Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I'm going to put this out there as a semi-serious theory for the scene in 312. Since he talked about Felicity's scene at the end of the episode, what if we find out Felicity has joined "the Dark Side"? Like she tells Oliver to f*ck off and then they show her meeting/talking to someone *evil*? LOL

Edited by looptab

I know we always says that MG always misses the mark when trying to gauge fan reaction to upcoming scenes. However has he ever made the kind of comment he is currently making for 3x14 (ie fans will be mad and he'll have to be off Twitter for a while?).

I don't believe he has made such a comment before. And in this scenario I think whatever happens in 3x14 is really bad for Olicity. My opinion of course. :(

He said that about 312. He said Felicity has a scene that "Will Break the internet" in 314. UGH I feel sorry for EBR if the scene is what I fear it is. She'll be attacked by so called real fans of Felicity

I thought the "we chart our own course" was his response to assertions that they plan story arcs and ships based on fan reactions/to cater to fans. I don't think it's any indication that they're moving away from Olicity.

This is the second time MG's used that phrase.  This time he said it in the context of the Oliver & Felicity relationship:

AX: Does social media influence story and character choices you do on the series? For example, Felicity on ARROW has become much more important on ARROW and even THE FLASH, at the same time that she’s been embraced by the fans …

GUGGENHEIM:  [he first talks about Felicity, the natural chemistry between SA and EBR, and Team Arrow].... It’s great that the fans on Twitter, to finally circle back around to your question, the fans on Twitter have embraced that relationship, but we sort of chart our own course.  [then he talks about how fans will not be happy about 312 and its O/F scene]

Edited by tv echo

This is the second time MG's used that phrase.  This time he said it in response to a question about the Oliver & Felicity relationship:

Yeah, but didn't he say that previously about Oliver and Felicity's relationship as well? I really don't think that's anything to be concerned about, honestly. All he's saying is that fans don't dictate their story choices - he hammered it home by saying that those fans aren't going to be too happy with him for a bit, so...IMO he's not saying anything he hasn't said before. They're doing what they think is right for the story and aren't being influenced by or "pandering" to the ship. Then he's like, 'See what I'm saying? We're about to really piss them off!'

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

I know we always say that MG always misses the mark when trying to gauge fan reaction to upcoming scenes. However has he ever made the kind of comment he is currently making for 3x14? (ie fans will be mad and he'll have to be off Twitter for a while?).

I'm so confused.  I feel like I need a chart to keep track of MG's hyperbole.

I thought 3.12 was the one he said he'd have to get off twitter for and 3.14 was the one something regarding Felicity would "break the internet" (a recent statement, iirc)?

• Love 1

I hope you're right, apinknightmare.  The only thing that gives me hope (though I'm still pessimistic) is that he ends that paragraph with:

So it’s a ride, it’s a roller-coaster.

Hopefully the show’s going to be on for a little longer.

Edited by tv echo

I.E we are idiots who won't put them together or either We are determined to shove an unlikable character down your throats we are actually having him be powerful to have a real chance of breaking what Olicity has and we won't put Olicity together yet.

I thought 3.12 was the one he said he'd have to get off twitter for and 3.14 was the one something regarding Felicity would "break the internet" (a recent statement, iirc)?

Yep, you're right.

312 is the one with the heartbreaking O/F scene that will make him go off twitter.  314 is the flashback episode that will include a Felicity moment that will break the internet.

When you read the whole quote, it sounds to me as though he is saying "we do the storyline that feels natural and don't pander to a fanbase." Something they have often been accused of doing. Obviously they cannot please everyone but that doesn't mean I understand some of their choices. Sometimes nothing about them feels organic. But I guess at the end of the day it is PR and they'd never say that they are unhappy with the road they chose. 

I do however think it is strange that they are seemingly only talking about that scene. Is their any other scene worth watching in 3x12? And I don't understand why Oliver would ever consider being in  the LoA. Him and his No kill rule should rule that out immediately. Maybe he won't have a choice? Sometimes it is better to watch the show without looking for logic or consistent storytelling, they don't care about it. For example: Oliver just survived. How is that even possible. The fall alone should be fatal. But it was just another day in the office for him apparently. And MG said they won't dwell on that any longer. That is just poor storytelling. You wanted the cliffhanger but you didn't think beyond. 

