Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, grisgris said:

Re: Today's episode -- "High Tea" on the Prairie

Also, hasn't Ree made those donut-muffins before? I swear she made a full muffin-sized version of them and said that she got the recipe from her high school French teacher.

I think you're right. Seems to me there was a whole "French" episode a while back where the full size version featured along with..... wait for it..... French Dip Sandwiches for dinner.

Paige seemed really uncomfortable with the drive and talk segment but then all her kids come across to me as extremely uncomfortable and fakey in front of the camera so I suppose that's nothing new.

My favorite parts continue to be the "for these recipes go to...." Those look the most natural of anything I've seen on this show.... except the ending bit where Paige whip creamed her mom in the face.

Sidenote: My parents would never ever put up with what this woman puts up with from her kids ON camera. From the stealing of her egg in the hole a few years back to whip cream on the nose. I get that it's probably scripted for television but it makes me really uncomfortable.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:02 PM, grisgris said:

Also, hasn't Ree made those donut-muffins before? I swear she made a full muffin-sized version of them and said that she got the recipe from her high school French teacher.

3 hours ago, SanLynn said:

I think you're right. Seems to me there was a whole "French" episode a while back where the full size version featured along with..... wait for it..... French Dip Sandwiches for dinner.

Yes, she has made these muffins before.  And so have I as the recipe is in the original Betty Crocker red and white checked cookbook from the '50s.   They are delicious, but I would put money on Ree getting the recipe there instead of her French teacher.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

My question is how is that an afternoon tea if they aren't having tea??  And they had no other beverage on the table.  Who could eat the veggie cream cheese finger sandwich or leek-ham quiche with HOT CHOCOLATE to wash it down??  Not even a glass of water (with her typical lemon slices) to be found.  I didn't see a single thing that they were eating that would be complimented by hot chocolate.  And her hot chocolate looked way too sweet for me.  Diabetes in a cup.

I totally agree and kept looking for  the damned tea.  Even poor Pawhuskans can buy a box of Lipton, for crying out loud.  I'm going out on a limb to bet that they could even find Bigelow teas, if they can find phyllo dough.  She's such an idiot.

I'm not sure why she decided to go triple decker with that thin, dry sandwich bread for the tea sandwiches.  Yuck, serious yuck.

And yeah, we've seen her make the doughnut muffins at least once before.  There is no way I would serve a doughnut rolled in cocoa powder to guests at a tea party.  It makes a colossal mess, and your guests are going to hate you when it crumbles all over their hands and clothes.

Her hot chocolate looked grossly sweet.  I'm not exaggerating when I say it would make me sick.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

My question is how is that an afternoon tea if they aren't having tea??  ....

I don't know much about Oklahoma but I have spent most of my life with Texans (sometimes in Texas, usually elsewhere).  The ones I know seldom drink "hot tea" in a cup, but are never without a glass of "tea" (which I call "iced tea").  Hard to believe that the same customs would not prevail next door in Oklahoma, so that she could at least serve tea in the iced form?  Hot chocolate sounds like a wretched accompaniment to the meal.

• Love 1

And, as always, she has no idea what she's talking about and cannot bother to do the research to get it right.

High Tea is typically an afternoon tea that has minimal components, generally bread and butter and tea, sometimes meat pies.  It was a lower class affair and derives the "high" designation because the peasants sat at tables in chairs to eat . Afternoon tea, served in salons with couches and lounging type chairs, was more upper crust (no pun intended) and  included small sandwiches, scones, and sweets.  

And ALL teas include, well, tea.  That's why they are called Teas, you idiot.  Not Hot Chocolates.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Qoass said:

Oh, Paige, please don't take after your mom when it comes to a vocabulary of twelve words.

"Are you excited?"

"I'm excited."

"I'm excited too."

I do like her kids and family, but dang they are all like watching paint dry.  LOL.  I probably wouldn't dislike her if she didn't have a tv show.  

• Love 2
On 7/16/2016 at 0:02 PM, grisgris said:

I kept picking up that there was some type of shout-out in today's show, but I wasn't sure quite what, other sledgehammer approach to reach out and connect with the "common folk." Enough of the "we're just lil' ol' slack-jawed, wide-eyed hicks from Oklahoma in NEW YORK CITY!"  All that was missing were the guys from the Pace salsa commercial.

C'mon. GMAFB. Ree may not be a frequent flyer to Manhattan, but she's no stranger either. I know she must have to go to the Big Apple for meet with her publisher as well as appear on FN specials. Hasn't she also been a guest on some of the morning news/talk shows to shill her latest cookbook or Wally World merchandise?

