Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: The Long Goodbye

• Start Topic

A woman named Jada, led to asylum by Sam four years ago, goes missing.

This episode was originally scheduled to be aired on December 7th. The recent attacks in Paris have caused CBS to shuffle their episodes around.

Trey, it looks like this is the episode that was supposed to air on December 7th. I haven't seen an advance copy so I do not know how or if it will affect the storylines we saw in last week's trailer.
  • Love 1

THE Sudan. It's THE Sudan. Having been in Africa, I don't know a single Sudanese who calls it "Sudan." Unless it's South Sudan, but that's its own country.

steps off soapbox

They're leaving the door open for Jada to return. Hmmmmm....

I like that Talia and Kensi are friends now. I know she has Nell, but Talia seems to have more in common with her. Have we ever met any of the "Tiffanys, Ambers, etc." girlfriends that Deeks met?

I cracked up at Deeks trying so hard to be Callen's "guy." HA! 

Poor Growler (? was that his name?). Poor guy lost two Marshalls, got gut shot and lost his witness.

So this was supposed to be the winter finale - i guess to leave us on the cliffhanger of Jada getting on the plane. But the previews showing

Deeks getting arrested seems like a good place to leave us for the holidays. I did *not like the implication of Deeks being arrested for murder and the only thing he can say to Kensi is "I love you." Uhoh.

A thought based on the change of episode order

This episode was supposed to happen after the episode where Deeks is arrested. But in this episode he's there and no one is acting like he just got out of jail or there is anything hanging over them. So it seems like the entire thing will be resolved in next week's episode rather than be something that will drag on after the arrest.

• Love 2

Okay, so I'm a day late watching this (and cranky).  I find it ironic, in the way that sometimes things aren't amusing and sometimes horrifying, that this was deemed a good replacement episode for something that more closely tied to terrorism after the Paris attacks. By this I mean, after the original decision by the network, things shifted to states saying they will deny refugees from certain areas in the world to settle in their states here in the US, cause just "no", we're out.  So, in order to avoid the terrorism, the show aired an episode where it basically said, "see, we shouldn't bring folks here".  I know she was part of a drug cartel, but woh, after reading headlines for a day or so, it made it look like an argument to keep folks out. I know that wasn't intended.

Also, I was annoyed that it was presented that federal marshalls charged with keeping Jada safe would go into a blocked in/one lane space that even I know, as a mere watcher of this show and numerous other shows, was a trap.

Finally, I think Kensi is beautiful, and always has been.  I'd like to remember her more for the first five or so years, where that was just there rather than the last few episodes  Talia and Kensi fought, they've punched, they've snarked, they've worn bikinis together like Charlie's Angel's....that is how female friendships are born....in Hollywood.  Honestly, a bit of respect for the female audience, that was there at the beginning,  would be appreciated. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2

Talia and Kensi fought, they've punched, they've snarked, they've worn bikinis together like Charlie's Angel's....that is how female friendships are born....in Hollywood.  Honestly, a bit of respect for the female audience, that was there at the beginning,  would be appreciated.

Part of me wants to complain that we already did this dance to get Kensi and Talia to a place of understanding and bonding in last season's premiere, and then it was completely forgotten and unacknowledged in episode 2 of this season, only to have basically the exact same relationship development and payoff (even result, with the two of them going out and leaving Deeks behind) in this past episode. And also about the fact that it is ridiculous for Talia to have a different personality in each appearance. But instead, I will assume that the writer of this episode--who also wrote episode 2--saw the backlash against Talia's provocative and juvenile antics earlier this season and responded by writing this much more tolerable version for this episode. And I am very grateful for that. So thank you, Dave Kalstein. All the same, no need to bring Talia back again. 

Another okay to fine-ish episode. Not particularly special, but with cute moments between Callen and Deeks. One thing that bothered me--did Callen and Joelle break up? Last I remember hearing, she was mentioned in episode 4 or so as still being his girlfriend. It was weird to see him flirt with Talia with no acknowledgment of his being recently single. 

I'm a day late watching it as well.  I liked the episode well enough.  Personally I really like it when you see Deeks paired with either Callen or Sam.  Deeks is the same but he brings out something different in Callen and Sam.  And I like him trying to hang out with Callen.

And-

-did Callen and Joelle break up?

I know!  I was wondering the same thing.  Did I miss something?

Sam had the guy Jada's brother hired to stop the transfer saying on tape that her brother was planning to have her tortured to death. Why should she have to take his word for it? He could have played her the damn tape.

Also, if Jada had the phone number of someone who works with her brother, she could have made that transfer from Wisconsin while no-one was watching. This made no sense.

I know this is NCIS: LA and so the characters are not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed but seriously, don't they tape their interrogations?  How hard would it have been to attach a video of the confession from Molina and sending it via phone?!  I am wondering if NCIS: LA didn't want her to stay.  They had the tracker planted on the Molina guy, and the only way he would lead them to the brother was if the sister went back to him.  That might seem more cruel (except if they had a extraction plan in place for the sister) but actually the best tactical plan.  IIRC, there was no sign of  Sam at the end of the episode...in other words, it leaves the possibility that Sam was off to Africa on military transport to meet up with a SEAL team to arrest the warlord brother.

Also, the sister was just dumb, considering the fact the Cartel just shot the Marshal that sacrificed his sterling career to help her leave the country should have been a sign to her that things would not be all peachy back at home.

I was wondering the same thing.  It seemed so obvious.

As mentioned upthread, if she really wanted to go back to Africa, it would have been A LOT easier to do it once she was actually in witness protection because she will be largely unmonitored.

Personally I never got any impression that this episode had any relation to the refugee debate.

Edited by HawaiiTVGuy
  • Love 1

I know this is NCIS: LA and so the characters are not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed but seriously, don't they tape their interrogations?  How hard would it have been to attach a video of the confession from Molina and sending it via phone?!  I am wondering if NCIS: LA didn't want her to stay.  They had the tracker planted on the Molina guy, and the only way he would lead them to the brother was if the sister went back to him.  That might seem more cruel (except if they had a extraction plan in place for the sister) but actually the best tactical plan.  IIRC, there was no sign of  Sam at the end of the episode...in other words, it leaves the possibility that Sam was off to Africa on military transport to meet up with a SEAL team to arrest the warlord brother.

Also, the sister was just dumb, considering the fact the Cartel just shot the Marshal that sacrificed his sterling career to help her leave the country should have been a sign to her that things would not be all peachy back at home.

As mentioned upthread, if she really wanted to go back to Africa, it would have been A LOT easier to do it once she was actually in witness protection because she will be largely unmonitored.

Personally I never got any impression that this episode had any relation to the refugee debate.

Shed - they sometimes call it the boathouse, sometimes the boatshed so very appropo.

And since they always show the interrogation being watched on close circuit by whoever needs to be around, seems like there has to be a handy dandy record button somewhere.

But, you're looking for logic in all the wrong places, looking for logic in pretty faces....

• Love 1

looking for logic in pretty faces....

Since the new show isn't up yet, I'll chime in here.  Daniella is pretty but my GAWD they do go on and on about how hot she is lately, and her mid length hair isn't doing her any favors.  Her nose looks really blocky lately too.  She's got an amazing bod, and personality but c'mon show.

Also Deeks is only sometimes cute - a lot of the time he bears an amazing resemblance to a sock monkey!  Again, tho he's got the personality.

I wonder if Hetty's you never really know anyone was foreshadowing??Probably since it was from the oracle herself :)

• Love 1