Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

Oh this is for a 40 minute initial consultation.  Janelle will help identify my individual health goals. 

This whole thing just flabbergasts me.  Does she expect people to come to Vegas for this?  Is she expecting locals?  I hope she doesn't plan to use herself as an example.  From the website picture, she looks the same as she always has.

Just SMDH.

• Love 5
On 6/7/2018 at 7:05 PM, DakotaJustice said:

I read some of the comments and they're all from sycophants telling her how awesome she is and all that.  Not much of an accountability group.  I don't think she's beating herself up as much as asking for attention and *unearned* pats on the back.  No one has the balls to tell her to suck it up and do the necessary work, not since Trainer Sean.

She clearly needs to hire someone from here!  There are a lot of people on this site that have experience with what she is doing minus the whining.  I am of the opinion do it, don't do it but incessant whining about trying was tired years ago.

On 6/9/2018 at 1:37 PM, Sandy W said:

The side dishes sound appetizing, if not exotic, but why would she pan fry squash/onions and chicken breast.  Oven roasting or grilling may be a healthier alternative.

Because you know Janelle!

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, toodles said:

Oh this is for a 40 minute initial consultation.  Janelle will help identify my individual health goals. 

This whole thing just flabbergasts me.  Does she expect people to come to Vegas for this?  Is she expecting locals?  I hope she doesn't plan to use herself as an example.  From the website picture, she looks the same as she always has.

Just SMDH.

Yeah I am gonna need some proof she has lost a tremendous amount of weight before parting with any of my hard earned money.  I want to hear from actual success stories.  Not from a woman who hides her figure in every post she makes and posts how much she is struggling.  Her whole life is one big Eeyore struggle.  

• Love 10
50 minutes ago, toodles said:

Just SMDH.

Probably all over the phone via FaceTime or Skype. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I like how Axel is trying to topple the rack of clothing right down on top of himself while Gramma and Maddie are busy swindling a fan from Podunk, Iowa into buying a pair of butter-soft leggings with that impossible-to-find demeted glitter chihuahua print.

The baby actually starts shaking the rack before taking the hangers down and running roughshod with them. I've never raised a baby but to me hangers don't seem to be the safest item for a 1 year old to play with. Why don't they have safe toys in there for him? 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

The baby actually starts shaking the rack before taking the hangers down and running roughshod with them. I've never raised a baby but to me hangers don't seem to be the safest item for a 1 year old to play with. Why don't they have safe toys in there for him? 

What was the purpose of Janelle being there? I could understand if she was taking care of Axel in another room.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

What was the purpose of Janelle being there? I could understand if she was taking care of Axel in another room.

She announced a "special guest" prior to the live so Janelle was there to get people to watch.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

She announced a "special guest" prior to the live so Janelle was there to get people to watch.

I’ve never watched a “live”. What view did those participating have? Was it just Janelle and Maddie, or the view with Axel that was posted? 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

What bullshit.  At least with LuLaNo, a buyer gets something to cover their ass.  Ugly as hell, but who cares?  It's from a TeeVee star!

Janelle is trying to emulate someone who has lost the weight and kept it off.  She hasn't done the work, and it looks like she never will!  So why pay her for anything?

It would be interesting to know how many delusional people she suckers into this.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I’ve never watched a “live”. What view did those participating have? Was it just Janelle and Maddie, or the view with Axel that was posted? 

Basically they're using a phone or webcam and hold the clothing items in front of it with a number.  You could see the baby acting typical for his age - i.e. he needs a sitter/playmate/appropriate toys rather than running around with hangers that he could hurt himself with.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Also I wonder if she was actually "starving" or mind hungry? 

I know people nowadays use this word as a way to say they are hungry, but I suspect many people don't understand what it really means. One hasn't eaten in 8 hours, they're now "starving".

Oh, come on. Go on a week or two and I might have some empathy for the use of the word "starving", even though most people could manage as long as they have liquids or small amounts of nibbles (excluding those with medical or other reasons for the "yeah-but-what-about" outlier criers).

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Why don't they have safe toys in there for him? 

Probably because no toy company has offered free stuff in exchange for product placement.  They sure as hell aren't going to pay retail for anything like that.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Again, no hint of protein so she'd be hungry in a couple of hours.  Scramble and egg or something (which is quick) or, better yet, add a piece of fish or chicken.

