Type keyword(s) to search

Watch The First Minute Of The New X-Files

Hosting an "Intro to X Files" at my house for the past week or so. No mythology - just the hits - so far we have gone through 9 episodes, including Clyde Bruckman, Tooms, the circus freaks, Jose Chung and, of course - my favorite - Bambi the entomologist. Laving out "Home" because .... well, my sons are watching with me.... and just, yuk. Anyone want to nominate any others?

To Lorimac -

Paper Hearts (from season 4) is a huge favorite of mine. Just the mind fuck of it, causing Mulder to question his own childhood memories and whether or not his sister was actually abducted by aliens or if his brain made it up in order to deal with the sight of his sister being taken by just an average joe door-to-door vacuum salesman predator. I love how protective Scully is of Mulder in that episode, I love the heartbreak and uncertainty, the questions of it all, how it almost unravels everything we've known or believed about Mulder's sister's disappearance since day 1. Altering that information would alter the course of Mulder's entire life and all that he's focused on all these years.

I love the fairytale-like music and the creepy dream sequences involving his sister and the Alice in Wonderland book and the cloth hearts.

And the guy who plays John Lee Roche (Tom Noonan) is wonderful in his role. He's so smug in messing with Mulder's head, you just want to kill him. But at the same time, you know he's got you over a barrel because you want to know who those last 2 cloth hearts belong to, and if he dies, that info dies with him, and those 2 little girls (whether Mulder's sister or not) may never be found.

That's one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. Because it's not about a monster of the week, it's not conspiracy heavy. It's simply Mulder's childhood memories and whether or not they really happened the way he thinks. It's beautifully written by Vince Gilligan.

And the final scene where Scully promises that they'll find the final missing girl and Mulder just kind of half-laughs and looks up at her with these half-believing eyes and he says, "How?" it's just heartbreaking. One of David's finest performances, I think.

I really can't say enough good about that episode.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

Other non-mythology episodes I love:

Ice (oh yeah!)

Beyond the Sea (is this considered mythology? I think it's just stand-alone, right?)

Pusher

Quagmire (poor Queequeg)

Unruhe (awesomely creepy performance by Pruitt Taylor Vince)

Small Potatoes

Kill Switch (weird episode but I love Kristin Lehman as Invisigoth/Esther in this)

Monday (Groundhog Day copycat or not, it's still interesting)

Arcadia (just for the Mulder-Scully undercover playing a married couple amusement)

Milagro (not necessarily the greatest ep, but it's kind of dark and weird & has the awesome John Hawkes)

Je Souhaite (again, not the greatest ep, but I love Mulder trying to create an iron-clad perfect-world genie agreement)

Those are some of my non-mythology favorites, along with Clyde Bruckman and Humbug and Bambi and the others you list. *GRIN*

• Love 2

I have to admit, I'm a little weirdly sad, seeing the photographs of a new child Mulder and child Samantha. I know it's impossible to use the actors they used back then, because it's been YEARS and they're probably in their 20's or 30's by now. But to me Vanessa Morley with her pigtail braids and Marcus Turner (I think that's his name) will always be Young Samantha and Young Mulder.

I don't know who these others are. Imposters! ;)

Can someone refresh my memory as to what actually DID happen with Mulder's sister? I seem to remember something about CSM having her...maybe? I recall Samantha's little hand prints in a stone or something. And some adult woman who purported to be Samantha. Was that all a ruse?

Oh boy, Tooms... I started watching the X-files when it first aired and I was in high school, and after the first Tooms episode I realized I had to get my parents to watch with me, because it was too scary to watch alone!

For standalone eps, I also really like Eve from the first season (creepy twins!).

• Love 1

Not very excited about this to be honest.

Can someone refresh my memory as to what actually DID happen with Mulder's sister? I seem to remember something about CSM having her...maybe? I recall Samantha's little hand prints in a stone or something. And some adult woman who purported to be Samantha. Was that all a ruse?

Starlight. Season 7. Closure.

Hosting an "Intro to X Files" at my house for the past week or so. No mythology - just the hits - so far we have gone through 9 episodes, including Clyde Bruckman, Tooms, the circus freaks, Jose Chung and, of course - my favorite - Bambi the entomologist. Laving out "Home" because .... well, my sons are watching with me.... and just, yuk. Anyone want to nominate any others?

The Unnatural -- has some good humor and a good story

Arcadia -- M & S banter

Millennium -- a pretty good ep

• Love 1

Other non-mythology episodes I love:

Ice (oh yeah!)

Beyond the Sea (is this considered mythology? I think it's just stand-alone, right?)