• Love 4

He's paraphrasing himself - he's already said they chart their own course with regards to the Olicity ship.

Shrug. Been there, read that.

If he is receiving an offer from Ra's, stuff has to happen to make him seriously consider that. Not sure if I'm looking forward to that stuff or not.

Thanks, apinknightmare and tv echo

That interview did not do anything to instill faith in the show.  I actually rolled my eyes at MG's mention of the fans having faith in them.  They, quite frankly, haven't done anything to warrant it and nothing he said even approached making me feeling better about what's coming up.  For MG to reference a show jumping the shark just makes me concerned that, knowing how he misjudges everything, the show is going to do just that.  I'm curious, but more apprehensive than excited.  That's probably not what he was going for.

Edited by JenMD
  • Love 8

What's happening in 14? Flashbacks right?

Maybe Felicity shoots someone without remorse. That'd break MY internet because I'd burn my modem.

What if the person she shoots is a real piece of shit? I've always wondered if they would do a episode where Felicity kills someone to protect someone like Diggle or Oliver?

Wonder if the "shocking" twist isn't Oliver teaming up with Malcolm because they have a common enemy (Ra's) and the enemy of my enemy...

And I still think someone needs to put a virtual gag on Guggentroll. His interviews get people talking, but they also make people dread what's coming up instead of getting excited for it.

• Love 5

Wonder if the "shocking" twist isn't Oliver teaming up with Malcolm because they have a common enemy (Ra's) and the enemy of my enemy...

And I still think someone needs to put a virtual gag on Guggentroll. His interviews get people talking, but they also make people dread what's coming up instead of getting excited for it.

Well we had said that Oliver teaming up with Malcolm would piss Felicity off.

Yes Someone does need to put a GAG on Guggie

I would prefer to hear from AK. He has a better way of explaining the season arcs. 

MG just says 'something a little like this but maybe not happens with these people or maybe not these people' and 'this is how you are going to feel.' 

• Love 1

I stand by my thoughts that this is going to be rebranded as Justice League in some way eventually. I think that's why they took Oliver out for 3 episodes essentially to see how far we would tolerate no Oliver.

But for now, I think Oliver comes back as crazy or a villain and thats why he works with Malcolm.  SA has said he would like to play a villain so maybe he takes a spin at that here. Maybe  Oliver is being dosed by Tatsu with whatever Malcolm gave Thea because of a threat to her son.  But the tipping point is that Oliver sleeps with Felicity, BUT we find out after they've been together that he's gone dark side and has allied with Malcolm or the LoA. A villainous Oliver would be a reason for Felicity to step away from him that fans would not resent her for. and a way to put her romantically with Ray.  To me that would be the thing that breaks the internet

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Man, MG really knows how to get people to want to watch this show. NOT! Seriously, it seems only Laurel Lance fans have things to look forward to. How is that fair?

I really hope we don't see Felicity in the flashbacks. I don't want her and Oliver to have met already. I like their original meeting because it was so unexpected and perfect. Why mess with that?

MG just says 'something a little like this but maybe not happens with these people or maybe not these people' and 'this is how you are going to feel.' 

Exactly. And he anticipates people's reactions incorrectly all the time. Stellar feat, Guggentroll.

• Love 1

This also increases my conviction that they're going to try to move away from the Oliver/Felicity romance as quickly as they can (esp. given MG's "we sorta chart our own course" comment), since that wasn't part of their original plan.

As for the "hard left turn" in 315 comment, I think it has to do with the LOA and MG's previous comment about the show turning into a "true ensemble show".

I don't think they'll be turning away from Oliver/Felicity anytime soon, since they are using this to sell the show - see, the CW promos, the interview teases, this build up for a 312 scene that in my own opinion is not going to live up to their hype.  I'd also take the "we sorta chart our own course" thing as a statement in favor of Oliver/Felicity - after all, they hired a known actress with a fan following for their main canon/love interest role, and ended up going with the then-completely unknown actress instead, continuing to give her more screentime even when they finally got around to giving the known actress the action role she was originally promised. (Felicity was the focus in Left Behind; Midnight City was an ensemble piece where Felicity had slightly more screentime than Laurel.)  There's been about one tease for Oliver/Laurel (some upcoming Lauriver scene) in comparison to pretty much daily teases for whatever this 312 scene is.

