Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Watch them make Felicity's dad a part of next season's flashbacks and have it be about Oliver. I don't want that to happen, but I'll keep my expectations low anyway.

There's no drama in isolating Felicity's father in a storyline where she doesn't get to interact with him. 

On the other hand, they could make him part of a larger storyline in present-day that has to do with Oliver and Team Arrow and not Felicity specifically. 

• Love 2

Watch them make Felicity's dad a part of next season's flashbacks and have it be about Oliver. I don't want that to happen, but I'll keep my expectations low anyway.

I feel like the writers would have to try real hard to make an arc about Felicity's dad about Oliver :p That being said, it's possible, but I'm going to put that in the highly unlikely column. 

I'm actually excited to find out who Felicity's father is. Apparently we'll find out this season :) I'm guessing Damien Dahrk or whatever the dude's name is? 

Could Oliver be the person behind HIVE's hit on Diggle's brother??  I know it was Deadshot that shot him. But someone had to originate hiring HIVE to put the hit out. If it is part of Oliver working for Bratva, Argus or Shrieve, that would be pretty awful and irreparable for a long while if ever. Ras seems to be very gossipy, so maybe he tells Diggle what he found out. But if this is the case, why would they use that in s3 and not s4? Then again why not use it now, and then you can use s4 to repair it or get the real truth.

If that's the case, then...wtf? Oliver pretended like he didn't know jack about it in S1. I suppose he could've indirectly had something to do with it, but I'm crying foul if they write any storyline where Oliver actively, knowingly had something to do with Andy's death and never said a word about it.

• Love 4

Basically if Felicity's dad pops up and I get a Smoak family reunion I'll be fine. Basically I just want more Felicity/Donna scenes so I'll roll with anything that leads to more of those two together.

• Love 4

They could easily connect Felicity's father to H.I.V.E. and link it to Diggle and his brother. I kinda love the idea that they're connected and they never even knew it. The drama/story that could be mined from that alone is gold. 

Linking it to Oliver would be a huge mistake and basically a retcon.

• Love 3

If that's the case, then...wtf? Oliver pretended like he didn't know jack about it in S1. I suppose he could've indirectly had something to do with it, but I'm crying foul if they write any storyline where Oliver actively, knowingly had something to do with Andy's death and never said a word about it.

Mmm... just brainstorming & speculating here. Its the irreparable that got me thinking. That word feels like it goes beyond just threatening family. I agree that he would have indirectly had something to do with it. But stranger things have happened. But a double blind assassination hit is not uncommon in spy world. Especially if Oliver was middle management, he might have not had a clue who the real target was if they were using code names & alias. It would be bullshit, if he had specific knowledge and chose not to share it. And I would be there right along with you crying foul.

• Love 1

That works, plus we know Diggle would eventually get past it, although probably not over it, because he did with Deadshot.  I like that spec much better than him doing something bad to Lyla and/or Sara or threatening them in present day.  

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1

Yeahhhhhhhhh that would ruin Oliver's character and growth. I'm not buyin' it. 

Well I would prefer is what he does to Diggle that is irreparable from his time on "the island" and not the present day. That at least can be surmounted with time and understanding. Oliver was trying to survive, not fully aware of consequences. He's a changed man, he's trying to atone for his sins. It could actually lead to some character growth. I feel like Oliver/Al shaheim going after Diggle/Lyla/Lil Sara in present would be bad, very very bad even if he was brainwashed/ hyper trained under Ras influence. I can't see Diggle easily forgiving him if ever for going after his family in the present. And I'm truly stumped about what else besides attacking his family would be so irreparable in the present.

Edited to include - If Oliver did have anything indirectly to do with Andy/HIVE as part of his atonement, he could swear/pledge/promise/vow to take down HIVE as part of his re-commitent to Diggle. Diggle could use this recommitment as the first in many steps towards working to forgive him. It would also then set-up/explain how TA & OQ are then working to take down HIVE in s4.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

It could even be something as simple as Andy saw Oliver when he was back in Starling and that's why Andy was killed.  Didn't people think Andy seemed to recognize Oliver?  Maybe he started poking around.  I've never been able to figure out why all these special ops people are so interested in Flashback Oliver anyway.  Maybe it will turn out there is actually something special about him that they were willing to kill Andy to keep quiet.  

