Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Do you have to do it sitting on the floor? Does it just about kill your back and knees? I want one of those big tables like Martha Stewart. I am terrible at wrapping. I swear every year that everybody's getting gift cards next year. Then I forget and do it all over again.

i hate wrapping and this year, except for my youngest daughter, they all got money or gift cards...

teri asked for a 'shark steam mop' so that's what she got..

they are all sick at her place so dh is going to take their cards and gift to them.

decided i would do my baked yams, cranberry sauce and make my dinner rolls today..

oven will be otherwise occcupied tomorrow.

it will be very different for us this year as this is the first year it will be just the two of us..

• Love 7

I love ye olde gift bags.  Wrapping is too hard on the back--I remember one Christmas that between wrapping a ton of presents and fixing a big turkey dinner with all the side dishes that my back went out! 

My favorite Christmas movies are A Christmas Story, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, and Home Alone.  For religious type movies, Jesus of Nazareth starring Robert Powell and Olivia Hussey has a wonderful section featuring all the events leading up to the birth of Christ.

Happy Holidays to all the posters here on this board!  You are a treasure, each and every one!

And boes, hug your darling Hazel for me!  She and I share a name (well, middle name in my case.)

• Love 8
1 hour ago, boes said:

Ahhh, Christmas movies.....

There's this 1957 movie called "All Mine To Give", starring Glynis Johns and Cameron Mitchell, about a Wisconsin family in the 1860's  The parents die and then the oldest kid, about 14, has to find homes for his brothers and sisters on Christmas Eve.   It has it all - cute kids, death, loss, bad sets, death, heavy handed music, death - feeling Christmasy yet?

Well, when you put it like that ...

I need another Tom and Jerry ... Double the Tom, bartender! ... Stop bogarting the Fritos and clam dip!

My father loves "All Mine To Give." At the end he pulls out a bandana, honks his nose and get's up for another beer ... We're a very sentimental and refined clan.

54 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm watching It Happened on Fifth Avenue. Cool old homeless guy and his dog move into 2nd richest man in the world's mansion on 5th Avenue in New York every winter while said rich dude is in Virginia. A bunch of homeless WWII veterans and their wives and kids also move into mansion. Rich dude finds out and pretends to be homeless so he can keep an eye on his runaway daughter who is also staying in the mansion. Hilarity, sentimental music and much warming of the heart. Love old movies so much!

I haven't seen that in dog years. Charles Ruggles is a great actor!

48 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Okay, I'm looking that one up--that's got me written all over it.

Because we're all class, all the time, I'll share a Christmas moment here--I walked into the living room where daughter and others are watching youtubes of wholesome young Mormons from Brigham Young U singing carols. Fine, you say. Not so much--the catcalling, the filthy comments, and the profane religious jokes would peel wallpaper...lest you think that divinity/theology students lack the spirit of the season...

I will now go upstairs and swear even more as I attempt to wrap things. This is not in my skill-set.

That's what happens when you put clean-cut, moon-faced heretics in front of a bunch of theology students. Invectives will be thrown.

I went out with a divinity student in college ... We broke several Commandments with alarming regularity.

He's a minister with a Snow Queen wife and three very Nordic children, at a 6,000+ member church in Edina Minnesota ... You know who you are ... Heh.

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, Tippi said:

I love ye olde gift bags.  Wrapping is too hard on the back--I remember one Christmas that between wrapping a ton of presents and fixing a big turkey dinner with all the side dishes that my back went out! 

My favorite Christmas movies are A Christmas Story, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, and Home Alone.  For religious type movies, Jesus of Nazareth starring Robert Powell and Olivia Hussey has a wonderful section featuring all the events leading up to the birth of Christ.

Happy Holidays to all the posters here on this board!  You are a treasure, each and every one!

And boes, hug your darling Hazel for me!  She and I share a name (well, middle name in my case.)

Thank you. Gift bags next year! My back has had it and I still have a million more things to do.

My favorite Christmas movie list is pretty much the same as yours although I'd have to add Christmas Vacation (is Rusty still in the Navy?) and Scrooged. We always watch The Wizard of Oz and Meet Me in St. Louis at Thanksgiving. My Fair Lady for New Years. Woodstock for July 4th.

