Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Technically they already paid homage to the comics with Oliver/Sara but okay. Haha.

I do appreciate that she was talking to a comic book website though. I also appreciate that she's an actress so of course she'd want the LI role if she could get it. But I don't like her answer at all. Her ones at SDCC were much better so it's a shame she went there. Oh well. Not like I didn't expect it. It was only a matter of time. ? ?

Edited by Guest

I think the problem is more from the question since it totally avoided possibly dead Felicity yet specifically mentioned totally dead Laurel? ?I don't think Laurel is the main obstacle here. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 6

I love everything that pays homage to the original comics and I think that's really cool but in terms of the show and what Dinah is going through, I don't know if she's ready for something like that with Oliver or anyone. I think if that were to happen, it would be so far down into the future. I don't know if it would even happen! But if it does, I think it would be very cool as it's such a great homage to the original stories.

I actually thought it was a pretty good answer.  Saying that Dinah isn't ready for a relationship takes Dinah/Diggle and Dinah/Oliver off the table (and Dinah/Rene but she'd be like his nanny) in this moment so it's a place-saver so she doesn't get any hopes up or offend anyone. 

She's talking to a comic book site so saying Oliver is with Felicity now would only make a substantial portion of the readers angry.  And she's right, who knows what's going to happen on the show four or five seasons down.  SA may decide to leave, EBR may get a fabulous offer and leave, they might bring on a completely new character that's great for Dinah. 

She was polite, praised KC a lot, came up with something unique for her character ( Dinah training and learning how to be part of the Arrow family) and didn't piss off the comic book fans at the interview site.  All in all a pretty good diplomatic answer.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 8

The problem starts with the question really, and the question is basically, "GA and BC are together in the comics. Since you're BC now..." Frankly, it's somewhat insulting because it's not even taking into account the Dinah part of her character, just the BC part of it. If they hadn't called her BC in the finale and debuted her costume over the summer and all that and had instead said, "no, we're giving Dinah this other code name," they probably wouldn't even be asking JH these questions.

But I've resigned myself to having to read questions like this about GA/BC until the show ends. Comic book sites will probably even be asking them while promoting the Olicity wedding. "So, Oliver and Felicity are getting married in the next episode. We just saw photos of Felicity's dress. But in the comics, Oliver and Black Canary are married. Will we see that in the future?" 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I actually thought it was a pretty good answer.  Saying that Dinah isn't ready for a relationship takes Dinah/Diggle and Dinah/Oliver off the table (and Dinah/Rene but she'd be like his nanny) in this moment so it's a place-saver so she doesn't get any hopes up or offend anyone. 

She's talking to a comic book site so saying Oliver is with Felicity now would only make a substantial portion of the readers angry.  And she's right, who knows what's going to happen on the show four or five seasons down.  SA may decide to leave, EBR may get a fabulous offer and leave, they might bring on a completely new character that's great for Dinah. 

She was polite, praised KC a lot, came up with something unique for her character ( Dinah training) and didn't piss off the fans of the interview site.  All in all a pretty good diplomatic answer.

But DD is getting a LI this year. 

There's nothing new in that producer's preview. It's basically, "We're still going to have flashbacks (except when we don't). Black Siren is a villain. And an old friend of Oliver's* even though they didn't meet before she tried to impersonate his actual old (dead) friend. Black Siren is a villain. It's hard to do crossovers with Supergirl because that's another Earth. Flash villains don't really work on our show. Except for Black Siren." 

*It's the same exact quote from that preview a couple weeks ago and I'm just as annoyed hearing it again as I was the first time

• Love 1

I get that the money is with the LI and it's a comic site, I'm just annoyed that it's another round of 'let's ignore the characters and the show and the shows canon' to support the comics answer. 

I was hoping JH would play a different card. 

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

DD is getting a LI but it's not Oliver (I hope!).  There's no way she could answer that question teasing a love interest for Dinah and still be able to deflect the GA/BC future wedding.

Why not? All it took was to say she is really looking forward to a GA/BC partnership in the field even if she doesn't see them as romantic partners. Not that it changes anything for me anyway, lol

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Why not? All it took was to say she is really looking forward to a GA/BC partnership in the field even if she doesn't see them as romantic partners.

I really don't think she could say that last part, partly because it would really piss off the people who go to that site and dream of BC/GA, any BC in the role,, and partly because that's a statement for a producer to say, not the actor who plays the role.  And the producers never say never.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

I really don't think she could say that last part, partly because it would really piss off the people who go to that site and dream of BC/GA, any BC in the role,, and partly because that's a statement for a producer to say, not the actor who plays the role.  And the producers never say never.

And what would have happened exactly? Lots of people on that site don't even want her as BC because it's LL or bust..lots of people on that site hate Olicity and they still make articles about them because that's the job.

I'm pretty sure she denied any romance with Diggle not that long ago..if then the writers decide to go there it's not the actors' fault but they can give their opinion, unless they decide to tell spoilers.

• Love 2

FYI...