Otherwise, I could buy Oliver being involved with the hit and not knowing.  Do we even know if Oliver knows HIVE is connected to Andy's death?  Deadshot and Dig were apart from the others when Deadshot told him.  Who knows, maybe Oliver worked for HIVE in Russia after ARGUS in HK.

I wonder if the alpha/omega virus comes back.  That's a pretty big storyline to drop.

• Love 1

Irreparable damage... Someone loses a limb (I've actually been thinking there ought to have been more severed parts littering Nanda Parbat/Starling City since the LoA is very fond of all that sword-fighting) and gets a robot prosthetic in S4?

Has Audrey Marie Anderson been spotted anywhere around Vancouver the past few weeks? I hope DR is just exaggerating things a little bit because I will be pissed if anything happens to the Diggle family. I always thought that Diggle's example of being able to balance hero-ing with a beautiful family life would be one of the impetus for Oliver to see that he can someday have that kind of balance, in the future, too. Prayer circle for Lyla and Sara Diggle.

I feel like the writers would have to try real hard to make an arc about Felicity's dad about Oliver :p That being said, it's possible, but I'm going to put that in the highly unlikely column. 

I'm actually excited to find out who Felicity's father is. Apparently we'll find out this season :) I'm guessing Damien Dahrk or whatever the dude's name is? 

If one of the S4 big bads that is supposed to be introduced at the end of S3 will be Felicity's dad, I don't think it will be that Damien Darhk guy. Because, apparently, the identity of Felicity's father will make it clear why she can beat anyone (brainiac-wise).

Damien Darhk is an unknown entity in the comics. Sure, they could say he's the smartest man in the Arrow universe as whatever the big plan for S4 unfolds but, initially finding out he's Felicity's father wouldn't really make people go 'Oooh... Ah-ha!' but more like 'Who the frack's that guy?' The way I'm interpreting DR's con tease is that Felicity's father will surprise people in a way that his identity is recognizable as one of the smartest/geniuses in the DC universe, maybe.

Ngl, my first thought was Lex Luthor. Then, I thought of Bruce Wayne. Then maybe, Mr. Terrific. Or T.O. Morrow. Or Hugo Strange. I don't think it will actually be Brainiac because haha, no way would Arrow have alien entities unless they crossover with Supergirl. But I'm willing to bet that it will be one the more recognizable genius-level intellect characters in the DC universe who will turn out to be Felicity's dad. Which means that he's probably not going to be a one-off and Felicity's S4 storyline might just be an actual multiple episode arc. Yay!

Edited by SleepDeprived
  • Love 4

Something must happen to Diggle in 321, or at least after 320. I don't imagine he'd go to NP with Oliver and Felicity if their relationship was affected beforehand. I honestly can't think what's going to happen though. Hurting Lyla and baby Sara is just too damn much after such a morbid season. Please no.

• Love 2

Nearly all of Oliver's relationships have taken a hit this season so it was only a matter of time until they come for his and Diggle's. I am on board with this as long as it's something they can come back from.

What we know about Felicity's father: abandoned his family when Felicity was young, extremely intelligent, had a large electronics collection, participated in illegal activities ("he'd be arrested"), "not exactly a role model," takes chances for the people he cares about.

• Love 2

Felicity said that "he'd be arrested" rather than "he should be in jail" and Donna seemed quite accepting of him so I got the impression that he was a good person who did a bad thing rather he was an evil person like someone running HIVE.  It would also fit in that she was willing to do some hacking with Cooper but she drew a firm line at wiping out the student debts.

But I may be giving the writers more credit than they deserve.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I wonder exactly how bad he'll actually be. with everything we've been learning so far, it seems to me he was more of a gray area person, willing to break the law for the right reasons (like father like daughter). I highly doubt it be Lax or Wayne (not with the MU and Gotham), highly doubtful it's actually Brainiac, they are likely gonna turn him human- and possibly he is working for some agency and his code name is Brainiac, Like Lyla is/was her comic books counterpart name "Harbinger".