And I don't think it's strange that they're pretty much only talking about the 312 scene - ratings soared after the show spent a summer teasing Oliver/Felicity. This is a sweeps episode, and from the spoilers, only a couple of the sweeps episodes have Oliver/Felicity scenes, so they're going to tease this scene as much as they can. It might not work (ratings for "Draw Back Your Bow" were eh - not the worst, not the best), but it might.

• Love 7

Man, MG really knows how to get people to want to watch this show. NOT! Seriously, it seems only Laurel Lance fans have things to look forward to. How is that fair?

I really hope we don't see Felicity in the flashbacks. I don't want her and Oliver to have met already. I like their original meeting because it was so unexpected and perfect. Why mess with that?

If she is in a flashback, I bet Felicity inadvertently (or possibly on purpose) helps him escape during a chase and he looks back and smiles at her or something.

• Love 2

If she is in a flashback, I bet Felicity inadvertently (or possibly on purpose) helps him escape during a chase and he looks back and smiles at her or something.

I could see that.

I think if they do show her in a flashback, they aren't going to be meeting. Maybe that pass each other or you see her in the background. If they do show her, that would be my preferred scene.

Didn't they say She's in the flashbacks cause it's Oliver and Maseo in Starling City? I like your scenario or maybe it's something like she's in the same room or vicinity as Oliver and they ALMOST meet

I guess that wouldn't be so bad. I just think that first meeting in 103 is important and should be left alone. Oliver even mentioned it on their date in 301. It's significant. But yeah, I would prefer that over anything else.

Bonus points if she's chewing on a red pen while doing this.

• Love 2

Regarding them really selling this olicity scene, they tend to pick one scene and really drive it home. 3x10 was Diggle and Laurel, 3x12 was Oliver and Felicity, 3x13 seems to be Felicity and Laurel. 

I couldn't figure out a scene for 3x11, maybe the dream? 

• Love 2

Why not they just pass each other with no acknowledgement? I'd prefer that to a smile, or bumping into each other. I know tumblr would like something like that though.

Because them passing each other with no acknowledgment would probably not break the internet.

I don't think they'll retcon Oliver and Felicity first meeting in 1x03.  That's just too implausible.  Maybe the 'break-the-internet' moment in 314 is a flashback showing that Oliver saw her or knew about her or was told about her, but she never saw him and they never actually met then.  So when he came to her for help in season 1, he really wasn't referred by anyone but knew about her working at QC.

But for now, I think Oliver comes back as crazy or a villain and thats why he works with Malcolm.  SA has said he would like to play a villain so maybe he takes a spin at that here. Maybe  Oliver is being dosed by Tatsu with whatever Malcolm gave Thea because of a threat to her son.  But the tipping point is that Oliver sleeps with Felicity, BUT we find out after they've been together that he's gone dark side and has allied with Malcolm or the LoA. A villainous Oliver would be a reason for Felicity to step away from him that fans would not resent her for. and a way to put her romantically with Ray.  To me that would be the thing that breaks the internet

Well MG did say something once about how the EPs like Joss Whedon and Buffy/Angel - and didn't Angel lose his soul and turn evil after sleeping with Buffy (because he experienced a moment of true happiness)?

Edited by tv echo

continuing to give her more screentime even when they finally got around to giving the known actress the action role she was originally promised. (Felicity was the focus in Left Behind; Midnight City was an ensemble piece where Felicity had slightly more screentime than Laurel.)

I heard Left Behind was a Felicity centric episode (don't know why they didn't promote it as such) but I had no idea Felicity had more screen time in 311. That was supposed to be Laurel's big episode, seems really odd that anyone but Laurel would have the most screen time. I suppose they could be saving the big Laurel scenes for Canaries but it certainly seems odd...unless they really didn't have faith in Laurel/KC to deliver.

Oh we've given up on her shooting someone for Ray?

Honestly I liked 1.03 meet cute. Leave it as such. Something would be cool.

