Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

What exactly is Oliver's story? Beat the villain for the fourth year in a row?

Maybe how he spent 5 episodes systematically repairing his relationships with the people in his life because he wants to be Oliver and not just the Green Arrow? How he's running for mayor and going to try to improve Star City in the light of day rather than just as a vigilante? How he's learning to fit in on a team where he's not the leader anymore?

• Love 14

Maybe how he spent 5 episodes systematically repairing his relationships with the people in his life because he wants to be Oliver and not just the Green Arrow? How he's running for mayor and going to try to improve Star City in the light of day rather than just as a vigilante? How he's learning to fit in on a team where he's not the leader anymore?

You should probably save your keystrokes. Pointless, repetitive argument is pointless and repetitive. ;)

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 7

You should probably save your keystrokes. Pointless, repetitive argument is pointless and repetitive. ;)

I usually know better, but sometimes I can't help it when the answer is so obvious. :P

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2

It seems like whenever someone argues that for 4 years now LL's "story" has been her sister, someone comes up behind and starts to compare Oliver's stories and others to her like somehow she's better. Fact is every single season LL's story has been her sister. That's all.

• Love 3

It seems like whenever someone argues that for 4 years now LL's "story" has been her sister, someone comes up behind and starts to compare Oliver's stories and others to her like somehow she's better. Fact is every single season LL's story has been her sister. That's all.

I really think it's simply a function of setting up a show in which such a huge comic book character was not the lead character.  I'm on the record as loving Sara, and also thinking that even she doesn't have a place as a regular post-S2.  She'd be awesome as a recurring, with Nyssa, for major villains, but whether it's Sara or DLL, the Black Canary does not fit in a tv show about the Green Arrow's origin story.  It's just made worse since LL failed as an LI.

• Love 14

Ah so his story is the relationships with other characters. Just like Laurels is with her family and getting those back on track. Yet somehow that's boring but Olivers isn't

The show is called "Arrow". I'm invested in Oliver's journey and his relationships because the show is supposed to be about him. I don't give a damn about Laurel, who has had no narrative role in his story since the end of season 1 and is only still kicking around the show because her name is the same as a character in the comics.

And oh yeah, since this plot point was mentioned twice:

How he's running for mayor and going to try to improve Star City in the light of day rather than just as a vigilante?

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 13

Ah so his story is the relationships with other characters. Just like Laurels is with her family and getting those back on track. Yet somehow that's boring but Olivers isn't

You find Laurel's story with her family interesting. Others don't. So what? No need to make assumptions or make judgements here. 

I just think both stories are vastly different and which is why there's a difference of opinion between Laurel and Oliver's interactions with other characters. IMO Laurel's interactions often lead to character regression which is why I can't stand her drama. At least Oliver's interactions tend to be healthier and leads to character improvement. He learns from his mistakes and faces the consequences of them, Laurel doesn't which is where the source of my frustration is. 

Not to mention I never cared about Laurel ever since season 1. So it's fair to be frustrated that there's been a lot of Lance drama on this show. ALmost the same amount (if not more) than the Queen drama.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 17

Though Sara hasn't been Laurel's only story, Sara is a big part of Laurel's identity on the show. Sara's decision has really shaped Laurel's life. The issue I have is while that is true they haven't really been open and honest with each other in an intimate way. Yelling and over praising but nothing raw. That is what is missing and I wish we will get that from them but Sara's leaving and they aren't going to get a lot of screen time. I wish They would air out everything from the Party, the boat cheating, the melodrama angst of Sara's return being all about Laurel's addiction, the jacket nonsense and the SWF Laurel did to become Black Canary and the going against advice to resurrect Sara. And almost of of Season 3 and 4a Laurel's story has been about Sara or Sara's affect on her.

Plus Sara will suffer consequence she has to live with. And Laurel will continue to lose people but power on. And it will be played as if she's growing from it but really she seems to be hiding behind the mask instead of owning the fact that her choices have played a factor in the pain of others. Laurel needs to be honest with herself and then next time not do the stupid. But will the writers let that happen? No because Laurel's journey isn't important to Oliver and time is limited. It has to be about how these things affect the people who actually do affect Oliver.