-- On whether Black Canary will be getting a new love interest this season, WM: “I would say yes for that, but I’m not going to tell you with who, because that’s a fun story we’re very excited about." Also WM: "Not Diggle... That’s what’s so much fun.” (Jul. 13, 2017 Entertainment Weekly article, page 4 of New Spoilers thread and page 1560 of Spoiler Discussion thread)

-- On the Diggle/Dinah chemistry, Natalie Abrams: "Well, when I asked Wendy Mericle about it, Wendy was like, that was purely just the result of great chemistry between two great actors working off of each other. But she says she's not ruling it out in the future." (Apr. 28, 2017 EW's Superhero Insider podcast, page 218 of Starling City Times thread)

-- On the chemistry between Dinah and Diggle, DR: "You gotta do something with his wife first. That's an issue. Clearly... (Interviewer interjected, "You can't touch that relationship.") ... So you can't touch that. But, um, there's clearly [unintelligible word] is great." (SDCC, Jul. 22, 2017: KSiteTV video of press roundtable interview with DR, page 4 of New Spoilers thread)

-- Fan report on what JH said about a possible Diggle/Dinah hookup: "Diggle is her brother. She admires him. She would never do that." @JulianaHarkavy  about people worrying over Diggle x Dinah" and "ALSO @JulianaHarkavy says Dinah would NEVER get in the way of Dyla so get the worry out of your heads!!! 'Dinah is all about loyalty.'" (HVFF-Portland, Jun. 25, 2017: latinasmoak tweets, page 3 of New Spoilers thread)

-- On Dinah's relationship with Diggle, JH: “I loved it. I really hope it continues. They have a closeness. They get along well. They’re real with each other. I would love to see that relationship evolve.” Their relationship will not be evolving past friendship, however, as some fans may have wondered. (SDCC, Jul. 22, 2017: Aug. 10, 2017 CBR article, page 5 of New Spoilers thread)

Edited by tv echo

Thanks @tv echo.  JH did deny Dinah/Diggle, but only after WM had said no first.  (With the standard "not ruling it out in the future.")

Are MG and WH as bored with their standard "Black Siren is such a great villain. We're not going to tell you anything else" as I am?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

JHis great at interviews she knows how to keep things open without stepping on anyone's toes. Good for her.

I disagree, she completely ignored Emily/Felicity exists and her place on the show and in Oliver's life. I'm sure JH is more than capable of giving a more PC answer to that question but that doesn't really suit what she's "fishing" for, does it? 

• Love 18
7 minutes ago, Balaclava said:

I disagree, she completely ignored Emily/Felicity exists and her place on the show and in Oliver's life. I'm sure JH is more than capable of giving a more PC answer to that question but that doesn't really suit what she's "fishing" for, does it? 

She is because in the past she did, lol

55 minutes ago, Balaclava said:

I didn't see that way. She didn't put Dinah above Felicity (or herself for Emily) and wasn't going "YEAH! Lets do it! Totally into them hooking up!" she is open to the idea if they choose to go there sometime in the future but from the sound of it she could take or leave it. It doesn't step on what Felicity brings to the show. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I wonder if Lyla is starting a new Suicide Squad with Deathstroke? It would be a good way to bring Slade back from time to time while having Slade pay for his actions. 

Yeah, that's how I'm thinking 606 is going to wrap up now. Slade joining Lyla's ARGUS/new Suicide Squad, possibly with his son. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I didn't see that way. She didn't put Dinah above Felicity (or herself for Emily) and wasn't going "YEAH! Lets do it! Totally into them hooking up!" she is open to the idea if they choose to go there sometime in the future but from the sound of it she could take or leave it. It doesn't step on what Felicity brings to the show. 

Even if she did say that I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I don't think actresses need to to be afraid to voice liking being paired with SA. 

• Love 2
Just now, Velocity23 said:

She just has her own headcanons like KC. Maybe she should stick what is in the script. 

How does she have her own headcannon? Nothing about what she said suggested that she thinks Dinah should end up with Oliver or is even interested in Oliver romantically. 

• Love 3
Just now, Primal Slayer said:

How does she have her own headcannon? Nothing about what she said suggested that she thinks Dinah should end up with Oliver or is even interested in Oliver romantically. 

She basically implied that its on Dinah with who she wants to move on. Disregarding completely what is happening on the show. But hey a nod to comics. And it will be great. 

• Love 3

It'll be nice to see Lyla again. I agree that Slade might join ARGUS or something. It leaves it open for him to return again and it definitely seems like they want to do that. 

Edited by Guest
4 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

She basically implied that its on Dinah with who she wants to move on. Disregarding completely what is happening on the show. But hey a nod to comics. And it will be great. 

She was pretty straight forward. "dont know! if it does, cool nod to the comics!" doesn't equal just reading that one line and nothing else"I think it would be very cool as it's such a great homage to the original stories." Dinah isn't ready for a relationship with Oliver or anyone. 

Edited by Primal Slayer
  • Love 1

Such a moronic question. Now that Laurel is out of the picture blah blah blah. Let's conveniently ignore the fact that Oliver has been mooning over Felicity since S2.

