Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Ka Makau Kaa Kaua (The Sweet Science)

• Start Topic

In one of the sneak peeks for the episode, McGarrett name-checks Randy Couture when arguing with Danno about whether MMA is superior to boxing. So we have Randy Couture existing as an MMA fighter in 5-0's universe. But in two encounters with Jason Duclair the serial arsonist McGarrett never mentioned how much he resembles Randy Couture. I mean those suckers are identical, right down to the cauliflower ears!

• Love 1

Well, I hope it's not considered a breach of etiquette here to post twice in a row like it was at TWOP but since no one else wants a piece of this weaksauce winter finale I feel obligated.

I appreciate that Abby is starting to raise an eyebrow at 5-0's creative interpretation of "means and immunity". Steve was basically doing a high-speed waterboarding on a suspect and that is something that a real cop should object to rather than giggling about it and promising not to take it home with her.

Adam has less than 24 hours before he has to give himself up and report to prison. He chooses to go to a Buddhist temple. To each their own but if I had one day of liberty left I think I'd spend it worshiping at the temple of Kono myself.

Then again, maybe Adam isn't worried because he knows if he turns around and lets loose with a good fart the gates of Halawa will open for him. At least that's how they've worked for everyone else who has ever wanted to get out of there.

The boxing versus MMA argument had absolutely no nuance to it. Danno's reasons why boxing is superior? It's civilized, it's "the sweet science" and it requires patience. McGarrett doesn't even get to offer a counterargument beyond name-checking Randy Couture and his fast victory. There could have been a good argument there (say for example McGarrett explaining to Danno that there is no punch that will get him out of a rear naked choke) but since this is the boxing episode MMA just got dissed.

Gabriel makes a deal with the Yakuza and then immediately betrays them and assassinates their leader? Okay... I am hoping the show doesn't sweep this under the rug and we end up having a massive gang war that 5-0 gets caught in the middle of. The other gangs should be retaliating as well.

The bad guys target the local boxer's brother because they want his security pass. They offered him what, $50k for it? And then they murder him when he says no? An event like that would require a lot of people wearing staff badges. I am sure they could have bought a pile of them for that money if they had approached people who didn't have a personal connection to the main event!

• Love 4

Happy Hannukah! It is actually the 6th night. But I would have expected Max, with his pedantic attention to detail, to point out it's actually a hannukiah and not a menorah. 9 branches vs 7, if you were wondering.

The actual story? Eh, I don't find boxing interesting so I wasn't paying much attention. So very sick of Gabriel-as-supervillian. Hey writers, We. Don't. Care. At least we don't have to watch Kono and Adam being angsty and stupid anymore. Although wouldn't a cop with a jailbird husband be, oh, just a slight problem?

Maybe the actor who plays Gabriel is really a member of the Yakuza and has threatened the entirety of TPtB to make him a star or else. Either that or the writers and producers of this show have vastly overestimated my interest in Gabriel.

Do you really just have your wife drop you off at the front gate of a prison?

How long before Adam meets some of good ol' Gabriel's pals and becomes beholden to him for something? Forcing Kono to do something to help Gabriel or else good-bye hubby?

In the scene where Chin tells Adam to take care of himself and he would take care of Kono, was I the only one disappointed that Kono did not say that she was quite capable of taking care of herself, thankyouverymuch?

• Love 2

Maybe the actor who plays Gabriel is really a member of the Yakuza and has threatened the entirety of TPtB to make him a star or else. Either that or the writers and producers of this show have vastly overestimated my interest in Gabriel.

Do you really just have your wife drop you off at the front gate of a prison?

How long before Adam meets some of good ol' Gabriel's pals and becomes beholden to him for something? Forcing Kono to do something to help Gabriel or else good-bye hubby?

In the scene where Chin tells Adam to take care of himself and he would take care of Kono, was I the only one disappointed that Kono did not say that she was quite capable of taking care of herself, thankyouverymuch?

All of this.

Let's hope Steve and his magical manipulation of people can get Adam some protection inside.

They couldn't have flashed on the Gov at the fight to give me a little Richard T. Jones??

I'm sure I've said this before - and I preface it with I watch all of the crime shows so I shouldn't be surprised - but the murder rate on this rivals 24. At least (if there can be an "at least") when NCISLA shoots people all day and night, they are shooting the bad guys (mostly). I think out of all the crime dramas I watch, this one has the biggest collateral damage count than all of them added together! The workman at the arena, the EMTs, etc.

I actually liked seeing Adam at the temple, but recognize your point, @dwmarch.   :-))

I do admit that all of them pulling up in unison at the prison gates, while contrived, made me a little misty.

