Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Phil Makes Hay From Making A Murderer

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

When it became the Nancy Grace hour and both were pretty snide and rude to each other, despite his claim that she is a dear, old friend, I couldn't watch it anymore and switched to Andy Griffith re-runs.

Nancy Grace has been a garbage human ever since her days as an unethical Atlanta prosecutor. She's lucky that there are enough people in the world who like hearing terrible people rant on television.

• Love 5

You're a better woman than I, Sarah D. Bunting. My enraged fascination with the Avery & Dassey cases notwithstanding, a basic hatred of "Dr." Phil prevents me from ever watching this. Sounds as if Nancy Grace's braying lunacy made Phil look like a hero, though. Well done, Nancy, you blowhard asshole.

"I'm pretty sure the series did discuss the *67 and Avery using his sister's information, and that the key DNA wasn't blood DNA, and that Avery had asked for Halbach and had appeared for one of their meetings in a towel. I'm all for people arguing that MAM is one-sided, and interrogating it as a work from that angle, but if your issue with the Free Avery movement is that MAM didn't give us a complete picture of the situation, try citing things MAM didn't in fact present."

Apologies for no quote box up there, but I can't access any of those tools at the moment. Anyhizzle, I just binge-watched MaM this past weekend, and I don't recall mention of *67 or the towel thing. Do you remember whether it was covered during the trial(s) episodes, or before? Not sure I can put myself through watching it again, but just in case I do, I wanted to look out for that info.

• Love 1

"I don't recall mention of *67 or the towel thing. Do you remember whether it was covered during the trial(s) episodes, or before?"<br /><br />I don't, and it's quite possible I've conflated the Crime Writers On podcast and the actual series. Phil's list was two screens' worth of material and there was definitely stuff that was in the series but not covered in the trial footage.<br /><br />I'm just so revolted by Grace mentioning her late fiance and trying to give herself John Walsh stature through that tragedy when Walsh himself wouldn't stoop to that. (I don't think.) And why is her hair so goddamned terrible?

• Love 2

Ah, conflation is easy when there's so much info bouncing around. I think I'll give that podcast a listen (when I'm feeling Zen enough not to go into a rage spiral).<br /><br />Re: Grace, she's so much the worst that the parody of her in Gone Girl . . . wasn't even a parody. She's a parody of herself, is what I'm saying, and her whole schtick is all the more nauseating because it plays on her viewers' every ignorant, fearful instinct. <br /><br />It's cases like these and jackals like Grace who profit from them that make my husband, who trained as a barrister in the UK, give the American justice system massive side eye. And yeah, I can't even with using a loved one's death to pander to the masses while furthering one's own career/agenda. Can you imagine the kind of prosecutor she must have been? Haaate.<br /><br />And I hope her stylists are deliberately sabotaging her hair.

• Love 1

I generally hold Dr. Phil (or sorry, Dah-turr Feel as Nancy Grace says) and Nancy Grace in the same low regard but I admit his dismissal of her put him a few points ahead.

Can you imagine the kind of prosecutor she must have been? Haaate.

The kind who was reprimanded several times for withholding evidence and ethical violations. Hard to believe, I know! I mean you would think a person who has lied directly about the circumstance (and her involvement) of her fiancee's death would hold themselves to a higher standard but turns out, NOPE.

• Love 4

I think in Nancy's mind, Avery is still guilty of the offense he was jailed for even though DNA exonerated him. I agree with Dr. Phil that these two need a fair retrail. Especially the nephew. He was so easily confused and duped. That was tragic.

After watching the MOAM, I was most confused with how the key wasn't found until the 7th search if the bedroom, no Halbach DNA (blood/sweat/hair that nephew cut) in the bedroom. You saw Avery's home. He's not that clean. And just where was that cop when he called in Halbach license plate?

• Love 2

Ugh. I didn't think I could despise Nancy Grace more, but she made Dr. Phil look reasonable. The horrror.

I mean, there's nothing entertaining about watching these two bloviating idiots scream at each other.

• Love 1

I had to FF through the entire Nancy Grace segments to retain my own sanity, so thanks for the recap. I'd like to think that Grace's (how ironic is THAT name) view of the world - that if you're on trial, you're definitely guilty - is slowly disappearing, but I think my optimism is premature.

What do these mean?  .<br /><br />  and *67?

I think in Nancy's mind, Avery is still guilty

Ya think?   LOL!  She is adamant!

Edited by wings707

I haven't seen the film, and I am not that familiar with the case, but when they showed the interrogations of the one young man, I was like uhhh, he has no clue or mental ability to comprehend the seriousness of the questions or his situation.  And if his attorney said yes I helped the police, automatic conflict of interest.  Your attorney is to advise their client, not to help the police or DA.  If they feel that that strongly, then the attorney should have resigned and told the accused to get other representation.

NG is just awful.  She cannot have a thoughtful conversation or discussion of the facts, unless it's someone who agrees with her.  If you dare to have even the slightest difference of opinion, then she yells, trots out how her fiance was murdered, how she was a victim too and now she stands up with all victims (gag), calls those who disagree with her names, and won't let the other person get in one word.  That she did on someone else's show, to that host (even though he's pretty dreadful, too) just shows me how big her ego really is now.  If I was Dr. Phil, we'd have been re-taping the show, or editing her part to a few sound bites at best.  He has more patience that I do in that regard.  You can disagree, but have a civil conversation about it.   

Nancy Grace is the absolute worst. I stopped watching GMA when they made her a contributor. The sight of her face makes me want to rage-punch my tv. She has blood on her own damn hands. Ugh, can you imagine being at a cocktail party with her?? She has no nuance & no vision for shades of grey. She decides someone's guilty & holds that line come hell or high water. Thank the lord she's not a prosecutor anymore. I can't even imagine the kind of bullshit she would hold onto to not have to change her viewpoint on something.

• Love 1