Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Sweet Tea & Sit Ups

• Start Topic

With Michaella’s wedding quickly approaching, Kelly Jo and Gil wager to see who can get in shape to look their best for the big day. While Kelly Jo enlists Tori to motivate her and help with workouts, Gil finds his coach, Lawson, uses a more hands off approach to whip him into shape.

Setting up the topic for tonight's episode and replying to it, so that it will bump up to the top (I also created a topic for episode 3, so I didn't want there to be confusion).

Without having seen it, this episode seems to have a whiff of "hey! I've got a great idea for an episode," rather than something that came about naturally in the course of their everyday lives.   

• Like 1

I thought it was interesting when the one boy said in a TH that he'd miss Michael but not Brandon. I'm not trying to read too much into it, but kids are often very intuitive when it comes to sizing up character. I wonder if he senses that Brandon could care less about the wedding and doesn't seem fond of his in-laws and that's where that response came from.

• Love 2

I thought it was interesting when the one boy said in a TH that he'd miss Michael but not Brandon. I'm not trying to read too much into it, but kids are often very intuitive when it comes to sizing up character. I wonder if he senses that Brandon could care less about the wedding and doesn't seem fond of his in-laws and that's where that response came from.

I just assumed, and I could be wrong, that they did not know Brandon that well. He does not seem to be around much because he is in Chicago. That was just my thought. Brandon, to me, just seems bland. I can understand why the kids might not gravitate to him.

I like that Michaela was a nanny.  I think it was from the episode where Kelly went shopping with Trace where she asked if he was going to get a job or go to college (Crown College, but with these folks I will take it). I guess that I like that they seem to either want the kids to get some kind of education or a job, even the girls. I think most parents have that approach, but since I am so used to the Duggar's not really placing an importance on either of those things ( though that may be different now) it is nice to see.

• Love 2

For whatever reason and there are many possibilities, I don't think Brandon relates well to the siblings.  The kids have had experience with Whitney who wanted to be a member of the family and a sibling to them all it seems and Chad who helps with anything they want and seems to let them come over whenever they want.  I think it makes Brandon who seems maybe shy, overwhelmed by them all, or maybe he's just standoffish or ill at ease for some reason to seem to be a hands off stick in the mud to the kids. 

• Love 2

So what's with all the uncertainty about how many people will show up to the wedding?  The bride says 500, Kelly Jo says 600-800 and Gil guesses 1000.  Did they not send out invitations requesting RSVP like most people do?  Maybe they just went around town posting flyers or took out out an ad in the local newspaper!

Erin's baby seems very lethargic in these first couple of episodes of the new season...seems like most scenes he is lying flat on his stomach in Erin's lap while she rubs his back...is that indicative of something?

So what's with all the uncertainty about how many people will show up to the wedding?  The bride says 500, Kelly Jo says 600-800 and Gil guesses 1000.  Did they not send out invitations requesting RSVP like most people do?  Maybe they just went around town posting flyers or took out out an ad in the local newspaper!

Erin's baby seems very lethargic in these first couple of episodes of the new season...seems like most scenes he is lying flat on his stomach in Erin's lap while she rubs his back...is that indicative of something?

He looks pretty responsive in the instagram videos she posts. but time will tell.

So what's with all the uncertainty about how many people will show up to the wedding? The bride says 500, Kelly Jo says 600-800 and Gil guesses 1000. Did they not send out invitations requesting RSVP like most people do? Maybe they just went around town posting flyers or took out out an ad in the local newspaper!

My understanding of Fundie weddings is you invite a million people and whoever shows up, shows up. Which, IMO, is ridiculous, because you can't make an accurate guess as to how much to cater for.

I about fell off my couch when of the kids made a Finding Nemo reference. "No more eating here tonight, we're on a diiiiiet!" My husband and I always sing that to the kids when they're asking 50 time what's for dinner. I guess there's more than just fundie movies for these kids. 

I loved the way Gil and Kelly talked about Brandon and Michaela. I cannot remember the exact words right now, but it was something to the effect of him honoring or respecting her. That's what parents SHOULD want for their young girls. A partner, not a boss. 

