Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Two things they did in the finale give me hope that the Oliver Queen vs. The Arrow dichotomy nonsense is over. One is that Oliver admitted this mission isn't his alone anymore, and he was perfectly aware that he could leave Starling City because there were other people willing to protect the city.

And the other is that losing the Arrow identity seems to have removed *the burden* of wearing the suit. He now can do whatever he wants to do, be whoever he wants to be. Which imo gives Oliver the peace of mind to be a hero solely because it so happens that he's pretty good at it, and he knows he can help. And he wants to. But not out of obligation, or vengeance, or guilt.

The other thing is that there is no one of consequence at this point who doesn't know his identities.  Thea knows, Ray knows, Quentin knows ... and so forth.  He is free to be. 

I also liked that they did not set up Damien to be yet another spectre of Oliver's past and hope they don't take the personal connections any closer than HIVE killing Diggle's brother.  For Diggle, it can be very personal, but Oliver's dirty laundry trashing Starling (Star City) is growing old. 

Did anyone else take the whole thing about a "haunting twist" at the end of the premiere with a bit of trepidation?

• Love 5

I think that might actually be a good way to solve Oliver's creepy compartmentalizing of his life.

It really is so, so creepy. He basically has Multiple Personality Disorder, which is a really, really serious mental illness. He totally creeped me out for the latter 2/3rds of S3.

Did anyone else take the whole thing about a "haunting twist" at the end of the premiere with a bit of trepidation?

I get nervous every time it sounds like they're walking back all the declarations of "Season 4 will be different! Oliver will be lighter!" There's SA recently saying "Our show is our show" and "The Green Arrow, while slightly happier and less angst ridden". And JB talking about needing tissues at the end of the premiere, and the comment about something that will "haunt the rest of the season". 

It just all reminds me that at the end of season 2, the EPs had also promised that season 3 would be lighter. And then by the time SDCC rolled around, they had to amend it to "Everyone will be lighter... for the first 20 minutes of the first episode."

• Love 3

Honestly I don't care if its lighter or not. I just want less stupid this year. The darkness does not always bother me... its the stupid or the ridiculous angst for plot purposes that bothers me. And so far it feels like we are heading into more plot cement as we drag out the LoT set-up.

• Love 10

All this talk about domestic Oliver, "at peace" Oliver makes me wonder if we're going to see any of this past the first ep (God, I sure hope so). I'm just remembering the chatter last year before the premiere about how Oliver had never smiled so much in his life -- which was actually true; he spent the first 20 minutes of the ep smiley before things went kablooey. The promise of a "lighter" season makes me slightly hopeful.

• Love 2

It's funny on the site that shall be unnamed everyone is bemoaning season four as if it is a done fact that they've abandoned Arrow's dark tone in favor of replicating the successful light tone of The Flash.    

I think it is more likely that when bad things are happening, everyone will be serious but in between, we'll have lighter moments just because everyone is no longer miserable all the time and this season doesn't feel like it is going to be as personally painful as last season...at least until they get to the Diggle/Andy stuff. 

Side note, I wonder if we will get a flashback to Andy Diggle dying.   Did we ever hear the specifics on Andy's death?   Was Diggle around?  Could he have been there? 

• Love 4

Lol there's no satisfying those people until the show is a play by play of the comics.I've seen some people saying that Oliver doesn't deserve his new suit and being called GA because he didn't act "Ollie-like " in the show.And they said in one of the SDCC interviews that its still gonna be Arrow,that the lightness there is different from the Flash.

I think they might show Andy's death since its such a big part of Diggs story and there was some talk of Deadshot returning for flashbacks.

It's funny, for me, the idea that Oliver is aware that he can NOT be a superhero, and then decide he wants to be one, is the cornerstone of what being the Green Arrow from the comics is all about. He could be just a playboy billionaire, and go professional Olympics on the archery thing. But he wants to help those in need, and he CAN do it super well, so he does.

One of the biggest writing problems in S3 is everybody was miserable at the same time for the entire season. Which looking back makes me seriously wonder if these folks have EVER watched all the cult tv they talk about so much, because LOL. TV Writing For Team Stories 101: make one or two characters have a problem and/or go dark. Then make the rest of them team engaged by being optimistic supporters, and make them all work together to solve said problem and/or get their friends out of the dark.

It is not rocket science. And yet.

• Love 5

There's been hints of three twists in the first episode.  Some twist involving Felicity.  A flashback twist involving Oliver maybe in Coast City.  And a BIG twist at the end of the episode involving Quentin.

(edited)

SUMMARY OF SEASON 4 INFO REVEALED BY EPS & CAST AT SDCC 2015 + S4 SPOILERS

S4 In General (part 1 of 23)
-- Starling City will be renamed Star City. (Flicks and the City video of SA's live Green Arrow intro at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per MG, they're definitely spending a lot more time in the city in S4. (Unidentified video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per AK, "the show isn't going to suddenly become a comedy"; there's more fun and more humor this year, but it still takes place on rooftops, and still shooting arrows, and still takes place in the rain. (Flicks and the City video of full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per MG, even though the show will have a lighter tone in S4, it will not feel at all like The Flash. (MG tumblr post, page 169 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- On S4's brighter tone and how to do that, WM: “Oliver is in a happier place at the end of Season 3, and we are going to start in that same place in Season 4. I really think that’s what’s driving the difference in tone. We are basically going to allow Oliver and the team to explore what it’s like to see Oliver in a really different place. He came back from the island, and he was a different man. It was always talked about him having PTSD, and it was basically like a solider coming back from war. Now he is with Felicity, he is happy, and you see a brightening tone and a little more humor in the show. It’s really more a reflection of where he is emotionally rather than anything else.” (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- Per WM, in the beginning, Arrow was conceived as being "more procedural”, but they moved away from that very quickly. "But one of the things that we discovered that really works is that making sure that whatever Oliver’s going through emotionally really speaks to the action. And that's really what we work for in every episode.  And that it's evolved, but it's pretty much the core of what we do." (Unidentified video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread; and io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- S4 will be brighter and will feature magic. There was an "orgy of plot twists" in S3, and S4 will not be that crazy, according to MG.  "It's a new beginning."  The producers also promised much more focus on Diggle and Felicity, as almost co-leads with Oliver. (io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- MG: "Season three we did some really, really crazy things. What I really like about season four is, it's going to have its normal twists and turns, but I don't think it's as, you know, sorta crazy tunes storytelling like we were doing, you know, in season three - where it's these plot twists were coming at you so - it was like an orgy of plot twists towards the end... It's a new beginning... it feels like a new show, not a brand new show, but it definitely feels like the show is evolving, as all shows should do, to stay fresh and current." (Unidentified video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per SA, it's "too early to tell" what the theme of S4 will be, which "is a good thing." (Blastr on Periscope video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- A big theme in S4 is the existence of magic. This will change everything, and JB says he’ll be at the center of that because he’s “Merlyn the Magician.” (io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: "There's a nice new element of magic - mysticism - this year that I think will also tie into Oliver's flashback story because when it appears on the scene, it is something - as it normally is - that he is familiar with from his time away."  (Laura Brown video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: "The element that we are choosing this year is magic and mysticism. And Oliver alludes very early on in the season that this is something that he has seen before. Clearly that will play into this year’s flashbacks for him, but it’s an interesting wrinkle." (Seat42F video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; ScreenRant article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread; and CinemaBlend article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per WM, magic and mysticism is something they haven't done on the show before. "It isn't meta, which I think is important as well." It keeps it in the world of Arrow, and allows them to explore powers and threats "and scary things". (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- On the theme for S4, WM: "We're exploring the idea of magic. But also, we're really exploring the idea of family. What does it mean - not just the Team Arrow family, but the Queen family, and Diggle's family, Felicity's family - we'll be expanding the univer - er, the characters to see what these people are like when they go home, see what their lives are like outside the 'Arrowcave'. And also what does it mean to be part of a family. And the difference between found family and biological family... what does that mean to each of our characters." (Unidentified video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread; io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread; and Eonline article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Having gotten his hands on the first few scripts of Season 4, SA said that "it still feels like our show but there are different elements that I think people are going to enjoy." One of the early highlights for him has been that "we get to see some characters interact that weren’t always the closest of friends or interacting on a regular basis which is neat when you’re doing new stuff in the fourth season of a show."  (TV Junkies article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per SA, because there are no longer secret identities among the regular cast, there will some new interactions this year  like Malcolm & Felicity or Laurel & Thea. (Flicks and the City video of full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)

-- On S4, EK: "I can’t say too much about it because I don’t want to break any stories before producers get anything out. They would probably not be happy with that. (laughs)  But I can say that there’s going to be some kick-ass villains, you’re going to have some new kick-ass super heroes and some new relationships building up between different people.  I think its going to be awesome.  I think its going to be one of the best seasons yet."  (The Geeko interview part 2 with EK, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: “People that are fans of the comics and the canon are going to be extremely excited with what we’re doing in Season 4.” (Yahoo article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: "We will always have flashbacks.  They won't always be Oliver's flashbacks, which is always a real treat for me because I get some time off... I'm sure we'll do a flashback-heavy episode, you know, like we always do. But, um, he ends up in an interesting spot this year." (Unidentified video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 157 of Behind the Mask)
-- Per MG, they'll definitely be doing more non-Oliver flashbacks, but later in the year than before. The first non-Oliver flashback will be in 4x08. (Unidentified video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- On flashbacks, MG: "We have a plan... but what we do with the flashbacks this year will really surprise people.” They keep talking about their endgame with the flashbacks. We won’t see any non-Oliver flashbacks until episode 8 this year, because they interrupted the Hong Kong storyline too early last year and it killed some of the momentum of that story. (io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- On flashbacks, SA: “No comment. Where the flashbacks are taking place this year is a plot point that shall remain a secret. We haven’t filmed anything yet so we don’t have a trailer to show anybody, but I actually think it will play well to what the audience will discover in October when everyone else does.” (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 67 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- GJ teased that, in addition to Damien Darhk, “there’s another big [DC character] coming... There’s a lot of characters coming up that people won’t really guess” from the DC Universe. (Flicks and the City video of full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per WM, they hope to bring in a good female villain this season. (TV Fanatic video of media interview with WM at SDCC 2015, page 166 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per WM, they want to bring Matt Ryan's version of John Constantine to Arrow. (ComicBook article, page 66 of Starling City Times thread)

-- On whether we'll ever see the Green Arrow Weapon Clans, MG: "Oh, you know, we've talked about it. We've absolutely talked about it. It comes up in the writers' room all the time... And Katana was introduced - and we're just waiting for the right story to tell. You know, we never approach it from the standpoint of 'we gotta get that in, we gotta get that character, we gotta name check that person' - it's always organic for us... We love the Arrow Clans and eventually, I'm sure they'll end up on the show. " (DC All Access video of interview with Arrow cast, page 562 of Spoiler Discussion thread)

(to be continued)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6
(edited)