• Love 1
apparently, the identity of Felicity's father will make it clear why she can beat anyone (brainiac-wise).

I went a researching experts in computer operation in the DC wiki database.  I didn't include the really obscure or one offs from cartoon episodes and I left off those that had too strong a connection to actual masked heroing skills, (or are alien or machine) not to mention Ivo and Ray Palmer for what are obvious reasons.  Also did not include Victor Stone or his father Silas because of the Titan's connection (so they wouldn't be able to use him)  But here are four that might work. 

Noah Kuttler: - Pro: Probably best known in the DC universes of all on this list.  Con: seems like a genuinely bad guy.  He’s the villain’s Oracle

Noah Kuttler, better known by his code name, Calculator, was a master hacker and information gatherer that worked alongside the super villains in the Hall of Doom as a member of the Secret Society. Though he never allowed them to see his face or know him personally, Calculator served mission control for numerous super villains during their various raids, heists and battles with their respective enemies.

Brian Durlin Pro: has Bird of Prey ties, a history of being rehabilitated Con: Had an awful history with Birds of Prey (violent)

Brian Durlin, better known as Savant, is the spoiled heir to an enormous fortune. Savant had moved to Gotham to become a self-styled vigilante. However, after Batman discouraged his involvement in vigilantism because of his lack of care to protect others, he turned his own formidable computer skills into a profitable blackmailing business.

Savant later kidnapped and brutally tortured Black Canary in hopes of getting the real identity of Batman from Oracle. He was, however, defeated by the Birds of Prey after Oracle called in Huntress. Oracle then decided to attempt rehabilitating him, mainly because he was too dangerous of a force to have against them, even in jail. Like his namesake, he is a genius; however, due to a chemical imbalance he exhibits a non-linear memory and seems to be quite forgetful. Savant has also exhibited feelings for Oracle, probably rooted in his envy of her computer skills. Savant went on, under Oracle's control, to clean up a Gotham neighborhood. However his unique methods lead Oracle to regret her decision.

Richard (Richie) Simpson –Pros:  Well, TPTB said magic is being introduced into the Arrowverse.  Cons:  He was already used in Constantine. And it would be weird for Felicity to have a father trapped in a computer. 

Ritchie was one of several amateur mages who joined with John Constantine as part of the colloquially named Newcastle Crew.

Ritchie continued to enhance his knowledge of the occult and became an adept techno-mage. He learned that a virtual plane of reality existed within the electrical field of computers, which he dubbed the Fifth Dimension. Ritchie developed a device that enabled him to download his consciousness directly into a computer's hardware, from which he could travel throughout the virtual network, hacking into nearly any computer system he encountered.

Jack Marshall – Pros:  Probably the most normal guy on the list  Cons: not much of a criminal and really obscure but if he was considered essential due to his knowledge it could explain why he would have left his family.

Jack Marshall is a freelance systems analyst from Raleigh, North Carolina. Fascinated with computers ever since he was a child, he grew up alongside the industry and eventually ended up working at Digitronix World Industries (DTX), a small company in Dallas, Texas. Maverick company president Donny Travis worked alongside Marshall to invent the Digitronix Desktop PC.

The Digitronix PC's success and profits caused rapid growth in the company, and a new senior Vice President named Walter Sutcliffe denied Marshall any profit sharing from his invention, because said profit sharing was based on a handshake agreement between Marshall and Donny Travis, meaning it was not legally binding. Sutcliffe was one of five middle managers Donny Travis brought in from CompuTech.

According to Jack, CompuTech went under due to incompetent middle management. Marshall attempted to steal his own codebase for a new updated version of Digitronix' proprietary operating system DROS (Digitronix Resident Operating System) but was caught and summarily terminated.

But since he is the only one who truly understands DROS, he is brought in by the United States government, specifically Sarge Steel as a freelance troubleshooter whenever there is a problem

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4
(edited)

If it's not this Damien Darhk character I'd go with Calculator. I know many BoP readers suggested Calculator for the nemesis role that ended up being The Clock King in S2.

