Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Oh no!  Sorry, @jpagan05!  It's never had that effect on me.  I'm not taking it now, but I was going to start again because of all of this heightened anxiety.  The other night, I dreamt that I was lying in bed awake stressing out, but I had to have been asleep because the time flew by.

It's not a bad thing. It's cracking me up. But when I remember my dreams, usually later on, it's hard to tell if it actually happened or not. Today I remembered the ukulele dream when I was watching the Tessa on stage part of y and r. I hope you can get some relief from your anxiety💓

• Love 6

You guys always make me feel better when I have a rough day. Nothing horrible happened but a lot happened for a v long day and I miss George, because of the situation w quarantine and daycare stopping entirely my mom was minding him since I give her money and she didn’t give him to me after work. It was constant urgency since the kitchen was short (3 of us this including me for the 3 meals we all worked 12 hrs and I was also dishwasher for the whole day). The 40 yr old resident w early onset dementia came to me and forgot a few things today and was self conscious, but I kinda played it off since I saw she was pensive. Both were common mistakes.  She’s sharp AF (just in board games or discussing news at times) and kind as hell like... ridiculously so. She really has the nerve to say she feels sorry for ME that I lost my restaurant job and work so hard at the nursing home, this lady! - what I’m getting at is she has a lot of grace.

Also, a middle aged man w autism I know he likes oranges between meals so during my “lunch” I went in and washed my hands 20 second washed 2 sec and wrapped them and brought them to him, did also yesterday. I’m learning from this... the kitchen shit like how to make stuff on a line or doing dishes during rush from a practical aspect and the health care piece it will test my character. It’s crazy I don’t know much about the people their lives now or before, but care about them. I want to think of ways to make it better for them, I don’t even know ...like more crafts or Skyping or face time events?

@boes I thought of you and your family and words can’t express how sorry I am. 

@Cupid Stunt I’m so grateful for all you do and how much good you bring. You are very creative and smart. 

I know squashing the curve and the pandemic is dire. The situation is  protection but economic. I think a lot of people (including myself) are in deep trouble economically. Also I have a bad ticker if I catch it, it would be lights out, even in my age they’d maybe see or know from me telling I have an aneurysm already and of course  I also don’t want to expose anyone to it. This is a scary time. I’m social distancing but even at the grocery store it has partitions like what the fuck is going to happen to us? It feels like there’s a plague or the Spanish Flu epidemic and that’s no shade but actual born in the 80s  in America never heard of or expected something like this and I have a degree in history from NU. 

Im rambling like a MFer but TL:dr this virus has been an entire bitch and we all are busting are asses to make it through and I think we are all scared. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

You guys always make me feel better when I have a rough day. Nothing horrible happened but a lot happened for a v long day and I miss George, because of the situation w quarantine and daycare stopping entirely my mom was minding him since I give her money and she didn’t give him to me after work. It was constant urgency since the kitchen was short (3 of us this including me for the 3 meals we all worked 12 hrs and I was also dishwasher for the whole day). The 40 yr old resident w early onset dementia came to me and forgot a few things today and was self conscious, but I kinda played it off since I saw she was pensive. Both were common mistakes.  She’s sharp AF (just in board games or discussing news at times) and kind as hell like... ridiculously so. She really has the nerve to say she feels sorry for ME that I lost my restaurant job and work so hard at the nursing home, this lady! - what I’m getting at is she has a lot of grace.

Also, a middle aged man w autism I know he likes oranges between meals so during my “lunch” I went in and washed my hands 20 second washed 2 sec and wrapped them and brought them to him, did also yesterday. I’m learning from this... the kitchen shit like how to make stuff on a line or doing dishes during rush from a practical aspect and the health care piece it will test my character. It’s crazy I don’t know much about the people their lives now or before, but care about them. I want to think of ways to make it better for them, I don’t even know ...like more crafts or Skyping or face time events?

@Cupid Stunt I’m so grateful for all you do and how much good you bring. You are very creative and smart. 

I know squashing the curve and the pandemic is dire. The situation is  protection but economic. I think a lot of people (including myself) are in deep trouble economically. Also I have a bad ticker if I catch it, it would be lights out, even in my age they’d maybe see or know from me telling I have an aneurysm already and of course  I also don’t want to expose anyone to it. This is a scary time. I’m social distancing but even at the grocery store it has partitions like what the fuck is going to happen to us? It feels like there’s a plague or the Spanish Flu epidemic and that’s no shade but actual born in the 80s  in America never heard of or expected something like this and I have a degree in history from NU. 

Im rambling like a MFer but TL:dr this virus has been an entire bitch and we all are busting are asses to make it through and I think we are all scared. 

@Petunia13, I don't think you are rambling; I think you are like all of us trying to get through this.  Your kind heart is so evident. You are making a difference in people's lives.  That is what all need to do now.

happy i love you GIF by Children's Miracle Network Hospitals

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

(((Petunia)))

You don't know all the good you're doing for the residents and other workers at the nursing home. By taking on extra duties and taking on the small things for everyone there, you're sharing the work load and making the health crisis a little less frightening. 

You're not in a good situation with your mother. She lays her anxieties and emotional issues at your door, and George is being used as well. We're here for you.

I posted a Vox article yesterday how the sectors of the economy are being sacrificed for the sake of public health. When you're the one losing your job in the middle of economic upheaval, it's difficult to feel anything other than white knuckle panic. Your sacrifice doesn't feel particularly noble when you're worrying about paying the bills. The anxiety of losing everything has got everyone by the throat. Many people were clawing their out of the last recession, but others have been left far behind in the bread and circuses economic boom. 