Oliver & Felicity AKA Olicity (part 2 of 23)
-- Per WM, both Oliver and Felicity will be in a better place in S4. (TV Fanatic video of interview with WM at SDCC 2015, page 166 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per SA, Oliver and Felicity will be living in a domesticated state when S4 begins. (Fangirlish video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and Periscope interview with SA, page 152 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- "Well they’ve been away," joked SA about where we pick up with the couple in the premiere. "They are away and I believe they are still away when we get going again," he says. Does this mean that Season 4 may actually give Olicity a shot at being happy together? "Well you never know, but I think if anyone has a decent chance it’s Oliver and Felicity. Time will tell," SA teased. (TV Junkies article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per WM, the five-month hiatus leading up to 4x01 is a period of "domestic bliss" for Oliver & Felicity. "It's been really good," MG said of their time alone. "There's been a lot of sex!" (Eonline article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)

-- MG: "Oliver never really got the chance to live a normal life... He's never had a normal life. What these last five months with Felicity have represented is normalcy... I think the bloom hasn't fallen off the rose of that for Oliver." (Access Hollywood article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread and page 561 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- Per WM, we will get a glimpse of where Oliver & Felicity have been traveling during the 5-month hiatus.  But, according to SA, "they have landed." (TVLine video of interview with Arrow cast and WM at SDCC 2015, page 65 of Starling City Times article)
-- While Oliver & Felicity were away, they spent some time hiking in the mountains and now have a framed photo of themselves as a memento. (SA's facebook pic, page 170 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Instead of traveling the roadways for five months, Oliver & Felicity settled into a place that is not Starling City. (WhatCulture article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: "We go, we vacation, we land in a spot that is not Starling City, we have established a nice, relatively domesticated life by Arrow standards... But there are problems in [starling City] that, based on breaking news of recent days, most likely relate to a Mr. Damien Darhk." (IGN video of interview with SA, EBR and WM at SDCC 2015, page 157 of Behind the Mask; and IGN article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)

-- MG: "So now, when we pick up with Oliver in season four, he is happy.  He’s still happy.  We know - it’s not like… we’re not doing what we did in season three where in the season premiere, Oliver - you know, he starts off with Felicity, everything’s going great, and then we blow up - we literally blow up the relationship.  It’s not going to be like that season four -  It’s going to be a lot more complex and nuanced, um, as they try, for the first time, to make their relationship work while Oliver’s still going out and fighting crime." (Access Hollywood article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread and page 561 of Spoiler Discussion thread)

-- On Oliver & Felicity, MG: "And unlike season three where they were happy and then we literally blew them up in the middle of the season premiere, this is going to be a little more nuanced and interesting.  It's going to be exploring the ins and outs, and ups and downs of their relationship."  (DC All Access video of interview with Arrow cast, page 562 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- Per WM: During their time away, Oliver & Felicity have been very very, happy, living in a city "not to be named" but not in Starling City.  They'll be returning to the city and the mission, and Oliver will again be the Arrow.  One of the things the show will explore is "what it's like to try to have a relationship and be doing this crimefighting - Arrow, superhero mission at the same time." (TV Fanatic video of interview with WM at SDCC 2015, page 166 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per EBR, we'll see Oliver & Felicity "in the best they've been as a couple." Oliver & Felicity's discontent will not be with each other.  For Oliver & Felicity, they have to figure out "what they mean in the world as a team, as a couple."  Life has been about running from bullets and for their lives, so they have to find "less dangerous things to do, like maybe go out for dinner and that sort of thing... I think it's more finding, 'Are we happy doing this forever? Is this what it is? Should we take up a hobby, like canoeing?'" (Seat42F video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and Examiner article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: "It's interesting to learn who has enjoyed this process more, be it Oliver or Felicity." (Seat42F video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and ComicBook article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: "We do get to see some of the interplay with them, and they are very happy. It's interesting who is happier than the other one, who is more at peace than the other one.  It's almost always - if you were to say, who's restless, who's angst-ridden, who's this, who's that - of course, it would be Oliver. Oliver is totally at peace at the beginning of season four." (Laura Brown video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask thread; and Yahoo article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: "Our show is our show. I’m not going to spend five episodes in domestic bliss in nowhere town. The show is the show. We come back, five months have happened, and conveniently, right when we pick back up again, I get activated, so to speak."  (ScreenRant article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- WM: "I think the biggest obstacle [for the couple] will be the decision as to whether he'll come back and be the Arrow again... We're going to explore what it's like for them to be a couple and be in the lair together. These are life and death stakes when they go out every night; how does that affect you when your girlfriend you love the most is there with you and vice versa." (Eonline article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- WM: "[Oliver & Felicity] are going to be very happy at the start of season four.  And what we really want to do this season is explore what it’s like to try to have a relationship in the Arrowcave and outside. So they are going to stay together, but we are going to explore kind of the ups and downs of their boyfriend/girlfriend relationship while there both out there being Felicity and the Arrow." (Unidentified video of media interview of MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 168 of Behind the Mask thread; Whedonopolis video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 169 of Behind the Mask thread; and Hypable article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per MG, not everything will be Oliver's fault in Olicity's relationship disagreements in S4. (MG tumblr post, page 169 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per EBR, Oliver & Felicity are giving their relationship “a fair shot,” although there are complications, of course. “We do get to see them as a couple. I don’t know how long—maybe it lasts a year, maybe a couple of episodes.” (io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread; and ObsessedWith Arrow video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 015, page 160 of Behind the Mask)
-- EBR: "I think just because we had last season had a lot of push and pull, and they had to trust each other... going off into the sunset, you have to have that mutual trust that we're going to actually give this a real shot - they've had the past five months to sorta do that, and vacation. Now we're coming back, and we get to see them being a couple, working together as a couple - but also they've left something that occupied their lives in such a large way that there's going to be this little bit of a void, and how are they filling that? And I think that's more of the question that brings them back around to color another shade into their lives - but now as a team." (IGN video of interview with SA, EBR and WM at SDCC 2015, page 157 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- EBR: "It's going to be very velveteen, sensuous... We kind of get to see them in their life as a couple, which'll be really nice, which is what I wanted, so I'm happy about that." When "Arrow" returns in October, Felicity will be growing more confident and comfortable in her relationship with Oliver on a romantic level, changing the dynamic. "It does because it takes away Felicity sort of walking on eggshells to a certain extent because she would touch him and be like, 'Oh my God,' but now she kind of gets to touch him and still be like, 'Oh my God,' but she's allowed to stay there. And I think that that's something we all go through with relationships anyway, but especially with her sort of having that with Oliver for so long and not knowing whether or not it was ever going to happen and all these exterior forces."  Quickly adding, "But who knows? It could end." (Access Hollywood article, page 66 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per EBR, we get to see Oliver & Felicity as a couple.  "We get to seem them happy for a bit - 'a bit' being the primary word there... I didn't say it was going to fail.  I just mean we love tortured love, and that might be one of the next steps." (ExtraTV video of interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- On whether Oliver & Felicity work better as friends or lovers, EBR: “I don’t know if it’s necessarily working better in a relationship. I do think that if they give it a fair shot and be honest to each other and trust each other, I think that’s a beautiful union. But Oliver has had a hard time trusting [in things], and I think it has made Felicity having a harder time trusting because you are with someone that you care for and that you love, and sometimes you can be in love with somebody and not be with them. That is always a hard pill to swallow." (TV Overmind video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 67 of Starling City TImes thread)

(to be continued)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

Oliver Queen AKA Green Arrow (part 3 of 23)
-- Oliver gets a new vigilante costume and his new vigilante name will be Green Arrow.  (Flicks and the City video of SA's live Green Arrow intro at SDCC 2015 and MG tweet of 4x01 title, pages 161 and 165 of Behind the Mask thread; and various news articles on page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- GB: “We’ve always said the progression for Oliver is very much from the Arrow to Green Arrow. This is first real stop in that direction." Per WM, S4 is a "new chapter".  It won't be looking back as much as looking forward to who Oliver is going to become, rather than who he's been in the series. (Flicks and the City video of full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015, page 64 of Starling City Times thread; and unidentified video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread)
--  MG: "[Arrow] was always conceived as an origin show. We always said, 'we're doing Arrow, not Green Arrow.' And each year, whether it was depressing and dark, or light and hopeful, we were always progressing Oliver's character towards becoming the Green Arrow, the superhero, um, as opposed to the Hood of season one, who was a dark - basically a serial killer. So, um, I think season four really shows you where we always thought we were headed." (CBR TV video of interview with MG, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)

-- MG: "We always wanted to evolve Arrow as a show and Oliver as a person to a place where he was happy. We started off the show where he returns from these five years in hell, he's got PTSD, he's a tortured - I mean, at the end of the first act, it's him with his hand around his mother's neck. And we were always saying we wanted to take that guy and turn him into a hero. And turn him into someone who's actually optimistic and represents lightness and not darkness. And that - it took three years. So now, when we pick up with Oliver in season four, he is happy.  He’s still happy.  We know - it’s not like… we’re not doing what we did in season three where in the season premiere, Oliver - you know, he starts off with Felicity, everything’s going great, and then we blow up - we literally blow up the relationship.  It’s not going to be like that season four -  It’s going to be a lot more complex and nuanced, um, as they try, for the first time, to make their relationship work while Oliver’s still going out and fighting crime." (Access Hollywood article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread and page 561 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- SA: "We've taken Oliver through his first chapter. Meanwhile, we've taken all of our other core members - they are beginning a new chapter as well. You know, they have graduated to sorta where we found Oliver at the beginning of the series, minus the suicidal tendencies, probably. But I'm excited that there are wrinkles and elements to the character this year that really follow a lot closer to my personality... I'm really hoping that these new elements breathe some fresh air into the show." (TV Equals video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- SA: "It's doesn't take very long for Oliver to get back to Starling City, but whether or not that includes him crimefighting or doing what he did before remains to be seen." (Blastr on Periscope video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)

-- On what will ultimately bring Oliver back to Starling City, SA: "Impending doom, as it always does." (ComicBook article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)

-- DD is the reason Oliver returns to Starling City to suit up once again. MG: “[Oliver] left the city in very good hands... He entrusted Laurel, Diggle and Thea to mind the fort. Damien represents a threat that three heroes are not enough to combat." (EW article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- AK: “When the season starts, he’s in a much better place. He’s happy. He’s in love. That feeling infuses all the characters. There’s a little bit more fun [and] more humor.” (Flicks and the City video of full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)

-- On whether Oliver is jonesing to put back on the hood, SA: "Oliver feels great. Doesn't need to go back. Relaxed. At peace. Happy. Easygoing."  (DC All Access video of interview with Arrow cast, page 562 of Spoiler Discussion thread)