True.  For you to remain feeling full you need to add some type of protein to any veggies you are eating.   

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I know people nowadays use this word as a way to say they are hungry, but I suspect many people don't understand what it really means. One hasn't eaten in 8 hours, they're now "starving".

Oh, come on. Go on a week or two and I might have some empathy for the use of the word "starving", even though most people could manage as long as they have liquids or small amounts of nibbles (excluding those with medical or other reasons for the "yeah-but-what-about" outlier criers).

I just flashed on the Laura Ingalls Wilder book "Farmer Boy" and remember they ate HUGE meals but they did manual labor all day starting from before sunup.  

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I just flashed on the Laura Ingalls Wilder book "Farmer Boy" and remember they ate HUGE meals but they did manual labor all day starting from before sunup.  

My dad used to help out on his grandparents' farm along with his siblings and cousins and they always ate huge meals. He list all the different stuff they'd eat for breakfast then go out and work until lunch. Which was also tons and tons of food. Then continued working or when over to their uncles' farm and work there. Finish with dinner being just as huge plus tons of different pies. They worked all of it off in between. Then start all over again the next day.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, toodles said:

"The process is fun and is usually fairly satisfying".  Seriously.  That's what this says.  Oh hell no.

Bwahahahahaha!  So let's see how this might go.......

Client: Janelle, I have been trying for five years to lose 25 pounds.  I'm stuck - what should I do?

Janelle: First, choose an exercise that you absolutely despise.  For me, it's anything I have to do vertically.  After you've finished with whatever horrible exercise you've chosen, you will be so frustrated that you'll want to binge an entire 9 x 13 pan of peanut-butter Fritos.  But wait!  When you're starving and angry and hate everything and everyone, that's when you take a nap.  I sometimes take 8 naps a day.  When you wake up, you'll still be frustrated and starving, but that's when you go to your fridge, pull out every soggy, limp vegetable that you rage-bought last week, chop them all up and season with whatever expired spices you have in the cupboard, and throw it all in the oven.  Eat the entire thing.  You'll still be hungry, but at least you ate something healthy.  That's progress!  Please make your $35 check out to "STRIVE with Janelle Brown."  I have to hang up now, it's nap time.

15 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

You guys, do they really still have the fan base to support Maddie and Meri both selling LulaNo?  And don't you find it interesting that, given the decades-long frosty relationship between Meri and Janelle, that it's Maddie who jumped on Meri's bandwagon, and now Janelle has to sit there and pretend to be even mildly interested in all this nonsense?  I find it all so weird, and I cannot believe that these women have enough clientele to make the mortgage payments.

12 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Basically they're using a phone or webcam and hold the clothing items in front of it with a number.  You could see the baby acting typical for his age - i.e. he needs a sitter/playmate/appropriate toys rather than running around with hangers that he could hurt himself with.

I have read several articles on LulaNo, going back a few years when several of my FB friends jumped on the bandwagon and I was curious as to what all the fuss was about.  I still do not understand the process of how a customer purchases anything during these live shows, but the good part is that I no longer care.

• Love 16
17 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

What bullshit.  At least with LuLaNo, a buyer gets something to cover their ass.  Ugly as hell, but who cares?  It's from a TeeVee star!

Janelle is trying to emulate someone who has lost the weight and kept it off.  She hasn't done the work, and it looks like she never will!  So why pay her for anything?

It would be interesting to know how many delusional people she suckers into this.

During Maddie's FB Live the syncophants were gushing to Janelle about how inspiring her weight loss journey is. I can't believe she could just sit there and lap it up.

• Love 5

I'm always confused when Janelle talks about how busy she is. Busy with what? What appointments does she have? What does she do all day? She doesn't have a job, she doesn't cook dinner for her kids, She doesn't clean her house. Please Janelle tell us what you do?  

• Love 15
(edited)
On 6/7/2018 at 11:32 PM, LilWharveyGal said:

If we could magically read her mind, I wonder if we'd find that she really is miserable,  or if she just feels stuck beating this drum because it's her chosen social media/hobby business topic.

