Steve is the boss but he has no right to play God in Danny's life. And really if Danny got all serious and needed to drive his car, then man up, drive your car, and not be joking about it.  But he lets Steve do that as it makes Steve happy.

And at times, he does need to walk away as Steve thinks he is so invincible. Danny is a caring man as he goes out of his way. Sure he is whining but at least he has a reason

Steve is in control as a boss, but playing God is crossing a line. Danny needs to grow a backbone. 

I know Danny and Kono kiss in Season 1 episode 3 (Malama Ka Aina) when there was a gang war at a football gang. Kono goes undercover at a high roller party and Steve and Danny play rich whales. 

I don't remember another one but I may have missed it.

8 hours ago, SoapDoc said:

I know Danny and Kono kiss in Season 1 episode 3 (Malama Ka Aina) when there was a gang war at a football gang. Kono goes undercover at a high roller party and Steve and Danny play rich whales. 

I don't remember another one but I may have missed it.

The one I was specifically looking for was S7.2.  I just watched that (mostly) unbelievable episode. 

• Love 1