Pusher

Quagmire (poor Queequeg)

Unruhe (awesomely creepy performance by Pruitt Taylor Vince)

Small Potatoes

Kill Switch (weird episode but I love Kristin Lehman as Invisigoth/Esther in this)

Monday (Groundhog Day copycat or not, it's still interesting)

Arcadia (just for the Mulder-Scully undercover playing a married couple amusement)

Milagro (not necessarily the greatest ep, but it's kind of dark and weird & has the awesome John Hawkes)

Je Souhaite (again, not the greatest ep, but I love Mulder trying to create an iron-clad perfect-world genie agreement)

Those are some of my non-mythology favorites, along with Clyde Bruckman and Humbug and Bambi and the others you list. *GRIN*

I had Beyond the Sea, Pusher and Small Pots on my still-to-go list, but I will add some of your suggestions - I was kind of on the fence re: Paper Hearts because mythology, but I think I need to add that one too.  It is funny listening to my sons and their friends talking about these - one knew the theme music but never knew where it came from, and another actually had a variation of the "TIOT" poster but again thought it was part of general pop culture. They talk about how you never really see the violence - and the huge phones. And they were tickled that Scully's idea of a fun night at home was cleaning her gun.

• Love 1

Looks decent. Good way for the show to recap and remind us of what happened during the regular series run, for those of you out there who never watched the series during the original run, or forgot some stuff.

Many of my rewatches tend to be the stand-alone episodes, so hopefully I won't be too bored or annoyed with the William and the Samantha and the Mulder-family Springer show thing.

But I am really looking forward to it!

Agree with most of the lists above on stand-alones. Darkness Falls is a really good stand-alone episode. Aubrey, Blood, 2Shy, Szygzy, Leonard Betts, How the Ghosts Stole Christmas, The Rain King, Agua Mala (yeah, yeah, I liked it), Field Trip and Hungry are fun/interesting ones too.

• Love 1

Wow, the pictures of Mulder and Samantha as kids are so distracting because of the different actors. 

And I see the voiceovers on this show will continue to suck; yay for tradition.

Not a very compelling opening, but I'll be parked in front of the television anyway.

• Love 2

"Bad Blood" and "Triangle"!

Oh man - totally forgot about these two. Bad Blood is one of the best ever. So much fun. Triangle is really good too. I stayed on the Queen Mary (where this episode was filmed) for a week, and was so excited to watch this episode, because I was like, "I was there!, Oh I remember that place! I so recognize that ballroom, OMG, there's the Bridge!". Even the hallway, because on the QM, it has such a noticable dip towards the centre of the ship, and you can see it in the episode.

but I'll be parked in front of the television anyway.

Yup. Me too!

• Love 2

They talk about how you never really see the violence - and the huge phones.

LOL. I don't think I'll ever forget those huge phones. I'm in the process of building a website for my web design business, and on my "contact me" page I created a banner for the top of the page that has kind of a comically (and basically) drawn "evolution of phones" going across the top, and one of the phones I created in Photoshop was based on Scully's gigantic phone. I HAD to include it. It's just too funny. So every time I add something to that page, I see that banner and have a little chuckle and think of The X-Files.

• Love 1

Well, it wouldn't be the X-Files without a monotone voiceover to kick things off, now would it?  I'm ok with it. It's only a minute, and it gets new people sort of on board with the whole deal quickly so we can move on to the story. 

Different young Mulder and Samantha don't bother me. There are two that I think of when I think of the characters, but they've been portrayed by so many different actors by now, that it's fine.

Bad Blood should be a given.  *GRIN*

If for nothing else than Scully's cream cheese freakout speech.  (Heee.) I know people who have that whole speech memorized.

Also? Mulder singing the theme from "Shaft," which is THE BEST.

• Love 5

But what about the unsolved mysteries of... Unsolved Mysteries?

I nominate Trevor. It's not one that really ever gets brought up as a great episode, but it's a very solid episode that doesn't use the "But if I don't kill people, I WILL DIE!!!" thing a bunch of other episodes do.

I was amused by seeing Rob from Hungry again, but who's the long-haired bug-eyed guy? Was that one of the brothers/sons/babydaddies/whatever from Home, or the sickness vampire from that terrible season eight episode?

• Love 2

But what about the unsolved mysteries of... Unsolved Mysteries?

I nominate Trevor. It's not one that really ever gets brought up as a great episode, but it's a very solid episode that doesn't use the "But if I don't kill people, I WILL DIE!!!" thing a bunch of other episodes do.

Just started watching Trevor! Agree it's a solid episode. Not great, but far from boring. Also: "Dear diary: Today my heart leapt when Agent Scully suggested spontaneous human combustion."

The 1 minute intro felt more like a preview (not included in the actual episode kind of preview) than the intro to new episodes. The production stills and new children kinda took me out of it. Still, I'm super excited. Haven't read any spoilers and I'm going into it with a positive outlook.

Die Hand, Die Verletzt will always be my favorite non-mythology episode. Darkness Falls is one of them as well.

I'm having an X-Files evening. Hell Money (definitely NOT a solid episode. I hadn't watched it in maybe 15 years but it was still boring) and Firewalker (which I think is alright, but the Shawnee Smithness of it definitely helps me personally - always loved her) before Trevor.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1

Beyond the Sea, Paper Hearts, Pusher, Tithonus, Monday, and Unruhe are all some of my favorite non-funny MOTW eps.

Fave funny MOTW eps are Clyde Bruckman, Syzygy, Bad Blood, Small Potatoes, Chinga, Rain King, How the Ghosts Stole Christmas, X-Cops.

• Love 2