Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

41 minutes ago, TrueMyth said:

Now I could say all this with Detective Mayo, too, and I know it starts to retread Cooper a little bit, but I think I'd rather have Mayo be Prometheus.  It would explain how he knew what Prometheus said to Church.  I also like the idea that he's been researching the Green Arrow/Arrow/Hood for so long that he is able to see past the cunning hood disguise and realize, much like the historian from the LoT premier, that Oliver IS the Green Arrow.  Maybe that's why we didn't see how he met and started dating Felicity.  Maybe we'll see some of that in flashbacks and find out that he targeted her to get a feel for Oliver's time table and such.

I'm leaning toward Malone being evil or at least non-good inclined for two reasons. First, he's too inoffensive, between the aw shucks, boyish actor to naming him Billy. I can see the appeal of that "twist" - Felicity seeing a nice uncomplicated guy who's different from Oliver but who also turns out to be the dark mirror of the Green Arrow. Dun dun duuuuun! Second - and pretty irresistible for the writers, I think - it creates the opportunity for dialogue along the lines of the following, including a post-break-up:

Scene: Team Arrow discovers Billy is up to no good.

Felicity: oh my god, I've pulled an 'Isabel'! Well, not 'pulled' exactly, although there was that one time after the reeeeeallly good wine ...."

Someone in the lair/on comms: Felicity!!

Felicity: Right. Tracking his location now.

Scene!

• Love 4

Ugh. Mayo Bread is only in two episodes, they said. WTF. I thought they'd break up by 505. This is getting ridiculous. I hate it. Like, we don't even know if Felicity has a job anymore but don't worry! She has a pointless boyfriend! 

Ughhhhhhhhhhh.

12 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Ugh. Mayo Bread is only in two episodes, they said. WTF. I thought they'd break up by 505. This is getting ridiculous. I hate it. Like, we don't even know if Felicity has a job anymore but don't worry! She has a pointless boyfriend! 

Ughhhhhhhhhhh.

Yep, two degrees from MIT and one job as CEO of a Fortune 500 company  later and .... She's bunker-bound. Fear not, friends!  She has a boyfriend! Ain't that the epitome of success and achievement? 

Meanwhile, as someone upthread mentioned, Thea is chief of staff. Did she even get to finish high school? That's fine though, 'cause nepotism. 

They sure know how to write strong and accomplished female characters. Regarding Felicity, I still hope that they will give her an arc regarding her next career move, once the whole havenrock thing will be done with (which I hope will not turn into another manpain story). 

• Love 17

The lack of job for Felicity doesn't totally bug me right now. She lost so much last season, I can understand the idea of her not wanting to put herself out there and instead just focus on the Team. I can fit Felicity's actions into boxes pretty well. Hiding in the lair so she doesn't have to face Havenrock (Thanks for bringing it in Oliver!) and dating Mayo to avoid dealing with the breakup of her relationship with Oliver. I wish the show would bother explaining of course, but we still haven't gotten much out of Felicity. Thats how I'm viewing it basically until the show says otherwise.

I suppose it does make sense why no one thought Mayo has been on set. His IG implied he was traveling a lot, he could film his scenes during his layovers.

I'm still hoping they break up in 5x05. Characters whose only purpose is to ship stall are annoying. 

• Love 11

I disagree with the notion they took Olicity back to S2. They took them to the summer after S2 and The Calm before the date. This is the Olicity I wanted in S3. UST but not ready to go there yet. The BF being a small fry and chilling in the background while Olicity continues to grow. 

Im not sure how that works because of how far we got in S3 / S4 but I thought that was interesting.

• Love 5

I remember a comment Marc made recently saying that he was aware on the show they took emotional arcs etc to fast, like the apparently off screen developments between season 2 and 3.  I could actually appreciate trying to fix that if they got rid of Mayo and anyone they might throw at Oliver.

• Love 3

I'm trying to piece this together. Is the pilot flashback part of 509 or will it be in 510 and they got Nutter back to direct? Considering he did the pilot, I'm in favor of the decision.