I think all these actresses want the LI role and to have the fanbase and be one half of an iconic juggernaut ship. Unfortunately for them that iconic ship is Olicity.

It always amuses me that EBR who has the LI role and the crazy devoted fandom backing (I use the word crazy fondly as I'm very much part of the crazy fandom and am proud of it) is totally chilled and soooo laid back about it. 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 14
Just now, Primal Slayer said:

She was pretty straight forward. "dont know! if it does, cool nod to the comics!" doesn't equal just reading that one line and nothing "I think it would be very cool as it's such a great homage to the original stories." Dinah isn't ready for a relationship with Oliver or anyone. 

It such a great homage to the original stories that already failed badly on this show. And its really cool that all the canaries are interchangeable and  have to be in a relationship with Oliver at some point as a right of passage? You can aknowledge comics and still be proud of the story the show is telling.( which the show already did several times)

And also disregards her own LI that she is getting this season.  Which most likely means that the people in charge think Dinah is ready to move on. 

• Love 2

JH used up all her benefit of the doubt chips with me over her social media usage issues, so this does not read well to me.  I am sure she would be plenty ready to move on if Oliver was free.  And if her character is so set on being a leader, great.  She can take the other two noobies on the team and lead them out of town.   

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

She never said that Dinah had to be with Oliver so thats a moot point for me. And hard to disregard a love interest that she probably hasn't gotten yet. Especially when she said Dinah isn't ready for anyone. She didn't give Oliver a special pass lol.

It was announced she was getting one.  So why not say she hopes for a great partnership/friendship with Oliver/GA but that Dinah will slowly start to open her heart to other possibilities.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Velocity23 said:

It was announced she was getting one.  So why not say she hopes for a great partnership/friendship with Oliver/GA but that Dinah will slowly start to open her heart to other possibilities.  

Getting one, different from having one. 6 episodes in and it doesn't look like she has one yet to our knowledge so her saying Dinah isn't ready for a relationship would be true for where she is in the show at the time of filming.

4 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Getting one, different from having one. 6 episodes in and it doesn't look like she has one yet to our knowledge so her saying Dinah isn't ready for a relationship would be true for where she is in the show at the time of filming.

So she gonna be like KC getting a LI in s3 but still going on about being part of the love triangle with #Olicity. Cool story. 

1 minute ago, Velocity23 said:

So she gonna be like KC getting a LI in s3 but still going on about being part of the love triangle with #Olicity. Cool story. 

KC got a love interest in S3? Where was he? Oh you mean that dude who was on for like 3 episodes where nothing romantic happened at all but they intended for something to but he left before they could ever get that far into their storyline? That wasn't a love interest.

• Love 1

She didn't say anything about being part of love triangle with Olicity. She said that Dinah's not ready for a relationship (and for all we know that could be right and her LI crashes because she's not ready or he/she is what she needs to move on from the past) but if there is a BC/GA in the future, that's a cool nod to the comics.  Nothing about Oliver being the love of Dinah's life or they're meant to be.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

KC got a love interest in S3? Where was he? Oh you mean that dude who was on for like 3 episodes where nothing romantic happened at all but they intended for something to but he left before they could ever get that far into their storyline? That wasn't a love interest.

Intended and i will never that moment at SDCC when KC asked Geoff Johns if he read comics when he asked her about Wildcat. 

• Love 1

All I know is I really can't wait until the premiere airs and it doesn't seem like they're going back and forth between "everyone could be dead!" and "Well, we have X coming up for Felicity, X for Diggle, etc." I think that's also based on the timing of when interviews are being released - some could be from around SDCC and sites are just putting them up now. But it's still frustrating.

At this point, I'd rather get something about ME's character (seriously, just tell us he's Cayden James or not Cayden James already!) or KA's character. I'm just sick and tired of hearing about Oliver and William, BC, BS and Slade.

I wonder if we'll get anything from HVFF this weekend. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Proteus said:

Even if she did say that I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I don't think actresses need to to be afraid to voice liking being paired with SA. 

Nope, nothing wrong at all. Only, the last actress who had her own head canon regarding her role on the show got fired. So, all the luck to JH!

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Nope, nothing wrong at all. Only, the last actress who had her own head canon regarding her role on the show got fired. So, all the luck to JH!

And ended up coming back lol. So if thats what JH has to look forward to for not denouncing a possible Dinah/Oliver romance in the future, she got nothing to be worried about lol.

1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

And ended up coming back lol. So if thats what JH has to look forward to for not denouncing a possible Dinah/Oliver romance in the future, she got nothing to be worried about lol.

Yeah I'm sure Juliana would love to go from being in every episode to only filming one day for an episode here and there :) 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, LeighAn said:

Yeah I'm sure Juliana would love to go from being in every episode to only filming one day for an episode here and there :) 

Not as if it would make a big difference in the actual content of the character that she'd probably be getting but the season is still early and who knows if JH would come back as a villain or not.

7 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Juliana's in a corner going 'one day I hope I'm fired and then brought back to be punched by the character who a put wrecking ball thru my career.' Oh boy!

In other news, I hope Willa is actually filming Arrow.

• Love 14