When faced with problems (and a pandemic is a huge problem), I reach out to my network of family, friends, business associates, church members, and neighbors for information and for help (like the corner vendor introducing us to the truck driver that drove Bea to San Francisco). People want to help, but don't know how because coronavirus seems insurmountable. I'm letting the scientists and health care professionals handle the heavy lifting, while I can do the small things -- Keep it clean, visit the sick, donate to the needy, scrub the house, reassure my employees to keep moving forward and take care of themselves, make phone calls to check on shut-ins, follow up on tips, pass on information to others. If there was ever a time to reach out and help each other, it's now. Pace yourself. We're in this for the long haul. 

• Love 10

t_9310257b4c1148aaaf8155b085a7afef_name_

"You know I didn't do anything. It's his fault." -- Senate falls far short of votes needed to advance coronavirus bill, as clash between Republicans and Democrats intensifies

Congressional rescue talks churn as viral crisis expands

White House Briefing -- March 22, 2020

Governors and mayors in growing uproar over Trump’s lagging coronavirus response

“We are desperate”: The Administration's inaction has created a crisis with protective medical gear -- Health workers battling Covid-19 now have to stretch their supplies in risky ways.

Gottlieb expects "shocking" scenes in New York as coronavirus deaths mount

Exclusive: U.S. axed CDC expert job in China months before virus outbreak

Intelligence reports warned about a pandemic in January. The Administration reportedly ignored them. -- As the Administration reportedly received intelligence reports about the seriousness of the coronavirus threat, he continued to downplay its severity in public.

Coronavirus and the contagion of fear

coronavirus_AP_2_4-770x433.jpeg?FrP0rdZb

Coronavirus forces Americans to grapple with new reality

Americans see the virus response through partisan lens

Virus pandemic an unprecedented test for a young generation

Factories pivot to fight coronavirus, but challenges abound

UK scientists to track mutations in coronavirus to map spread

How to manage anxiety during a pandemic -- We’re living in a stressful time. It’s important to take care of our mental health.

How to answer 7 big questions kids have about the coronavirus pandemic -- From missing grandma to fears about getting sick, here’s how adults can help kids navigate this difficult time.

Coronavirus is bringing a plague of dangerous doomsday predictions -- It's the end of the world … if you listen to some charlatans.

World’s Richest Spend $1 Billion on ‘Bargains of a Lifetime’ -- It's the end of the world, and we're buying.

tag:reuters.com,2020:newsml_LYNXMPEG2L0T

An empty La Bola street is pictured during partial lockdown as part of a 15-day state of emergency to combat the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in downtown Ronda, southern Spain, March 22, 2020. REUTERS/Jon Nazca -- 'We are at war' says Spain of its coronavirus efforts, seeking extended state of emergency

Belgian with 20% lung capacity starts home mask sewing army

Virus now in Gaza, Syria, raising fears in vulnerable areas

War-torn Syria braces for lockdown after first virus case

China exonerates doctor reprimanded for warning of virus

China, on virus PR offensive, sends masks and experts abroad

GettyImages-1207851481.jpg?resize=850,47

Pandemic postcard from California: ‘Wish you weren’t here’

Abortion in Ohio will continue, despite Attorney General order to stop -- On Wednesday, the Ohio Department of Health ordered all "non-essential and elective surgeries" be temporarily suspended to preserve protective gear for health care workers. Though the directive made no mention of abortion services, by Friday, the state's Attorney General's office had sent letters to two of Ohio's six clinics that provide surgical abortions, ordering them to "immediately stop performing non-essential and elective surgical abortions." -- Any port in the storm.

Gilead puts emergency access to experimental coronavirus drug on hold amid surging demand

Two generic drugs being tested in U.S. in race to find coronavirus treatments

States work to limit prescriptions of potential coronavirus drugs

Beaverton, Oregon man arrested for stealing thousands of N95 masks

Arizona man disguised as a delivery driver steals 29 coronavirus testing kits from a health clinic amid widespread shortages

Senate Intel chairman asks Ethics Committee to review stock sales under scrutiny -- The fix is in.

DJ D-Nice's #ClubQuarantine online concerts draw famous viewers like Michelle Obama, Oprah, Rihanna

Athletes want the 2020 Olympics postponed. The IOC still won’t budge. -- The state of the 2020 Olympics remains uncertain as the IOC refuses to “speculate.”

800.jpeg

Tokyo 2020 Games delay looms as Canada, Australia quit

USDA now undecided on challenging judge’s food stamps ruling

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10

I was thinking, by way of trying to keep my nerves in check, that we might start a "What are you watching" thread.

I know my tastes will differ from many people but we might make some discoveries that others could enjoy. And "enjoy" is a rare commodity at this point. CDN Netflix is more limited than the US version, but anything I'd suggest from there will be available in the US.

To start,

1. I tried "Humters" last week on Amazon and couldn't get past the first episode...even with Pacino serving a lot of ham. Too comic-booky for me [remember my tastes will differ] {Calgon Take Me Away Rating .5/5]
  2. I'm saving the last ep of "The New Pope" -- a slice of heaven and exquisitely made. [Calgon Take Me Away Rating 4.75/5]
  3. Last night I watched "The Current War" [Apple] with Cumberbatch and Michael Shannon, about the rivalry between Edison and George Westinghouse--fascinating for me, aside from anything else, because I've taught a lot of this material in various film and media courses. It's engrossing and well made. [Calgon Take Me Away Rating: 4/5]
  4. PLL was carrying on about Truffaut, so we watched [or she looked up occasionally while texting similarly confined friends] "Breathless," and I remembered how much I loved Belmondo. And maybe the stupid French New Wave dialogue not so much. [Calgon 3/5]

Next is to unearth the DVD player because I have literally hundreds of movies...

