Type keyword(s) to search

S24: One World

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Alicia and Colton because they're just natural assholes, and almost everyone else because they were opportunistic assholes and it worked to their advantage to have someone who was so beaten down she'd do what she was told. I didn't think we'd ever see a worse group of people on this show than One World, but then the cast of Worlds Apart came along to prove me wrong.

• Love 3

Alicia and Colton because they're just natural assholes, and almost everyone else because they were opportunistic assholes and it worked to their advantage to have someone who was so beaten down she'd do what she was told. I didn't think we'd ever see a worse group of people on this show than One World, but then the cast of Worlds Apart came along to prove me wrong.

I guess.  At least the Final Three seemed to be friendly towards her, if they never actually respected her game.  

Alicia is lucky Colton was there.  Otherwise she would have looked like the biggest jerk on the season.

• Love 3

They're airing this season on DTour channel. I tuned in just after they switched up the tribes. Why is everyone so hateful toward Christina?

Colton is a disgusting POS. I don't feel bad he was pulled out of the game. Karma, asshole.

• Love 5

I couldn't figure out why everyone was so mean to Christina either. The way Colton and Alicia treated her was straight up bullying. I was appalled to learn that Alicia was a special education teacher. And she even compared talking to someone like Christina to talking to her students! She said something like, "I just tell them what to do and they do it". It was disgusting and I didn't buy her, "It was the heat of the game" excuse. No.

She and Colton were two of the most vile people I've ever seen on this show. And you could tell they just banded together because they were both mega bitches. As soon as Colton was sick, Alicia was only thinking about herself, and how his leaving would effect HER game. It was interesting that Christina, whom he had been so nasty to, was the one by his side, trying to make sure he was okay. 

• Love 3

It was interesting that Christina, whom he had been so nasty to, was the one by his side, trying to make sure he was okay. 

I think that's partly because Christina was a decent person and partly Stockholm Syndrome. At one point she did a TH where she said of Alicia, "I love that girl!" (Audience: "Uh ... why.") Alicia and Colton were horrible to her, but at least they acknowledged her existence, so I kind of get it; if you have two people who are treating you like absolute shit and a bunch of other people who are aware of it and doing nothing but watching it happen, the fastest route to making it stop is to make friends with the people who are actively being assholes rather than just passively. Colton and Alicia were the worst of that season, but in general, I thought everyone was pretty terrible.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 5

Came upon this, in Virginia Woolf, and thought of Kim: "Always at the highest point of any art there comes a moment when everything seems in a conspiracy to help the artist, and his achievement becomes a natural felicity on his part of which he seems, to a later age, half-unconscious."

• Love 6

I'm just finishing up a rewatch of this season, because Chelsea is on a Southern Charm and I really didn't remember her from One World. Kim, Colton, Troy, and Tarzan were the only ones I really remembered. Most of the cast was fairly awful, but I still think Kim played this game amazingly well and love her victory.

• Love 3

I'm watching this season now. For all of you (and me) who don't like seeing the men's packages through their underwear, well, Tarzan on season 24 set the precedent with his skimpy bright blue Speedos.

Colton was horrible to watch. First episode I thought, he's not so bad. Then Episode 2 he showed his bigot true colors. Couldn't help wondering if he had a pointy hooded bedsheet with eyeholes stuffed back in the corner of his closet back home. Alicia's pretty rotten, too.

I'm on the first full merge episode. And  it's another exciting action-packed stand still one one spot immunity challenge.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

For all of you (and me) who don't like seeing the men's packages through their underwear, well, Tarzan on season 24 set the precedent with his skimpy bright blue Speedos.

Followed up by Troy on his return in Game Changers in bright green.

• Love 1

I just rewatched this season and wow, I remember Colton was awful but I didn't remember just HOW awful. Karma indeed.

Kim did well in a season of mostly idiotic followers but over ten seasons later there's no way she could have won it now with the way the game has evolved. I kinda miss the seasons where people make solid alliances and it's nice to see that awarded at the end rather than random blindside after blindside for the sake of it. But at the same time I couldn't believe how dumb these people were keeping her around.