Edited to add I'm watching Roseanne right now. Bonnie Sheradin (aka Bonnie Bramlett) is singing You Really Got A Hold On Me. God, what a show stopper.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Do you have to do it sitting on the floor? Does it just about kill your back and knees? I want one of those big tables like Martha Stewart. I am terrible at wrapping. I swear every year that everybody's getting gift cards next year. Then I forget and do it all over again.

Yep.  I know that floor.  And I know that back.

And there's always a bit of dog hair caught in the cellophane tape.  And if by any chance the package gets a ribbon or a bow, it's one that happened to fall off a package someone ELSE wrapped last year that just happened to survive in the wrapping box until this year.  And crushed, always a little bit crushed.

But I sure enjoy seeing them all under the tree!

Pearlite, I would love your house and your daughter and her friends!  They sound like similar souls!

Finishing up the last right now while I watch that orphan movie.   I've seen it so many times now I skip right to where the kid gives Dr. Delbert the cow, Old Molly, as "payment for Momma" and it still makes me tear up.  Or, that may be the dog hair....

Most important thing of all - Merry Merry Merry Christmas to you all!  

Edited by boes
  • Love 8

I had to laugh yesterday when Mariah didn't bother wrapping Dylan's gift because he's a guy.  I do the same thing!  

Per Italian tradition, Christmas Eve dinner is a big fish fry.  My sister and brother hate the fish, so I always make mac and cheese with a recipe from Homeroom restaurant.  It's usually a big hit, and it saves my mom from having to make something else to please them.  

Christmas in Conneticut is on TCM tonight.  I like Barbara Stanwyck, so I may watch that again.  Bad Santa always makes me laugh.  But one of my favorite holiday-themed movies is The Dead, based on the James Joyce short story from Dubliners.  It was John Huston's last movie, and takes place at a dinner party on the Feast of the Epiphany.  The end always gets to me...  

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah, everybody!  

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 9

Best holiday wishes to you, Snap, from a fellow Pennsyltuckian.  And the best of everything to all the Preverts.  You guys are my lifeline.  I am dealing with health issues of family members and haven't had time to respond in a while.  But I watch and read and laugh every day and I honestly don't know what I would do if I didn't have this forum as a respite from my sucky life.  I love all of you.

• Love 10

Count me as another gift bag person. I live a ways from my family and I've been using Amazon since 2010 to send gifts while I was active duty and stuck in Japan...but I hated wrapping girls as a kid. I use them these days not just outta laziness, but the environmentalist in me sees what a complete waste most wrapping paper is. You can't even compost most of it thanks to the chemicals that give it their shine. So, I'll stick to bags, boxes and tissues.

Merry Christmas!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Christmas in Conneticut is on TCM tonight.  I like Barbara Stanwyck, so I may watch that again.  Bad Santa always makes me laugh.  But one of my favorite holiday-themed movies is The Dead, based on the James Joyce short story from Dubliners.  It was John Huston's last movie, and takes place at a dinner party on the Feast of the Epiphany.  The end always gets to me...  

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah, everybody!  

Me too, Snaporaz, just finished it now.  That ending......and Angelica Houston on the steps, lost in the song she's hearing.....the foreshadowing of the aunt's death.........oh yes.

Merry Christmas!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I love all of you ❤️️ 

we all love you too petunia13.

even if we disagree on the characters of the stupid tv show, we can still, virtually drink, laugh and be merry with each other and generally just have a great ole time discussing shit just because we want to..

hope every one has a great evening, don't eat too much cause y'all gotta save room for desert..

luv all u preverts..

• Love 10
1 hour ago, valleycliffe said:

even if we disagree on the characters of the stupid tv show, we can still, virtually drink, laugh and be merry with each other and generally just have a great ole time discussing shit just because we want to..

hope every one has a great evening, don't eat too much cause y'all gotta save room for desert..

luv all u preverts..

I don't think I'll ever eat again *belch*

• Love 7
1 hour ago, valleycliffe said:

luv all u preverts..

You know, I've been in a number of fandoms in my time, but this is the one fan community where I truly enjoy all the posts and enjoy all the posters. Between here and TWoP,  Michael Munhey is the only polarizing issue that could get the claws kinda almost out....but even then, it's forgotten about when our mods post a cute bunny or something :p

Love you gals!