- On playing a brighter and more comic-like version of Oliver, SA: “It’s not moving to play a lighter Oliver Queen, it’s just getting to play with more notes than being just sad all the time. That’s cumbersome if you are an audience member, it’s cumbersome if you are playing the character, it is cumbersome, period. It’s also not as interesting as Oliver going through different phases. I think it has been important and critical to where we have ended up and I hope we get to see some different sides of him” (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 67 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- When asked by a fan if Oliver will be a billionaire again or still broke, SA answered that Oliver has a "sugar mama" [referring to Felicity].  (Flicks and the City video of full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per SA, when S4 begins, Oliver is in the midst of "domestic bliss".  "A very contented, a very happy, a very easygoing Oliver Queen."  As a boyfriend, Oliver is "incredibly attentive." He doesn't miss being the Arrow. "He's at peace." (ExtraTV video of interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- On Oliver as boyfriend, EBR: "From what we know so far, I think he's good at it.  I think he didn't realize how good he was at it, and it made him more of a - solidified his adulthood to a certain extent." (Extra TV video of interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- On Oliver realizing he could be happy with Felicity, EBR: "I think it's awesome that someone can recognize that they're happy. I don't find that that's something that people actually say - like 'oh, I'm happy'... I mean, 'how are you? I'm good.", autopilot, move on... but I think the acknowledgment for himself, finding out that he was happy and possibly grounded more than he has been in the last ten years because now he's more safe, more secure with people he loves, um, I think that is really important and a big life goal for Oliver." (TV Equals video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- SA: "He's a domesticated gentleman.... there are things around the house that Oliver takes to much quicker than Felicity." (Clevver video of interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask)
-- On where Oliver is at the start of S4, SA: "He's running and assisting children and cooking breakfast." ObsessedWith Arrow video of EW interview with Arrow cast at SDCC 2015, page 160 of Behind the Mask)
-- On where we find Oliver when S4 beings, SA: "I'm running, like always. He's always running. Season one, in season two, season three, he's running. You go back and watch. So he is running again this year. He will always be running. But he's in a very different spot... Oliver always tends to come into the new season with a new skill set. And he does have a new skill set this year - it's just entirely related to domestic living." Oliver is "100%" accepting of a chance of happiness with Felicity. "Oliver is almost entirely at peace when we first see him. And we see that both emotionally in terms of his state and, uh, I pitched an idea where we actually see a literal physical change that shows that he has moved past some of the things that have happened to him over the past several years." (TV Equals video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- SA: "Oliver is totally at peace at the beginning of season four. I mean we see that in an emotional sense, and in a - I almost feel like, a body-posture sense, but we also definitely - we see it... this was actually one of my pitches. We have a really cool way of actually physically seeing Oliver removing some of what has happened to him over the past eight years." (Laura Brown video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- SA: "Five months have passed [since the S3 finale], and Oliver has learned a bunch of new skills. Typically, when we come back from a hiatus, it’s like a new suit, or a new bow, or he decided that he wanted to take up jujitsu. But this time around, almost all the skills pertain to domestic life... It's interesting this year. When Oliver re-enters Starling City, it's a different guy, which is exciting for me because this will be our 70th episode when we begin on Monday.. He's going to consider things differently. I know, I think we see a different Oliver. But when the rubber hits the road, when push comes to shove, when people he cares about are in danger, that’s sort of the primal instinct he’s always had. I would suspect that it would rear its relatively handsome head." (Seat42F video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; Periscope interview with SA, page 152 of Behind the Mask thread; ScreenRant article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread; and ComicBook article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)
-- WM: “We actually get to have Oliver make some jokes in the lair, which is a first,” and get to see what it’s like to have him in a relationship and working with someone who's part of his superhero mission. (Flicks and the City full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- WM: "He's in a really happy place at the end of season three. And he's going to continue to be in a happy place at the top of four. And I think we're going to be seeing a different Oliver Queen this season than we've seen in past years. And that is partly due to Felicity... The trick of it is how is he going to be the Arrow and be a good boyfriend to her. I don't know how that's going to turn out.  We're still figuring that out as we go." (Clevver video of interview with WM at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask)
-- Per SA, Oliver has been "up against it" and "in dire straits" ever since Slade Wilson walked into the Queen Mansion.  It was important to go through that to get to where we are now, but going back there for the same reasons wouldn't be interesting.  So when there are "dire circumstances", as there will be, "Oliver is going to deal with them in a different way".   (Laura Brown video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask thread;  Arrow TV video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread; and io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: "I'll tell you something right now, if you want to know Oliver Queen's public policies, you're going to love season four." (Unidentified video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 157 of Behind the Mask)
-- Oliver won't be looking back as much at his past mistakes, and instead will be moving forward. Per WM, they want to do much more “Oliver in a suit” stories. Oliver will go back to having a public persona, and will be splitting his time between being the Arrow and being Oliver much more this year. WM: “We’re going to have a lot of fun with that." And we’ll be spending more time in Starling City again. (Unidentified video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread; io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread; and Yahoo article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: “Of course, he can't be the Arrow anymore... One of the things I feel like we lost in half of season two and season three was the public persona of Oliver Queen. It's a really important part of the show that I be out there, doing things. And, I will say that, on the public persona side, people that are fans of the comics and the canon are going to be extremely excited with what we're doing in season four."  (Laura Brown video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask thread; and io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: "There's a nice new element of magic - mysticism - this year that I think will also tie into Oliver's flashback story because when it appears on the scene, it is something - as it normally is - that he is familiar with from his time away."  (Laura Brown video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: "The element that we are choosing this year is magic and mysticism. And Oliver alludes very early on in the season that this is something that he has seen before. Clearly that will play into this year’s flashbacks for him, but it’s an interesting wrinkle." (Seat42F video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; ScreenRant article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread; and CinemaBlend article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- SA: “Me personally being a dad, I would love to see how Oliver interacts with having a kid. Obviously, it would be a different experience from that experience, but I think that storyline deserves further attention. One of the big tenets of Greg Berlanti is you don’t introduce something to the audience, you don’t tease it if you are not going to follow through with it [in] some shape or form. So I think it’s a safe bet that Oliver will find out about his child at some point.”  (Seat42F video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; ScreenRant article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread; and ComicBook article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per MG, the girl that Oliver got pregnant in 2x20 was white, while Connor Hawk is mixed-race in the comics.  So while there's a good chance Oliver will find out about his kid, that kid will not be Connor Hawk. (MG tumblr post, page 173 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- SA: "I read the comics very sparingly, and I just trust in the character that we've built. I play Oliver Queen with all of his own idiosyncrasies... You get in. You get on the ground. You get 69 episodes to do a series.  My Arrow is my Arrow.  So -  the comics Arrow is the comics Arrow. The fact that he now - the comics looks like me is just cool. But they can continue to write it however they want." (Blastr on Periscope video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)

-- SA: "The Arrow is not an inspiration...but the Arrow is dead, so if there is a new version of that hero, hopefully one of the things that he strives to do is inspire people. That is the basic tenet of a superhero -- that they have to make people believe in something bigger than themselves." (ComicBook article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)

-- Per SA, Oliver will never have a goatee on Arrow.  (SA tweet, page 176 of Behind the Mask thread)

(to be continued)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Felicity Smoak (part 4 of 23)
-- The producers promised much more focus on Felicity and Diggle, as almost co-leads with Oliver. (io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per WM, one of the things they want to do in S4 is explore more individual stories with Felicity (and with Diggle), and see what it's like when she goes home at the end of the day, and meet more members of her family - maybe see her mother again. Also, Felicity will be taking on more of a bigger role, both in her day job and within TA. We won't be seeing a lot of weepy, sad Felicity in S4. (TV Fanatic video of interview with WM at SDCC 2015, page 166 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per EBR, we'll see a stronger Felicity this season. (ObsessedWithArrow video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 160 of Behind the Mask)
-- EBR: "She's in love.... She's happy in her relationship." (Blastr on Periscope video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per DR, S4 will be an important season for Felicity because her father is part of H.I.V.E. (Fan tweet, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- EBR thinks that if Daddy Smoak comes, he'll come at the end of this season or closer to the end. (Blastr on Periscope video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per MG, Felicity has moved out of her apartment, so we will not see it again in S4. (MG tumblr post, page 173 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per MG, Felicity is not pregnant. (Scans from TV Guide Magazine's SDCC 2015 special, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- There is a twist in 4x01 involving Felicity. (Periscope interview with SA, page 152 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- On whether Felicity did the wrong thing by leaving with Oliver, DR: “That is interesting because we are going to have something very interesting to say about Felicity in 4.01 as well, and that question will be answered, I can’t give that one away; that’s a big reveal. The quick answer to that is no. I think the answer to that is no, but there is a little twist in terms of what is happening with Felicity at the top of Season 4.” (TV Overmind video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 67 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- And fans can expect some "surprises" when it comes to Felicity this upcoming season, with WM teasing, "We'll have some surprises in terms of her actual ambitions beyond the relationship...I think she likes what they do. She has ambitions to be her own version of a superhero." (Eonline article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
--  EBR: "I feel that she's going to start off lighter, which is going to be great because I feel that she emotionally exhausted herself last season... She gives a lot, she's very giving, and I don't think that she was really taking care of herself, which makes it hard to take care of other people, so I think that the five months away has regenerated that part of herself." (Seat42F video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media  interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; Examiner article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread; and Hypable article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- On what Felicity is looking for now in life after getting to be with the man she loves, EBR: “I think that when she sort of left this world behind her that she wasn’t necessarily aware of how much she was going to be miss it and that is going to be the next big challenge for her. She is also testing what this relationship [with Oliver] is going to be as well, to a certain extent, because Oliver has promised now, a 1000 times, ‘We can do this now, I’m OK, I have let go of some things and maybe now is our time, it’s going to work.’ And maybe she is thinking. ‘I’m missing something. What am I missing?'” (TV Overmind video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 67 of Starling City TImes thread; and  Blastr on Periscope video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- EBR: "I feel like, when we find her again, we see her with a void. And I don't know if she necessarily knows exactly what it is yet. But I do feel that this life that she's chosen in this Arrow realm before she just left, sorta her day job. She didn't realize how much she appreciated her purpose and what strength it was giving her to have this new dynamic in helping people, and how good that was making her feel.  And I think when you go away and you live your happy life for a bit and escape, you can get bored because there's not the testing or the obstacles, and maybe she's not helping people in the way she wants to."  (TV Equals video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread; and GreenArrowTV article, page 65 of Starling City Times thread)
-- That search for purpose - where she and Oliver are "no longer dodging bullets every five minutes" - will be a particular facet of Felicity's individual story as S4 begins. Per EBR, Felicity no longer has this night job running an Arrow team. Becoming part of the team was a big life change for her, and it opened her up to people. Now, the lack of that purpose will weigh on Felicity, asking "Will she be able to continue on being happy?" At the same time, EBR said the five months away has "regenerated" her character. (Seat42F video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; and ComicBookResources article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per EBR, Felicity demonstrates a different kind of strong female character than the ones who suit up at night, and that's something she thinks is important. "I think it's authentic to her and a lot of women out there, we can all be strong and you can do it in a hundred different ways, and I really appreciate that she's authentic to herself and has stayed strong to herself and hopefully honest to herself... You don't necessarily need a suit to fight crime. You don't need to be the 'patriarchal' definition of strong to be strong." (Seat42F video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and Examiner article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)
-- On costume envy, EBR: "I don't think Felicity really wants a suit because I think she - we gotta give respect to her that she really loves her computer. She really does, and I think she's a hero behind that.  She's all geared up with all this tech. They don't get the tech.  I mean they have cell phones and a bluetooth, but who cares. And I do believe that she feels like she's a hero there, and she's playing her part.  And just because she doesn't have a suit doesn't mean she's not kicking ass." (TV Equals video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread; and GreenArrowTV article, page 65 of Starling City Times thread)
-- On everyone else on TA having picked up a weapon and started fighting and whether we'll see more physicality from Felicity, EBR: "Offended. One. Two, she kicks ass behind the computer. She's a hero in her own sense. I do think it would be irresponsible of Diggle and Oliver for the past three seasons to not be training her. There's a lot that we buy when we watch story or tv that we say that happens off-screen and I believe it because you never get story anywhere. And she works out... I do believe that she has been training, but I don't know if we're going to see her physical because if she were to be physical, then who's going to be behind the computer? And she's a hero in her own sense, whether she has a suit or not." (Blastr on Periscope video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per WM, Felicity is going to be the one that brings Ray back to the show. (IGN video of interview with SA, EBR and WM at SDCC 2015, page 157 of Behind the Mask)
-- Felicity will be instrumental in discovering that Ray managed to shrink himself in the lab acccident that saw an entire floor of PT exploding into his face. (WhatCulture article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)