If she wanted to be proactive and positive, she could easily have posted about strategies for healthy vacationing. At least 2 blogs that I follow have done articles on how to eat reasonably at Disneyland,  plus there you have the added bonus of walking about a jillion steps a day.

I have to say, if one is thinking about how to eat healthy on vacation, then one is not doing vacations right. Unless it's because of a serious medical condition, life is too short to worry what foods to eat at Disneyland!

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I absolutely LOVED that book!  Also Little House Big Woods.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

I have to say, if one is thinking about how to eat healty on vacation, then one is not doing vacations right. Unless it's because of a serious medical condition, life is too short to worry what foods to eat at Disneyland!

I do agree to a point.  She is the type that uses every happy occasion/celebration to reward herself because she has been doing so well and just one thing won't hurt me.  When I am in serious weight loss mode I do not do cheat days (I am only cheating myself) and if I have an eating plan I do not break it for special occasions.  I make the occasion fit into my life plan.  So a much smaller piece of cake (or none), smaller portions, etc.  I will find a treat that isn't bad and work with that.  It is also helpful to not expect to fly by the seat of your pants but have a plan on how you are going to deal with cravings.  That said, I prob would not pass up a chocolate covered frozen banana at Disney.  But I would count it!  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I absolutely LOVED that book!  Also Little House Big Woods.  

I'm a LIW addict. 

(The books, NOT the show!!)

1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I do agree to a point.  She is the type that uses every happy occasion/celebration to reward herself because she has been doing so well and just one thing won't hurt me.  When I am in serious weight loss mode I do not do cheat days (I am only cheating myself) and if I have an eating plan I do not break it for special occasions.  I make the occasion fit into my life plan.  So a much smaller piece of cake (or none), smaller portions, etc.  I will find a treat that isn't bad and work with that.  It is also helpful to not expect to fly by the seat of your pants but have a plan on how you are going to deal with cravings.  That said, I prob would not pass up a chocolate covered frozen banana at Disney.  But I would count it!  

That's what I do as well. 

Planning and portion control are two things Janelle doesn't do. At all.

She would have been better off having a modest slice of pizza and a big salad instead of all those potatoes.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

DEF63EEA-067B-4AB0-AA42-FA3CAE8242DC.png

I'm pretty sure I work longer hours than Janelle but I still find time to work out at the gym at least 90 minutes per day. 

How do I accomplish this amazing feat?

I wake up early, and I go to bed early.

Of course Janelle has blogged/posted about how much she loves to sleep and watch Netflix and take naps and so forth... obviously that's her job. 

She really has no excuse not to wake up and get to the gym early especially since her one remaining kid without a driver's license is on summer break.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I'm a LIW addict. 

(The books, NOT the show!!)

That's what I do as well. 

Planning and portion control are two things Janelle doesn't do. At all.

She would have been better off having a modest slice of pizza and a big salad instead of all those potatoes.

They really are fun books to read.  But MAN they worked hard!  I totally wanted to do maple candy in snow and get one of Ma's dolls as a gift.  

Exactly!  Pizza isn't a banned food.  A WHOLE pizza is bad but one slice is doable with as you said a big salad.  She is in DIET mode, not sustainable lifestyle mode.  For success they cannot be that different.  You just eat more of the good stuff when you are at goal (something I put to the side the last few years and dammit!  the lbs found me again!).  But down 19 at the moment!  Only 11 more to go.  Whatcha gonna do.  Happens to many.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

They really are fun books to read.  But MAN they worked hard!  I totally wanted to do maple candy in snow and get one of Ma's dolls as a gift.  

Exactly!  Pizza isn't a banned food.  A WHOLE pizza is bad but one slice is doable with as you said a big salad.  She is in DIET mode, not sustainable lifestyle mode.  For success they cannot be that different.  You just eat more of the good stuff when you are at goal (something I put to the side the last few years and dammit!  the lbs found me again!).  But down 19 at the moment!  Only 11 more to go.  Whatcha gonna do.  Happens to many.

You know, the people who put down Weight Watchers as being old fashioned...it's flexible. You get points and you can eat whatever you want within your points.

I've been successfully following IIFYM (if it fits your macros) for years. My nutrition coach sets my daily macro limits (protein/fat/carb grams) depending on my personal goals and I just track what I eat via My Fitness Pal.  

