Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: Never Let Me Go

Carter and Elizabeth’s relationship is pushed to the edge when Elizabeth oversteps her bounds just as Lori inches her way into Carter’s life. Meanwhile, Max’s abusive father is up for parole.

Sneak peek:

This show is so dumb. Carter is 17 and she gets to decide she wants to move out?

So now Lori is the good mom & Elizabeth is the crazy?

Let's not forget that Carter has dropped out of high school and is openly working in a bar. And that most of the others seem to regularly hang out in this bar. I'm not talking about the barbeque (which seems to be more of a private party), I'm talking about all the times I've seen Gabe and Ben just hanging out and drinking/getting drunk on a regular night of business.

Is anyone actually raising Bird, or has she just been completely abandoned at this point?

Can't Jared find anyone his own age? Is a 17 year old really his best option? Isn't he concerned about what having a child working in his bar is going to do to         his business?

And Lori, just ugh.

This just might be my last episode of this show. Maybe I really am too old to "get" this show. 

I would miss Max, though. Maybe I'll record the show so I can FF everything except his scenes. Yeah, maybe I'll do that.

Edited by TVForever
  • Love 2

I wish Ben had been at the BBQ, since his perspective on both Jarrod and Lori is VERY different than Carter's. It would have complicated things immensely if he had been there.

Also, I would have liked to see his reaction to Carter coming to stay with Lori. Not that he would have been against it, since he was the one encouraging her to consider it before. But it would have to be strange/difficult for him to actually live with them, since Lori raised Carter but not him. Lori and Carter have a lot of history, and he's got barely any with either of them.

I actually liked how the show handled Elizabeth mourning that she wasn't the one to raise Carter, and Carter not being able to abandon Lori on Lori's birthday. I liked how it emphasized that nobody can change the past -- and how frustrating that is, since the past influences the present so much.

Jarrod is very creepy. It's actually interesting to me that Carter doesn't see how immature and exploitative he is. I guess because Lori is the same way, and Carter grew up thinking that was normal.

I like Max, but I don't really get him. Have we known about this thing with his dad for a long time? Because I didn't remember it at all.

I was pretty pissed off that Elizabeth told Gabe about Max's personal family stuff, though. She really didn't have the right. I guess it turned out for the best, since Max was happy that Gabe came to the parole hearing. But if I were Max, I would have been really angry.

I'm not sure what we've been told about Max's family. I think we've seen his mother before, but I'm not sure. Sadly, all the kids on this show seem to lack any parental guidance whatsoever, so I've probably just assumed some sort of dysfunction, without ever expecting to know specifics.

Max's mom cane to the hospital after Max was shot. Max witnessed his dad almost killing the mother, if I'm remembering correctly. Max did tell Taylor about his past.

I thought Ben was in high school. How can he take time off for a few weeks?

I've never seen so many emancipated teens. I just worry that this show sends the wrong message to teens.

• Love 3

Is anyone actually raising Bird, or has she just been completely abandoned at this point?

Can't Jared find anyone his own age? Is a 17 year old really his best option? Isn't he concerned about what having a child working in his bar is going to do to  his business?

Bird's parents left the country to escape jail didn't they? I guess no one's raising her.  No one's raising Gabe either.....are they both 18? 

I actually thought it was nice that Bird's boyfriend was so concerned about meeting her needs, at least once Taylor said something to him.

Jarred's wife is presumably his own age?

It's so typical of Carter to want to move out when she is reminded that she can't always do whatever she wants while still living with her parents + not of adult age yet.... ::rolls eyes::

Great idea for Jarrod to throw a bbq where Carter's friends who he knows are minors can come together with his friends! Bring on the underage drinking! NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Edited by OrientalAmish

It's so typical of Carter to want to move out when she is reminded that she can't always do whatever she wants while still living with her parents + not of adult age yet.... ::rolls eyes::

The fact that she's still behaving this way is pathetic, but I guess it's par for the course with the other characters as well.