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

How dare 2016 take George Michael too

What??  This is the first I'm hearing about it.  :>(  

How weird, because that new character on Y&R made me think of him recently.  When I was in college, I had a crush on a guy named Ravi who looked like an Indian George Michael.  Fuck you, 2016.

• Love 8

Merry Christmas ????all! It's been ages since I've posted but I read daily. I'm afraid if I start to post about that vicious, vituperative, vindictive, viper Victor I won't be able to stop. Then there's that mass of cells that are supposed to Billy. Jeebus Cripes asshole can't come close to describing that disgusting, condescending, whiny ass child! Redirecting ~ I have several Christmas movies I love. The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant is a gem. (Cary Grant ~ nuff said) Another fave is White Christmas because there is only one man who can sing White Christmas and that is Bing Crosby. It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, Home Alone....wow I have more but I'll let those stand. Happy Holidays to you funny, intelligent, and insightful posters! Happy New Year!

Oh and I can no longer sit on the floor to wrap. I hate getting old. I swear yesterday I was in college.

Edited by natalie wood
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I love all of you ❤️️ 

4 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

luv all u preverts..

4 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

We sure do, Petunia13, we sure do!

And yep, how DARE 2016 take George Michael?  Only 53!!!!

I can't count the number of times I've played "Last Christmas" this season.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

This is so sad. I grew up listening to him- l love great singers and he was a truly gifted vocalist. You could lose yourself listening to that beautiful, soulful voice. Rest in peace, George Michael. 

• Love 8

it's snowing like crazy right now...

hubby and i were going to go for a walk around the harbour but the weather is so awful we decided against it..

i have too hard a time walking right now little alone walking in the snow.

so, it's an ancient aliens marathon on history channel..

wishing it was a pitbulls and parolees on animal planet but they are doing too cute..

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

it's snowing like crazy right now...

hubby and i were going to go for a walk around the harbour but the weather is so awful we decided against it..

i have too hard a time walking right now little alone walking in the snow.

so, it's an ancient aliens marathon on history channel..

wishing it was a pitbulls and parolees on animal planet but they are doing too cute..

How is your hip these days? I know it's been what about 6 months since your surgery, is it better now than it was before the surgery?

• Love 5

well, it is better than before the surgery but it still hurts and i still have to use my cane...

i have been told that because i take immunosuppressants for my ra that i take longer than normal to heal..

and my other hip is sore from my friend art taking up residence there...stupid weather.   

i'm a mess, but dh has the wood stove going in the family room and it takes the dampness out of the air.

and ummmm, left overs for dinner...no muss no fuss..just nuke and done.

• Love 8

and ummmm, left overs for dinner...no muss no fuss..just nuke and done.

That's what we had last night- left over lasagna that I made for Christmas Eve at my parents house. Tonight I'm making home made chicken noodle soup and egg salad sandwiches. I'm glad you're on the mend. Give your DH a kiss and tell him he has a fan on the interwebs.

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:02 AM, peacheslatour said:

Merry Christmas Preverts!

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 2:49 PM, Petunia13 said:

I love all of you ❤️️ 

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 5:32 PM, valleycliffe said:

luv all u preverts..

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:10 PM, Anna Yolei said:

You know, I've been in a number of fandoms in my time, but this is the one fan community where I truly enjoy all the posts and enjoy all the posters. Between here and TWoP,  Michael Munhey is the only polarizing issue that could get the claws kinda almost out....but even then, it's forgotten about when our mods post a cute bunny or something :p

Love you gals!

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:15 PM, peacheslatour said:

And guys! Love you all. My time on this board has been some of my happiest moments in a pretty bad year. Bye, bye 2016, you won't be missed.

My best days have been standing up against the darkest night of the JFP/Pratt-astrophe with friends like you.

I love you all.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Snaporaz said:

I ate an entire 1 kg. panettone in a span of 24 hours.  Candied orange peel is like crack for me!

I lit a candle to the chemical engineer that developed Lycra spandex, thanking that individual for stretch pants.

Oy ...

It was a very slow 4 mile run this morning. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Hey there!

How was your Christmas? Updates on Grandpa, your uncle, Steve and Marguerite, please?