All of the food looked meh. but as Ree said, she couldn't find none of them fancy-dancy ingredients in backwoods Pawhuska, so she had to improvise. Not that embellishments are going to vastly improve the flavor of deli ham, but the one-two punch of hot sauce and pepper jack cheese was going to erase every bit of essence as well as clash with the leeks in the mini-quiche filling. But in her huffily-delivered defense, Ree rubber-stamped the substitutions with, "We're country girls. We'll eat anything." Now we know.

The lacy chocolate thingie looked like something Aunt Sandy would have made except she would have hers out of brown hot glue and used them on the tablescape. Chocolately-sweet hot chocolate didn't look or sound like a good accompaniment to that spread.

I suppose it was a nice mother-daughter event, but what are they going to do with the leftovers? What's not eaten will get soggy, and as they pointed out, the menfolk wouldn't touch them offerins' with a 10-foot pole.

The awkward filler conversation at the end of the show was cringeworthy. Why were Paige's THs while driving the truck so much better?

I get the feeling that once Paige is freed from the shackles of ranch life that there's no turning back and we'll never see her again. Go, Paige, go!

I don't get this.  Granted I have a good husband but he will eat anything I make.  Anything.  Now I don't go out of my way to make things he doesn't like (bell peppers and lima beans are his entire list of verboten foods) but as long as he doesn't have to cook it he's good.  There wasn't anything on that menu that should scare a tough cowboy like Ladd unless he's a big wienie.  

I don't think I would like these people in real life.  I think its best not to perpetuate stereotypes about what REAL men and REAL women eat and is SOOO old fashioned.  If you are wondering why I watch this show, it is simply a WTF watch.  That and I try to figure out how many lbs of butter each episode uses.  I just can't quit it.  Like a certain convention this week.  I just could NOT help myself.  

On 7/17/2016 at 2:58 PM, tabloidlover said:

Yes, she has made these muffins before.  And so have I as the recipe is in the original Betty Crocker red and white checked cookbook from the '50s.   They are delicious, but I would put money on Ree getting the recipe there instead of her French teacher.

Really???!!!  I just got my moms copy from when she got married.  I know what I am doing this weekend!

• Love 4
(edited)

This morning was a repeat of the "Dorm Room Dining" episode and after a 2nd watch I have to wonder how big dorm rooms are these days.

I'm an old fogey at this point but there is no way my dorm room would have had enough room for a waffle maker, teakettle and a microwave much less the cupboard needed to hold all the ingredients or a big enough fridge (with a freezer for the pizza dough) to hold all the crap she was putting in her simple dishes.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, SanLynn said:

This morning was a repeat of the "Dorm Room Dining" episode and after a 2nd watch I have to wonder how big dorm rooms are these days.

I'm an old fogey at this point but there is no way my dorm room would have had enough room for a waffle maker, teakettle and a microwave much less the cupboard needed to hold all the ingredients or a big enough fridge (with a freezer for the pizza dough) to hold all the crap she was putting in her simple dishes.

I'm an old fogey too and not only was our room too small, but I had zero interest in cooking at 18 years old, especially when the dorm cafeteria was right down the hall.  These days I might have gotten a microwave, but that's about it.

• Love 3

You know, part of the whole "too manly" meme for ages has been a chest beating exercise to hide whatever socially imposed inadequacies those chestbeaters felt they had.  Since it is his wife that seems to doth protest too much?  All I can think is that even a Cheese Doodle makes Ladd feel inadequate. 

I had a nice sized room with a fridge and a counter top Breville oven (I chose that over the microwave since I don't like reheated food in microwaves and my mother found this cool pot with a lid that boiled water in the oven real fast which was the one thing a microwave had in its favor).  But I also had limited outlets and even though my freshman dorm was rather new, it still was not meant to have twenty appliances per room and more than once someone would try to dry their hair and microwave popcorn all the while they had their pc, fridge tv dvr, the fishtank they were allowed, and every mobile device charging at the same time.  Taking the 'pow' out of 'power'. 

Plus the redundancy (which coming from this woman, not a surprise).  If you have a microwave chances are if you want waffles your not letting go of your eggos.  The oddsof whipping up waffle batter is a nice idea but pretty slim to none I bet, living in a dorm room and being an 18 year old that doesn't want to waddle in delayed gratification.    I suspect she went to the portable appliances section at Wal-mart to scope out her ideas for the show and just picked a few beyond the microwave. 