• Love 1

I am still SMH to what makes Carter so enticing to make Jarrod (an adult....Immature, but still an adult) to keep wanting to be with her after there had been already a few opportunities for him to dump her as well as the many obvious red flags why he shouldn't be with her in first place.... It's not like Carter's maturity is way beyond her years.... Ugh

• Love 1

Man, it seems like this show seriously went off the fucking rails. Just reading some of the stuff that happened here...(Carter dropped out of high school, works in a bar, is dating a creeper, some random half brother who magically appeared, Lori somehow isn't locked away in prison for a really really long fucking time). Makes me glad I stopped watching

It all sounds like a hot mess and pure wish fulfillment for teens that love MTV fantasy scenarios.

• Love 5

I really liked the show when it was a drama about a family trying to come to terms with the return of their kidnapped daughter. Like grandemocha said above, it is now just a teen fantasy show. Did we really spend more than one part of the show talking about how supposed teenager Bird wasn't having orgasms with her lovers? I really do not care about the sex lives of teens.

And I dislike Carter now. She actually prefers the company of a woman who drugged and kidnapped her twice, who took a tiny 3 year old girl from her family and caused years of anguish.

I also don't think Lori's cool because she is ok with teenagers drinking and sleeping with 25 year old married men. Of course she is, she's crazy. Even Elizabeth is a way more permissive mom than I am. My 17 year old would not be dropping out of school, drinking every night, working in a bar or dating a 25 year old. I love Taylor, Max and Grant (but I don't want lingering shots of Taylor's sex life either). 

• Love 2

I don't get Carter, even at that age, I don't remember being this dumb.

Elizabeth lets her do so many things that are out of her comfort zone and probably most parents' comfort zones like drop out of school, date an older guy, work at a bar, etc. but still Carter says Elizabeth is "suffocating" her because she checks up on her and wants to know whats going on in her life (like a normal parent).

It's hopeless no matter how Elizabeth allows her to run rampant. When things hit the fan, Carter will just have to learn the hard way.

• Love 3

I don't get Carter, even at that age, I don't remember being this dumb.

Elizabeth lets her do so many things that are out of her comfort zone and probably most parents' comfort zones like drop out of school, date an older guy, work at a bar, etc. but still Carter says Elizabeth is "suffocating" her because she checks up on her and wants to know whats going on in her life (like a normal parent).

It's hopeless no matter how Elizabeth allows her to run rampant. When things hit the fan, Carter will just have to learn the hard way.

Agreed, especially since she's supposed to be a cop mom.

• Love 3

This is history rewritten, Gabe was never interest in Taylor. Taylor was always very interested in him, but he did not reciprocate her feelings. When Carter come back he was interested in her, then when Max came one the scene showing interest in Taylor, Gabe perception changed .

Man, it seems like this show seriously went off the fucking rails. Just reading some of the stuff that happened here...(Carter dropped out of high school, works in a bar, is dating a creeper, some random half brother who magically appeared, Lori somehow isn't locked away in prison for a really really long fucking time). Makes me glad I stopped watching

It all sounds like a hot mess and pure wish fulfillment for teens that love MTV fantasy scenarios.

I took this off the DVR after the first episode this season.  I just remembered it and thought I'd check here to see if I had made a mistake.  After reading about what's been going on I guess no longer watching was a good call.  It's too bad because the original premise had promise.  I'm used to suspending a degree of disbelief when watching TV, but this show went beyond my limits.

• Love 1
Jarrod is very creepy. It's actually interesting to me that Carter doesn't see how immature and exploitative he is. I guess because Lori is the same way, and Carter grew up thinking that was normal.

THIS.

I think Carter considers herself to be super street smart and thinks she should be able to do whatever she wants, rules be damned -- and that's why she's drawn to enablers like Lori and Jared. Lori let her run loose as a kid, and clearly didn't give her any clear boundaries to follow. Likewise, Jared remained involved with her and let her keep her bartending job, despite knowing her true age. Both of his decisions were incredibly stupid, and smacked of a man with no personal or professional integrity, but to Carter, this is swoonworthy stuff, because he ~trusts~ her and lets her do what she wants.

Edited by lavenderpenguin