In what world do they put a Yakuza legacy in a Hawaiian prison?? (I know, challenging the reality and i've chosen *that* point to harp on....??! lol)

All of this.

Let's hope Steve and his magical manipulation of people can get Adam some protection inside.

They couldn't have flashed on the Gov at the fight to give me a little Richard T. Jones??

I'm sure I've said this before - and I preface it with I watch all of the crime shows so I shouldn't be surprised - but the murder rate on this rivals 24. At least (if there can be an "at least") when NCISLA shoots people all day and night, they are shooting the bad guys (mostly). I think out of all the crime dramas I watch, this one has the biggest collateral damage count than all of them added together! The workman at the arena, the EMTs, etc.

I actually liked seeing Adam at the temple, but recognize your point, @dwmarch. :-))

I do admit that all of them pulling up in unison at the prison gates, while contrived, made me a little misty.

In what world do they put a Yakuza legacy in a Hawaiian prison?? (I know, challenging the reality and i've chosen *that* point to harp on....??! lol)

Well, they had to come up with some reason why Adam wasn't around for awhile, short of him being killed or him & Kono divorcing (which isn't likely, the way their love for each other's being written), & assuming Adam doesn't just miraculously get outta Halawa when the next new ep airs on January 8th, because it's probably time for Ian Anthony Dale (Adam) to go shoot the next season of his other show, TNT's Murder in the First.

If they hadn't put a reason in the storyline, then the Adam/Kodam fans probably would've bitched about "Where's Adam?", like the Danny fans, & others, do when 1 of Scott's "5 less eps per season than Alex" airs & there's no explanation given for where Danny is in that ep.

I am confused by something, and part of it is probably me not paying attention because Gabriel is annoying, but I thought when they first introduced him he was some low level thug in jail for armed robbery of a corner store or something? Now apparently on top of that he was a big enough criminal where the feds were investigating him for a RICO case back in something like 2005?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1

I, too, wondered about the RICO case back in '05. For some reason I thought that Gabriel was rather young, like late 20's. Which would mean he was involved in racketeering when he was a teen. That just doesn't seem plausible. But, considering everything else in this show, why the hell not? Maybe he is really Jimmy Hoffa. Or D.B. Cooper.

If this lame Adam storyline really is because of the actor's other commitments, I have a suggestion for those in charge of the show - only hire actors who are willing to make the show their top priority. It isn't like there is an unemployed actor shortage in Hollywood.

Edited by Mittengirl

"When Gabirel Waincroft asks you to do something, you don't ask questions."

Good grief, show, you are not going to make Gabriel happen! It doesn't work like that! You can INTRODUCE characters as badasses and tell us how scary they are and how great they are at being criminals, but you can't take a run-of-the-mill EXISTING character and do it! This makes no sense!

I am confused by something, and part of it is probably me not paying attention because Gabriel is annoying, but I thought when they first introduced him he was some low level thug in jail for armed robbery of a corner store or something? Now apparently on top of that he was a big enough criminal where the feds were investigating him for a RICO case back in something like 2005?

A recurring trope of this show is that some nefarious things are going on right under 5-0's noses at pretty much all times. 5-0 has a tendency to gather information haphazardly, jump to a lot of conclusions and make a lot of mistakes through excessive trust of people who turn out to be bad guys. So it seems entirely plausible to me that Gabriel Waincroft was regarded by 5-0 as nothing more than a punk when it turns out he's actually a criminal mastermind who's been at it since he was a kid. But they'd have to acknowledge that on the show for it to work. I assume for the record that Gabriel's criminal mastermind abilities manifested solely because the show needed another Big Bad after killing off Wo Fat.

• Love 1

I, too, wondered about the RICO case back in '05. For some reason I thought that Gabriel was rather young, like late 20's. Which would mean he was involved in racketeering when he was a teen. That just doesn't seem plausible. But, considering everything else in this show, why the hell not? Maybe he is really Jimmy Hoffa. Or D.B. Cooper.

If this lame Adam storyline really is because of the actor's other commitments, I have a suggestion for those in charge of the show - only hire actors who are willing to make the show their top priority. It isn't like there is an unemployed actor shortage in Hollywood.

To be fair to Ian Anthony Dale, he was already on H50 when Murder in the First came along (H50 is on S6 & Adam wasn't introduced until S2, I don't think; MitF is going into S3). And his role in H50 was initially, before they did the "good girl cop falls for possibly shady son of a Yakuza boss" storyline, a lot smaller than it is now, even though it's still, & always has been, recurring.