Christmas was fine. I'm glad it's over though. My troubled brother was actually invited by my Aunt and Uncle after years of them not wanting anything to do with him. It was weird and surprising and I was stressed hoping my brother would behave himself. Thankfully he did for the most part. I was just relieved when it was over, heh. But the food was amazing and the gifts were nice.

Gramps is the same. He's still convinced he might die in three days but he's doing well all things considered.

My uncle is home. My mom will be going to Kitchener on January 3 so she can let me know more. He's had his license taken away after the stroke, and he wants to go on his scheduled vacation, but everyone is telling him he's crazy and to rest up and gather his strength. He's disappointed he can't go on his cruise. That's all I know right now, everything is hush hush.

Steve is okay. Brought him to the vet, had to wait almost a half hour in the cold because the tech hadn't shown up. I always do an 8:30 am drop off before the clinic opens. I came to get him after lunch and he hadn't pooped yet. I had to wait over two hours for him to poop so they could do a gram stain. Which sucked because I had to see faces of people who I don't like there. But, I also got to hang out with the girl in boarding and play with my favourite cockatoo. He was outside his cage and we got to cuddle for a good hour and a half. It was amazing. I missed that guy.  After Steve finally pooped, we learned there was nothing wrong with him. His stools aren't perfect but there's no infection at this point so I'm just giving him apple cider vinegar in his water to help control any bacteria and hopefully starve off infection.

Marguerite is doing well all things considered. She's become much more playful and the foster has confirmed she adores her and plans on keeping her.

https://www.facebook.com/1218828674/videos/10212264918877660/

• Love 7

Ah, snaporaz, we just opened the panettone box this morning...so far, we've restrained ourselves to about 1/3 of it. Now, come nightfall, addio panettone.

I will be going all Baptist on the turkey carcass shortly, and submitting it to a total immersion with carrots, onions, and celery. Bye bye turkey. After two days, someone else can finish you, but you will be nice soup. The question is, where to store it? The fridge looks like a survivalist's cache, and a friend always requires borscht at Christmas, so there's a coupla quarts of that in there...

No snow here at the mo, and I love dry sidewalks! But, having typed that, I accept that I'm tempting fate and should probably buy some more ice melter. Actually, I love the days after Christmas, when things settle back to a quiet version of normal.

Happiest of birthday-festivals, boes!

• Love 5

Actually, I love the days after Christmas, when things settle back to a quiet version of normal.

Me too. The decorations are still up, but all the pressure is off. We just get to enjoy the quiet and eat all the goodies. I got waaay too much chocolate this year. I like to sit up at night with all the lights off except the tree lights and the evergreen swags over the archway and drink wine and contemplate the events of the last year. Some bad things and some good things, but the people I love the most and my Preverts are still with me.

• Love 4

Rotten, rotten news about Carrie Fisher.  The last I'd heard was that she was stablized and improving.  Fuck it is right.

Thanks for the birthday week wishes!!  I should be ready to "eschew" (love those word-a-day calendars!) any more dessert, but I got started early on the road to sugar overload....

Ronnie%20and%20his%20birthday%20cake.jpg

(oh so long ago)

But this year I'm going for a deep dish apple pie from this German bakery out here.  It's been ordered to pick up on Thursday morning.

Wish I could share it with all of you!

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, boes said:

Rotten, rotten news about Carrie Fisher.  The last I'd heard was that she was stablized and improving.  Fuck it is right.

Thanks for the birthday week wishes!!  I should be ready to "eschew" (love those word-a-day calendars!) any more dessert, but I got started early on the road to sugar overload....

Ronnie%20and%20his%20birthday%20cake.jpg

(oh so long ago)

But this year I'm going for a deep dish apple pie from this German bakery out here.  It's been ordered to pick up on Thursday morning.

Wish I could share it with all of you!

"Stable" isn't necessarily good.  OMG boes, I swan my gran had that exact same sofa and draperies. You sure were a cute little one, look at those curls!

• Love 7

Petunia13, how is George?  What does the vet say?

Ninja, that's still how I look at baked goods.   That's about the only thing from those days that are the same as now.

Peaches, that couch was scratchy!  I found those draperies when I was getting the contents of the house ready for auction back in 2000.  My mother had packed them away carefully.  They looked good even after 40 years.

• Love 6