But Janelle doesn't want to measure or track. She's got an all or nothing mindset and also doesn't want to know how much she's actually eating. She blew off Sean's nutritionist, and shortly thereafter blew off Sean after she stopped losing weight. 

• Love 2

That's one thing I learned at Weight Watchers.  NO food is off-limits, but it's very important to watch portion size.

Janelle doesn't want to take the steps necessary to be successful.  She needs structure, and won't bother with that.  Half-assed once-in-awhile stabs at eating well won't do it.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

You know, the people who put down Weight Watchers as being old fashioned...it's flexible. You get points and you can eat whatever you want within your points.

I've been successfully following IIFYM (if it fits your macros) for years. My nutrition coach sets my daily macro limits (protein/fat/carb grams) depending on my personal goals and I just track what I eat via My Fitness Pal.  

But Janelle doesn't want to measure or track. She's got an all or nothing mindset and also doesn't want to know how much she's actually eating. She blew off Sean's nutritionist, and shortly thereafter blew off Sean after she stopped losing weight. 

I don't get it.  Whatever works, that is realistic to stick to, that is what you want.  WW works for ME because its easy for ME.  But it may not be for everyone.  Its important to me to have real food I make and it sounds like you eat real stuff with parameters set for you.  Clearly she has not found anything workable for her yet.  I think she is waiting for a magic pill that makes her thin when she wakes up from her naps.

• Love 4
(edited)

I know I've read somewhere here before, that Janelle sounds like some of the My 600 Pound Life participants.  "I can do it my way, I know what to do to be successful," etc.  

There's only so much delusion one can go through, before it sounds like bullshit.  It took 3 times for me with WW for it to sink in, the changes in one's lifestyle need to be permanent.  There's flexibility, but whatever one does, it adds up.  Eating less (of empty calories, fats, empty carbs), eating sufficient amounts of protein, and eating more fiber (vegetables, fruit, fresh things) and moving more, will work.  It takes time, but it took years for you to reach 200+ lbs.  

Janelle, you are pushing 50.  Don't wait until you're pushing 60 (like I did) for making changes that you know need to be made in your lifestyle.  If you're trying to make $ from your fan base, at least be credible.

Edited by xwordfanatik
trying to be precise, hey, I'm old :)
  • Love 11

Janelle's kids look like they shower regularly, Caleb looks like he smells bad and that cap would have to come off at my table, same goes for Mariah's beat up fedora.  

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

...that cap would have to come off at my table, same goes for Mariah's beat up fedora.  

That was my thought as well.  What ever happened to the "hats off at the table" rule?   

And you kids stay off of my lawn...

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Logan looks weird, Doofus is ponied just the way Janelle likes, Gabriel's kinda cute, Caleb and Mariah look goofy (the hats don't help.)

And keep your dog off my lawn, too.

What's that gizmo behind Mariah?

With the Doofus ponytail, he's looking more like Willie Nelson than Keith Urban.  

Meri took Janelle on one of her Hobby Lobby shopping trips and when she spied the gizmo, she immediately thought of the tangled branches of their family tree and just had to have it.

Shaking Cane...get off my lawn too!

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I don't get it.  Whatever works, that is realistic to stick to, that is what you want.  WW works for ME because its easy for ME.  But it may not be for everyone.  Its important to me to have real food I make and it sounds like you eat real stuff with parameters set for you.  Clearly she has not found anything workable for her yet.  I think she is waiting for a magic pill that makes her thin when she wakes up from her naps.

It sure does seem like she is making things way too complicated. Maybe she is trying to draw in the crunchy granola types with all these weird snacks and meals. What's wrong a with a nice piece of chicken or fish and some vegetables? Granted, that can get boring, but there are seasonings and lower-fat sauces and marinades that can spice things up and taste great. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Janelle's kids look like they shower regularly, Caleb looks like he smells bad and that cap would have to come off at my table, same goes for Mariah's beat up fedora.  

Indeed!  I do not want this to sound mean or anything but am I the only one thinking this family has not been good for Audrey's waistline?  Maybe that is just new love weight.  Happens to a lot of people.

