Type keyword(s) to search

Sisters (2015)

purplemouth
  • Start Topic

Saw this over the weekend and have been waiting impatiently for it since it started filming. I'm a huge Tina fan, slightly less huge Amy fan and love Paula Pell who wrote it, so I was going to love it no matter what, but it was even funnier than I was expecting.

It's pretty raunchy, but smart raunchy. I thought Tina was great at playing the "bad" sister. She was indeed brassy!

• Love 3

I saw this this morning, and I liked it.  I even laughed out loud at several parts, and it cracked me up that the parents are the same parents as in the TV show Life In Pieces.  Yes, please, to more James Brolin and Dianne Wiest!

• Love 2

I can't wait to see this - Tina and Amy are 2 of my favorite comedic actors/writers.

CofCinci, on 27 Dec 2015 - 9:26 PM, said:

Two new sides --- that makes a whole new face. Boy, did she have some major work done.

She looks the same to me in the previews?  Just very different hair and makeup than I'm used to seeing on her.

• Love 4

I can't wait to see this - Tina and Amy are 2 of my favorite comedic actors/writers.

She looks the same to me in the previews?  Just very different hair and makeup than I'm used to seeing on her.

I was going to say, her scar is still visible and I can't imagine she'd have work done that didn't deal with it. And she's always been pretty vocal about not being a fan of plastic surgery.

Just a different look for her. For starters, no glasses.

Well, I've seen this 3 times and I'm headed to the theater in an hour for the fourth. It is a great movie, but, being such a big fan of Amy and Tina, all of my friends expected to see it with me. Which made for several trips. I am starting to memorize the dance sequence.

Upon the third viewing, I noticed how funny Tina is when she is trying to get the party hype "Mama got you." 

Amy's best line is after someone says "it's been inside of you the whole time" she goes: "Like shingles yo!"

My girl Maya overacted. I wish they toned her down 2% so I could laugh without feeling dumb. Oh, and Bobby Moynihan's character should have had about 10 less minutes of screen time.

Go see this movie if you haven't! It's so funny and no one poops or throws up on anyone else! (A rarity in R-rated comedies these days)

• Love 5

Agreed about Maya. She was ALMOST there, but she couldn't quite toe the line between real person and caricature. Still, I really liked how her reaction to her (from her perspective) Mean Girl was to blather on about how successful she is. That felt very realistic.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

This was hilarious. Tina and Amy are always great together, but I'm glad Tina got to let her freak flag fly as the crazy one.

I wish we got another scene with the love interest's dog. Mashed Potatoes is a funny name for a lab.

• Love 1

Absolutely loved this movie. My 17 year old wanted to see it. So did I but I forgot about it until she mentioned it again yesterday. Agree about Bobby (less time) and Maya (too drama) but there are always those types in every bunch right? I like the parents better here than "Life In Pieces". I kept thinking James was Marky Mark with makeup, until I just looked it up lol. I'd love to see it again but it's out of my area and plays just once a day. I wish I stumbled upon this movie sooner. I will probably buy it on BluRay so I can watch on a whim. Edit- and what up with Heather M as Maya's friend? Isn't see at least a generation younger than the others?

Edited by Readalot

Absolutely loved this movie. My 17 year old wanted to see it. So did I but I forgot about it until she mentioned it again yesterday. Agree about Bobby (less time) and Maya (too drama) but there are always those types in every bunch right? I like the parents better here than "Life In Pieces". I kept thinking James was Marky Mark with makeup, until I just looked it up lol. I'd love to see it again but it's out of my area and plays just once a day. I wish I stumbled upon this movie sooner. I will probably buy it on BluRay so I can watch on a whim. Edit- and what up with Heather M as Maya's friend? Isn't see at least a generation younger than the others?

Yeah, she's a good 10 years younger than Tina Fey. Kate McKinnon was also too young to be believable as former classmates, but you barely saw her in there. Other than them, everybody looked believebly in their early-to-mid 40's.

There's actually a joke in the movie Trainwreck about how Jon Cena looks like Mark Wahlberg.

On their wall, there's a picture of a guy with short hair and wearing a leather jacket...I can't tell if that was a teen idol from the 80's, or just a model. He was cute, but I couldn't place him. When I saw the movie a second time, I also noticed that there was a Debbie Gibson poster right next to the Xanadu one. This really was a loveletter to Gen X childhoods. LOL.

I liked the gentle nostalgia for Gen Xers throughout the film.

*Gen X-er raises hand in agreement*

I finally saw this today and laughed loudly when Jon Cena said his safe word was "keep going" - which would have been fine were I not in a clinic, watching on a tiny screen with headphones, with other patients. No matter.  

Funny but light, with lots of good cameos (Renee Elise Goldsberry/Angelica Schuyler, I'm looking at you). A fun watch.

On 1/23/2016 at 9:01 AM, methodwriter85 said:

On their wall, there's a picture of a guy with short hair and wearing a leather jacket...I can't tell if that was a teen idol from the 80's, or just a model. He was cute, but I couldn't place him.

Amy kissed a poster of Michael J Fox -- is that the one you were thinking of? Short hair, but no leather jacket.