Since the actor/character is recurring, & people need to eat, pay bills, etc., I don't see anything wrong with Ian going up for another role & taking it, to keep the money coming in when he's not needed on H50. Especially since roles for "people of color" (Ian is half-Asian & half-American) are harder to come by; especially "good guy/mostly good guy" roles like Ian has on both his shows.

As long as TPTB at H50/CBS are OK with it, which they seem to be (as with Scott Caan now having a slightly smaller episode commitment each season than Alex O'Loughlin). And as long as his shooting schedule on both shows could be worked out among the various networks & producers (like Masi Oka being in both the Heroes sequel/reboot & H50 at the same time), which it apparently has been, again I see no problem with it (except for the potentially lame way the character's absence is explained).

And if they thought his role was as important as some of the others on H50, they could've either made him a "Regular" who has the main title billing, probably the higher pay & other "perks" of that credit placement, but continues not to appear in every episode as if the character was still considered "Recurring" (like Masi Oka & Jorge Garcia are), which could've kept him from taking more work if that was for financial vs. creative reasons, OR they could've kept him at the billing (& presumably pay) level he's at & written his contract so it forbids him from taking other work as long as he's even recurring on H50 (which isn't necessarily fair to Ian & could've perhaps eventually caused him financial issues, depending how much he's paid per ep & how many eps TPTB choose to use his character in per season). But TPTB with the show & CBS chose not to forbid Ian from seeking other work while recurring on H50, because they tend to be nice about working around their actors' other commitments, real life & professional, which might affect their availability. And, honestly, I appreciate that they're of the more flexible, rather than rigid, type of boss.

• Love 1

Gabriel was originally introduced in the S4 ep Hana Lokomaikaʻi (The Favor)--which was actually just on TNT again either this, just, past Friday night/Saturday morning or the week before. That's the ep where basically the whole thing is Chin, & briefly Kono & Steve, being interrogated by those 2 hardnosed HPD Internal Affairs cops in connection with his actions during both the case involving his father's murder on the job at HPD 15 years earlier & a present-day case that both trace back to the same perp: Gabriel Waincroft, Chin's brother-in-law through his marriage to Gabriel's late sister, Malia.

Gabriel robbed a local convenience store, resulting in the death of HPD Officer Kam Tong Kelly, Chin's father &--at the time--John McGarrett's partner (they went to investigate/apprehend the perp when HPD got the call), though apparently all Gabriel was charged for was the robbery. At the time, Chin & Malia were in their original relationship; when Gabriel was booked, Malia called Chin & asked if there was something Chin could do, so this didn't give him a police record & ruin his life. Chin talked to Gabriel, & apparently did something at the HPD end of things too, because the IA guys were interrogating him for being too willing to help his friends & family outta legal jams, like that. Despite Chin's talk with Gabriel, we saw in flashbacks that his criminal involvement escalated--a younger Kono, I think, told Chin & John she saw him somewhere with a visible tattoo that identified Gabriel as a member of a local gang. Eventually, we found out Malia had kept in touch with Gabriel without telling Chin, the IA cops made salacious & insulting comments about Malia & we got to the current case which somehow involved drug shipments masterminded by Gabriel, & Gabriel blaming Chin for Malia's death but managing--again--to get away from police custody. Which apparently got IA's notice since Chin & Gabriel were both involved in another case, though they apparently couldn't prove wrongdoing on Chin's part.

Anyway, if you have the DVD's/iTunes/Digital downloads, go back & rewatch that ep. It explains how Gabriel went from low-level punk criminal to the level he's at now.

A recurring trope of this show is that some nefarious things are going on right under 5-0's noses at pretty much all times. 5-0 has a tendency to gather information haphazardly, jump to a lot of conclusions and make a lot of mistakes through excessive trust of people who turn out to be bad guys. So it seems entirely plausible to me that Gabriel Waincroft was regarded by 5-0 as nothing more than a punk when it turns out he's actually a criminal mastermind who's been at it since he was a kid. But they'd have to acknowledge that on the show for it to work. I assume for the record that Gabriel's criminal mastermind abilities manifested solely because the show needed another Big Bad after killing off Wo Fat.

Which makes me wonder, if Gabriel was some big time boss for that long how come he didn't get taken out by Wo Fat?

Which makes me wonder, if Gabriel was some big time boss for that long how come he didn't get taken out by Wo Fat?

Plenty of work to go around without starting unnecessary wars. He could have been  on Wo Fat's bench waiting to be activated and absorbed into his network much like 5-0's producers did when they they needed a replacement after Wo fat's death.