(to be continued)

• Love 4
(edited)

Team Arrow (part 5 of 23)
-- TA will be moving into "an absolutely amazing" new hideout, fit for the show's growing ensemble. (Scans from TV Guide Magazine's SDCC 2015 special, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- In Oliver's absence, Diggle is "the de facto leader of Team Arrow" and he's leading the team with Speedy and BC, and they're protecting Starling City.  They're a "well-oiled machine" and they're very good at what they do.  But HIVE takes it to another level.  (Seat42F video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and ComicBook article, page 67 of Starling City Times article)
-- DR: “In 4.01, Diggle – de facto the leader of the team – Speedy, and Black Canary are the team, and they are a well-oiled machine. You are going to see that right at the beginning, even without Arrow. It’s a very good piece of writing, because we are doing it even without him, so why does he have to come back? That’s part of the story of 4.01.” (TV Overmind video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 67 of Starling City TImes thread)

-- Per DR, in Oliver's absence, Diggle will be in control "for a time." DR: "At the beginning of season four, you see a very well-oiled Team Arrow without Arrow. But we will be requiring, obviously, Arrow's help very very soon because we're going to be facing a major nemesis this season - actually, many villains this season."  (DC All Access video of interview with Arrow cast, page 562 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- TA 2.0, composed of Diggle, Laurel and Thea (with Diggle in charge), has been handling regular crime in Starling City just fine on their own. (WhatCulture article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Laurel is a full-fledged member of TA coming into S4. (Scans from TV Guide Magazine's SDCC 2015 special, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per WH, Thea will be part of TA, but she's new to it all so she's got a bit of a learning curve to work through.  Diggle has several years on her, and Laurel's got about a year on her.  They are all supposed to be very different in their training and fighting styles, except that Malcolm, Oliver and Thea are supposed to be the most similar because they were trained by the LOA.  Those three are also all archers, Malcolm and Thea are master swordsmen now, and Oliver definitely knows how to use a sword. There should be conversations between Thea and Laurel about differences in their styles and "how to come back to reality from it." (FanBolt article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)

-- MG: “[Oliver] left the city in very good hands... He entrusted Laurel, Diggle and Thea to mind the fort. Damien [Darhk] represents a threat that three heroes are not enough to combat.” (EW article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)

John Diggle (part 6 of 23)

-- The producers promised much more focus on Diggle and Felicity, as almost co-leads with Oliver. (io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)

-- Per WM, one of the things they want to do in S4 is explore more individual stories with Diggle and with Felicity. (TV Fanatic video of interview with WM at SDCC 2015, page 166 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- The solution to Diggle's concealment problem will be unveiled in 4x01. (Scans from TV Guide Magazine's SDCC 2015 special, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Diggle is getting a costume with a helmet. (Flicks and the City video of full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015 and ComicBook article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- DR didn't expect the new 'concealment' to be so "well-conceived". But they'd been talking about concealment for Diggle since the end of S1. (Seat42F video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; and Fangirlish video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread)

-- In Oliver's absence, Diggle is the de facto leader of Team Arrow, which includes him, Speedy and BC. (Seat42F video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; ComicBook article, page 67 of Starling City Times article; TV Overmind video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 67 of Starling City TImes thread; and WhatCulture article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)
-- According to DR, S4 will be an important season for Diggle because his brother Andy was killed by Deadshot. (Fan tweet, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Diggle has a personal connection to HIVE because his brother was killed by Deadshot, who was hired by HIVE, so he has a personal interest in taking down HIVE.  And the Big Bad for S4 is HIVE, DD and a few others. So Diggle's going to have a big, personal story this season. (Seat42F video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and ComicBook article, page 67 of Starling City Times article)
-- Per DR, Lyla is going to have some developments with ARGUS that Diggle's not going to agree with. Lyla's going to get more involved in ARGUS and, by association, so will Diggle. (Fangirlish video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; Examiner article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread; and ComicBook article, page 67 of Starling City Times article)
-- On Oliver's relationship with Diggle, SA: "[T]hings with Diggle are bad. They're really bad... There's certain lines you can't cross and when you do, you can't go back. And that's what Oliver did. Those were the stakes. So I really hope that that relationship can be repaired, but like you can break your leg, and you can get it fixed, and you can be like 99% of where you were, but you will have always broken your leg.  Even if there's a titanium rod in there, something is broken, something is cracked." (Laura Brown video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- DR: “Diggle is past being angry, it’s not just about he kidnapped my wife and left my child at home. He was pissed, but he just understands that this man does things a certain way, and that’s fine, he just can’t work with it. It’s gonna take some time to mend it.” While that may sound ominous, he followed it up with: “Both these men love each other. Yes, they do.” (Hypable article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per DR, Diggle's problem with Oliver isn't so much with kidnapping Lyla, but the fact Oliver trusted Malcolm more than his own team. Diggle's a soldier, so if Diggle can't trust Oliver in the field, then he'd rather not work with him. "It's going to take some work, but, yes, they will kiss and make up. It's just a matter of time... I don't think it'll be that big, and that's really a producer question... But it is going to be a baring of the soul. Like both of these men are going to have to be completely real and honest wth each other. In that sense, it'll be big." (Seat42F video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per DR, while the relationship between Diggle and Oliver is strained,  “the bromance will continue, it’s just going to take a minute.”  Also: “He’s a military guy, Diggle. He can’t trust the guy in the field next to him, it’s that simple,” Ramsey says. “He trusts Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman), a known psychopath, before he trusted his own team. He put Malcolm Merylin at the head of the League of Assassins, one of the greatest and most nefarious military organizations ever created — maybe not the wisest move in the world....  “These types of moves, I think, Diggle has a problem with. [He’s] not angry, he just can’t trust him.” As for reconcilation: “They will be getting to that mending very quickly in Season 4.” (Zap2it article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- On Diggle and Oliver, DR: “They are going to get married [joking]. That would be interesting. They are going to be taking a little bit of time. Both of these guys are alphas and both strong, but Oliver Queen for three years has been doing this on his own, even with a team, he gears off into his own. With a man like John Diggle, who is all about team and the unit, it just doesn’t sit well. This time, after Oliver Queen kidnapped his wife, left his child at home, and decided to trust Malcom Merlyn, who is a known psychopath, before he trusted his team, that’s just a straw that broke the camel’s back to Diggle. It’s going to take a little time for him to get in, but eventually it will. The bromance will continue, if you give it some time.” (TV Overmind video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 67 of Starling City TImes thread)

-- Per MG, Diggle will not become the Green Lantern. (EW article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)

(to be continued)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Laurel Lance AKA Black Canary (part 7 of 23)
-- Laurel is a full-fledged member of TA coming into S4. Oliver's acceptance of her as a legitimate member of TA positions her to be a lot more involved in the stories, including an interesting situation with her father, as well as "one big development for her" that MG can't talk about yet.  (Scans from TV Guide Magazine's SDCC 2015 special, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- On becoming the BC, KC: "When I first met with the producers before I took the show, they had kinda teased that that's where this character would go. I didn't know when. So it was definitely a long time coming. But I think the way that they did it was smart in making sure it was legitimate and as realistic as possible. And Laurel had to go through hardship, and get broken down, in order to come out the other side. So, when I found out it was actually happening happening, I was freaking out because I was so excited. And I wanted it to happen so bad. I mean, I was so happy. And then, last season we saw Laurel go out and  fight - but  she was really - out of heart because she didn't have the skill. And uh, this season, we'll see her a lot more polished. And for me as an actor, the way that I work, I would be training regardless and yet - I mean, ... I've been working really hard... it feels really freaking cool, you know, I can kick some ass - if anyone messes with me." (Unidentified video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- KC: "We'll definitely see Laurel a lot more polished... being a 'superhero' [in S4]." (Fangirlish video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per KC, Laurel will begin the year as a "more polished" crime fighter. "I wasn't the Black Canary overnight."  The process to that persona came at a slower pace, one KC found "more believable." When Laurel finally put on the mask last season, KC thought Laurel fought with "a lot of heart," and when S4 begins, Laurel will have the training and experience to back her up as she attempts to take up some of the slack left by Oliver. (Seat42F video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; and ComicBookResources article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- KC: "We saw Laurel last year. She obviously is a fighter and has a lot of heart... I've always said that... I think we'll see her this season a lot more polished and, you know, she's been training, she's been working on her skills as much as possible. I think we'll see her just develop and go - become even stronger. And I also think that Andrew Kreisberg made a good point. Laurel always sees the light at the end of the tunnel, um, as opposed to Oliver who, he can get into a dark place. Laurel always tries to see the positive in everything. And I think that she'll continue to do that." (TV Equals video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- On Oliver's relationship with Laurel, SA: "I know that there will be some issues with Laurel, but I think that we're going to move through those." (Laura Brown video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per MG, they're "certainly hoping to have more scenes between Laurel and Nyssa again."  (Scans from TV Guide Magazine's SDCC 2015 special, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Laurel will play a major role in launching the Arrow half of LoT. (WhatCulture article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Laurel will definitely "play a big part" on the influence of creating LoT. (Fangirlish video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and Fangirlish tweet, page 154 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- KC: "I think that she's going to be a big part of the creation of Legends." (TV Equals video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- On how proud Sara would be of Laurel's trajectory, KC: "I feel like she'd be so proud, also maybe a little worried." (TV Equals video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread; unidentified video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Seat42F video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; and Fangirlish video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread)

Quentin Lance (part 8 of 23)
-- Per PB, Quentin and his daughter Laurel will be "on the road to reconciliation." The toughest part of last year for Quentin was not getting the chance to bury his daughter Sara, but he will likely be able to forgive Laurel. (Seat42F video of media interview with PB at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with PB at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and ComicBookResources article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- PB: "We all do bad things. We all do good things. Clearly Lance has done plenty of bad things and so has Laurel, but they seem to be able to forgive each other eventually." (Examiner article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per PB, forgiveness is not something Quentin will easily offer to Oliver and TA. Though PB hopes to get back to the "cozy conversations" of S2, he says Quentin will take a pragmatic approach to Oliver and his team. "It's one of those things that's best for the city... If these guys are going around doing the best they can, Lance will give them some slack." (Seat42F video of media interview with PB at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; and ComicBookResources article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- PB: "It's one of those things where it comes down to what's best for the city. Lance has obviously got his ethics, the law, the system of justice, which he tries to abide to, but at the end of the day, for him, it's all about Starling City and what is best for that city."  The city is what matters the most for Quentin, after his daughters. (Examiner article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per PB, it would be a "waste of energy" to continue to try to bring the Arrow down. "Once the stuff starts hitting the fan in Starling City - like I said, the city is the most important thing to him, and if Arrow in whatever guise he is in this year, whatever form he is in, is around to help it, then he'll get over that.  And also, Laurel would've talked him through some of that stuff." (TV Equals video of media interview with PB at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- SA: "Everything is on the table with Lance. So whether he loves or hates Oliver's other persona - at least there's no bullshitting anymore." (Laura Brown video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- PB: "[A]t the end of - during episode one [of S4] - it's revealed that there's a little bit of a dark element going on in Lance's life... born out of that, at least in my mind, is how people will seemingly do bad things for what they believe is the right reason... There's a very interesting play by the end of episode one, you're like 'Lance? Really? Oh!'... But whether we end up considering it good or bad is up to the viewer." (Seat42F video of media interview with PB at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with PB at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and Examiner article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per PB, the audience will be surprised by a choice Quentin makes early in S4. "He'll do anything for the city, even if he ends up being a dick for doing it." (Seat42F video of media interview with PB at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; and ComicBookResources article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)