1 minute ago, bijoux said:

Has he directed anything since the pilot? Would he be sending the crew stuff like this if he hasn't been involved for more than four years?

Don't pilot directors make additional money throughout the life of the series? If so, them continuing to do well would benefit him, so I can see why he'd reach out and thank them.

• Love 2
(edited)

He probably got an EP credit as part of his Pilot deal.  As i understand it, David Nutter makes a very good living by mostly directing Pilot episodes

Upon reflection would that picture be better suited to the Social Media thread? It's not really a spoiler, even if Nutter turns out to be directing 510.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Don't pilot directors make additional money throughout the life of the series? If so, them continuing to do well would benefit him, so I can see why he'd reach out and thank them.

29 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

As i understand it, the person who directs the pilot gets residuals for all subsequent episodes.  

ETA: He also would have gotten syndication money.

Thanks. That's new information to me.

21 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

He probably got an EP credit as part of his Pilot deal.  As i understand it, David Nutter makes a very good living by mostly directing Pilot episodes

Upon reflection would that picture be better suited to the Social Media thread? It's not really a spoiler, even if Nutter turns out to be directing 510.

I brought it over here in connection with the pilot flashback which is a spoiler, but yes, it could go there as well.

In 5.06 I wonder if Prometheus' victims are either names from The List or relatives of the families who conspired to bring about the Undertaking. There were several people besides Robert Queen and Malcolm Merlyn involved IIRC. MM killed Frank Chen but I think there were 5 or 6 people in the meeting when he announced his plans.

Ugh. Mayo Bread is only in two episodes, they said. WTF. 

I dont recall the EPs saying that. 

Characters whose only purpose is to ship stall are annoying. 

Except the part were the character is the new detective and link to SCPD . So ship stall is not his only purpose if it even is. 

2 minutes ago, DCLeague said:

My bad, of course I know the EPs are not the only ones with authority over the show, so you are talking about? 

For months people have said that the boyfriend would only be in a couple of episodes. Or he was part of Flashpoint...etc. "They said" was just a figure of speech and me being annoyed that all the theories of how long they'd be dating were wrong. 

4 minutes ago, DCLeague said:

My bad, of course I know the EPs are not the only ones with authority over the show, so you are talking about? 

People watching the actor. Malone's actor has rarely been in Vancouver 

Tyler Ritter has had 5-6 minutes of total airtime if that in 3 episodes.  I wonder if when he is in Vancouver if he films multiple episodes. His social media is why an assumption was made that he was only in 2 and stated everywhere as fact.

I know this is total bias talking but I'm kind of laughing that the rumor about Oliver sleeping with the reporter came out on Saturday and the ratings took another dive on Wednesday.

• Love 9

I'm curious to see what the ratings do when he actually sleeps with the reporter (cause I totally think that's happening and is not just a rumor).  I'm expecting a lot of rage from people who were promised a "HUGE Olicity episode" and instead get Oliver sleeping with a lady that's been around for three episodes.  Ep. 506 might go even lower than a 0.6.   

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I know this is total bias talking but I'm kind of laughing that the rumor about Oliver sleeping with the reporter came out on Saturday and the ratings took another dive on Wednesday.

Also, the article with MG talking about the "anti-Felicity POV" got posted on Wednesday afternoon. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Also, the article with MG talking about the "anti-Felicity POV" got posted on Wednesday afternoon. 

I don't think general public would've thought that interview was bad considering they don't know what fandom is like and what the anti-felicity people were saying after the bomb dropped. So I doubt that mattered much. IDK though

• Love 4
1 minute ago, wonderwall said:

I don't think general public would've thought that interview was bad considering they don't know what fandom is like and what the anti-felicity people were saying after the bomb dropped. So I doubt that mattered much. IDK though

True. It just made me not want to watch. 