I could see them making Felicity's father also her nemesis for a time, it adds drama and Calculator seems to fit the role.

ETA: Someone on another pointed just pointed out that Calculator might be off limits since he's the anti-Oracle. He might be reserved for Titans.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Regarding the photos from last night's shooting posted in the Spinoff thread, I'd say they heavily indicate most peoples' guess that by the end of this season Oliver finds a way to live as both the Arrow and Oliver Queen.

• Love 2

Regarding the photos from last night's shooting posted in the Spinoff thread, I'd say they heavily indicate most peoples' guess that by the end of this season Oliver finds a way to live as both the Arrow and Oliver Queen.

It's high time!

Regarding that set of photos: there's Captain Cold, Iron Ray, Martin Stein, Oliver and Barry... Sara (I guess) and a brunette - Nyssa?

• Love 1

It's high time!

Regarding that set of photos: there's Captain Cold, Iron Ray, Martin Stein, Oliver and Barry... Sara (I guess) and a brunette - Nyssa?

Hawkgirl.

Missing is Heatwave and the uncasted character.

• Love 1

Right! Hawkgirl!

There's also Arthur Danvill's character missing, but I guess he'll appear at some other time... ;)

I assumed he was there since he was spotted in Vancouver, just didn't make it into the photo.

So glad to see Oliver back in the Arrow suit, even if it is in the spinoff.  I want this Oliver in the LOA done this season.  

Regarding Felicity's dad, I want him to be Maxwell Lord.  Someone mentioned him a long time ago on another site I used to visit and ever since then in my mind that is who I've pictured her father to be.  So, of course, it will be someone totally different.LOL.

As for this wedding and marriage, I don't see it being Oliver and Felicity at all.  Frankly, I think we have a better chance of seeing Oliver marry Ray then Felicity this early in the game. My bet's on Thea/Roy or Malcolm/High Priestess from the trailer because why not...

• Love 5

Regarding Felicity's dad, I want him to be Maxwell Lord.  Someone mentioned him a long time ago on another site I used to visit and ever since then in my mind that is who I've pictured her father to be.  So, of course, it will be someone totally different.LOL.

Oooooh, I could get behind this. Yes.

Since the subject of whitewashing has been brought up in the spinoff thread, what do you all think of this response from MG's tumblr (already posted in the Spoilers thread).

Does that mean that the woman we've been assuming to be Sandra Hawke is actually not?

It could mean that Connor Hawke is not Oliver's son on this show.

As for this wedding and marriage, I don't see it being Oliver and Felicity at all.  Frankly, I think we have a better chance of seeing Oliver marry Ray then Felicity this early in the game. My bet's on Thea/Roy or Malcolm/High Priestess from the trailer because why not...

I think it's gonna be Thea and Roy in the prison/deathbed wedding of the century or something. 

I can't see who else it would be. Much as I would love my crack O/F wedding theory to come true, I don't think it's them. Tatsu and Maseo? Maybe, but are they actually divorced? And Maseo's still running around trying to kill people, so that might be a stretch. Oliver and some LoA random? I guess, but what would be the point? Diggle and Lyla? Why - do they find out Ray's not really a minister? Way to go, Ray!

• Love 2

I'm still holding out for my Ras & Malcolm marriage & retirement to Boca or Palm Springs!! :) JK

Seriously, the wedding could be anyone at this point in the present day cast. I'm still on board with O/F as the one I would like to see the most. If only because it makes logical sense & yet is so far out there that it might just come true. Frankly, I don't want to see them date other people, not even sure I really want to see them going on dates to get to know each (since it would feel redundant) & the biggest thing is they can work on their relationship together so why not get married? Every relationship is a work in progress, marriage or no marriage. Also if they just got the wedding over with, it wouldn't drag out & suck up time on the show. Castle & so many other shows get bogged down when they are planning a wedding & its rarely ever entertaining on a drama, esp one that is not primarily funny like Arrow.