Don't get me wrong.  When I was a freshman, if someone down the hall was whipping up freshly made waffles on hangover Sunday, that person would have been the most popular person.  For as long as the batter held out and depending on the quality of the butter and maple syrup (throw in some locally sourced link smoke sausage and I'd probably have done her laundry for her if she wanted).  But I just thought it was a silly premise and completely unrealistic.  It would have made more sense for her to just to another make, pack and haul it show with her making her daughter's favorites to have the week after mom and dad did their parent's day visit to school that semester.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm just waiting for the day when Ree tires of talking to a camera and wants a real, live audience, so she takes off for Texas and forces her way into becoming cook at Alex's sorority.  I predict that once the word gets out, half the sorority will quit living in the house, and the other half will scope out the nearest burger joints. God only knows what will happen when the Greek ladies get sick of hearing "Hi, guys!" every time they pass the kitchen door.

Ree will insist on joining the coeds for every meal and will entertain them endlessly with stories of cow patties and the castration of calves, two of her favorite stories about life on the ranch.  When Alex excuses herself and leaves the table, with the rest of the room following suit, Ree may finally get the hint that a life on camera isn't so bad, after all.  Back at the ranch, Ladd will console Ree with "You know you done a good job, Ree -- a good job."

"Oh, Ladd, why do you always say the same old thing?  Can't you say something else for a change?"

"Well, Ree," Ladd responds.  "Why do you make the same old meals?  Can't you cook something else for a change?  One more meal filled with hot sauce -- even for breakfast -- an' I'm gonna barf a trough full of the hottest upchuck known to man!  An' while you're at it, ditch your mama's recipes and every Tex-Mex recipe you own, and stash 'em in the Man Cave.  They'll make good starter for the next time we need to torch another barn."

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3

There was an episode of "Chopped" last spring with a dorm room/resident dining hall/frat house theme. Even the nerdy engineering student who went out after the first round came up with much more creative and tasty-looking ideas than Ree did.

• Love 2

I saw the re-run of the 7 can soup today. The horror of that slop episode is always going to be shocking no matter how many times I see it. I'll never be able to get over it. The liquid from the cans of beans!  The cheese!  My god.....

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lura said:

I'm just waiting for the day when Ree tires of talking to a camera and wants a real, live audience, so she takes off for Texas and forces her way into becoming cook at Alex's sorority.  I predict that once the word gets out, half the sorority will quit living in the house, and the other half will scope out the nearest burger joints. God only knows what will happen when the Greek ladies get sick of hearing "Hi, guys!" every time they pass the kitchen door.

Ree will insist on joining the coeds for every meal and will entertain them endlessly with stories of cow patties and the castration of calves, two of her favorite stories about life on the ranch.  When Alex excuses herself and leaves the table, with the rest of the room following suit, Ree may finally get the hint that a life on camera isn't so bad, after all.  Back at the ranch, Ladd will console Ree with "You know you done a good job, Ree -- a good job."

"Oh, Ladd, why do you always say the same old thing?  Can't you say something else for a change?"

"Well, Ree," Ladd responds.  "Why do you make the same old meals?  Can't you cook something else for a change?  One more meal filled with hot sauce -- even for breakfast -- an' I'm gonna barf a trough full of the hottest upchuck known to man!  An' while you're at it, ditch your mama's recipes and every Tex-Mex recipe you own, and stash 'em in the Man Cave.  They'll make good starter for the next time we need to torch another barn."

I doubt it. Once "The Merc" deli opens i'm sure Alex will be getting fresh packages like crazy! lol

That soup is so beyond gross.

• Love 1
On 7/23/2016 at 1:04 PM, SanLynn said:

Oh, I'm so glad I missed it, because that episode in particular makes me homicidal.  Well, let's just say a little more insane than I usually am when I watch Ree. Like many, I've lived in a dorm and have moved kids in and out of several, and even with all the space in the world (and the largest dorm-sized fridge in the world) there is just no way to clean the mess that a bunch of drunk freshman would create making pizzas in a waffle iron.  And then there is the little matter of groceries, because it's so easy for dorm-living students to trek to the grocery store to buy that whack-a-biscuit dough don't ya know?  And the cost of it all...

I think I say this a lot, but it bears repeating - she is so stupid.  She apparently thinks her viewers are, too.

• Love 5
On 7/23/2016 at 3:43 PM, Lura said:

They wouldn't eat that stuff.   Unless she does courses on pairings with jagermeister, cheap beer and weed.  

• Love 1
Just now, peacheslatour said:

And Jello shots.