47 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

With the Doofus ponytail, he's looking more like Willie Nelson than Keith Urban.  

Meri took Janelle on one of her Hobby Lobby shopping trips and when she spied the gizmo, she immediately thought of the tangled branches of their family tree and just had to have it.

Shaking Cane...get off my lawn too!

HOW DARE YOU insult Willie that way!!!!!  HA!  

Once you get off Sandy's lawn don't you EVEN think about getting on mine!

• Love 5

That's a nice family picture. Some of them are just smiling goofily. 

As for hats indoors, baseball caps have become sort of a gray area (I know guys who never take them off), but Mariah's hat is a bit much. 

I think it's nice that Audrey and Mariah are eating at Janelle's - I sometimes wonder how much interaction there is between the households. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

It sure does seem like she is making things way too complicated. Maybe she is trying to draw in the crunchy granola types with all these weird snacks and meals. What's wrong a with a nice piece of chicken or fish and some vegetables? Granted, that can get boring, but there are seasonings and lower-fat sauces and marinades that can spice things up and taste great. 

Exactly!  It isn't rocket science and she hurts herself making it so much harder than it has to be.  Putting it into practice is more difficult (who doesn't know that struggle???) with bad habits and all that but if this is what she wants to do as a JOB, do it.  If she put as much effort into her real jobs pre SW's as she does her STRIVE health coach biz  I would have fired her ass quite quickly.  She would not have made it through probation.  THAT is the problem.  She isn't unique in her struggles.  What set her apart is she is taking about 3 suckers hard earned money as a coach when she doesn't know jack.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I just think she's posting all this crap not to be helpful as much as grandstanding and for affirmation/Pat on the back. 

If she really wanted to be helpful and really wanted to make permanent lifestyle changes she'd have done/posted something like this: 

"Tonight I was helping my daughter in her online business; afterwards, I returned home to find that my kids had sent out for pizza. Since I hadn't eaten for some hours, the sight and aroma of the pizza was irresistible to me! 

I know in the past, when I've deprived myself of something I'm craving, I end up obsessing and ultimately bingeing, regretting it later. 

This time, I was prepared: I had a bag of salad mix in the fridge that I'd picked up at Costco. I made myself a big, delicious kale salad, using only half the dressing packet that came in the kit, mixing it with some balsamic vinegar I found at the farmers market. 

With the salad, I allowed myself a slice of pizza. Just one! My boys happily polished off the rest of the pizza (no leftovers to tempt me later).

It felt so good to be able to sit and enjoy pizza with my family instead of feeling like a social outcast."

• Love 9
12 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Three of them are sitting as if they have been in prison. I will leave the other comments to those with better observational skills!

And an industrial sized jug of Ranch Dressing as the sole condiment on the table...

• Love 6
On 6/13/2018 at 1:46 PM, Natalie68 said:

Yeah, she seems all over the board with her food posts, like she's trying too hard to appeal to everyone. She still hasn't figured out what will work for HER. Thing is, she's had more than enough time. Her whole endeavor is a joke, especially since she's made a "business" of it. 

And I agree with what works for the individual. I do best on a vegetarian, low sugar plan--not for everyone, but works for me. 

• Love 7

I'm not sure what she's supposed to be aiming for with these fuzzy, close up pictures.  You can't ID any of the foods except maybe the lettuce. I don't have any idea what the white glop is.  And is that spaghetti with sauce at the bottom?

I give.

• Love 5
(edited)

Looks like romaine , which has hardly any nutritional value, but is better than I iceberg. I believe what looks like spaghetti , is probably a vegetable she used her handy dandy spiralizer on. No clue what’s on top, cottage cheese?

She says hers is an alternative, but doesn’t bother to mention what she replaced anything she eliminated  with.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 5

Quote from Janelle: "I swear I'm not advertising for anyone (even apple cider vinegar or whatever craziness you guys have been telling me about)."

That speaks volumes. First, it tells me that Janelle, after over a year, still doesn't not have a base knowledge for nutrition or for cooking. ACV has been a common ingredient in many kitchens for many years.  When did it become "craziness"?  And how does she think she has enough star power to thinks she's "advertising" for something?

I don't think she understand/realizes how uninformed and ignorant this makes her look. 

• Love 6