Not a network TV person [other than two soaps] and not a fantasy person. I am looking forward to "Self Made," about one of my sources of fascination, Madame C J Walker [Netflix], with Octavia Spencer, whom I adore.

There's a start, if anyone's interested.

Edited by pearlite
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, pearlite said:

I was thinking, by way of trying to keep my nerves in check, that we might start a "What are you watching" thread.

I know my tastes will differ from many people but we might make some discoveries that others could enjoy. And "enjoy" is a rare commodity at this point. CDN Netflix is more limited than the US version, but anything I'd suggest from there will be available in the US.

To start,

1. I tried "Humters" last week on Amazon and couldn't get past the first episode...even with Pacino serving a lot of ham. Too comic-booky for me [remember my tastes will differ] {Calgon Take Me Away Rating .5/5]
  2. I'm saving the last ep of "The New Pope" -- a slice of heaven and exquisitely made. [Calgon Take Me Away Rating 4.75/5]
  3. Last night I watched "The Current War" [Apple] with Cumberbatch and Michael Shannon, about the rivalry between Edison and George Westinghouse--fascinating for me, aside from anything else, because I've taught a lot of this material in various film and media courses. It's engrossing and well made. [Calgon Take Me Away Rating: 4/5]
  4. PLL was carrying on about Truffaut, so we watched [or she looked up occasionally while texting similarly confined friends] "Breathless," and I remembered how much I loved Belmondo. And maybe the stupid French New Wave dialogue not so much. [Calgon 3/5]

Next is to unearth the DVD player because I have literally hundreds of movies...

Not a network TV person [other than two soaps] and not a fantasy person. I am looking forward to "Self Made," about one of my sources of fascination, Madame C J Walker [Netflix], with Octavia Spencer, whom I adore.

This is an awesome idea!  You just reminded me about the New Pope, I will start it this week.

We are two seasons into Wanted, an Australian series that is entertaining and suspenseful.  The actors are fantastic.  The scenery is glorious.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Does anyone else feel completely overwhelmed with information, yet still feel like they have no idea what's going on?  Is anyone else having a hard time remembering to avoid touching your face?  

I need to shift gears now to keep from losing my mind, so Happy National Puppy Day, Preverts!  

24c26e48-a422-4843-90c3-927c3268f51e.jpg

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 13

My tv viewing is erratic right now, but I am watching the new Larry David episodes and loving them.  I think he's an either "love" or "hate" guy.  I''m also watching the new season of "Better Things".

Otherwise I'm watching these documentary series on BBC - I use a VPN - on the islands and lochs of Scotland and anything historical they've got, as well as old Graham Norton episodes and I've restarted The Jewel in the Crown for the umpteenth time.

When I have the attention span for a movie I've mostly been watching old ones, went through my Judy Holliday collection over the last couple of weeks.

Oh!  The new Stephen King series, The Outsider on HBO, that's pretty good too.

Snaporaz, I can't stop touching my face, though now I'm aware of every single itch I get!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
33 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Does anyone else feel completely overwhelmed with information, yet still feel like they have no idea what's going on?  Is anyone else having a hard time remembering to avoid touching your face?  

I need to shift gears now to keep from losing my mind, so Happy National Puppy Day, Preverts!  

Yes, I feel exactly the way you describe. I feel all twirly and chaotic. I keep trying to stay busy so I don't think about it but I'm not being very successful. I'm as scared as I've ever been in my life.

• Love 6

As an introvert and worrier, I'm doing surprisingly well with this quarantine. Of course, I went out Saturday for my course so it's been like 2 days, lol. Today I washed my face, brushed my teeth, cleaned the downstairs living area and bathroom. Then I took a shower, put on fresh pajamas, and put a load in the wash. Like go me. 

As for shows, I watch a bunch of regular TV (The Connors, 9-1-1, Roswell New Mexico, The Resident, Supernatural, etc.) 

But, I also have the CTV Drama Channel and that has allowed me to binge House! I'm watching out of order, I finished season 8, then 7, then 6, now I'm on Season 4 but I love it. 

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Same with me, snap! And I'll be hitting up some Fellini w Mastroianni in your honour up here.

I am overwhelmed and having difficulty not touching my face! Toronto's declared a state of emergency and the province is going into lockdown. I have to avoid news most of the time. Stay well, caro!

24 minutes ago, boes said:

My tv viewing is erratic right now, but I am watching the new Larry David episodes and loving them.  I think he's an either "love" or "hate" guy.  I''m also watching the new season of "Better Things".

Otherwise I'm watching these documentary series on BBC - I use a VPN - on the islands and lochs of Scotland and anything historical they've got, as well as old Graham Norton episodes and I've restarted The Jewel in the Crown for the umpteenth time.

When I have the attention span for a movie I've mostly been watching old ones, went through my Judy Holliday collection over the last couple of weeks.

Oh!  The new Stephen King series, The Outsider on HBO, that's pretty good too.

Snaporaz, I can't stop touching my face, though now I'm aware of every single itch I get!

The attenrion-span issue's a real thing, isn't it?

I know I'll be going back to my beloved studio-era flix--Babs Stanwyck's my gal, and I have a pile of noirs 'cause they were a specialty of mine. I hope the soothing outweighs the crazies. For both of us.

• Love 9

know I'll be going back to my beloved studio-era flix--Babs Stanwyck's my gal, and I have a pile of noirs 'cause they were a specialty of mine. I hope the soothing outweighs the crazies. For both of us.