I'd rather this internet breaking moment not be Oliver meeting Felicity in a flashback, but I don't think it would ruin their first meeting for me if it was. Felicity wouldn't have known it was Oliver and Oliver probably wouldn't remember her. Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

I don't think they'll retcon Oliver and Felicity first meeting in 1x03.  That's just too implausible.  Maybe the 'break-the-internet' moment in 314 is a flashback showing that Oliver saw her or knew about her or was told about her, but she never saw him and they never actually met then.

Well MG did say something once about how the EPs like Joss Whedon and Buffy/Angel - and didn't Angel lose his soul and turn evil after sleeping with Buffy.

I would prefer Oliver didn't know who Felicity was before meeting her. As for the Buffy Comparison what if Oliver has something silly in him where if he achieves happiness it goes to Hell and he switches back to season 1 Oliver lol? he sleeps with Felicity and the next day he acts like he didn't just have sex with a woman he loves deeply and brushes her off? She would be pissed and then they reveal Malcolm or Ra's did something to Oliver. They could then tie in Felicity being to the Key to his humanity Ugh this sounds so silly lol

The Hong Kong flashbacks would be during the third year Oliver was away, right?  So Felicity would be about 20 then?  So some possibilities are:

• Goth Felicity was still at MIT and was in Starling City on summer vacation.  (MG said that Felicity graduated from MIT at age 19 and also that she graduated from MIT at age 20/21, so he's contradicted himself.)
  • Blonde Felicity just graduated from MIT and was visiting Starling City as a trip reward.
  • Blonde Felicity was in Starling City for a job interview with QC.
  • Blonde Felicity was interning or just starting work at QC.
  • QC sponsored a seminar or orientation for newbie hires, and Felicity was one of those hires.

Also possible that Oliver gets IT help from a third party and, unbeknownst to him, that third party knows Felicity and actually gets the needed info from her. 

Edited by tv echo

As silly as a sword through the chest, falling 200ft yet surviving with nothing other than a scratch and a cough? It's possible.

BTW why was there speculation Felicity would break the internet by lunging/sleeping with Ray? Were we in a morose mood?

I heard Left Behind was a Felicity centric episode (don't know why they didn't promote it as such) but I had no idea Felicity had more screen time in 311. That was supposed to be Laurel's big episode, seems really odd that anyone but Laurel would have the most screen time. I suppose they could be saving the big Laurel scenes for Canaries but it certainly seems odd...unless they really didn't have faith in Laurel/KC to deliver.

Well, she did have several big scenes, but four of her scenes were with Felicity, which helped create that balance. Plus, present day Oliver ended up having a lot more screentime than expected, with the Oliver/Tatsu/Maseo cabin scenes, and Ray and Felicity had quite a bit of screentime. 

Diggle, alas, not so much. More Diggle, please, show.  

• Love 2

From the 314 official description:

A flashback reveals when Oliver and Maseo (guest star Karl Yune) returned to Starling City to retrieve the Omega bio weapon, and despite being under strict orders from Amanda Waller (guest star Cynthia Addai-Robinson) not to reveal himself to anyone, Oliver looks in on his family, Laurel (Katie Cassidy) and Tommy (guest star Colin Donnell).

And yet they filmed a scene in front of QC. None of those people would be at QC. That kinda leaves Felicity, doesn't it?

My wish would be for Maseo to interact with Felicity and somehow help Oliver, without either of them knowing about it.

• Love 5

As silly as a sword through the chest, falling 200ft yet surviving with nothing other than a scratch and a cough? It's possible.

BTW why was there speculation Felicity would break the internet by lunging/sleeping with Ray? Were we in a morose mood?

Sadly Felicity and Ray making out or going further isn't ruled out yet

• Love 1

And yet they filmed a scene in front of QC. None of those people would be at QC. That kinda leaves Felicity, doesn't it?

My wish would be for Maseo to interact with Felicity and somehow help Oliver, without either of them knowing about it.

I like that idea!

• Love 1

Ooh that would be cool! Then near the end of the season Maseo could turn up in Starling City and then Felicity could recognise him and find out that Maseo is the one who saved Oliver's life and she can thank him for bringing Oliver back to her so to speak