Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Dead Man's Party

Clary convinces Jace, Alec and Isabelle to help her save Simon from The Hotel DuMort; Jace helps Clary learn more about her powers; Isabelle searches for intel; and Alec begins to question Jace's motives. Meanwhile, Simon meets the leader of the vampires, Camille.

I actually liked this episode a lot more than the last one. I thought Dominic and Kat had some chemistry, and I thought Kat's acting was much improved over the last couple.

Emeraude Toubia as Izzy was terrible in that graveyard scene, there was one line reading in particular that was absolutely awful - "you just can't let up can you". I thought she was better in the scenes with Meliorn

I agree, this was a better episode than the last two. I also thought Dom and Kat were much improved, and I liked the tension between Jace and Alec.

Izzy and Meliorn were kinda boring though, and that motorcycle scene was cheesy as hell. Although, if I'm honest, I don't see how it could have been anything else.

I thought the pacing was a little off. They were in a rush to rescue Simon but then they decided to wait till dawn, which I guess makes sense but I don't think it translated very well on screen.

I don't understand how the swords are supposed to work, in the pilot they retracted when no one was touching them (in that scene in Pandemonium), but now they don't?

I see all roads leading to Magnus Bane, hope he's a big part of the next episode!

Camille won some points with me when she froze Simon. That kid is super annoying, although Simon's actor is one of the most competent among the young cast. 

I think Kat's still a bit off, but it might just be her voice. Too light and breathy. It doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the show. 

• Love 1

I agree, this episode was a step up. A baby step, but still an improvement. I finally saw some (forced) chemistry between Jace and Clary, and lo and behold, I also managed to go more than five minutes without being distracted by that Frank's Red Hot wing sauce-colored hair of hers. I'm digging Alec and the actor who plays him, but then again Alec was always one of my favorites from the books. I'm still not feeling Izzy or Name That I Won't Try To Spell who plays her. She's too over the top. Izzy is supposed to be somewhat of a vixen, or at least someone who likes to play up the vixen angle, but I feel like she's not supposed to be so damn obvious about it. She's almost a caricature here. Simon, Camille and Rafael were fun. Although book Rafael (Raphael) was supposed to be a lot younger, or "younger," wasn't he? Oh well.

So book people tell me, is Alec supposed to be this much cooler and smarter than everyone else or is it just that Matthew Daddario is the only one of the main 5 that knows what he's doing?

This episode suffered from a whole lot of Clary and Jace and no Mike Chang, I never want to see that bike again.

I want a bracelet that turns into a whip.

In the books, Jace is the coolest and smartest and bestest everything. In the show, so far it's Alec.

And it's far better that way, because the book Jace was insufferable after a while.

• Love 2

It was an improvement but really all the episode proved to me was how much I liked the vampires.  And how much I missed Magnus Bane.  

Alec just seems bitchy, Izzy is simple, and Jace is not anywhere near as charming as he should be for being a supposed "chosen one."

For all of that I am actually enjoying the show.  It fills a bit of the hole that Once has left till March.  

Yeah I can't deal with the super specialness of Clari and Jace falling over himself in order to amuse her. 

Her argument to save Simon was you guys protect humans, you suck at it now go risk your lives to save my friend who I dragged along to the City of Bones in the first place.

The Jace and Clari 'chemistry' feels so incredibly forced it's ridiculous. As for Izzy... well let's just say I'm not impressed and leave it at that.

I'm annoyed at Jace constantly shutting down his supposed best friend every time he mentions reservations about the girl he met one ? day ago. It makes him look like a complete and utter sap.

The vampire Queen should have removed Simon's shirt so he wouldn't get it bloody. What a terrible host.

I won't be watching this show any more. It has the demons/bad guys die so easily it's pathetic. I might lurk around the forums to see if anything improves enough to start watching again. 

I don't understand how the swords are supposed to work, in the pilot they retracted when no one was touching them (in that scene in Pandemonium), but now they don't?

My thoughts exactly. Clary is so tiny, there's no way she could've been carrying around that giant sword without it being seen (by us, I mean). It makes no sense.

I thought this episode was super boring, and not at all an improvement on the first two. Nothing really happened- just a lot of waiting around and ridiculous "seduction" scenes while they were waiting to rescue Simon. And don't get me started on that "training" session in the graveyard. How exactly does learning to slowly and sensuously wave a sword in the air prepare Clary for combat? And then Raphael just let Simon go? Without getting information or trying to exchange him for Clary, or get anything out of it? Pointless.

The actress who played Camille was all wrong. She didn't have the right gravitas or charisma to portray such a powerful character. And what the hell was Meliorn wearing?

I don't mind the actress playing Izzy, but I think it would have more of an impact if she was able to turn her OTT sexiness on and off as the situation called for it, and used it more as a weapon/distraction, than just keeping it turned up to 10 at all times. It's good for seducing seelies and distracting demons, but laughable when she does a sexy butt wiggling walk in front of her two brothers. I like Alec and Simon, and think Clary is ok but annoying (which is fine, because she was equally annoying in the books), but I don't think Jace is right. He just doesn't have the right swagger. He's confident, but not cocky enough.

So far, after each episode I've been watching the corresponding scenes from the movie version for comparison and I have to say, despite its flaws, I really think the movie version has a much more logical plot flow so far. And the fight scene with the vampires is much scarier IMO in the film because there are a lot more of them attacking, and they aren't just being zapped apart like sparklers every second.

ETA: I forgot to say that I thought the actor playing Simon did a good job at the end during Clary's "I love you....... you're my best friend" speech. Very good subtle change of facial expressions. I was a little surprised, because it seemed like they were really downplaying the whole Simon-in-love-with-Clary plot line in the first two episodes (which would be fine by me), but I guess it will be included.

Edited by Cherpumple
The actress who played Camille was all wrong. She didn't have the right gravitas or charisma to portray such a powerful character. And what the hell was Meliorn wearing?

I don't mind the actress playing Izzy, but I think it would have more of an impact if she was able to turn her OTT sexiness on and off as the situation called for it, and used it more as a weapon/distraction, than just keeping it turned up to 10 at all times.

It's for these exact reasons why it occurred to me earlier that Camille and Izzy would work better if the actresses switched places.

I liked it well enough - I even like that they're keeping Clary's flaws. The girl is amazingly selfish and pigheaded, while also being very brave and pretty bright. The problem in the books was that no one but Alec and Luke ever called her out on it and Alec was such an ass to her that it never mattered

At one point in the first book after sniping at her for putting everyone in danger - which she did - he shoves her up against a wall so hard she blacks out a little after she accuses him of hating her because Jace is in love with her and not him - which was true. Alec and Clary are genuinely awful to each other the first book

. Unfortunately it seems the show will follow that trend.

I hope they don't keep Simon Nice Guying the hell out of Clary because that was annoying to read. And I actually really like the guy they've got playing Jace. He's too short but he's got the same kind of swagger that was honestly a bit goofy that book!Jace had.

Edited by aslightjump
  • Love 1
And I actually really like the guy they've got playing Jace. He's too short but he's got the same kind of swagger that was honestly a bit goofy that book!Jace had.

Yeah, he's growing on me too, although to me he's still missing a lot of the Jace sarcasm and wit. Dominic Sherwood is 5'11" (because apparently I'm now invested enough to Google these things), which, according to a Mortal Instruments wiki (these things too) is exactly how tall Jace is supposed to be. He looks short next to Matthew Daddario, who is 6'3" and is rapidly turning into my new TV crush.

Oh my God, I need a life.

• Love 3