Oh god, yes. I love her. I've been turning to my old haunts - Pulp Fiction, Fargo, the movie channel has been running a bunch of Bette Davis movies and anything by Hammer Studios and Roger Corman.

• Love 8

@Snaporaz F, yes. I feel the same way. It's impossible not to worry. We are on lockdown as of tomorrow. When I heard the news, I burst into tears. Then when I hear about Italy, I feel so sorry and grateful at the same time. Their obituaries are ten pages long now. Lemme know if you have fun dreams when you start the ashwagandha again💓

@Petunia13 I love the way you write. It's like I can hear your voice.

Hubs and I have been watching Art21 on the PBS channel. We used to watch that together when we first started dating 18 years ago. 3/25 is our 15 year wedding anniversary. Hopefully we don't murder each other during this quarantine. 

Also been watching Oz on HBO and Killing Eve on Hulu. And we have also seen every episode of Project Runway and Ink Master- because Dave Navarro💘. If you want something really feel-good, I highly recommend the new Queer Eye. It is pure joy. I can't wait for it to start up again. Tan from those boys has a fashion series on Netflix that is fun as well.

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, jpagan05 said:

@Snaporaz F, yes. I feel the same way. It's impossible not to worry. We are on lockdown as of tomorrow. When I heard the news, I burst into tears. Then when I hear about Italy, I feel so sorry and grateful at the same time. Their obituaries are ten pages long now. Lemme know if you have fun dreams when you start the ashwagandha again💓

@Petunia13 I love the way you write. It's like I can hear your voice.

Hubs and I have been watching Art21 on the PBS channel. We used to watch that together when we first started dating 18 years ago. 3/25 is our 15 year wedding anniversary. Hopefully we don't murder each other during this quarantine. 

Also been watching Oz on HBO and Killing Eve on Hulu. And we have also seen every episode of Project Runway and Ink Master- because Dave Navarro💘. If you want something really feel-good, I highly recommend the new Queer Eye. It is pure joy. I can't wait for it to start up again. Tan from those boys has a fashion series on Netflix that is fun as well.

Anniversary virtual party is coming up!!  I just looked it up and I see that you're supposed to get Crystal for your 15th Anniversary......  Umm....all I can manage online would be some Krystal Carrington from Dynasty - the vintage one, of course.

giphy.gif

I promise to do better on the actual day.

Are you going to be watching "Making the Cut" on Amazon Prime with Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn?  It starts on Friday, I  think.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, boes said:

Anniversary virtual party is coming up!!  I just looked it up and I see that you're supposed to get Crystal for your 15th Anniversary......  Umm....all I can manage online would be some Krystal Carrington from Dynasty - the vintage one, of course.

giphy.gif

I promise to do better on the actual day.

Are you going to be watching "Making the Cut" on Amazon Prime with Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn?  It starts on Friday, I  think.

Haha! Love a good bitch slap. Linda is such a beauty.

Ooooh, yay! I was wondering when that was starting. I wish I could keep Tim Gunn in my pocket. I adore him.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, pearlite said:

To start,

The first thing I thought of to mention was "Self Made" !!  I watched two of the four episodes yesterday afternoon and loved it.  I am really looking forward to the other two.  [Calgon take me away rating:  5/5] 

*yes, I'm an easy critic

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

The first thing I thought of to mention was "Self Made" !!  I watched two of the four episodes yesterday afternoon and loved it.  I am really looking forward to the other two.  [Calgon take me away rating:  5/5] 

*yes, I'm an easy critic

The Great British Baking show. It's such a breath of fresh air. I give it 5 Golden Calgons.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The Great British Baking show. It's such a breath of fresh air. I give it 5 Golden Calgons.

Yes!  That's on my list and I've watched a couple of episodes.

Here's a good one on Netflix that I watched last year- The Final Table. Rating:  5/5  (I'm so easy)

If you're into food, it was an amazing series

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Here's the thing when it comes to rating stuff.  For me, it's either great or it's awful.  If it's awful, I stop watching it, therefore, I can't rate it. 

If I continue to watch it, it's because it's great, therefore, it's a 5/5.

Yes, I'm that simple....and that easy.  !!!

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Yes!  That's on my list and I've watched a couple of episodes.

Here's a good one on Netflix that I watched last year- The Final Table. Rating:  5/5  (I'm so easy)

If you're into food, it was an amazing series

Also Chef's Table for food. It's so beautifully filmed. My fave was the one about Jeong Kwan.

I forgot Flea Bag (Amazon), Flight of the Conchords (Amazon and HBO) and Derry Girls (Netflix) for levity. I have to put on the subtitles to watch Derry Girls. Gonna check out Self Made!

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, pearlite said:

Excellent suggestion, pearlite.

Other than Y&R, I listen to the Weather Channel, C-Span and CNN during the day. I'm pretty much done with TV by dinner. I used to read or needlepoint while the TV droned in the background. With everyone at home, we play games, listen to music, watch a movie.

I was given a Britbox subscription by Secret Santa -- 300 years of French and Saunders, Touch of Frost, Poirot, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Inspector Morse, Keeping Up Appearances, Prime Suspect,Joan Hickson's Miss Marple is amazing. As a Public Television member, I automatically get Passport -- A recent favorite was Thou Shalt Not Kill, an Italian police procedural series. I'm still a big fan of TCM. 

Mr. Stunt has 12 or so subscription channels he uses for work; SundanceTV, Netflix, Amazon, Adult Swim are regulars.