Maybe the TV listings blurb for 503 was just super boring and people didn't bother to tune in.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I wouldn't consider anything that sparks outrage/debate in fandom as having much impact on the ratings until whatever fandom is raging about shows up in an actual episode. Not that it definitively doesn't have an impact or anything, but the number of people who actively engage in Arrow fandom and also have Nielsen boxes is probably pretty small. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

True. It just made me not want to watch. 

Maybe the TV listings blurb for 503 was just super boring and people didn't bother to tune in.

When I read it really quickly, it didn't make me rage because I was doing like 10 other things... I just figured cool they're doing multiple POVs so I didn't really think about the negative connotations with his wording... I'm guessing that's what casual viewers who read that interview thought

• Love 1

I honestly don't think any of these online interviews and spoilers have any kind of effect on the ratings unless a lot of the social media folks have Nielsen boxes. All the CW DC shows are declining so it can mean people aren't interested in watching live anymore. But none of the Arrow promos even include anything to get excited about, then you watch the episode and you're like "wow, why wasn't this and this scene in the promo" 

• Love 5

I'm having a bad day, and I come here to find Felicity is still dating Mayo in 506.  WTF Arrow?

He'd better turn out to be Prometheus is all I can say.  Because right now, he's completely pointless. I'd rather have a junior clerk on the SCPD decide to break rules and  feed the Arrow information. That at least has the potential to be a good story.

4 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

I'm curious to see what the ratings do when he actually sleeps with the reporter (cause I totally think that's happening and is not just a rumor).  I'm expecting a lot of rage from people who were promised a "HUGE Olicity episode" and instead get Oliver sleeping with a lady that's been around for three episodes.  Ep. 506 might go even lower than a 0.6.   

If I were MG and WM and I took a look at those ratings, I'd be in the edit booth for that episode cutting down the Oliver/reported time like crazy.

When I look at the EPs and their comments about Olicity this season and the results of Felicity's bf and yet they still do it, all I can think is "flat learning curve."

• Love 13
6 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Funny story. My extremely offline friend emailed me the day after that TV Guide/WM interview awhile back to tell *me* about it and she absolutely stopped watching live as a result. My last offline friend put Arrow on her DVR this week. There might be one other friend still watching, but she's in Canada. I'll have to check in on her to see. But spoilers like that do sometimes leak through to offline fans, especially when they're mainstreaming news sites like TV Guide, and they do apparently impact some offline viewers. I was really surprised.

• Love 10

I was wondering if they were going to incorporate the mid-season junket around the party, since the junket usually happens when they are filming 5.09/5.10. I'm interested to see if the promotion focus changes or if they double down. I'm also wondering if they are going to announce new characters.

I'm wondering if they will announce the casting for the "Tina" role while the press are in Vancouver.  Isn't her first appearance meant to be 511?  

It could get very interesting if the speculation about the role being "nuCanary" turns out to be true.  The EP's may try to hold off on casting news and role specifics for as long as possible in case it triggers any further backlash.

Edited by kes0704
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, kes0704 said:

I'm wondering if they will announce the casting for the "Tina" role while the press are in Vancouver.  Isn't her first appearance meant to be 511?  

It could get very interesting if the speculation about the role being "nuCanary" turns out to be true.  The EP's may try to hold off on casting news and role specifics for as long as possible in case they trigger any further backlash.

I was keeping it vague since I wasn't in the spoiler thread, but yeah, it seems like if Tina is in fact "Dinah Drake" that this would be when they'd announce her.  I feel like they would have a hard time believing that they'd be able to contain themselves at the possibility of getting the new and improved Black Canary on the show.  I expect the news to drop on a Wednesday a few hours before the show, burning away any desire I might have to watch the show that evening, although I'm sure it will up social media traffic as people discuss it endlessly for the few hours leading to broadcast, improving Arrow's twitter rating.

53 minutes ago, SmoaknArrow said:

Funny story. My extremely offline friend emailed me the day after that TV Guide/WM interview awhile back to tell *me* about it and she absolutely stopped watching live as a result. My last offline friend put Arrow on her DVR this week. There might be one other friend still watching, but she's in Canada. I'll have to check in on her to see. But spoilers like that do sometimes leak through to offline fans, especially when they're mainstreaming news sites like TV Guide, and they do apparently impact some offline viewers. I was really surprised.