The thing is, I don't care what is going on with the actors off stage, so to speak. I don't care if they hate their character, cast mates, location or salary. I don't care if they want to work two jobs or don't want the one they have. The only time I care is when it affects the show and I think the writers, show runners, producers or whomever, are doing a terrible job writing characters in and out of the show. Just my opinion.

• Love 3

Well, if Adam was in the custody of a police officer, then it was probably ok...

Maybe because it is a small island. Its not much different from surrendering yourself to the County Sheriff and then he transports you to the state correctional facility

I hope Adam dies in prison.  There's absolutely no reason why Gabriel wouldn't send his thugs after him.  I'm so tired of the Kono/Adam storyline that I'd just rather see the character permanently off the show.  His decision to turn himself in made absolutely no sense.  He was kidnapped by a local crimelord who was going to kill him.  The crimelord sent two thugs after him into the jungle who were going to kill him.  He killed them to save himself.  Didn't Danny even comment that it was self- defence?  Why did Adam agree to a plea?

Agree with all of you that Gabriel as crime boss is a huge fail.

I thought this episode actually utilised Jerry Garcia perfectly.  It wasn't Jerry desperate to be part of the team.  It was Jerry at the base helping out with some key information.  We didn't have to see him in the field or whining that he didn't get a badge or a gun.  It was Jerry in a very small dose, which is about all I can handle.

I'm wondering if this new San Francisco lady is sticking around.  But her task was to be in the control center.  She immediately left her post when she heard shots fired from where Chin was.  Was she certain the other two thugs had been apprehended?  What if there were more than 3?  And Chin doesn't use his headset to say he is OK?  We have to wait for her to run over and flash that look of concern?  Ugh.

I have no idea why this show seems to have so many problems putting characters in relationships and having them maintain them.  Each of the core four has now had a failed/ended relationship.  Grover is married and we see his wife once in a long while, and I think that's fine.  So I would say that since this show doesn't know how to write relationships in for the core four that work, then just don't bother.   Then again, I don't understand why other procedurals like CSI and NCIS seem to be able to have relationships for their characters (sometimes with each other, and often not working in the long run, but at least they try) and the writers don't seem to have as many problems doing it as the ones for this show do.

I hope Adam dies in prison. There's absolutely no reason why Gabriel wouldn't send his thugs after him. I'm so tired of the Kono/Adam storyline that I'd just rather see the character permanently off the show. His decision to turn himself in made absolutely no sense. He was kidnapped by a local crimelord who was going to kill him. The crimelord sent two thugs after him into the jungle who were going to kill him. He killed them to save himself. Didn't Danny even comment that it was self- defence? Why did Adam agree to a plea?

Agree with all of you that Gabriel as crime boss is a huge fail.

I thought this episode actually utilised Jerry Garcia perfectly. It wasn't Jerry desperate to be part of the team. It was Jerry at the base helping out with some key information. We didn't have to see him in the field or whining that he didn't get a badge or a gun. It was Jerry in a very small dose, which is about all I can handle.

I'm wondering if this new San Francisco lady is sticking around. But her task was to be in the control center. She immediately left her post when she heard shots fired from where Chin was. Was she certain the other two thugs had been apprehended? What if there were more than 3? And Chin doesn't use his headset to say he is OK? We have to wait for her to run over and flash that look of concern? Ugh.

I have no idea why this show seems to have so many problems putting characters in relationships and having them maintain them. Each of the core four has now had a failed/ended relationship. Grover is married and we see his wife once in a long while, and I think that's fine. So I would say that since this show doesn't know how to write relationships in for the core four that work, then just don't bother. Then again, I don't understand why other procedurals like CSI and NCIS seem to be able to have relationships for their characters (sometimes with each other, and often not working in the long run, but at least they try) and the writers don't seem to have as many problems doing it as the ones for this show do.

(The Late) Jerry Garcia was in the Grateful Dead. In the show it's Jerry ORTEGA, played by JORGE Garcia.

The "new San Francisco lady" is sticking around, at least for awhile. She's a recurring character; I don't know for how many episodes though. I can say CBS has issued the press release for the next new ep, due on January 8th, & she's not in that--but Adam & Gabriel are, & so is Kamekona. The next ep I know she's in is the Valentine's Day ep (not actually airing then, I don't think, but set on that day)--the characters of Abby, aka "San Francisco lady"/Chin's potential new love; Lynn, who appears to be Steve's new girlfriend; & Melissa, fka Amber, Danny's current girlfriend, are all in it. It was filmed in Hawaii last month, I think.