Thea & Roy also makes sense as a deathbed/jail thing, but they also seem too young to jump to wanting a marriage already. Whereas OQ seems really into committing to one person between the cast/crew media interviews & his behavior this season.

• Love 1

From Jenny Raftery (Vulture)...

Jenny Raftery @rafteryish  ·  Apr 9
My 3x19 theory: Roy dies b/c Roy is in the word "theory." Thea almost dies b/c her name is almost in the word. THE-ORY.  3x19=SOLVED.
Jenny Raftery @rafteryish  ·  Apr 8
Anyone else get goosebumps from 3 x 23 title? Sooooooo ready for OQ to reclaim OQ.

https://twitter.com/rafteryish

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

So when Mama Smoak referenced Christmas & not Hanukkah, it made me think was it a mixed religion marriage? Because perhaps that is why Felicity makes a point of referring to her Jewish background as a way of holding onto her dad? I just thought it was an interesting switch of holidays, of course per MG it was because it had a better sound. I just wonder if there is more there to help ID her father either intentionally or intentionally by the writers.

But more importantly, are there any male geniuses from the DC universe that are known to be Jewish? That might help narrow it down. Appreciate the people that have already researched and found contenders for her father.

With full awareness CW is using a photo of Ray Palmer to promote a likely Ray Palmer-centric episode (and knowing this post will likely get deleted) I only have one thing to say about that promotional photo --

Turn it off man, turn it off! It's sucking my will to live! Oh, the humanity!

• Love 7

Rant warning...

Look I get they are in love with Brandon Routh and Phony Stark but man it just really pisses me off that the show is using phucking Phony Stark to promote the rest of the season instead of Oliver. Honest to gods if I didn't already watch the show I would think the show was about this sorry ass Iron Man wanna be.

Jeebus, will Stephen EVER be the center of his own damn show again. I mean isn't the rest of the season supposed to be about Olivers big decision? Why would you not put Olivers face ERRYWHERE? ugh

--bitter Oliver - girl

• Love 9

But more importantly, are there any male geniuses from the DC universe that are known to be Jewish? That might help narrow it down. Appreciate the people that have already researched and found contenders for her father.

Yes! Ray Palmer! Based upon like one panel from 1977 or something.

Also Martin Stein, which is why I was convinced Spy Daddy was her father till MG said no.

Here is a list I found, but no likely candidates IMO:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Jewish

Another:

http://www.comicbookreligion.com/?srch=religion-Jewish__23

One thought on Calculator...he is Wendy and Marvin Kuttler's father. Wendy and Marvin go to MIT, and Wendy became Oracle's protege and filled in for Oracle on occasion, using the name Proxy.

I remember having this discussion last spring and it seemed a good fit. The names don't sound NOT Jewish.

Also once MG was asked if Felicity has a brother, and he replied something like right, like I would give that kind of info away.

In 2006, a new version of the Wendy and Marvin characters debuted in the DC Universe. The pair work as "caretakers" of Titans Tower one year after the events of the Infinite Crisis crossover.[1] The pair (now fraternal twins, surname Harris) seem to be technical geniuses; Wendy mentions in their initial appearance that she and Marvin graduated from MIT on their sixteenth birthday, and in Teen Titans #40, Ravager refers to them as "tenth-level geniuses" (compare to DC characters Brainiac and Brainiac 5, both purported to be twelfth-level intellects).

Edited by ostentatious
  • Love 1
We don't know much about Dinah Lance.  What if she has a secret in her past that's tied to the LOA, and had to give up one of her twins to Ra's as the price for protecting the rest of her family?  Maybe she was the child of a LOA member or grew up in the LOA.  Maybe she and Yao Fei's wife both were associated with the LOA in their youth, and certain herbs ingested during that time period made them both more susceptible to having twins.  She could've hidden the fact of twins from Quentin if he was a very busy cop at the time.

I posted the above in the Spinoff thread - but I'm warming up to the idea of Dinah having a secret past.  That would not only affect Sara on the Spinoff, but also Laurel on Arrow.  After all, Laurel's going to need a storyline next season.  Of course, that would mean bringing back Alex Kingston as a recurring character.