My sister was a regular watcher but not super fannish about arrow--she loves the Walking Dead--and called to ask who all these new people were and should she care. She was unimpressed with the new vigilantes, and generally confused as to why Felicity would be dating this guy when she so clearly belonged with Oliver.  My IT director gave me his condolences about Olicity, and then discussed how much he disliked Wild Dog, even though he liked WD in the comics. Both are finding the current plot too confusing and disconnected and have quit watching, planning to catch up on netflix.

Edited by thegirlsleuth
  • Love 10
58 minutes ago, SmoaknArrow said:

Office gossip is another reason. I work with a lot hardcore comic book fans and they ALL adore Felicity. Their social media is mostly devoted to comics and gaming and not to TV. Two of them had it on their DVRs and they decided to drop Arrow altogether after they heard spoilers about lack of story for Felicity & Mayocop's continued presence. I guess word of mouth is still a very strong way to get people to start watching something or to drop it. 

• Love 10

If the new character does end up being Dinah Drake are the EP's going to retcon another part of Laurel's character and conveniently forget that she was actually named Dinah Laurel Lance?  

That's the problem with watching since the pilot, I remember the things I've been shown and told about the characters. 

Edited by kes0704
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I'm having a bad day, and I come here to find Felicity is still dating Mayo in 506.  WTF Arrow?

I suspect that episode description was written back in August or September, before the numbers started to fall, but that aside, it's virtually the perfect example of a) the problems with writing/releasing descriptions for future episodes while trying not to spoil other future episodes, and b) with being overly vague.

Because at no point does that description actually say that Felicity is still dating Mayo in 506, or whether he's actually even in the episode. The only thing it says is that she's considering talking to him about her role in Team Arrow.  This might scream "still in a relationship" if, like Curtis' husband Paul, he worked in health care or something, but he's a cop who apparently has some sort of connection with the criminals working for Church and Prometheus, or at least has street contacts.

Those were roles previously filled by Quentin (cops) and Diggle, Roy, Thea and to a much lesser extent Oliver (through the Bratva and/or threatening people) last season. At this point, Quentin is no longer on the police force; Roy is off the show; Thea, who had pretty limited street contacts anyway (she had about one line in season four with "I'll hit the streets," when Arrow suddenly remembered that hey, Roy wasn't around to say that) is a visible part of the mayor's office, ending the street contacts; and Diggle is suffering from a mental breakdown which may or may not be over by 506. With the newbies, Ragman just arrived in Star City - it's part of his plot - so presumably doesn't have the contacts yet; Curtis was shown having extreme trouble tracking down Wild Dog, so this is clearly not his thing; Evelyn doesn't appear to have street contacts; and Arrow just clarified, again, that although Rene/Wild Dog can track down other criminals, he has no connections to and doesn't know much about the various people working with Church and Prometheus.

On top of this, for whatever reason, Team Arrow apparently hasn't replaced some of their broken forensics equipment. Now, that's stupid, and also, they still should be able to chat with Team Flash, so this annoys me, but that aside, Arrow did clarify that Team Arrow is lacking some equipment and therefore needs occasional police assistance. At this point, Team Arrow also knows that some of the cops are corrupt, so their options are basically Frank Pike, who has been mostly anti-Hood/Arrow/Green Arrow for four seasons now; a new character vouched for by Quentin, which would mean adding yet another vague cop into a season already filled, as others have noted, with a number of new characters; or Mayo Cop - someone Felicity does know.