(to be continued)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Thea Queen AKA Speedy (part 9 of 23)
-- When asked for three words to describe 4x01, SA said: "What's wrong Speedy?" (SA tweet, page 136 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per WH, Thea will finally take on the Speedy superhero identity in S4. (Hollywood Reporter article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread).
-- Per WH, now that Thea has put on the red costume, they are “pushing [the name] Speedy as hard as they can, she wants to call herself Red Arrow.” Thea's getting "an amazing amount of self-esteem" out of being a hero. (io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)

-- Per WH, Thea wants to be called Red Arrow "as a homage to her big bro, but Speedy kinda stuck".  She wants to be the first one on the show with a cape.  She'll be part of Team Arrow, but she's new to it all so she's got a bit of a learning curve to work through.  Diggle has several years on her, and Laurel's got about a year on her.  She'll also be dealing with the fallout from her time in the Lazarus Pit. (FanBolt article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)

-- Per WH, Thea's transformation into Speedy is the fulfillment of a storyline planned from the pilot episode. "Before signing on, they told me that the character would move on to being a superhero eventually... They weren't a hundred percent sure it was going to be Speedy or not," though the mention of "Speedy" as a nickname in the pilot was a deliberate hint. But while her superhero identity was a long time coming, WH appreciated her character's slow, but deliberate, origin story. "One of my favorite things about this show is, no one wakes up one morning and goes, 'I'm gonna go save the world,' and puts on a costume. Everybody goes through something that leads them to this point." (ComicBookResources article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per WH, putting on the costume will be good for Thea because it's giving her a purpose finally and making her feel like she has meaning. (TV Equals video of media interview with WH at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)

-- On Thea becoming Speedy or Red Arrow, WH: "It's the greatest thing ever, honestly.  It's like the childhood dream come true. The first time I put on the costume I cried... happiness, complete happiness."  (DC All Access video of interview with Arrow cast, page 562 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- Per WH, with both her brother and her father out of town, Thea will probably form a stronger bond with Laurel and Diggle now that she's aware of everything that's going on. (TV Equals video of media interview with WH at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- On Oliver's relationship with Thea, SA: "Well, I mean, he's good with Thea, as long as she's good with herself, I suppose." (Laura Brown video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per WH, Thea's resurrection via the LP might have effects. "I don't think people would be resurrected and be normal after that." (ComicBookResources article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread; and Fangirlish video of media interview with WH at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per MG, Thea will not be HIV positive like Speedy in the comics. (MG tumblr post, page 169 of Behind the Mask thread)

Malcolm Merlyn AKA Dark Archer/The Magician/Ra's al Ghul (part 10 of 23)
-- Malcolm will remain a series regular in S4. (TVLine article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per MG, Malcolm will factor into Arrow, Flash, and LoT. (Scans from TV Guide Magazine's SDCC 2015 special, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per MG, Malcolm will keep the long cape but will get back in the hood in 4x03. (Flicks and the City video of full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- JB was not allowed to say when we'll see Malcolm when S4 begins. However, "when you see him, it will be, which is what I love about Malcolm, it's always [an 'Oh My God' moment]." (Seat42F video of media interview with JB at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with JB at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and Examiner article, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- JB: "I do know that he’s going to be even more evil and badass than what he was. And also… there will be magic involved because I am The Magician.” (Yahoo article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- A big theme in S4 is the existence of magic. This will change everything, and JB says Malcolm will be at the center of that because he’s “Merlyn the Magician.” (io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)

-- On Malcolm, JB: "I think it'll be interesting to see how his relationship with the League takes off.  It'll also be interesting to see if Malcolm as Ra's will help protect Team Oliver."  (DC All Access video of interview with Arrow cast, page 562 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- On Malcolm's attitude to TA, per JB, that deal Oliver made with Malcolm "introduced [him] more to the team."  Also, "I believe I have a soft spot for every one of those people on that team and I haven't figured out but maybe it's because of Tommy knowing most of them or it's because I look at Oliver as being like a son. My daughter, I knew I was training her to be part of it. I will protect them, but if I have to kill someone, I will. It's as black and white as that, but don't mess with them. Don't get in the way, because I will put my neck out on the line and protect them." (Seat42F video of media interview with JB at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with JB at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and Examiner article, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- JB: The “earthquakey trust” between Oliver and Malcolm will continue, and Malcolm may take TA under the wing of the LOA  a bit. But when “push comes to shove,” Malcolm will sacrifice anybody to survive and get what he wants. Malcolm has a soft spot for Oliver, whom he’s always thought of as a son, and the rest of his crew—but “he’ll still kill them if he has to.” (io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)

-- On Oliver feeling any great regret from having placed Malcolm at the head of the LOA, SA: "I've read three episodes of the season, and we haven't seen an interaction that would allow that to play out yet. I don't think that this is a bargain that Oliver enjoyed making, just like he didn't enjoy taking Diggle's wife and endangering their child. But he did it because in his mind, the ends justified the means." (ComicBook article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)

-- Per WM, although the main storyline will be with DD, they're going to have a lot of fun with Malcolm coming in and messing with Oliver's plans and also with DD since they are enemies as well. (Unidentified video of media interview of MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 168 of Behind the Mask thread; and Whedonopolis video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 169 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per WM, the LOA will still be a part of S4 but not as big as they were in S3.  Malcolm "will still be out there and still be a threat." (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- On whether the new Ra’s al Ghul, aka Malcolm Merlyn, will be the one to resurrect Sara, MG: “He’s got a strong point of view on [that]... It’s going to be handled head-on. We’re doing a really great episode that really tackles the question of Sara, death and resurrection. On Arrow, nothing is easy, so it’s not as simple as dumping her in the water.” (EW article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)

Nyssa al Ghul (part 11 of 23)
-- On Oliver's marriage to Nyssa, SA: "I don't think that weddings at knife-point in Nanda Parbat, lorded over by a sorceress, really count in the great scheme of things. Felicity did have that funny line in the finale about annulling the marriage, but no, that doesn't actually play." (Seat42F video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Fangirlish video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and ComicBook article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)

-- SA: "I think that there is an uncommon truce between them [Oliver and Nyssa], coming from the fact that I killed her father, and the only reason she was upset was that she wanted to be the one to do it. That being said, I installed her mortal enemy as the new leader of the League. So I'm sure when I see her, it's not going to be high-fives and hugs." (ComicBook article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per MG, they're "certainly hoping to have more scenes between Laurel and Nyssa again."  (Scans from TV Guide Magazine's SDCC 2015 special, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per WM, they're going to explore Nyssa's situation in Nanda Parbat and where we left her - those storylines will stay in Nanda Parbat and possibly come back to Starling City as well. (Unidentified video of media interview of MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 168 of Behind the Mask thread; and Whedonopolis video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 169 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per WM, the LOA will still be a part of S4 but not as big as they were in S3. There will be some interesting stories with Nyssa.  (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)

(to be continued)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Damien Darhk (part 12 of 23)
-- Neal McDonough has been cast as Damien Darhk. (TVLine article, page 63 of Starling City Times thread)
-- MG: “We just needed an amazing actor; someone who commanded the screen. With Matt Nable and John Barrowman and Manu Bennett, the bar is set really high. So we needed someone who could play at or above that level and in Neal, we found someone who has, if you’ll pardon the pun, the darkness and can project that menace that we need in a great villain. It’s a cliché, but it’s true: Your hero is only as good as your villain." (Unidentified video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread; and Yahoo article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)

-- MG: "When we found out Neal was interested, it... energized us in a way you can't even imagine because Neal is such an amazing actor. The first thing we did was we wanted someone who was a great actor, but then, what Neal also brings to it is an intensity and a darkness that is - I hate to say darkness because it's such a pun, but a darkness to the character of Damien. And Damien's a different kind of villain than we've had on the show before. He's not as stentorian as Ra's, he's not as looney toon as Slade, he's not as -- and people will be surprised I use this word -- but he's not as noble as Malcolm Merlyn. He's pure evil. We wanted someone who was truly, truly malevolent. We've never done that on the show before. All of our Big Bads always thought they were doing - the wrong thing for the right reason. This guy does the wrong thing for the wrong reasons... It's a bad situation to have this guy coming in. And the other thing that we're doing that's different is, in past seasons, you've had to wait 'til usually the mid-season finale to meet the Big Bad and have Oliver confront the Big Bad... We are coming out of the gate strong. We're not waiting and actually, that itself has really energized the show and it infuses even the quote-unquote villain of the week episodes with an epic-ness that they wouldn't otherwise have." (Access Hollywood article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread and page 561 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- Unlike in previous seasons, we won’t wait until halfway through the year before really meeting this year’s big bad, Damien Darhk. He’ll be “right in center stage” as S4 begins. (io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
--  Per MG, they've usually introduced the Big Bad in the middle of the season. This season, however, "we're coming out of the gate with our Big Bad, and we're coming out strong... Right from jump, you're going to see that this guy is not to be messed with, and we're not hiding him in the shadows, we're not keeping him off the board waiting for the midseason finale. We are - we're coming in guns blazing, and he's coming in guns blazing." (CBR TV video of interview with MG at SDCC 2015, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per SA, DD is already in Starling City when they begin S4. (TVLine video of interview with Arrow cast and WM at SDCC 2015, page 65 of Starling City Times article)
-- DD is the reason Oliver returns to Starling City to suit up once again. MG: “[Oliver] left the city in very good hands... He entrusted Laurel, Diggle and Thea to mind the fort. Damien represents a threat that three heroes are not enough to combat. When we’ve written the villains — the big bads of the season — we always took the approach that they were heroes of their own story. They were doing the wrong thing for what they consider the right things. That’s not the case with Damien. He’s not nearly as moral. We wanted a villain who was pure evil because we’ve never really done that on the show before. That’s what Damien represents. He’s the prince of darkness.” (EW article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- SA: "Oliver knows precious little about Damien Darhk... I don't know if he even understands when Ra's referred to a 'hive of operatives' that he meant an actual HIVE, he meant HIVE. So - that's Diggle knowledge. That's not Oliver knowledge... Damien brings elements to Starling City that, again, will, I think, help fuel our flashback story this year with Oliver." (TV Equals video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- MG: "He's very, very different from any kind of villain we've had on the show before.  He's got... the malevolence of Ra's al Ghul combined with the sort of, you know, twinkle in his eye of John Barrowman's Malcolm Merlyn, with a bit of the slick twistiness of Slade Wilson. He's his own animal. And quite frankly, so much fun to write.  We've been having a lot of fun with him." (CBR TV video of interview with MG at SDCC 2015, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per WM, DD has powers we've never seen before, but he's not metahuman. His powers are beyond metapowers, and it's scary and supercool. (TV Fanatic video of interview with WM at SDCC 2015, page 166 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- "He's a very different kind villain. Malcom, [slade] and Ra's, they were all guys who did the wrong thing for what they thought was the right reason," Marc Guggenheim teases. "Damien doesn't care about morality. We wanted a big bad who is really pure evil." Still, fans can expect to see him have "a sense of humor," enjoying the amount of power he wields.  (Eonline article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per WM, DD is "the guy who doesn't have any morality." As compared to the other Big Bads, Slade Wilson and Malcolm Merlyn "all had a certain code, they thought they were doing a good thing but had a bad way of going about it. Damien doesn't have any code.  He's just pure evil." He has a "heart of darkness." (TVLine video of interview with Arrow cast and WM at SDCC 2015, page 65 of Starling City Times article)
-- MG: "We're going older than the Damien from the comics... It's in keeping, quite frankly, with our normal philosophy by this point - which is, we use the comic books as a starting off point, not an ending point. Our version of Damien is... different from the other kinds of Big Bads we've had on the show before. He's not as stentorian as Ra's al Ghul.  He's not as unhinged as Slade Wilson... He probably has the closest parallel with Malcolm Merlyn, but I think he's got a malevolence to him that Malcolm did not have.  Malcolm was basically always thinking 'I'm doing what I'm doing to save the city', whereas Damien is just - Damien’s pure evil.  He’s a form of evil we haven’t seen on the show yet.  …We always, you know, sort of approached our Big Bad for the first three years as: we wanted them to be the hero of their own story.  You know, we wanted them to not be evil, and then this year we decided we were going to go different. We really want someone who is truly malevolent, and Neal just - he brings that home." (Unidentified video of media interview of MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 168 of Behind the Mask thread; Whedonopolis video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 169 of Behind the Mask thread; and Hypable article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)