We have a large library of recorded material, DVS, there's plenty to choose from. I have lots of recent cooking shows recorded, but haven't had much interest in watching lately.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, jpagan05 said:

Also Chef's Table for food. It's so beautifully filmed. My fave was the one about Jeong Kwan.

I forgot Flea Bag (Amazon), Flight of the Conchords (Amazon and HBO) and Derry Girls (Netflix) for levity. I have to put on the subtitles to watch Derry Girls. Gonna check out Self Made!

I've seen Chef's Table, too, which was awesome.  Here in the states, though, there have only been 4 episodes released on Netflix...I've been waiting for more!  Jeong Kwan, who  I am familiar with, was not one of the episodes. 

• Love 4

I liked the Netflix version of Watership Down.  I'm not sure if you would put that in the fantasy category, @pearlite, but the animation is nice.  And @jpagan05, you beat me to it...I was also going to suggest Derry Girls, and yes, you definitely need the subtitles!  It's silly, but hilarious. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I was given a Britbox subscription by Secret Santa -- 300 years of French and Saunders, Touch of Frost, Poirot, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Inspector Morse, Keeping Up Appearances, Prime Suspect,Joan Hickson's Miss Marple is amazing. As a Public Television member, I automatically get Passport -- A recent favorite was Thou Shalt Not Kill, an Italian police procedural series. I'm still a big fan of TCM.

I'm seriously addicted to Maigret. Who knew Rowan Atkinson could be such a silky sleuth.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm seriously addicted to Maigret. Who knew Rowan Atkinson could be such a silky sleuth.

Great series! Recently the local PBS broadcast the 4 episodes back to back on a Sunday. Rowan Atkinson is a wonderful actor. It's so beautifully produced and photographically atmospheric, like the Georges Simenon books.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

Reports sent last week pleased the corporate powers that be. Okay, moving on.

My cleaning lady dropped off her steam cleaner, but didn't come in. Four of her customers went into quarantine 8 days ago; they're all from the same family and attended a wedding. Seven other guests are sick, including the groom. She hadn't been to their homes for three weeks previous, and isn't showing any symptoms. She wanted to avoid contact with us, just in case.

Thing1 & 2 pitched in washing walls and cleaning the upholstery. Melvin hates the steam cleaner, and had to be put in his kennel with half a kitty tranquilizer. Sweet dreams.

Mr. Stunt signed 6 commercial projects, so no layoffs. We had a small dinner celebration, and he went right back to work.

• Love 11

So just finished Season 3 of Wanted, the Australian series I mentioned.  It gets kind of goofy in Season 3 but still worth watching.

Other Netflix series I would recommend:

• Trapped (Icelandic)
  • The Break (Belgian)
  • Unit 42 (Belgian)
  • Dark (German)
  • Deadwind (Finnish)
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

Another series in the Scandi-noir/British noir genre is Shetland, which has the advantage of gorgeous Scottish scenery and accents. It’s on Netflix and is wonderful.

I found a new series created by Julian Fellowes on Netflix, just released on March 20, called  The English Game. It’s about football (soccer) and how it became a game for the common folk, not just the upper class.

If you like British police procedurals, Line of Duty and Bodyguard are both great choices.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes, but unless I can update my Apple TV box, we don't have that many available--Britbox and Acorn only run on the new Apple TV box. Apple stores and all non-essential stores are required to close by midnight tonight in Toronto. The Canadian Baking Show, not really worth watching.

2 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Another series in the Scandi-noir/British noir genre is Shetland, which has the advantage of gorgeous Scottish scenery and accents. It’s on Netflix and is wonderful.

I found a new series created by Julian Fellowes on Netflix, just released on March 20, called  The English Game. It’s about football (soccer) and how it became a game for the common folk, not just the upper class.

If you like British police procedurals, Line of Duty and Bodyguard are both great choices.

I'm going back to Shetland--I agree it's wonderful. I'll look up the other two procedurals, thanks,

I check TCM daily for things to record. News, I can't watch--it fries my nerves, and I just check for anything related to city or province, then leave it alone.

• Love 6

Coronavirus Task Force Briefing -- March 24, 2020

BB11Bqp1.img?h=449&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Trump Considers Reopening Economy, Over Health Experts’ Objections -- Contagion is waiting to go to a Broadway show and hit the Clearance racks at Macy's

Monday’s dramatic Federal Reserve announcements, explained -- They include big new lending programs. but state and local governments are left out of the party. -- The Fed is going to buy ETFs. The central bank is acting as a buyer of last resort and propping up the bond market in the most efficient manner possible.

Administration agencies steadily push rollbacks as pandemic rages

‘Can’t Even Give It Away’: Gasoline at $1 Is Warning for Economy -- First U.S. city sees sub-$1 pump price as virus hits demand. Nationally, retail gasoline is headed for lowest since 2004.

Congress closing in on nearly $2 trillion virus aid package

CDC says coronavirus survived in Princess Cruise ship cabins for up to 17 days after passengers left -- The coronavirus can survive on surfaces for up to 17 days, a study published Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says. The study examines two public health responses to COVID-19 outbreaks on the Carnival-owned Diamond Princess ship in Japan and the Grand Princess ship in California. The virus “was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated...” the researchers wrote.

The Defense Production Act, the law Trump is using to boost coronavirus supplies, briefly explained -- The invocation will allow the federal government to request that companies make needed medical supplies to treat Covid-19 patients. -- Excuses the Administration for not using the Defense Production Act

What's most troubling about senators' stock sales -- It breaks his oath of office, it's illegal … and he's going to get away with it?

Sen. Rand Paul kept working for six days after virus test -- It's all about me, all evidence to the contrary.