Arrow has frequently shown characters interacting/working with their exes - Oliver/Laurel throughout season one; Diggle/Lyla in seasons one and two before they got back together; Oliver/Helena in later encounters; Oliver/Isabel in season two, even if that went sideways at the end of the season; Walter/Moira in season two; Laurel/Sebastian Blood, who did have that one vague date midway through season two; Roy/Thea in season three; Felicity/Ray after their breakup in seasons 3 and 4; Oliver/Sara in season 4 and over on Legends of Tomorrow.  Oliver and Felicity will be interacting/working with their exes Ray and Sara in the crossover episodes in December. 

So it's entirely possible that Felicity and Mayo Cop do break up in 505, leaving her wondering if she should contact her ex in 506 and let him know that she works with Team Arrow and needs his help and wow, how awkward is that?  It also explains why she's even wondering in the first place, instead of just going, ok, I'm dating this nice guy who is a straight shooter of course I'm going to ask him for help/tell him what I do for a living. I mean, the guy's already cooperating with the Green Arrow, so why wouldn't Felicity just tell him that she works with the Green Arrow too, unless, that is, they've broken up and she thinks it will be awkward?

It's also, of course, entirely possible that Felicity and Mayo Cop don't break up in 505, and Felicity spends 506 wondering if she should finally tell the boyfriend about her job. If that's the case, then by episode 506 Felicity has been dating this guy for at least seven weeks - shortly before the start of episode 501 until episode 506, assuming that Felicity and Mayo Cop just started to date before the start of season one. That's probably not a safe assumption, since in episode 502, Mayo Cop specifically complained about the fact that he's never met her friends, which strikes me as a bit odd to say if they've only been going out for three weeks. So presumably they started to go out a bit earlier than that, which means that although they've been dating for weeks or even months, not only is she continuing to dress up as if she's about to go clubbing or something when she heads to the Arrow Cave to interact with Oliver, she still hasn't bothered to tell Mayo Cop what she does all day/night.  Not exactly a sign of a a deep, lasting or healthy relationship.

So either this is post breakup, or it's yet another indication that this is not much of a relationship. As said, the classic example of the problems with vague wording in these spoiler descriptions.

• Love 14

Every interview I read about Wilddog makes me dislike him more.  Respect isn't something that should only be given if someone can go out on the streets and fight.  Curtis and Evelyn are green but at least respect the person if not their skills.  The character comes off as so undeservingly arrogant when the actor talks about him that I'm wondering how much of my reaction is actually a dislike for the actor's personality rather than the character.

• Love 15
17 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I was keeping it vague since I wasn't in the spoiler thread, but yeah, it seems like if Tina is in fact "Dinah Drake" that this would be when they'd announce her.  I feel like they would have a hard time believing that they'd be able to contain themselves at the possibility of getting the new and improved Black Canary on the show. 

They're certainly welcome to try it and considering how awful they read their audience I wouldn't be surprised if she is Dinah, the new BC.  What I do know is if they go through with it I'm pretty certain that will be the final straw for the shipper crowd--even the ones who have been so zen about Mayo McTinyhands.  Everyone has their limit. If they think social media ratings have been dismal this season, I can't wait to see the mass exodus.  Most of the trend parties, fanart floods, voting pushes, and gifset makers will go bye-bye. As it is all that free promo has already begun to disappear. I say good luck with that, CW.

Me?  I'll just be over here with my popcorn, laughing at the ineptitude of TPTB.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 18

I don't understand the love for Mad Dog that the EPs seem to have, or the reason to have him do press and none of the other n00bs.  As a character, he is the least interesting of the three to me.  Even Evelyn has a more interesting reason to be there.  At this point, he's a thug more than anything else.

10 hours ago, quarks said:

So it's entirely possible that Felicity and Mayo Cop do break up in 505, leaving her wondering if she should contact her ex in 506 and let him know that she works with Team Arrow and needs his help and wow, how awkward is that?  It also explains why she's even wondering in the first place, instead of just going, ok, I'm dating this nice guy who is a straight shooter of course I'm going to ask him for help/tell him what I do for a living. I mean, the guy's already cooperating with the Green Arrow, so why wouldn't Felicity just tell him that she works with the Green Arrow too, unless, that is, they've broken up and she thinks it will be awkward?