-- On DD fitting in S4, MG: "He fits in huge.  He's going to be our Big Bad of the year. He is a different kind of villain than we've seen on the show before.  He's got a malevolence about him that our other prior Big Bads didn't have. They all thought that they were doing the wrong thing for the right reasons. Damien doesn't care about the reasons. Damien just cares about his agenda."  (DC All Access video of interview with Arrow cast, page 562 of Spoiler Discussion thread)

-- WM: “We are very excited about Damien, obviously, with the casting of Neal McDonough, and we are excited because he is a completely new kind of villain. We have never seen on the show before, and we are going to be exploring elements and powers that are not meta-human, but still completely new to the show. He is menacing and terrifying, and we are bringing him in from the beginning. That’s one of the things that we are most excited about is that we are starting out with a bang. We are hoping the premiere feels like a finale, and we are starting with our Big Bad coming out of the gate super-scary and super-quick.”  (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)

-- Per WM, the LOA will still be a part of S4 but not as big as they were in S3.  DD was a LOA member, and " a lot of that mythology will play in his back story." (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)

(to be continued)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Curtis Holt AKA Mr. Terrific (part 13 of 23)
-- In 4x02, the show will introduce the recurring character of a 20something African American male who is a technological savant on par with Felicity.  (TVLine article, page 18 in Spoilers thread)
-- Per MG and GB, Mr. Terrific will be coming.  He will be working with Felicity, will be a good friend of hers, and will be gay. (Flicks and the City video of full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Echo Kellum has been cast as Curtis Holt, a/k/a Mr. Terrific. He "is a technological savant and inventor who works at Palmer Technologies under the supervision of Felicity Smoak." He will debut in 4x02. (EW article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Mr. Terrific will be a friend to Felicity and the show's first openly gay character.  (Variety article, page 67 of Media thread)
-- EK: "Yeah, he’s a very intelligent person. Some say he’s the smartest person in DC. I feel like in terms of Arrow, him and Felicity will definitely form a partnership. They’re both very intelligent – into everything (to do with) science, so I think they’ll definitely form a great bond. But according to the comics, and I think there are some really great comics, he deals with some strife in his life and loses a partner.  That drives him to really just dive into science and start creating different things. Science is at the forefront of everything he does. His gift is that he’s intelligent – super supremely intelligent." (The Geeko interview part 1 with EK, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)
-- EK: "I hope to bring the character out. I’m a very geeky and science orientated person myself so what I hope to do is present a realistic point of view of the character and drive people to root for him. And to know that everything he’s doing is for the good of humanity and trying to forward humans to a better place in life.  I hope that I can accurately show that on screen and really just have the fans be pumped for Mr. Terrific." (The Geeko interview part 1 with EK, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)
-- EK: "I originally got the audition from my manager and my agent.  The character was a different name (a code name) and I knew it was a major recurring character on Arrow. I went in and auditioned for David Rapaport casting and they called me back in with Marc Guggenheim and some of the other producers.  I auditioned for them a couple of different times and then found out two or three days later that they wanted to offer me the part.  I was very excited.  Then they told me…”OK, what you’re reading is not really the character, the character is this“.  I heard Mr. Terrific and I was definitely a fan of his – always supporting black characters being in comic books – so I was very stoked.  When they said they wanted me to play the role I was surprised and thought “oh my god, are you serious?”.  (I was ) extremely happy.  So obviously I said yes and its just been an whirlwind since its been announced. The fandom is so great. They’re just so encouraging. They welcome you with open arms. Its just been such a great insanity!  I feel so at home and so loved and I want to give my love to everybody who takes the time out of their day to say anything. I feel so blessed to get to be on an amazing show such as Arrow and to get to play such a complex and awesome individual as Curtis Holt. I mean, it’s a dream come true. Its literally a dream come true. I used to pretend I was a superhero with my friends or we would read comic books and then go out in the backyard and pretend we have these powers.  To actually be able to portray that on screen is such a huge dream of mine and I feel kind of like its still surreal, even though I’ve already started filming.  It just feels so surreal. I’m living a dream. I can’t believe it. The fandom, man, they’re just like the cherry on top. I just hope that I can bring something they really enjoy to the screen." (The Geeko interview part 1 with EK, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)
-- On Curtis' dynamic with Felicity, EK: "I think their initial dynamic is their love for science, computers and technology.  I think that’s the thing that really connects them as they realize that they have a similar point of view.  Also, the aspect that Curtis sees Felicity’s heart and he realizes that she’s a good egg.  I think that’s what kind of draws them (together).  And she also sees that about him; that he has a good heart and he’s a good egg too.  I think that draws them together on top of their love for science and technology and makes them become fast friends.  So they’re kind of like peas in a pod in a lot of ways."  (The Geeko interview part 2 with EK, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)
-- On a Mr. Terrific costume, EK: "Ummmm (laughs), I can’t say 100% if I have or not.  But I can say that you will definitely see something from Mr. Terrific in one of the first couple of episodes.  You will see something that touches on that."  (The Geeko interview part 2 with EK, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)

Lonnie Machin AKA Anarky (part 14 of 23)
-- Per MG, Anarky will be joining Damien Darhk. (Flicks and the City video of full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Alexander Calvert has been cast as Lonnie Machin, a/k/a Anarky. He is "a deranged freelancing criminal who is willing to do whatever it takes to impress a potential employer." Anarky will debut in 4x02. (Comic Book Resources article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)

(to be continued)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Shadowspire: Baron Reiter and Conklin (part 15 of 23)
-- Jimmy  Akingbola has been cast in the recurring role of Baron Reiter.  He is the leader of the nefarious group Shadowspire. He will be Oliver’s adversary seen in flashbacks. This grizzled, hardened and commanding man, who has no conscience and few compunctions, offers Oliver a job in his underground organization." (Deadline article, page 559 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- Although Baron Reiter is known as Nazi super villain Baron Blitzkreig in the DC Comics world, MG wants to “disabuse people of the notion that we cast a black man as a Nazi, because that’s not actually what we did.”  In S4, Baron Reiter acts as a foil for Oliver in flashbacks, while DD fills that role in present day. MG: “We wanted a really great villain for Oliver in the flashbacks... We wanted to come out of the gate strong with someone great and we wanted to, quite frankly, cast the best actor. As it turns out, our best actor was African-American.”  Also MG: “We took the name Baron Reiter without any intention of turning him into Baron Blitzkrieg... Baron Blitzkreig is the evil Nazi super villain. Baron Reiter is not going to become Baron Blitzkreig in the show.” Therefore, Baron Reiter will have a completely different background and will have no Nazi affiliation. (EW article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread and page 559 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- MG:  “We have a really great surprise for the season premiere for the flashbacks, and it’s made talking about the flashbacks very difficult... We pick up basically in real time. It’s been a number of months later since the last flashback. Oliver is in Coast City, as eagle-eyed viewers noted when he boarded the boat at the end of season 3. What happens there and how he comes to cross with [baron] Reiter, that we need to keep secret because it would spoil a pretty big twist in episode 401.”  (EW article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread and page 559 of Spoiler Discussion thread)

-- Ryan Robbins has been cast in the recurring role of Conklin for S4.  Conklin is "a sadistic and ruthless member of Shadowspire who will be an adversary for Oliver" in flashbacks. This flashback arc will also see Oliver take on Baron Reiter, who is the leader of Shadowspire.  Conklin will make his first appearance in 4x03. (Variety article, page 18 of Spoilers thread and page 563 of Spoiler Discussion thread)

Jessica Danforth (f/k/a "Patty") (part 16 of 23)
-- New character named "Patty" will be introduced. She will be a 50something, longtime friend of Moira's and a candidate for Mayor.  She was once close to Oliver and Thea. (TVLine article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- "Patty" is deeply committed to Starling City and willing to risk her life to stand up for the people.  She is also a mother and cares for her daughter above all else.  (Eonline article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Jeri Ryan has been cast to play Jessica Danforth in 4x02, a friend of the Queen family. "Her political ambitions will place her in the crosshairs of a menacing antagonist."  (Access Hollywood article, page 18 of Spoilers thread and page 560 of Spoiler Discussion thread)

Jeremy Tell AKA Double Down (part 17 of 23)
-- JR Bourne has been cast as Jeremy Tell, a/k/a Double Down, a DC comic book villain. Tell is a metahuman who can turn his playing card tattoos into deadly weapons. He will appear in 4x03. (TheWrap article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)

Roy Harper (part 18 of 23)
-- Per CH, Roy is returning to Arrow but not as Arsenal. (Fan tweet from Wolfsbane 3-Teen Wolf Convention 2015, page 169 of Behind the Mask thread)

(to be continued)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

Arrow/Flash/LoT Crossovers (part 19A of 23)
-- Per AK, the singularity that happened in The Flash's S1 finale will be referred to on the other shows, and "the ramifications of it will play out, certainly, on Arrow... you'll have to sorta watch how that happens." (Unidentified video of media interview with AK at SDCC 2015, page 166 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per MG and WM, there will definitely be more Arrow/Flash crossovers because SA and GG have great chemistry. (Unidentified video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread)