?m=02&d=20200324&t=2&i=1507498248&w=780&

Analiese Zaleski sews hospital masks, as the spread of coronavirus continues, on day one of turning the Detroit Sewn facility into a production facility for hospital masks in Pontiac, Michigan. REUTERS/Rebecca Cook Reuters -- Top Photos of the Day: Tue Mar 24, 2020

Grocers Stopped Stockpiling Food. Then Came Coronavirus.

How grocery stores restock shelves in the age of coronavirus

How not to be a jerk while ordering groceries during a pandemic -- Food and grocery delivery workers explain what online shoppers should do to make their work safer and easier.

COVID-19 lung patterns show few clues for treating pneumonia

Rights groups: coronavirus treatment plan discriminates

Taiwan says WHO ignored its coronavirus questions at start of outbreak

“The virus is more patient than people are”: Obama’s Ebola czar on why the coronavirus is much worse -- Adviser Ron Klain explains why the coronavirus is here to stay — and what that means for us.

Returning troops denied water, bathrooms under quarantine

gettyimages-94502198.jpg?sw=1272&cx=0&cy

We’re not going back to normal -- Social distancing is here to stay for much more than a few weeks. It will upend our way of life, in some ways forever.

Amid virus, humble toilet paper is suddenly a hot commodity

You can help AI predict the spread of coronavirus -- Even if you know nothing about artificial intelligence, you can volunteer to forecast the future of Covid-19.

Elon Musk’s coronavirus journey: A timeline Elon Musk’s reaction to the coronavirus crisis has been, um, less than ideal. -- Like so many insulated by their money and power

Prosecutors in 'cult mom' Lori Vallow's case turn thousands of pieces of evidence -- Including videos of Yellowstone Park trip with her kids before they disappeared, as family tells how her religious beliefs were 'ripped from a Dungeons & Dragons manual'

State athletics body argues it is not subject to Title IX

NOT REAL NEWS: Another week of false coronavirus content

Surprise: Woody Allen’s memoir has come out in the US after all -- Was this in question? -- Weeks after Woody Allen’s old publisher dropped him, he found another. His book is now out.

Google Coronavirus Tips -- March 23, 2020

but Tuesday's just as bad ...

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

I was rewatching Shameless but got to the part I don’t like I might rewatch The OC or One Tree Hill. I feel like I might need the camp or fluff and loved those series. I am with @boes Larry David is an absolute treasure and I love Curb Your Enthusiasm. I think a lot of what he says is right. Like if there’s a long line at the ice cream place you don’t need to sample every flavor and rude seat sitters in planes and movie theaters. 

That’s funny you said you like how I write @jpagan05 I just write what I want to share like I’m talking to y’all I consider us all good friends. People are often surprised when I swear since I guess my voice is so soft and high pitched and I’m “so nice!” or I guess polite so when I call a machine or situation as shitty or fucked up it’s unexpected.  I’ve always been that way as you all have noticed.  

I learned yesterday some of what’s going on, to get into assisted living as a resident or worker you have to pass a lot of tests including a TB test and people either don’t want to since they can be exposed to the current virus in the clinics and/or hospitals or the medical professionals are short from Coronavirus. I really hope strides are made so more lives aren’t lost and more people don’t fall ill. It’s so scary honestly. I don’t want to be exposed because of my jobs residents or mom and also my heart issues. When all is said and done I just want to go back to waitressing fine dining again. That is my niche. I’m honestly missing it and it won’t be the same since I won’t work for the same person or place or clientele. Very few places pay well or a living wage but also have leadership and coworkers who care about each other sincerely. 

• Love 11

I was rewatching Shameless but got to the part I don’t like I might rewatch The OC or One Tree Hill. I feel like I might need the camp or fluff and loved those series. 

Speaking of fluff, I'm back to watching The Gilmore Girls.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

@jpagan -- If the European leg of your trip is still on, I would suggest visiting the London National Gallery (if it reopens for tours) for their Titian exhibit of his classical mythology paintings of Ovid’s “Metamorphoses,” commissioned by King Philip II of Spain. After 400 years, the London show reunites all six masterpieces.

I've seen four of the “Metamorphoses" paintings, Diana and Actaeon, The Death of Actaeon  and Diana and Callisto (National Gallery, London), and Venus and Adonis (Prado). Titian was considered "The Sun Amidst Small Stars" from the Venetian School by his Renaissance contemporaries. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

200324095102-coronavirus-usa-medical-per

WHO: US has potential to be next epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic

The Virus Can Be Stopped, but Only With Harsh Steps, Experts Say

An economic crisis like we’ve never seen -- Annie Lowrey explains what the coronavirus means for the US economy and how we can respond

The coming unemployment catastrophe, in one chart -- Goldman Sachs predicts more than 2 million people could lose their jobs very soon.

Administration says U.S. coronavirus guidance to be re-evaluated after 15-day period ends

Administration wants the country 'opened up and just raring to go by Easter'

Administration says China “should have told us” about coronavirus. The official meant to do that was removed. -- A US epidemiologist was embedded with the Chinese CDC. The Trump administration discontinued the position.

Why we shouldn’t rely on Silicon Valley for face masks -- Tech giants have committed to providing 9 million masks. It’s not nearly enough.

Pelosi urges Trump to tap emergency war powers immediately -- To direct the Administration to Congress before handing over the keys to the kingdom.

From no restaurants to shelter-in-place, here’s what large US states are doing to contain coronavirus

im-168006?width=620&size=1.5

What are the rules of social distancing? We asked an expert. -- To fight coronavirus, we need to change how we live.