Can't believe I forgot the old jello shots.  If that were a college in CA it would have to be vegan jello shots.  Which by the way, vegan jello is pretty good (some other brand, not Jello).

• Love 1
(edited)

Hey FN just bring Claire Robinson back instead of letting Ree bastardize the 5 ingredient meal idea. Watching that repeat today just made me so angry.

I know we've discussed this one before but not including oil, spices, herbs, vinegar and condiments (condiments?!) in the 5 ingredients is just annoying.

Plus her mugging to the camera with "yes it can be done" made me throw something. I'd wager almost anyone could come up with a 5 ingredient dish when they don't have to include garlic, butter and spices in their list!

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, SanLynn said:

Hey FN just bring Claire Robinson back instead of letting Ree bastardize the 5 ingredient meal idea. Watching that repeat today just made me so angry.

I know we've discussed this one before but not including oil, spices, herbs, vinegar and condiments (condiments?!) in the 5 ingredients is just annoying.

Plus her mugging to the camera with "yes it can be done" made me throw something. I'd wager almost anyone could come up with a 5 ingredient dish when they don't have to include garlic, butter and spices in their list!

Yes it can be done!

After puttering around in my kitchen a few days, I've created a 5 ingredient/16 minute meal from an old family recipe:

2 slices rye bread

1/4 lb. thinly sliced ham

4 slices Swiss cheese (counts as one ingredient!)

Lots of Boar's Head deli mustard

Try it...let me know if you like it!  Thinking of starting a cooking blog and ultimately, a cookbook.

Edited by Albino
  • Love 15
30 minutes ago, anneofcleves said:

Sounds kind of highfalutin, Albino.  Cowboys don't like that fancy mustard!  Could I substitute ketchup?

Cowboys like Hot sauce!  So the bread meat cheese and hot sauce is 4 ingredients so that leaves room for jalapeño slices as the 5th ingredient!  That's something to satisfy those ranch hands after a long day working cattle!  And not 7 pots and pans to clean up!  

Oh go ahead Ree make it as a panini for the ladies. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, novhappy said:

Cowboys like Hot sauce!  So the bread meat cheese and hot sauce is 4 ingredients so that leaves room for jalapeño slices as the 5th ingredient!  That's something to satisfy those ranch hands after a long day working cattle!  And not 7 pots and pans to clean up!  

Good point.  I should probably make a kids' version too.  (Especially for B-man).

Maybe substitute M&Ms for the Swiss cheese and swap out the mustard for Nutella?

• Love 5
(edited)

I know it would add a few more steps, and about 8,000 calories, but I really think Ree (being the professional she is) would have dipped that fancy sandwich in an egg wash, dredged it in flour, then dip it in another egg wash, dredge it in crushed Cap'n Crunch (no berries - gross!) and then pan fry it in macadamia oil.  Then serve it up with a hearty dipping sauce made of mayonnaise, cream cheese, sour cream, ranch dressing, sriracha, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, wasabi powder, and chiffonade of fresh basil.  

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, Albino said:

Yes it can be done!

After puttering around in my kitchen a few days, I've created a 5 ingredient/16 minute meal from an old family recipe:

2 slices rye bread

Try it...let me know if you like it!  Thinking of starting a cooking blog and ultimately, a cookbook.

15 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

Sounds kind of highfalutin, Albino.  Cowboys don't like that fancy mustard!  Could I substitute ketchup?

17 minutes ago, grisgris said:

LOL! Epic fail, Albino. You forgot that everything is better with pepper jack cheese! Swiss is too exotic for cowboys.

I believe rye bread is too exotic for cowboys,  not to mention they probably don't sell it at her local grocery store in BFE  <eyeroll>  I would suggest hamburger buns instead so as to man it up. 

• Love 3

First off I think that should be yellow mustard, but beyond that this dish is sadly lacking in butter - so slather it on all sides of the bread and fry dem dogies up.  A ham and cheese sandwich and grilled cheese combined!  So original and outrageous.

• Love 4

But.... but... none of those suggestions come out of a can.  How can it be a complete recipe without something from a can?

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 2
On 7/31/2016 at 11:29 AM, tabloidlover said:

I believe rye bread is too exotic for cowboys,  not to mention they probably don't sell it at her local grocery store in BFE  <eyeroll>  I would suggest hamburger buns instead so as to man it up. 

Pumpernickel would blow their minds! lol

Sorry, I am so confused. I lived in a dorm a million years ago and went to the cafeteria which was included at the Junior College, and then later at the University before moving off campus. 