-- Per MG, the crossovers among the three shows - Arrow, Flash and LoT - will continue as organically as ever. MG: ""We're definitely figuring out the number right now... We're gearing up to what we consider the big crossover - the one where we're really crossing over both shows and both casts... It airs in December... And then you'll see, like you did last year, the two shows coexisting in the same universe, and characters from one show will show up in the other, and it'll be very organic- you know, very much the way it was last year." (CBR TV video of interview with MG, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- MG: The first seven episodes of Arrow and Flash will act as a "table setting" for LoT.  "We're putting pieces back on the chessboard."  (EW article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Both episodes 8 for Arrow and Flash will be a two-part crossover event airing in December. (ComicBook artlcle , page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- The fall season is going to be a build up, and the Arrow/Flash crossover will "tee up" LoT's midseason launch. (Scans from TV Guide Magazine's SDCC 2015 special, page 1 of Media thread in LoT forum)
-- Sara will take a dip in the Lazarus Pit before LoT. MG: “On Arrow, we’ve got some business [to handle]... Ray didn’t explode in a catastrophic explosion and Sara needs to not be dead.” On whether the new Ra’s al Ghul, aka Malcolm Merlyn, will be the one to resurrect Sara, MG: “He’s got a strong point of view on [that]... It’s going to be handled head-on. We’re doing a really great episode that really tackles the question of Sara, death and resurrection. On Arrow, nothing is easy, so it’s not as simple as dumping her in the water.” (EW article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Ray Palmer will return for at least part of Season 4 of Arrow. (Gamespot video of interview with BR, page 550 of Spoiler Discussion thread; and io9 article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)
-- The resolution to the question of what happened to Ray after the explosion will be resolved in the earlier episodes of Arrow. (Blastr article, page 65 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Everyone thinks Ray is dead at first, but he's just really small. (LoT First Look Trailer, page 2 of Media thread in LoT forum)
-- Per WM, Felicity is going to be the one that brings Ray back to the show. (IGN video of interview with SA, EBR and WM at SDCC 2015, page 157 of Behind the Mask)
-- Felicity will be instrumental in discovering that Ray managed to shrink himself in the lab acccident that saw an entire floor of PT exploding into his face. (WhatCulture article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)
-- The whole story of Sara's resurrection will be covered on Arrow. (Seat42F video of media interview with MG at SDCC 2015, page 167 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- MG: "No, we’re going to cover that whole story [of Sara's resurrection] on Arrow. She’ll be ready to go for Legends by the time Legends starts up." (io9 article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)
-- MG: "The White Canary will be launched in the first few episodes of Arrow... 4x08, our typical crossover episode, will be doing a lot of heavy lifting in terms of getting the Legends of Tomorrow characters set up and also seeing where they are with relation to The Flash. It's a big episode." (Eonline article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- WM: "The Lazarus Pit will definitely be reappearing in the first, you know, few episodes [of this season of Arrow], and that's about all I'll say about that." (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- CL believes that the Lazarus Pit is the most likely method of Sara's resurrection, which will have effects on Sara. (TV Equals video of interview with CL at SDCC 2015, page 2 of Media thread in LoT forum)
-- CL: "Well, the person who goes into the [Lazarus] Pit isn't necessariy the same person who comes out... Sara was dead for awhile. So I feel like she's going to be a little crazy and have some issues. She already had issues, so now it's going to be like 'oh God'." (Unidentified video of media interview with CL at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per SA, Oliver's reaction to Sara's return "is going to depend entirely upon the state that she's in.  You know, we teased a lot of things about what the Lazarus Pit does to you in season three. And we haven't quite explored them yet with someone who came out of the Lazarus Pit, um, Thea. But Thea went into the Lazarus Pit kinda still alive, but just sort of, you know, in a state that modern medicine couldn't bring her back. If Sara comes back to life, and one assumes it happens via the Pit, Sara's been dead like a year. So that's a very different thing." (TV Equals video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Laurel will play a major role in launching the Arrow half of LoT. (WhatCulture article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Laurel will definitely "play a big part" on the influence of creating LoT. (Fangirlish video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread; and Fangirlish tweet, page 154 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- KC: "I think that she's going to be a big part of the creation of Legends." (TV Equals video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- On Sara's reaction to Laurel's trajectory, KC: "I feel like she'd be so proud, also maybe a little worried." (TV Equals video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread; unidentified video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; Seat42F video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; and Fangirlish video of media interview with KC at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per CL, Sara would approve of Olicity. She was always saying to Oliver before that he should be with someone who doesn't wear a mask. She's always known that it was a thing that would be good for him. (Unidentified video of media interview with CL at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Carter Hall, aka Hawkman, may actually pop up on the Flash and Arrow first, before going to LoT. Described as charismatic and wise beyond his years, Hawkman is a natural-born leader with an abundance of charm and confidence - well, that’s because he’s 5,000 years old. Much like the comic book iteration, Carter retains his memories of his past lives each time he is reborn, though his lover (aka Hawkgirl) is born anew. In other words, Kendra Saunders will have no idea who he is at first. (EW article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Time travel on LoT will not be used to retcon something on Arrow.   (Seat42F video of media interview with MG at SDCC 2015, page 167 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- MG: "The concept of time travel that was introduced on Flash is going to be applied consistently within the Berlanti-verse. So that said, we’re not doing to use time travel on Legends to retcon something on Arrow." (io9 article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)

-- AK: "We wouldn’t be Flash without Arrow. It’s like there wouldn’t have been The Avengers and all that without Robert Downey Jr. and Iron Man. So everything that we’re doing…I mean even Supergirl, even though it’s not connected, it’s all coming out of the success that we had with Steven with Arrow. And we certainly continue to…Legends is essentially crossovers every week. That was sort of where it was born out of. It was so much fun seeing everybody get together. And we do have crossovers planned, both Episode 8’s beginning this year, which will air in December. Our two-part crossover, it starts on The Flash and ends on Arrow. That’s sort of the big crossover event." (ScreenRant article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- On Oliver being joined by other superheroes, MG: "In many ways I feel like Oliver's journey reflects our journey with the show. You know, we really never intended or envisioned Oliver birthing a whole movement of superheroes. And now since we have three shows' worth of superheroes and a large team where there's an ensemble around him.  We always thought it would be him and Diggle down in the foundry.... Oliver is as surprised at what his crusade engendered as we the writers are." (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- MG: "[Legends of Tomorrow is] going to have the lightness of Flash. It's definitely tonally more similar to Flash than it is Arrow. That said, it has a cast that is older than Flash. So it'll have like a gravitas to it that Flash doesn't have. So our hope is that it'll... it's like Avengers the TV show. It's fun for the entire family... I wouldn't encourage really young kids to watch Arrow, but I encourage them to watch Flash. Families can watch Legends of Tomorrow without any problem." (CBR TV video of interview with MG, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per MG, the answer to how Deathbolt got his powers (he didn't become metahuman in the Star Labs explosion) is coming on one of the other two shows, not on Arrow. (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)

Arrow/Flash/Vixen Crossovers (part 19B of 23)

-- Vixen will include guest voice appearances by SA (Oliver), GG (Barry), EBR (Felicity) and CV (Cisco). (TV Insider article, page 1 of Media thread in Vixen forum)
-- Per MG, Vixen will take place circa Arrow 3x16. (MG tumblr post, page 1 of DCTU thread in VIxen forum)
-- Per MG, Vixen will take place around episode 3x15 or 3x16 of Arrow. "We knew, of course, at that point that Oliver would be going off to the League of Assassins and changing his costume as a result, so this takes place just right before that." (ComicBook article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- MG: "The thing that's most fun about Arrow and Vixen is - [Oliver's] there with Barry Allen, the Flash.  And usually it's Oliver who's going 'I don't believe in metas, this doesn't make any sense' and Barry's like 'well, it's science, I totally get it.' The dynamic is switched because Vixen's [powers] are magic-based, they're mythical. So that's something Oliver understands. That's something Oliver buys into. And it's the thing that Barry as a scientist can't wrap his head around. So their normal dynamic in dealing with someone with powers is completely flipped, and that's a lot of fun." (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)

(to be continued)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

Episode 4x01 (part 20 of 23)
-- Title of 4x01 is "Green Arrow". (MG tweet, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)

-- 4x01 will air on October 7, 2015. (TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)
-- The action in 4x01 will pick up about five months later. (SA facebook q&a, page 136 of Behind the Mask thread; TV Junkies article, page 18 of Spoilers thread; Eonline article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread; and TVLine video of interview with Arrow cast and WM at SDCC 2015, page 65 of Starling City Times article)
-- When asked for three words to describe 4x01, SA said: "What's wrong Speedy?" (SA tweet, page 136 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per SA, they're "altering the trajectory of the entire season in the first episode." (SA facebook post, page 173 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- Per MG, part of their S4 plan involves "reconstituting the show", lightening things up a bit and unveiling a new green-hooded vigilate tasked with saving Starling City.  "How we get to that place will be answered in the season premiere." (Scans from TV Guide Magazine's SDCC 2015 special, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- The opening scene will "Blow...you...away. "  (Jamie Bamford tweet, page 23 of Slings and Arrows  thread)
-- Sometime during 4x01, Oliver is on or near a train. (SA tweets and tweeted pic, page 171 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- The solution to Diggle's concealment problem will be unveiled in 4x01. (Scans from TV Guide Magazine's SDCC 2015 special, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- DR: “In 4.01, Diggle – de facto the leader of the team – Speedy, and Black Canary are the team, and they are a well-oiled machine. You are going to see that right at the beginning, even without Arrow. It’s a very good piece of writing, because we are doing it even without him, so why does he have to come back? That’s part of the story of 4.01.” (TV Overmind video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 67 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- Unlike in previous seasons, we won’t wait until halfway through the year before really meeting this year’s big bad, Damien Dahrk. He’ll be “right in center stage” as S4 begins. (io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- DD is the reason Oliver returns to Starling City to suit up once again. MG: “[Oliver] left the city in very good hands... He entrusted Laurel, Diggle and Thea to mind the fort. Damien represents a threat that three heroes are not enough to combat." (TV Equals video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- WM: “[Damien Darhk] is menacing and terrifying, and we are bringing him in from the beginning. That’s one of the things that we are most excited about is that we are starting out with a bang. We are hoping the premiere feels like a finale, and we are starting with our Big Bad coming out of the gate super-scary and super-quick.”  (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- SA's jaw dropped twice when he read the script for 4x01 and texted MG with 3 or 4 pointed questions right after reading, which MG answered.. (SA facebook q&a, page 136 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- There is a twist in 4x01 involving Felicity. (Periscope interview with SA, page 152 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- On whether Felicity did the wrong thing by leaving with Oliver, DR: “That is interesting because we are going to have something very interesting to say about Felicity in 4.01 as well, and that question will be answered, I can’t give that one away; that’s a big reveal. The quick answer to that is no. I think the answer to that is no, but there is a little twist in terms of what is happening with Felicity at the top of Season 4.” (TV Overmind video of media interview with DR at SDCC 2015 and related article, page 67 of Starling City TImes thread)
-- According to SA, the ending to 4x01 "will be a bigger shocker than Sara getting killed."  (Fan tweet, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- SA: “We do something at the end of our first episode that we’ve never done on the show. You’ll know it when you see it.” (TV Fanatic video of  interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- PB: "[A]t the end of - during episode one [of S4] - it's revealed that there's a little bit of a dark element going on in Lance's life... born out of that, at least in my mind, is how people will seemingly do bad things for what they believe is the right reason... There's a very interesting play by the end of episode one, you're like 'Lance? Really? Oh!'... But whether we end up considering it good or bad is up to the viewer." (Fangirlish video of media interview with PB at SDCC 2015, page 66 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Per JB, you'll need to bring your tissues to watch 4x01 and you'll be going "What?!"  Added PB, "especially on the last scene... That last scene is going to haunt the rest of the season." (TVLine video of interview with Arrow cast and WM at SDCC 2015, page 65 of Starling City Times article)
-- MG:  “We have a really great surprise for the season premiere for the flashbacks, and it’s made talking about the flashbacks very difficult... We pick up basically in real time. It’s been a number of months later since the last flashback. Oliver is in Coast City, as eagle-eyed viewers noted when he boarded the boat at the end of season 3. What happens there and how he comes to cross with [baron] Reiter, that we need to keep secret because it would spoil a pretty big twist in episode 401.”  (EW article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread and page 559 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- SA: "We do spend time in Coast City [in the first episode]... I meet an old friend." (TV Equals video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread; and Hollywood Reporter article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- Jason Deline is playing a "friend" that Oliver & Felicity meet in the premiere. (JD tweet, page 170 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- MG: "You haven't seen the last of Coast City.  That's all I'm going to say. That's all I'm allowed to say." (TV Overmind video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 68 of Starling City TImes thread)