I sometimes think if only Sara would have been the sister Oliver dated and Dinah the one he cheated with and was lost at sea. Things would have been different. Laurel's reactions and everything would fit more for a character not destined to become Black Canary.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 10

You find Laurel's story with her family interesting. Others don't. So what? No need to make assumptions or make judgements here. 

I just think both stories are vastly different and which is why there's a difference of opinion between Laurel and Oliver's interactions with other characters. IMO Laurel's interactions often lead to character regression which is why I can't stand her drama. At least Oliver's interactions tend to be healthier and leads to character improvement. He learns from his mistakes and faces the consequences of them, Laurel doesn't which is where the source of my frustration is. 

Not to mention I never cared about Laurel ever since season 1. So it's fair to be frustrated that there's been a lot of Lance drama on this show. ALmost the same amount (if not more) than the Queen drama.

There seems to be this idea, that I do not understand, that the people who hate LL or Palmer or Felicity or whoever, first made some kind of bizarre arbitrary choice to hate them, and therefore hate everything they do.  I personally find that to be such a bizarre thought process.  I hate Laurel and Quentin and Palmer BECAUSE of who they are and have been ON THE SHOW.  I didn't decide to hate them first and be annoyed by their actions second.  I hate them BECAUSE of their annoying-ass actions, and because I find them to be absolutely terrible people and insanely inconsistent characters.  I was neutral to positive on all three actors prior to their appearances on the show (I loved KC as Ruby, and I loved PB as that warlock guy and still think he's overall a pretty good actor, although IMO Quentin can legit die in a fire).  So I don't understand why all my opinions are undermined as, well, you just hate them.  Dude, seriously, I hate them BECAUSE of who they are on the show.  

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 18

Here's a comparison that I have been drawn to, being a fan of both Daredevil and Arrow.  Both show titles are based on the main character - the hero (or, antihero, depending on the episode).  Daredevil spent a LOT of time, perhaps even equal in some cases, showing the audience the story of the main villain, complete with kid flashbacks.  The only phase we saw of Matt that we didn't see of Fisk was the early 20s/college years.  Otherwise, there was a parallel.

And, for Daredevil, it worked to have Fisk's story so richly developed because the show did a great job, IMO, of showing just how simliar the 2 characters were.  By the end, they helped define the other's destiny, too. 

Arrow has not delved into it's villains with the same dilligence. Only Malcolm has been afforded backstory that has a lot of weight to it.  Yet he's rather the ambiguous villain.  Deathstroke/Slade is still the most menacing villain the show has had so far, I think.  And we know little about him, really.  Perhaps Damien will be shown to us with more layers and history?  I'm hopeful that will be the case, especially as Oliver has turned a major corner is his own development to fully embrace both sides of his life.  Will Damien upset Oliver's peace and resolve?  If the story is done well, I think that's what could happen.  And I hope it certainly tests this new and improved Oliver.

Bottom line for me is that character development for the title character is and should be the focus.  Supporting characters, even if they have different roles in the comics that the shows are based on, are not the focus. They can have their moments, of course, but I believe that most stories should connect in some way to the hero. 

As strong of a characterization as Fisk's was on Daredevil, it all came down to Murdoch at the end.  THAT's how you handle it.

Laurel's story has been muddled with from the beginning, IMO.  As a long time fan of Black Canary, I have not enjoyed her journey at all.  There was an icky start out of the gate because of Sara and Oliver that I felt would be hard to bring the character past AND still have a healthy relationship with Oliver. 

Going forward, it still seems like Laurel's journey is a mess.  Every decision she's made this season has been about her sister and, to a small extent, her father.  I think her motivations have been deeply rooted in her own emotional pit yet what we're seeing on screen are the results (Sara's condition), not the process.  Perhaps that's because her decisions have been so rashly made, I don't know. 

So after 3+ years, I'm done with waiting for Laurel to have a story that is hers yet still connects, organically, to the hero's.  From the sounds of what's coming, I don't think that will improve things.

These are all my personal opinions and I certainly expect others to feel differently.

• Love 9

The problem is this LoT set-up. There's no time for the Arrow characters until the cross-over is done. Then there's only one episode before the hiatus.

Laurel needs her own storyline but they spent so much time on her last season and in this LoT set-up, I'm really hoping it's Diggle's and Felicity's turns.

I don't find Laurel's story boring so much as it makes we want to bang my head on the desk.  Part of the problem is that unlike Oliver, Thea, Felicity and hopefully Diggle this season, she doesn't seem to grow and develop, she's just stayed the same..