But isn't Ree's daughter in a sorority - with meals, oh -  and a kitchen already there?

• Love 1
On 7/30/2016 at 7:52 PM, Albino said:

Yes it can be done!

2 slices rye bread

Remove rye bread and insert 1 piece of flat bread (because she's hip y'all)

deep fry flat bread in vat of melted butter

take aforementioned pepperjack cheese and pulse in food processor with one bar of full fat cream cheese

Spread out 1/4 pound of sliced ham to make one large layer.  The spread the cheese mixture evenly over the ham

fold the ham up until it is the size of your flat bread. 

place ham cheese blanket on flatbread.  Poor hot melted butter over it until the cheese starts to melt or your heart seizes, whichever comes first.

serve

for a vaginally friendly serving, place one small leaf of argula on top

• Love 2

Oh, dear ... New season, nothing's changed.

I really never noticed how much Ree sucks up to her FIL until she pointed it out today that she "always tries to score brownie (erm, lemon pie) points with Chuck." WHY? The stilted doorway conversation with him and her fake laugh/demeanor brought it home. I laughed when Ree presented the pie and he replied that he was cutting back on sugar.* LOL! Me thinks that the PILs maybe didn't like/approve of Ree as a choice of a lifemate for Laddie?  ENquiring minds want to know.

I swore the boxing coach said that Bryce has "protential" in the ring. That and the other coach who said something along the lines of "it ain't fun if you ain't havin' fun." Sounded like he took a few too many to the head.  And I'd rather watch more commercials than Bryce and Todd doing their worst "Rocky" imitations.

I get better results from cookies making the recipe on the back of the package of Bob's museli.

I guess oregano and Parmesan cheese makes anything Italian.  Who knew?

*Next time, Ree, show up with a carton of Marlboro reds and a bloody ribeye and I'll bet ol' gramps will actually invite you inside the door.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, grisgris said:

And I'd rather watch more commercials than Bryce and Todd doing their worst "Rocky" imitations.

But...but...B-man is her favorite!

I'm sure the other 3 kids appreciated her saying that on national TV

1 hour ago, grisgris said:

I guess oregano and Parmesan cheese makes anything Italian.  Who knew?

Well, duh, Ree does, gris gris.  That's why we watch the guru, so that we can be enlightened in all the ways of fancy cooking.  Or at least that's why I do.  I realize others may watch for a host of other reasons like, you know, hair and fashion inspiration.

But seriously, yeah, what a dull and uninspiring show.  The lemon meringue pie made with a Pecan Sandies cookie crust sounds utterly awful to me.  Pecan Sandies with lemon curd?  No thanks.

The rest of it I pretty much zoned out on.  Kids boxing?  Don't care.  Chocolate chip cookies?  I'm good with the recipe on the back of the bag.  And thick spaghetti sauce rebranded as a sloppy joe?  Clever.  <yawn>

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Albino said:

But...but...B-man is her favorite!

Good thing she likes him because she'll be wiping the drool off of his chin and changing his diapers when he sends up with the residual effects of the head injuries suffered by boxers.  That's the absolute worst sport of kids - or adults, for that matter.  Repeated blows to the head are a recipe for early onset dementia among other things.

Guess she must not like him all that much.

• Love 2

I see that Paula Deen is now offering a menu program for $$.....i'm waiting for Rie Rie to come up with the same idea...

Multiple 7 can recipes for everyone.....oh and homemade ranch recipes!

• Love 1

As if this show wasn't enough of a vanity project now she is upping the amount of time we have to watch her kids. And in some lessons not even ranch work!  

Watching the ranch work was at least relevant to the "plot".   The hub and kids are out physically laboring away, miles and miles from civilization while our Pioneer Women makes homey fattening food to nourish their empty stomachs and keep the whole enterprise working. 

kids being driven to some sports lessons LIKE EVERY OTHER KID IN AMERICA is off brand and off message and not interesting. At All

• Love 3
1 hour ago, novhappy said:

Kids being driven to some sports lessons LIKE EVERY OTHER KID IN AMERICA is off brand and off message and not interesting. At All

Yes but B-man and Todd had ethnic friends!  That's a first. 

Edited by Albino
  • Love 1

Yes but B-man and Todd had ethnic friends!  That's a first. 

PLEASE tell me she's not going to start usurping ethnic recipes and dumping unspeakable condiments into them.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

PLEASE tell me she's not going to start usurping ethnic recipes and dumping unspeakable condiments into them.

What do we think Ree's version of a Kwanzaa cake would include?

• Love 1