-- Per MG, the IMDB's Arrow page listing of guest appearances in 4x01 by Hal "Green Lantern" Jordan, Carol "Star Sapphire" Ferris, Dick "Nightwing" Grayson, and Ethan Hawke are not true. (ComicBook article, page 69 of Starling City Times thread)

(to be continued)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

Episode 4x02 (part 21 of 23)
-- Title of 4x02 is "The Candidate". (MG tweet, page 18 of Spoilers thread and page 559 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- 4x02 will air on October 14, 2015. (Access Hollywood article, page 18 of Spoilers thread and page 560 of Spoiler Discussion thread)
-- Mr. Terrific (played by Echo Kellum) will debut in 4x02. He "is a technological savant and inventor who works at Palmer Technologies under the supervision of Felicity Smoak." He will be a good friend to Felicity and is the show's first openly gay character. (EW article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread; Flicks and the City video of full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015, page 64 of Starling City Times thread; and Variety article, page 67 of Media thread)
-- Anarky (played by Alexander Calvert) will debut in 4x02. He is "a deranged freelancing criminal who is willing to do whatever it takes to impress a potential employer." (Comic Book Resources article, page 67 of Starling City Times thread)
--- Jessica Danforth (played by Jeri Ryan) will debut in 4x02. She is a friend of the Queen family. "Her political ambitions will place her in the crosshairs of a menacing antagonist."  (Access Hollywood article, page 18 of Spoilers thread and page 560 of Spoiler Discussion thread)

Episode 4x03 (part 22 of 23)

-- Per MG, Malcolm Merlyn will keep the long cape but will get back in the hood in 4x03. (Flicks and the City video of full Arrow panel at SDCC 2015, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)

-- Double Down (played by JR Bourne) will debut in 4x03. He is a metahuman who can turn his playing card tattoos into deadly weapons. (TheWrap article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Conklin (played by Ryan Robbins) will debut in 4x03. He is a sadistic and ruthless member of Shadowspire who will be an adversary for Oliver in flashbacks.  The flashbacks will also see Oliver take on Baron Reiter (played by Jimmy Akingbola), the leader of Shadowspire. (Variety article, page 18 of Spoilers thread and page 563 of Spoiler Discussion thread)

Episode 4x08 (part 23 of 24)
-- Both episodes 8 for Arrow and Flash will be a two-part crossover event airing in December. (ComicBook article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)
-- AK: "And we do have crossovers planned, both Episode 8’s beginning this year, which will air in December. Our two-part crossover, it starts on The Flash and ends on Arrow. That’s sort of the big crossover event." (ScreenRant article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)
-- The fall season is going to be a build up, and the Arrow/Flash crossover will "tee up" LoT's midseason launch. (Scans from TV Guide Magazine's SDCC 2015 special, page 1 of Media thread in LoT forum)
-- MG: "The White Canary will be launched in the first few episodes of Arrow... 4x08, our typical crossover episode, will be doing a lot of heavy lifting in terms of getting the Legends of Tomorrow characters set up and also seeing where they are with relation to The Flash. It's a big episode." (Eonline article, page 18 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per MG, the first non-Oliver flashback will be in 4x08. (Unidentified video of media interview with MG and WM at SDCC 2015, page 161 of Behind the Mask thread)
-- On flashbacks, MG: "We have a plan... but what we do with the flashbacks this year will really surprise people.” They keep talking about their endgame with the flashbacks. We won’t see any non-Oliver flashbacks until episode 8 this year, because they interrupted the Hong Kong storyline too early last year and it killed some of the momentum of that story. (io9 article, page 64 of Starling City Times thread)

(the end!)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6
(edited)

I've posted a page link in the Spoilers thread (thx for the suggestion) for future reference.

Thanks. I started compiling S4 info during SDCC just for myself. Then when I decided to share it here, I knew that I needed to add source identifiers (where the info came from and where it could be located). So it turned into this big project.  The most time consuming part was watching the videos and transcribing relevant portions.  I can't promise there aren't mistakes. Once I got started (and wanted to quit ;) a few times), I just couldn't help finishing.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 15
(edited)

So, Marc Guggenheim's latest interview with Access Hollywood directly answers my questions about happy Oliver :)

Also, MG talked about Oliver wanting normalcy and totally enjoying normal life because it's something he's never really had before, even prior to the boat sinking. And that's what folks have brought up in the Relationship thread. So, guys, you're on the same page as MG! (scary thought, eh?)

“So now, when we pick up with Oliver Season 4, he is happy.  He’s still happy.  We know… it’s not like… We’re not doing what we did in Season 3 where – in the season premiere – Oliver starts off with Felicity, everything’s going great, and then we literally blow up the relationship.  It’s not going to be like that Season 4.  It’s going to be a lot more complex and nuanced as they try, for the first time, to make their relationship work while Oliver’s still going out and fighting crime.”
Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 4
(edited)

Thanks, everyone. This forum has been a welcoming place for me, so I was glad to give back.

I like that latest Access Hollywood interview with MG - I've incorporated it into the above summary.

FYI, I'm starting a summary of S4 individual episode spoilers.(*)  I'll see how much I have by October...

(* Per the updated mod post, pinned at the top of each page of the Behind the Mask thread, S4 production info is now considered a spoiler.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

I was thinking about the new characters.  While I love the idea of Curtis Holt aka Mr. Terrific, it sounds like he's going to have the same IT skill set as Felicity.  But because he's a comics character with a costume and a moniker, is he going to be considered a superhero - while Felicity is not?  And if they do another superhero fight club promo, will he be included while Felicity is not? Or will he also demonstrate physical fighting skills, which seems to be a requirement for 'superhero' status in the Flarrow universe? Otherwise, is the difference just a costume and alter ego?

• Love 2
(edited)

I think you are referring to this:

-- That search for purpose - where she and Oliver are "no longer dodging bullets every five minutes" - will be a particular facet of Felicity's individual story as S4 begins. Per EBR, Felicity no longer has this night job running an Arrow team. Becoming part of the team was a big life change for her, and it opened her up to people. Now, the lack of that purpose will weigh on Felicity, asking "Will she be able to continue on being happy?" At the same time, EBR said the five months away has "regenerated" her character. (Seat42F video of media interview with EBR at SDCC 2015, page 162 of Behind the Mask thread; and ComicBookResources article, page 68 of Starling City Times thread)

That's the fault of my condensed language.  What I meant is that Felicity no longer had the night job running TA during their five-month hiatus away from Starling City, and she missed it because it gave her purpose.  When S4 begins, she and Oliver are still away, so EBR is talking about how Felicity is feeling discontented.  Once they return to the city and the mission, they'll rejoin TA.

My impression is that Felicity is the one who is more eager to get back to working for Team Arrow, while Oliver is content to stay away and live as a regular guy.  Also, there's this from WM:

Felicity will be taking on more of a bigger role, both in her day job and within TA.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

There is something in the spoilers for season 4 that makes it sound like Felicity is no longer working for Team arrow which is her night job

Where?  I just read the spoilers for Felicity and I didn't see anything that suggested Felicity wasn't going to be part of TA.

I think you are referring to this:

That's the fault of my condensed language. What I meant is that Felicity no longer had the night job running TA during their five-month hiatus away from Starling City, and she missed it because it gave her purpose. When S4 begins, she and Oliver are still away, so EBR is talking about how Felicity is feeling discontented. Once they return to the city and the mission, they'll rejoin TA.

My impression is that Felicity is the one who is more eager to get back to working for Team Arrow, while Oliver is content to stay away and live as a regular guy. Also, there's this from WM:

OK whew thanks for clearing that up tvecho! Great job with gathering all the info!

• Love 1

So someone noticed that Damien Darhk is wearing a wedding ring in that BTS posted by PB. That can't be a mistake right? I wonder if that issue will be brought up in the show?

That might not be a wedding ring. It looks kind of huge? 

If his Starling City alter ego is married, I hope it's to Moira's ex BFF, haha. 

• Love 1

That might not be a wedding ring. It looks kind of huge? 

If his Starling City alter ego is married, I hope it's to Moira's ex BFF, haha. 

Lmao you never know... You've seen Stephen Amell's wedding ring. You can see that thing from space tbqh

Maybe he needs a ring to be the leader of HIVE like Ra's needs the ring to lead the LOA?

<insert my precious joke here>

<alternately, insert Wonder Twins joke here>

I just need someone to call DD "Queen Bee" to his face, because, you know. HIVE.

• Love 2

Maybe he needs a ring to be the leader of HIVE like Ra's needs the ring to lead the LOA?

<insert my precious joke here>

<alternately, insert Wonder Twins joke here>

I just need someone to call DD "Queen Bee" to his face, because, you know. HIVE.

I was wondering if it's a HIVE ring, it does seem too big for a weeding ring.

I'm in on the "Queen Bee" calling, or maybe a t-shirt under the suit 

• Love 1

There is something in the spoilers for season 4 that makes it sound like Felicity is no longer working for Team arrow which is her night job

I've a feeling Felicity might play an even bigger part. If the show picks up Damien Dahrk's affinity for tech from the comics, then that's definitely in Felicity's wheelhouse. The DC wiki even calls him a Wi-Fi fiend. Whose your best weapon in a fight against a villain like that? "Bitch with Wi-Fi," right? Also, Wendy Mericle had mentioned Felicity's ambitions, about wanting to be her own brand of superhero. I'm wondering if that might be less of an individual and more of an organizational thing, pulling all the heroes and masks from all the shows together, becoming Oracle without being called Oracle. She doesn't have to be the floater to do it; she already has personal connections to all the main costumed folks anyway.

• Love 5