I wonder what would have happened if JR Ramirez had stayed on the show so Laurel could have had a relationship that wasn't about her family.  Since this season it's about her family again, I really don't think they know how to write for the character except in connection with her family.  I don't understand why they won't give her an outside story like Sara has the LoA.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4

Laurel really needs a love interest.  I am an actual RL strong independent woman.  I'm a lawyer, I'm single, I own a house, etc.  And I am boring as hell.  She doesn't need a love interest because she's not a strong independent woman, she needs a love interest to show a different side of her, soften her up, tell a newer story with her, etc.  I thought the boxer guy was a casting fail, bc I thought he was gross and smarmy and didn't seem tough, but stick her with someone with whom KC has been extensively chem-tested and let them roll.  I really don't understand why Thea's getting an LI and Laurel's not.

Really, Thea's getting a love interest, DONNA's getting an Arrow love interest, but Laurel, the second lead, has had a real love interest since Tommy died?  A few dates with Blood and a casual dinner with shiny boxer guy don't count.  

Re 4.11, AWOL is a military term, so while it could have double meanings (maybe Oliver on the island, it's military-ish), I'm going to guess it's Digg and Andy heavy.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 2

Maybe Dig's story will be a trilogy from 4.11, 4.12 and 4.13? That would be awesome! (Don't get your hopes up, don't get your hopes up, don't get your hopes up...)

Even though it was met with mixed results last year, I think it's smart for the EPs to try to give their lead a break where they can.

• Love 6

I'd be happy with three Dig-centric eps, but...I'd want them to be Dig/Oliver-centric, because that's the most important Diggle relationship on the show for me. I would want Oliver there supporting him through whatever is happening. But I doubt they're going to do something like the Canary Trilogy--ahem, I mean the Team Arrow minus Oliver trilogy!--again, or at least not so explicitly.

• Love 8

Maybe Dig's story will be a trilogy from 4.11, 4.12 and 4.13? That would be awesome! (Don't get your hopes up, don't get your hopes up, don't get your hopes up...)

Even though it was met with mixed results last year, I think it's smart for the EPs to try to give their lead a break where they can.

Anything to skip the traditional post winter hiatus Laurel heavy episodes.  We've already had them this year.  Give someone else a chance. 

• Love 14

I'd be happy with three Dig-centric eps, but...I'd want them to be Dig/Oliver-centric, because that's the most important Diggle relationship on the show for me. I would want Oliver there supporting him through whatever is happening. But I doubt they're going to do something like the Canary Trilogy--ahem, I mean the Team Arrow minus Oliver trilogy!--again, or at least not so explicitly.

I'd want them to be Dig/Oliver/Felicity centric cause of the OTA feels

• Love 7

The new pictures look like Felicity is pulling all-nighters to get Ray back pumped up on Curtis' energy drinks and Oliver has come to take her back home. Awwwww.

I am so ready to see this scene/episode. Cause there are energy drink cans every where, her hair is a bit messy, and Curtis is looking at Felicity like "didn't you tell me not to even mention energy drink at work and you have how many empty cans?", but Oliver coming to get his woman cause he's probably a little bit worried (ok probably a lot worried) and  Curtis doing the whole "hey you know you look like...." is probably going to be hilarious scenes in the episode. 

• Love 1

I love the idea of a Diggle trilogy after the winter hiatus. That sounds awesome. Probably means it won't happen though. LMAO. I'm hoping that Diggle's story will run throughout the whole season though, especially because it's so wrapped up in HIVE. This has the potential to be so great, not only for Diggle (and DR) but also for Oliver to be the supportive friend to him for a change. This could really strengthen their relationship again, if done right. 

Ray bought QC because he wanted the OMAC blueprints, which Felicity got for him or else.....He used QC money to acquire that mine where he thought he could find a dawrf star. Was that stalker move with the necklace and dress also on QC money? 

100% agree with you, he only cared about the ATOM suit, the one Felicity more than helped him get, or else....

Yet Felicity is doing a terrible job with a company that was probably already in trouble at the hands of Ray......sure Jen! 