It's also, of course, entirely possible that Felicity and Mayo Cop don't break up in 505, and Felicity spends 506 wondering if she should finally tell the boyfriend about her job. If that's the case, then by episode 506 Felicity has been dating this guy for at least seven weeks - shortly before the start of episode 501 until episode 506, assuming that Felicity and Mayo Cop just started to date before the start of season one. That's probably not a safe assumption, since in episode 502, Mayo Cop specifically complained about the fact that he's never met her friends, which strikes me as a bit odd to say if they've only been going out for three weeks. So presumably they started to go out a bit earlier than that, which means that although they've been dating for weeks or even months, not only is she continuing to dress up as if she's about to go clubbing or something when she heads to the Arrow Cave to interact with Oliver, she still hasn't bothered to tell Mayo Cop what she does all day/night.  Not exactly a sign of a a deep, lasting or healthy relationship.

You make good points, as you always d,o but both premises make little sense although the one where they have broken up makes me feel better.

Either way, Felicity, having been in a relationship with Mayo Cop for more than seven weeks (because she was close enough to him in 501 that he had a key to her apartment),  still hasn't told him what she does during the day that is so stressful she needs a back rub,  and worse, he still hasn't bothered to find out. 

Since Oliver didn't know about him till 505 (?), that's months that she's kept Mayo Cop hidden.

If they're going to infuriate us with this relationship, they could at least try a bit harder.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

If they're going to infuriate us with this relationship, they could at least try a bit harder

I'm of the opposite opinion.  Since this is just a waste of my time, the less effort put into it, the better I tolerate it. 

• Love 20

I'm not in favour of a well-crafted relationship between Felicity and Mayo because I want it over as fast as fast can be. 

But if they are going to write it, then at least don't write Felicity as being such an idiot. Even if Mayo is Felicity trying to see if she can have a relationship beyond Oliver (interview with EBR), at least let her be smart enough to think of a cover story for what she's doing all day.  Let her pretend that she's going to an office somewhere trying to write new programs so she begin her own consulting company.  If Mayo is such an idiot that he has no clue what she does during her day and swallows the worst lies and being hidden from her friends, it makes Felicity look like even more of an idiot being in a relationship with him.

I want it for Felicity's sake, not his.  If F/Mayo is going to cause Oliver to sleep with the reporter or NuCanary, at least make it worth enough to cause him to do it. There has to be a strong enough action to cause that reaction, not the damp squib that is Felicity/May.

• Love 3

I guess until proven differently, I'm just assuming that Felicity did feed him some plausible cover story for her actions.  Yes, the tale of her friend's cleaning lady makes that belief hard to cling to but yeah, here I am.  ;)

From MG's Collider interview (posted on page 47 of Spoilers thread):

When will Prometheus become more of a threat to Oliver and the team?
GUGGENHEIM: Episode 506 is when things really start to kick into a higher gear. It’s a 23 episode season. This is true for all the shows, especially when you have a big bad that’s introduced in the first episode, but you have to strike a balance between it becoming the Prometheus show and becoming very repetitive, and teasing it out. Episode 506 felt right to us because 505 felt like the end of a chapter, and then 506 kicks things into another gear.

Since 505 is supposed to be the big Olicity episode, doesn't this MG comment about 505 being like the "end of a chapter" just sound like another ominous hint about the end of Olicity? I mean, what else could they be closing a chapter on after five episodes?

Edited by tv echo
6 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Since 505 is supposed to be the big Olicity episode, doesn't this MG comment about 505 being like the "end of a chapter" just sound like another ominous hint about the end of Olicity? I mean, what else could they be closing a chapter on after five episodes?

No. Olicity isn't a chapter. It's a book.

The reference is presumably to:

a. The formation of Team Baby Arrows.

b. The Tobias Church plot. 

c. Oliver realizing who the real threat this season is: Prometheus. TA-DUM!  

Cue Prometheus finally doing something other than showing up in the last 30 seconds of an episode. 

• Love 17