Poll: Americans want corporations to promise no layoffs in exchange for bailouts -- Most voters say coronavirus bailouts for American companies need to have some strings attached.

Western supply chains buckle as coronavirus lockdowns spread

National parks ask for social distancing after busy weekend -- The Interior Department waived entrance fees to make it easier to visit parks.

SCOTUS rulings land online, upending tradition -- Because of the coronavirus, the Supreme Court has suspended in-person sessions.

Guests at Trump National Golf Club disco party get coronavirus

How an Upscale Connecticut Party Became a Coronavirus 'Super Spreader'

How an Austrian ski resort helped coronavirus spread across Europe

olympics-canceled-postponed-coronavirus-

The 2020 summer Olympics will be postponed due to coronavirus -- The games will be delayed until 2021.

Why does Russia, population 146 million, have fewer coronavirus cases than Luxembourg? -- Because they're not reporting the infections and deaths?

On Moscow’s Outskirts, A Town Braces For New COVID-19 Hospital

Exclusive: Elite hackers target WHO as coronavirus cyberattacks spike

Why is it so hard to stop touching your face? -- Can you touch your ears? And other face-touching questions, answered.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I've seen Chef's Table, too, which was awesome.  Here in the states, though, there have only been 4 episodes released on Netflix...I've been waiting for more!  Jeong Kwan, who  I am familiar with, was not one of the episodes. 

There are 6 seasons on the US Netflix (I'm here in the states). Jeong Kwan was season 3. I hope you can watch it!

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

In that vein, I also really like Vera with Brenda Blethyn.

She's so great. Did you see "Secrets and Lies"? It's in my top ten favorite movies.

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Speaking of fluff, I'm back to watching The Gilmore Girls.

That is one of my go-to comfort, brain-douche shows. I used to watch it with my mom so it has always been special to me. 

2 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

@jpagan -- If the European leg of your trip is still on, I would suggest visiting the London National Gallery (if it reopens for tours) for their Titian exhibit of his classical mythology paintings of Ovid’s “Metamorphoses,” commissioned by King Philip II of Spain. After 400 years, the London show reunites all six masterpieces.

I've seen four of the “Metamorphoses" paintings, Diana and Actaeon, The Death of Actaeon  and Diana and Callisto (National Gallery, London), and Venus and Adonis (Prado). Titian was considered "The Sun Amidst Small Stars" from the Venetian School by his Renaissance contemporaries. 

Trip is off. I've been in denial. The airline cancelled it and said I could rebook with credit. I spoke to my credit card company to see if we can get cash back. We shall see. I love the National Gallery. I'm lucky enough to have friends in the UK who I can stay with so I used to go a lot when I lived on the east coast. I hope they extend that exhibition as I doubt they will be back open in June. One of my favorite rooms in the Louvre was the Titian room. The size and detail of those paintings were mind boggling. I used to do oil painting and it is so time consuming, I can't even imagine.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Yes, Shetland, Line of Duty and Bodyguard were all good.  Hinterland put me in a coma, but it is another one with great scenery.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

There are 6 seasons on the US Netflix (I'm here in the states). Jeong Kwan was season 3. I hope you can watch it!

Wow....I'm going to look again.  I just looked at this over the past weekend to see if there was anything new on it, though.  I could swear I only saw 4 episodes there. 

Thanks for the heads up

Hmmmmm.........

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 5

Just noticed while watching Better Call Saul (another great series!) that Line of Duty is coming to AMC, so for those of you without Netflix, you can catch it there.

And, I found this pretty funny.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

BB11FDSa.img?h=0&w=720&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f&

Senate, White House reach $2 trillion stimulus deal to blunt coronavirus fallout

Trump Organization businesses barred from getting coronavirus stimulus

House bill would ban stock trading by members of Congress -- Enforce the damned law you already have, Socialist Pinheads!

White House Coronavirus Task Force Briefing -- March 24, 2020

MSN State-by-state coronavirus news -- Global COVID-19 Tracker

Justice Department defends 'emergency powers' request during coronavirus outbreak -- The last Fascist thing the country needs. Enforce the laws that are being broken -- The DOJ doesn't need emergency powers to cope with coronavirus

Administration agencies steadily push rollbacks as pandemic rages

Six days: Tracking Sen. Rand Paul from coronavirus testing to positive diagnosis -- Rules? I don't have to follow any stinkin' rules, and you can suck it; Typical Libertarian behavior.

Testing blunders crippled US response as coronavirus spread

original.jpg

The Coronavirus Will Be another Catastrophe for the Poor -- This pandemic will be especially punishing for low-income workers, just as they were starting to reverse a generation of widening inequality.

‘Do More - Fast. Don’t Wait.’ -- Denmark, which is basically freezing its economy, has a message for America.

Virus spurs unexpected test for US schools: Online learning

Tribes take measures to slow spread of new coronavirus

Bill Gates says we can’t restart the economy soon and simply “ignore that pile of bodies over in the corner" -- Huh. Altruism from Bill Gates.

Why a Tiny Colorado County Can Offer COVID-19 Tests to Every Resident -- There are advantages to having biotech executives as neighbors.

DSC0130-1_1080-598x400.jpg

Young people attended a ‘coronavirus party’ in Kentucky, governor says. At least one reveler is now infected.

Prince Charles tests positive for coronavirus, symptoms 'mild' -- British bookmakers have Chas at 4-1

Loss of smell, taste, might signal pandemic virus infection

Speaking of a loss of taste … ***Naughty works and Ribald Jokes***

New Orleans-area coronavirus cases see alarming spike as governor requests major disaster declaration

Pastor again defies state order not to hold large gatherings. He says 1,000 people came to his church Sunday -- Jesus don't need no sick fools.