I'm confused... were you saying that I was placing the blame on FS for PT doing bad because she is doing a terrible job? Because honestly the company has been doing horrible since Walter left the company in s1. I honestly don't know how FS is doing managing the company because the writers do not really show her doing much running of the company. Besides boring me and probably having tons of erroneous business logic, I don't think the writers have a clue what they are doing with any of the CEOcharacter plots. My previous point was simply that FS actually seemed to care about the company and the people who worked there. Where RP & OQ were distracted by other things. Hence why her being the CEO makes sense, even if it is boring and poorly written/executed IMO. But its gives the SmartOne something to do and provides a continuous stream of cash to TA.

The CEOcharacters are probably actually the worst of their for plot fill up time & exposition strategy arcs. I'm not saying their courtroom, cop precinct or hospital scenes are much better or more accurate, but at least they are more exciting. There is actual real life drama to be observed. Watching somebody run a company is actually really boring. Watching people have dramatic discussions with a nameless board is actually not that exciting. And the only drama the CEOplot can bring is the company is tanking, let's steal the company or let's have a random merger. I feel like in s1 it was not that boring because 1. it actually was involved in the Undertaking and 2. most of it was left to the parental figures in the periphery. Part of me sort hopes that by the end of this season FS resigns as actual CEO and takes more of figurehead CEO position, but keeps all the stock options & real estate. Let an actual CFO run the company offscreen and make the Queen-Smoak money for them. Hire a good CFO that just makes bank and keeps the company secure & prosperous. Let FS get back to doing something a little more entertaining. Perhaps more inventing or something else under her company's umbrella.

• Love 1

Laurel really needs a love interest.  I am an actual RL strong independent woman.  I'm a lawyer, I'm single, I own a house, etc.  And I am boring as hell.  She doesn't need a love interest because she's not a strong independent woman, she needs a love interest to show a different side of her, soften her up, tell a newer story with her, etc.  I thought the boxer guy was a casting fail, bc I thought he was gross and smarmy and didn't seem tough, but stick her with someone with whom KC has been extensively chem-tested and let them roll.  I really don't understand why Thea's getting an LI and Laurel's not.

Really, Thea's getting a love interest, DONNA's getting an Arrow love interest, but Laurel, the second lead, has had a real love interest since Tommy died?  A few dates with Blood and a casual dinner with shiny boxer guy don't count.  

Re 4.11, AWOL is a military term, so while it could have double meanings (maybe Oliver on the island, it's military-ish), I'm going to guess it's Digg and Andy heavy.

She only needs a LI if they are keeping her around. I know where you stand on which Lance is 6 ft under :) - but truly if they are done with LL then why bother wasting the money & time on getting her laid?  Her lack of LI for me is one more nail in her coffin. But we'll find out soon enough.

BTW - Totally agree with you about why she needs a LI, as a fellow RL independent woman.

• Love 2

Great IDEA! I think it met with mixed results do to execution. If OQ had stayed "dead" a little longer at least I would have felt the tension, instead it really fell flat because we knew it was only a matter of time before he returned.

I feel like they could master the Team ARROW minus Dig instead. The TA minus O didn't work for many reasons on many different levels. But TA minus Dig could be genius if they put Dig undercover at HIVE. It's the perfect & most logical way to separate him from TA that keeps the action, the plot and the character development going. Dig infiltrating enemy lines would work. It could even be organically paralleled in the flashbacks with OQ infiltrating bad island group. The potential for an amazing intra-s4 trilogy is there. Unlike s3, where OQ chilling on a mountaintop sipping teas and waxing philosophical while a newbie hero earns her participation ribbon does not make for a good show.

I'm sure they could do that, but it would just create the same problem for me, which is that if there are Dig-centric episodes, then I want the team surrounding him. I specifically want Oliver there, but Felicity and the others too. I think sending Dig off on his own mission sidelines him, in effect, because it will still feel like whatever's going on with the rest of the team is the A plot. Anyway, not really worth debating at this point, I suppose.

• Love 4

I'm confused... were you saying that I was placing the blame on FS for PT doing bad because she is doing a terrible job? Because honestly the company has been doing horrible since Walter left the company in s1. I honestly don't know how FS is doing managing the company because the writers do not really show her doing much running of the company. Besides boring me and probably having tons of erroneous business logic, I don't think the writers have a clue what they are doing with any of the CEOcharacter plots. My previous point was simply that FS actually seemed to care about the company and the people who worked there. Where RP & OQ were distracted by other things. Hence why her being the CEO makes sense, even if it is boring and poorly written/executed IMO. But its gives the SmartOne something to do and provides a continuous stream of cash to TA.