• Love 1

My guess is that he's gassy. Both my boys had terrible gas issues and my father in law would put them over his knees like Erin does and they would love It! Calmed them right down!

For some reason Michaelas dress looks a lot prettier on the hanger than it did on her IMO. I thought it was touching hOw the girls were crying, and not in a, "the only mother I ever knew is leaving" type of way but more in a " I'm really going to miss having another big sister around"'type of way. I also really liked the pie making scene and how that is sort of her "thing" and all the kids will miss that.

• Love 3

Now I'm craving blackberry cobbler...

I know it's hard moving to Chicago and not seeing the family as much, but Michaela's fear that she'll never cook with her younger siblings again is just a tad over-dramatic. They'll probably insist she make a cobbler every time she comes home.

• Love 2

Now I'm craving blackberry cobbler...

I know it's hard moving to Chicago and not seeing the family as much, but Michaela's fear that she'll never cook with her younger siblings again is just a tad over-dramatic. They'll probably insist she make a cobbler every time she comes home.

Considering Michael has been back and forth several times since her wedding and the Bateses traveled to Chicago shortly after, I agree. I mean, she's a housewife, if she wants to visit her family for the weekend there's nothing stopping her.

• Love 1

They did seem overly broken hearted about Michael getting married and leaving, but I was kind of wondering if that's because of how it's been with Alyssa and John. It doesn't seem like Alyssa and John visit very much, and when they do -- from what little we've seen on TV -- it seems like it's a very obligatory visit for both of them and they want to keep it short. Meanwhile Alyssa seems totally engaged with her sisters in law and John's side of the family; she mentioned that her sisters in law knew about her pregnancy well before her sisters; and even after the baby was born, they said not everyone could come visit for a while and only invited Gil and Kelly. I think Tori and Carlin have even said that they aren't as close to Alyssa and John anymore since they're so far away. So I think they -- esp. Gil -- is fearing "losing" another daughter the same way -- where she'll have a life that they won't necessarily be invited to participate in.

I think Michael and Alyssa are different though. Alyssa and esp. John seem like they deal with the family out of obligation; they let the little kids crawl all over them or joke around with Lawson and Nathan with that look of -- are we done yet?? Esp. John -- though I don't think Alyssa's that much different. In this case, I think Brandon may be similar to John, but I think Michael is totally engaged with the family and WANTS to be -- so I see her having the kids visit in Chicago (I think they already have) and making cobbler with them when she's home.

As for whichever kid said he'd miss Michael but not Brandon -- I think the son in law bar has been set REALLY high in that family by Chad and no one else compares. Chad seems super energetic and like he wants to get down on the floor playing with the little kids or if they want to do a project-- I can see him diving right in to build whatever they want or taking them shopping for materials or whatever. Then you have Brandon (and John) who likely play politely for a few minutes or say "wow" a few times when they are shown a project or artwork or something but don't do much on their side to engage. Kids aren't dumb -- they can tell who really wants to be with them and who is doing it because it's polite.

• Love 6

Cereality, agree 100%. I think Chad is the exception, not the rule. Most guys I know aren't really interested in young children nor do they want their in-laws invading their space 24/7. John and Brandon always look uncomfortable around the family. You can practically see them counting down the minutes in their heads until they can leave.

I do find it interesting how Tori and Carlin are close but Michael, Erin and Alyssa only seem to have a cursory relationship with one another. I wonder if the kids had regular friendships growing up so the sisters weren't forced to have "relationships by default" the way the Duggar girls did.

• Love 1

Cereality, agree 100%. I think Chad is the exception, not the rule. Most guys I know aren't really interested in young children nor do they want their in-laws invading their space 24/7. John and Brandon always look uncomfortable around the family. You can practically see them counting down the minutes in their heads until they can leave.

I do find it interesting how Tori and Carlin are close but Michael, Erin and Alyssa only seem to have a cursory relationship with one another. I wonder if the kids had regular friendships growing up so the sisters weren't forced to have "relationships by default" the way the Duggar girls did.