As far as each of the Core Four having had failed/ended relationships, I'd agree as far as Steve (Catherine), Danny (Rachel--which really predates joining Five-0, but I'm also counting because of the S1 affair they had which resulted in the birth of their son Charlie--& Gabby) & Chin (Malia, which was a similar relationship to Danny/Rachel, in that it initially ended before Five-0 existed--when Chin resigned from HPD in light of what turned out to be his Uncle's theft from the HPD Asset Forfeiture Locker to finance the black market kidney Chin's Aunt needed for a transplant--was rekindled through a Five-0 case, resulting in their marriage, then ended when Frank Delano's goons murdered her; followed by Leilani, the prison employee Chin saved from the riot when he was kidnaped & put in Halawa Prison by 1 of Frank Delano's brothers out for revenge over Frank's death, then saw for a brief time afterward) are concerned.

But I wouldn't necessarily agree about Kono. Her relationship with Ben Bass, the son of an S1 murder victim who was Kono's surfing mentor, was more before Five-0, like Danny/Rachel & Chin/Malia. And she only kissed Charlie Fong at a party when they were young kids. Other than that, her relationship with Adam is the only relationship we know of involving her & that relationship really hasn't ended or failed, despite Adam currently being incarcerated at Halawa. They got married, despite everything the Yakuza has thrown at them. Kono isn't divorcing him because of him being in Halawa, which was pretty much orchestrated by Gabriel/the Yakuza; they actually promised each other their love was forever when Kono took him to Halawa to begin his sentence.

And another thing... You mentioned the CSI writers being able to successfully write character couple relationships. If that's not confined to the original show & includes at least CSI: NY, then you're actually potentially complimenting H50 Showrunner, & frequent writer, Peter Lenkov. He served in the same capacities at CSI: NY for multiple seasons just prior to beginning H50.

Edited by BW Manilowe

(The Late) Jerry Garcia was in the Grateful Dead. In the show it's Jerry ORTEGA, played by JORGE Garcia.

But I wouldn't necessarily agree about Kono. Her relationship with Ben Bass, the son of an S1 murder victim who was Kono's surfing mentor, was more before Five-0, like Danny/Rachel & Chin/Malia. And she only kissed Charlie Fong at a party when they were young kids. Other than that, her relationship with Adam is the only relationship we know of involving her & that relationship really hasn't ended or failed, despite Adam currently being incarcerated at Halawa. They got married, despite everything the Yakuza has thrown at them. Kono isn't divorcing him because of him being in Halawa, which was pretty much orchestrated by Gabriel/the Yakuza; they actually promised each other their love was forever when Kono took him to Halawa to begin his sentence.

I'm aware the character is named Jerry Ortega, but since he's played by a guy with the name Garcia, I like calling him Jerry Garcia.  Not sure why this bothers you so much, you have commented on it several times.  It's no different than calling characters by names / nicknames (e.g. Agent Dime Eyes) that frequently appears on internet boards.

I'm assuming Adam is going to die, that's why I wrote off his relationship with Kono.  Halawa seems like a particularly dangerous place, especially once Gabriel gets all his thugs to knife Adam in a hallway.

Speaking of Charlie Fong, what ever happened to him?  I remember he got stabbed and went to the hospital, but I thought he lived, I don't recall any mention of him dying.  Seems like his "lab and tech guy" role went to some combo of Danny's nephew and Jerry Garcia?  Too bad, I liked Charlie Fong and never understood why Kono didn't hang out with him more.

I'm aware the character is named Jerry Ortega, but since he's played by a guy with the name Garcia, I like calling him Jerry Garcia.  Not sure why this bothers you so much, you have commented on it several times.  It's no different than calling characters by names / nicknames (e.g. Agent Dime Eyes) that frequently appears on internet boards.

I'm assuming Adam is going to die, that's why I wrote off his relationship with Kono.  Halawa seems like a particularly dangerous place, especially once Gabriel gets all his thugs to knife Adam in a hallway.

Speaking of Charlie Fong, what ever happened to him?  I remember he got stabbed and went to the hospital, but I thought he lived, I don't recall any mention of him dying.  Seems like his "lab and tech guy" role went to some combo of Danny's nephew and Jerry Garcia?  Too bad, I liked Charlie Fong and never understood why Kono didn't hang out with him more.

That is pretty much it they shoved a legacy character aside, especially with Kono married off and some childhood crush from Charlie Fong and the attended giggles out of the script  to make room for family drama. Much as Kamekona's role of comedy relief and confidential informant of the island underclass was usurped by "Jerry Garcia" and his conspiracy theories.

Well, in the unlikely event I ever have to take my husband to be incarcerated, I now know I should dress in a sleeveless dress with a plunging neckline.  Thanks for the fashion tip, Kono!