Type keyword(s) to search

Jeri Hogarth: Would You Want Her as Your Attorney?

She was a big part of my enjoyment of the series as a whole, unscrupulous and conniving as she was.

I'm not familiar with the comics, so learning that her character was originally male was interesting. I wonder if I would have been so drawn to her as a man ... I think maybe not. Part of why I admired her was that she's such a shark despite being a woman. Or maybe it was just the focus and single-minded intelligence that Carrie-Anne Moss brought to the role. I thought she killed it, second only to David Tennant.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'd definitely want Jeri as my attorney. She's a shark with no morals and would sell anyone down the river, but if you're paying her, you're getting your money's worth. She is good at her job, as shown in the last episode, with how quickly she got Jessica out of jail.

I'm guessing she'll be back in season 2, but how much of her personal story will continue, I don't know. She's the sort of morally grey character who would work as a villain just as well as she works as a reluctant ally. And I do think Jeri likes Jessica, as much as she gets annoyed by her. I imagine Jeri respects people who are as strong-willed as Jessica.

• Love 1

I'm rewatching Daredevil right now, and struck by the realization that Carrie-Anne Moss and Wendy Moniz (who played the widow of the guy found dead in Karen Page's apartment) look quite a bit alike! Also, Wendy Moniz is married to Frank Grillo, who plays Brock Rumlow/Crossbones, one of the lead Hydra soldiers in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Edited by Capricasix

She is good at her job, as shown in the last episode, with how quickly she got Jessica out of jail.

I was really impressed by her claim that Kilgrave wanted to commit suicide and used Jessica as a means to an end.  That was incredibly bold.  And then early in the season she set Trish up to be the one defending the mind control concept while she had deniability.  Cool and calculating.  She also has great presence.  I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford her rates.

Would I want her to by my lawyer? I don't know, the character is the kind of interpersonal sociopath I really want out of my life. But I want to see more of the character on TV and hope she's back in some of the other Defenders shows, because this is a riveting performance form Carrie Ann Moss. I really only know her from the Matrix and Memento, so this was really eye opening. I suspect she's a better lawyer than Matt Murdoch. But I was in Dr. Calamity Jane's corner the whole time.

• Love 2

I suspect she's a better lawyer than Matt Murdoch. But I was in Dr. Calamity Jane's corner the whole time.

I loved them both. Dr. Calamity Jane (heh!) had balls and did not back down even after she almost got run over by a subway train. And she knew where to hurt Jeri. And she still displayed a vulnerability about it that made me feel for the downfall of their relationship. There was history and in a way, it made Jeri a more rounded character if Dr Calamity could love someone like that so much and Jeri would be married to someone awesome like that.

I suspect she's a better lawyer than Matt Murdoch.

"Better" has many different possible connotations.

Matt clearly is more inexperienced, having started his practice at the beginning of his series. I'm operating under the assumption that the end of DD is about 6 months before the beginning of JJ, but the two series could actually be contemporary.

Jeri is the lead partner at what is apparently a fairly high-powered firm.

But Matt's enhanced senses would give him a huge edge. Being able to tell when someone's lying, to read a jury beyond what normal humans would be...that'd be unmatchable.

On the other hand, Matt is confined to conventional morality (at least within the courtroom). Whereas there is nothing Jeri would not do to win a case.

I do hope at some point they do end up on opposite sides of a courtroom from one another. 

• Love 1

Would I want her as my lawyer? NO. Yeah, she's so good at her job, that she had to bribe a juror in a case in order to get the verdict to go her way. Yup. No way that would ever had come out, if not for Wendy.

I'd take Matt over Jeri any day of the week.

But then again, I don't find her a morally grey character at all. There aren't any shades. It only appeared that way (to me) because she thought she could use Kilgrave and got fucked over but good, not believing what Jessica was telling her about him.

But that's just me.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Not that it changes whether she is unethical, but IIRC, Jeri bribed someone only on her first case or one of her first cases. Since then, she's apparently developed her skills to the point where she is apparently at the top of her field.

I sometimes wonder if Jeri and the others would have believed Jessica if she had been more forthcoming about her own experience. "Kilgrave can control minds" is a whole different thing than "Kilgrave controlled my mind, raping me repeatedly and forcing me into a sick, twisted relationship with him for a year and I watched him do X horrible things to others."

1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

Damn, her revenge plot was brilliant. And really, she didn't do anything but use the truth and give the gun.

Actually, Jeri lied about Shane two-timing Inez. She claimed to have proof of the other women in a folder, but it was really just the list of pawnshops she'd been checking for her stuff.

Not sure what Jeri would have done if Inez actually wanted to see the proof.

Also, I'm not sure what Jeri does if on getting caught Inez says she got the gun from Jeri.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Also, I'm not sure what Jeri does if on getting caught Inez says she got the gun from Jeri.

I have no idea what the rules are for gun ownership in New York (i.e. would Jeri have had to register a gun she owned?), but I was assuming Jeri would claim that Inez stole the gun from her when she stole everything else.

20 minutes ago, Cheshrkat said:

I have no idea what the rules are for gun ownership in New York (i.e. would Jeri have had to register a gun she owned?), but I was assuming Jeri would claim that Inez stole the gun from her when she stole everything else.

She got the gun from Turk and had a whole conversation with him about it being impossible to trace the gun back to her. If Inez claims Jeri gave her the gun, she's just going to say Inez is lying.

• Love 1
On 3/12/2018 at 1:53 AM, Llywela said:

She got the gun from Turk and had a whole conversation with him about it being impossible to trace the gun back to her. If Inez claims Jeri gave her the gun, she's just going to say Inez is lying.

I feel fairly certain that Hogarth chose Turk not for his nice clean guns but for his used-in-multiple-homicides guns that he claims are clean.

• Love 1