I think they're definitely allowed to have at least some friends. They may be conservative enough that they aren't allowed to hit up the bars or mainstream concerts with their friends, but I get the sense they're totally allowed to have other kids over, go to their homes etc. since I imagine Gil and Kelly know many/most of the families in their small conservative community. I can't recall whose birthday it was -- but on their previous show, it was the birthday of one of the teen girls, and she had a party at home. Unlike the Duggars it wasn't an episode of -- OMG I love my family SO much, I don't even want any friends over except for a few other mega families. I recall it was a very "normal" teen party -- her teen siblings were there but so were a lot of other teen friends (and were invited without their parents or dozens of siblings). The next morning Gil was saying -- it's really hard to get everyone going when the teens have a party bc they all stay up too late.

I think Carlin and Tori have very similar personalities, but Michael, Alyssa, and Erin all had different interests and personalities so they weren't instant BFFs. Erin was always into music and wanting a fairytale romance -- so she went to college for music and courted Chad for a good long while. Alyssa seems the most pragmatic -- don't think she had much interest in college beyond the one semester Kelly wants every kid to try out -- so she was working at a flower shop; she ended up marrying a guy who lives further away, wants a life separate from her mega family, and has said that she doesn't have an interest in her own mega family. It seems like she just wants a normal conservative Christian life. And then there's Michael who seems the most reserved but seems to genuinely loves hanging out with her younger siblings and doing things for them.

I think the siblings do have genuine relationships with their siblings -- but with the ones they get along with the most, not necessarily the ones closest in age and gender. Before Erin's wedding, one of the Carlin/Tori/Josie trio kept breaking down about how Erin was going to be moving out -- including the morning of the wedding, when Erin was out in the church parking lot consoling her. Seems like one of Carlin/Tori feels that way about Michael.

• Love 3

I think both Brandon and Michael are quiet, reserved and very serious minded people. The kind of energy the Bates put out can be overwhelming to that kind of person. It seems to overwhelm Michael at times and she grew up with it. I think Brandon will get used to it even if he never fully engages on a Chad level.

I think this is also one of the reasons Jana and Michael get along so well. They are both quiet people who seem to look for what needs to be done and get to it without a fuss.

Is Michael the oldest girl? I don't know the lineup of these kids except for Zach.

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 4

Yep, Michael is the oldest girl.  Their birth order is Zach, Michael, Erin, Lawson, Nathan, Alyssa, Tori, Trace, Carlin, Josie, Katie, Jackson, Warden, Isaiah, Addallee, Ellie, Callie, Judson and Jeb.  I have trouble keeping track of everyone from Josie on down.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 2

I can't keep the middle trio of boys straight, but I thought the one boy who took the kids blackberry picking was such a sweetheart. He was so patient and encouraging towards his younger siblings.

I know the Bateses are just as nutty as the Duggars, but I don't think as much work and child rearing got dumped on the older girls the way it did with the J'Slaves. Michael, Erin and Alyssa don't have that barely concealed bitterness you see in Jana, Jessa and Jinger. I think Alyssa stays away because she likes her peace and quiet, not because she resents her family. The sibling/parent relationships seem much more normal.

• Love 3

I agree that it doesn't seem like the Bates girls did all the heavy lifting ala the Duggar girls. There are currently 4 Bates girls 18 or older, and only one is still at home. And there's been whispering about her (Tori) maybe having a beau. Contrast to the Duggar girls - 5 that are 18 and older, and only 2 have the left the roost. And we don't really hear of any plans for the future for Jana, Jinger, or Joy Anna - whereas we've heard of school and jobs and hobbies with the Bates girls. It really does seem like the latter are allowed to pursue things outside the family that interest them, and we always see Kelly in the thick of things at home. The little kids don't look at her like a pod person who has never acted that way either...just saying. 

• Love 3

Honestly, the entire family would drive me crazy if I were John or Brandon, so I don't blame them for keep them at arms' length. Nothing about them tells me that they are disrespectful to the family - they just want their space. I think Chad and Whitney genuinely love being around the family and maybe even as a way to impress Erin and Zach, they might have jumped headfirst into the family, but yeah, most people won't do that.

Michael's dress is not cute. I really loved one of the dresses she tried on last season and I think she did as well, but the price was too high for her.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 3