Kat was a special character. I couldn't believe how airheaded she was at times but she had a lot of heart and her appendix joke was one of the best laughs I've gotten out of survivor and so was her exit comment about getting voted off before freaking Tarzan and Christina. Her final speech made me cry and I'm sure solidified Kim's win. If she only did it to ''redeem herself'' well it worked because the silly 22 year-old was a bigger man than some of those other fella's.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, CloudySky said:

Kat was a special character. I couldn't believe how airheaded she was at times but she had a lot of heart and her appendix joke was one of the best laughs I've gotten out of survivor

She wasn't joking.  She really didn't know where it was.

• Love 1

Just finished watching this one. Kim is, indeed, the greatest player to play Survivor. That includes Boston Rob, and I'm an unabashed fan. Kim has charisma, intelligence, and athleticism. She put herself in the right spot, time after time. The best winners do.

I won't speak of Colton. If Alicia was my son's teacher, I'd move heaven and earth to get her fired. Kat was indeed special. Her TC speech instantly rewrote every thought I ever had about her and her naivety. Good for her.

I think a lot of people think this season is bad because it's boring. It's definitely a textbook Pagonging. I happen to like those. To me--and what follows is a bit of rambling--they indicate that someone has such a hold over the rest of their tribe that everything goes to plan (or, if something gets messed up, then plans get quickly adjusted). Their hold is so strong, we think of all of the other players as sheep. That's an insult to the other players, of course. It should instead be praise for the Kim/Rob/masterful player.

Amy almost had it in Vanuatu. Rodney almost had it in WA. Rob had it in RI. Tom and Ian had it in Palau. Parvarti/Cirie had it in FvF. All of these (almost) systematically plowed through the opposition. If it hadn't been for Chris (or Twila) in Vanuatu, or Mike in WA, we definitely would think of Amy and Rodney differently. I'm sure there are other examples I'm forgetting.

All hail Kim Spradlin. 

• Love 7

Finished this for the first time (the last season I hadn’t seen). I have it ranked 24/36, I don’t know why it gets so much hate. Maybe it’s more fun when binge watching then it would be week to week. I didn’t really think of it as a pagonging like RI or SP where one tribe knows they’re toast, Troy, Mike, and Jay really thought they were aligned with the girls and Kat and Alicia got blindsided so I didn’t find it so predictable. It’s not a season with a lot of people I’m dying to see play again but I wouldn’t mind seeing Jonas, Chelsea, or Sabrina. 

• Love 2

Now that S40 has been officially revealed, including the entire cast, I can talk about the rewatch project I'm doing until February.  My mother (my usual Survivor watching partner) and I are watching just the finales of as many seasons as possible in order to refresh ourselves on who the winners are and how they won before.  We're doing a somewhat random order, as I'm having my mother look at a picture of the cast, and select someone she doesn't exactly recognize or remember, and we go with that one.  We actually started last week, and we went with this season because my mother thought Kim looked familiar, but wasn't totally sure who she was.

First off, I made a running gag during our watch of "Remember when Survivor did that?" when certain things happened; like the recap of the season, the opening credits with full cast intro, Rites of Passage (aka the Walk of Dead Survivors), and individual statements/questions during FTC.

This season was actually a great start to this project, because the F5TC was a perfect microcosm to show how Kim won.  She knew at that TC exactly where every vote was going.  She'd won the IC, but was still the swing vote between two factions; Sabrina and Chelsea on one side, and Alicia and Christina on the other.  Just like the rest of her game, everyone thought she was with them until the moment they got blindsided and/or voted out.  The interesting part is that she chose honor over reason, and kept her actual closest allies versus two players that would seem to have been more beatable (the obnoxious Alicia and lackluster Christina).

What probably saved Kim was her owning her entire game during FTC.  She denied nothing, saying every vote she made was purely strategic and nothing personal against anyone.  For example, telling Leif when he asked her why he voted off was that he was a wild card and that she was never sure if she could count on his vote.  That, and Chelsea gave credit of half of her game to Kim in her opening statement.  (Never do that.)

Kim's game is a great demonstration of almost absolute control over the game.  Which is remarkable for a first-time player.  But she was up against other first-timers as well, including several idiotic men (seriously, the whole "giving up tribal immunity" thing because KKKolton wanted to vote out the one black man in the game, and the rest going along with it because Sabrina had given him a Hidden Idol is actually the dumbest move in Survivor history.)  So it will be interesting to see how she copes in the upcoming all-winner season.

• Love 4