The CEOcharacters are probably actually the worst of their for plot fill up time & exposition strategy arcs. I'm not saying their courtroom, cop precinct or hospital scenes are much better or more accurate, but at least they are more exciting. There is actual real life drama to be observed. Watching somebody run a company is actually really boring. Watching people have dramatic discussions with a nameless board is actually not that exciting. And the only drama the CEOplot can bring is the company is tanking, let's steal the company or let's have a random merger. I feel like in s1 it was not that boring because 1. it actually was involved in the Undertaking and 2. most of it was left to the parental figures in the periphery. Part of me sort hopes that by the end of this season FS resigns as actual CEO and takes more of figurehead CEO position, but keeps all the stock options & real estate. Let an actual CFO run the company offscreen and make the Queen-Smoak money for them. Hire a good CFO that just makes bank and keeps the company secure & prosperous. Let FS get back to doing something a little more entertaining. Perhaps more inventing or something else under her company's umbrella.

I wasn't trying to say you did such thing, i made the mistake of waiting to reply to your post directly to say i agreed with you, while replying indirectly to another poster that said Felicity was doing a terrible job with QC/PT, i apologize if i confused you :) 

• Love 2

I'm sure they could do that, but it would just create the same problem for me, which is that if there are Dig-centric episodes, then I want the team surrounding him. I specifically want Oliver there, but Felicity and the others too. I think sending Dig off on his own mission sidelines him, in effect, because it will still feel like whatever's going on with the rest of the team is the A plot. Anyway, not really worth debating at this point, I suppose.

You're right no sense in debating it. And I totally see your viewpoint. :) But just so people don't think I want Dig sequestered onto an Island. I do want Dig to be supported by his team to & I want it to be the A plot. For me it would be more like the Russia mission only on a bigger and larger scale. I also think that undercover work is kinda cool and you can't have a whole team undercover. Plus I think OQ mayoral run is going to be boring very soon; so anything that can bring some character driven action like undercover work is a welcomed change of pace. How many events & offices can we see ruined or broken into week after week?

I wasn't trying to say you did such thing, i made the mistake of waiting to reply to your post directly to say i agreed with you, while replying indirectly to another poster that said Felicity was doing a terrible job with QC/PT, i apologize if i confused you :) 

No problem.... I can easily be confused :)

• Love 1

That's who they could be facing off against.  Not in a fight but it looks like they're just watching so ATOM/White Canary could be approaching them to meet up?

Hmm, Oliver tossed his bow down and Flash is wearing some weird gloves.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Well, at least Diggle is there. I'm pleased about that. I was worried it would be a 'comics only' kind of scenario. 

Edit: What's GG/Flash wearing on his hands?

Edited by Guest

It doesn't do anything for me either. It actually makes me less excited about the crossover than I was before.

What made last year's crossover so great for me was putting together the hero support teams and seeing them interact. Felicity and Caitlyn, Cisco goofing around in the Arrow cave, Lyla reacting to Barry. Maybe there will be some of that this year too, but I doubt it. Not when there are so many masks that need screentime.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 14

It doesn't make me more or less excited, but it does make me realize how completely ridiculous these shows are. I mean in a fun way, like...I know this is supposed to induce nerdgasm (and I know it does for some people), but look at all those goobs in their masks and leather. It's amazing. 

I'd like to know why Barry is wearing those goofy gloves, and why Oliver's bow is on the floor. I'm intrigued!

• Love 3

It works for me and it doesn't at the same time. The 12 year old CB reader that still lives in me thinks it's awesome, the grown up want's to laugh because is divided between thinking it's an Halloween party or bad cosplay, and i do laugh :) 

Edited by Balaclava
  • Love 3

I feel like someone needs to come up to the group and ask if this is a cosplay contest or a leather kink sex party.

But what's that thing on the floor in front of Oliver? A gun?

Antonio Negret
‏@antonionegret

A lot of people have asked for 3 words to describe #Arrow406  - FUNNY (I'm hoping), TENSE (I'm Sorry), and SEXY (I'm Not Sorry) #Arrow #Soon

https://twitter.com/antonionegret/statuses/664117531410583552

• Love 10