People are stocking Little Free Libraries with food and goods during coronavirus pandemic

Museum gives its security chief a new job and his attempts at 'social media management' have people LOLing

20200325023037594.png

Iconic plant’s end spells doom for struggling coal industry

PG&E to plead guilty to lethal crimes in 2018 wildfires

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

fccb3d16ddcaefafd1a89d3d8c4a9eec.jpg

Is FUN!

The 3D Printers have registered with the state as a medical charity (Mr. Stunt's idea) and delivered masks to Alameda nursing homes. Thing2 completed semester assignments and is waiting for finals authorization.

Thing1 & 2 came home last night to make dinner (pizza and salad), while I visited my coronavirus-ill employee with more supplies and to check on her progress. She's recovering, but weak as a kitten; lost 20 pounds and that's put her physical therapy behind. She was so happy to see me, we chatted until she was tired.

I drove to San Bernardino, and stopped at the home of another employee diagnosed with coronavirus and under quarantine in his garage -- We do that in California; sweep the floor, throw down a carpet sample, set up a bed, toss in a Barcalounger, mini fridge, TV … Quarantine, Sweet Quarantine -- His wife and two children are living in the house, separated and hopefully not infected too. I dropped off a boxes of supplies, insurance contacts and updates, with the new Federal coronavirus information. Mrs was astonished to see me.

Back home the Things and Mr.Stunt were kite flying off the roof, noshing on Big Mama's thin crust pizza. 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 12
42 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

fccb3d16ddcaefafd1a89d3d8c4a9eec.jpg

Is FUN!

The 3D Printers have registered with the state as a medical charity (Mr. Stunt's idea) and delivered masks to Alameda nursing homes. Thing2 completed semester assignments and is waiting for finals authorization.

Thing1 & 2 came home last night to make dinner (pizza and salad), while I visited my coronavirus-ill employee with more supplies and to check on her progress. She's recovering, but weak as a kitten; lost 20 pounds and that's put her physical therapy behind. She was so happy to see me, we chatted until she was tired.

I drove to San Bernardino, and stopped at the home of another employee diagnosed with coronavirus and under quarantine in his garage -- We do that in California; sweep the floor, throw down a carpet sample, set up a bed, toss in a Barcalounger, mini fridge, TV … Quarantine, Sweet Quarantine -- His wife and two children are living in the house, separated and hopefully not infected too. I dropped off a boxes of supplies, insurance contacts and updates, with the new Federal coronavirus information. Mrs was astonished to see me.

Back home the Things and Mr.Stunt were kite flying off the roof, noshing on Big Mama's thin crust pizza. 

Cupid Stunt, PLEASE be careful, you and all the Stuntettes, too.  I have no doubt that you're all taking the proper precautions when visiting people and working with others, but make an old man happy and reassure me that you are.  Be safe. I'm sure you are but I'm in a nagging state of mind right now.

And that goes for all of the rest of you preverts, be safe.

One of my much loved cousins is currently self-isolating because she's got a low grade fever and body chills.  She's an oncology nurse - 2 months away from retirement, but she's gone in every day and volunteered for more shifts due to shortages - in Indiana - and now she may be sick.  Her house is big enough to self-quarantine away from her husband, but she was already a little heart sick from not being able to see her grandchildren and now this.....

So folks, keep an old boes happy and stay as safe as you can.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, boes said:

Cupid Stunt, PLEASE be careful, you and all the Stuntettes, too.  I have no doubt that you're all taking the proper precautions when visiting people and working with others, but make an old man happy and reassure me that you are.  Be safe. I'm sure you are but I'm in a nagging state of mind right now.

And that goes for all of the rest of you preverts, be safe.

One of my much loved cousins is currently self-isolating because she's got a low grade fever and body chills.  She's an oncology nurse - 2 months away from retirement, but she's gone in every day and volunteered for more shifts due to shortages - in Indiana - and now she may be sick.  Her house is big enough to self-quarantine away from her husband, but she was already a little heart sick from not being able to see her grandchildren and now this.....

So folks, keep an old boes happy and stay as safe as you can.

Ditto from pearlite!

We don't have the mobility that you do here in Toronto. We're a breath away from being confined to our homes by provincial dictate. We have to basically self-isolate. And I'm still goosy because the increase here is in "community cases," not returning travellers. We're being told not to shop, even in what are called "essential" stores that are still open. And frankly I'm starting to feel antsy about shopping period. One of my local vegetable stores, and we rely on these downtown, is still not using sanitizer on bank touchpads or counters, and they're not wearing gloves or putting out sanitizer on the counter. I just walked farther to another veg store--plexiglass shield, gloves, and cleaner.

I'm continually anxious and worry every time PLL goes for a walk. It's not even nice to go for a walk here because streets are mostly empty except for people trying to figure out how far from you to get.

• Love 3

I'm stressed today guys. 

I got a email forwarded to me from my manager about EI. So I guess that means they won't be paying me at 50% while we're closed. I just hope I can do it all easily online and don't have to go in to a service center to finish applying. 

I heard back from my course and we're supposed to be doing it online now using Zoom. One of the girls doesn't have a computer so I'm not sure how that will work. 

Speaking of the course, I finally opened my books and went over last week's stuff and I'm lost. The homework is confusing me and I'm pretty sure it's wrong. In theory it should be simple, find the code for the procedure on the paper and write it down and the amount. But they're asking for stuff I can't find on the damn paper. Examination codes for mixed teeth, and the filling section is confusing me too, gah.