That got me thinking that maybe the theme of Season 4 will be Parent/Child or Family.  Oliver will have his baby mama drama.  Felicity will have her mystery father drama.  If Lyla is the floater with a job that requires a lot of travel, then that could put a strain on her family, plus Diggle has his brother drama.  If Malcolm is still around, then Thea will still have her father drama.  Then if Dinah has a secret past, then that would be Laurel's mother drama.  (Plus, if they actually go for a Mama Smoak and Quentin romance, throw in Dinah and you have a possible love triangle.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

So when Mama Smoak referenced Christmas & not Hanukkah, it made me think was it a mixed religion marriage? Because perhaps that is why Felicity makes a point of referring to her Jewish background as a way of holding onto her dad? I just thought it was an interesting switch of holidays, of course per MG it was because it had a better sound. I just wonder if there is more there to help ID her father either intentionally or intentionally by the writers.

In Jewish religious tradition, the children take the mother's faith so Felicity's father doesn't have to be Jewish at all and her pointing out her heritage could be her distancing herself from Dad.  

If the Calculator is unavailable due to the Titian's show, then perhaps The Savant, Brian Durlin, might be a work around in the same manner that Ray Palmer was a work around for Ted Kord.   Not the first choice but a character with a similar enough background as Noah Kuttler, both with Oracle-ish tendancies.  Until Arrow asks for the Calculator they might not realize they won't be allowed to have him.  We got all sorts of hints that Kord was coming before they were told nope, here have Palmer. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Did he leave Donna because he realized he belonged with Creote?

Been contemplating Stephen's fave scene a bit. I know it's "Felicity's turn" to come out with her feelings, but I think that isn't it.

The scene must be what drives her to the Honeymoon Suite at Hotel Nanda Parbat, so I think that has to be her making her stand.

Also, for it to be Stephen's fave scene....actors like scenes where they got to do a lot of acting. Say a lot, usually.

So I think that the plane is Oliver's "stand." I'm just not sure what he could say to her that he hasn't already said that would bring her to his room like that.

Edited by ostentatious

the wedding may be people who dont know and is stopped by the League or some other Arrow character and that is how we'll know the next villain

Edited by Morena

Could MG be conflating the Flash and Arrow re the 2nd wedding?

Maybe Oliver and Felicity get married on the plane...by....DUH DUH DUH....Ray. 

I swear to gods, I would laugh so hard.

And the stuff Oliver says about "Everything bringing him to this place" could be to someone else and not Felicity and Felicity coming to his room happens after that conversation with someone else.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Did he leave Donna because he realized he belonged with Creote?

Been contemplating Stephen's fave scene a bit. I know it's "Felicity's turn" to come out with her feelings, but I think that isn't it.

The scene must be what drives her to the Honeymoon Suite at Hotel Nanda Parbat, so I think that has to be her making her stand.

Also, for it to be Stephen's fave scene....actors like scenes where they got to do a lot of acting. Say a lot, usually.

So I think that the plane is Oliver's "stand." I'm just not sure what he could say to her that he hasn't already said that would bring her to his room like that.

I was kind of hoping that the plane scene would be Oliver's admission that he made the wrong choice in the way he chose to spend his life. He's so cynical, so of course he's probably resigned himself to a life in the League in exchange for Thea's life or whoever winds up getting put in the pit. That he'd tell her he wishes he hadn't pushed her away and that he wishes he would've let himself be with her, and maybe tell her all the things that he was hoping to have in his life (a family, a marriage - if Oliver does in fact want those things, and the longing looks at Diggle and Lyla this season seem to indicate that he did/does). 

That could lead Felicity to his room for a "you can still have that" kind of talk, where he gives in and lets himself be with her while he has the time, and that in turn will plant a seed for Oliver to want to/figure out how to defeat Ra's, so he can indeed have those things. 

Felicity's "I love you" might still be a part of that, but maybe that's not why that scene is SA's favorite.

• Love 10

No, I think her ILU has to come when she makes HER stand, which is going to his room.

Prayer circle that your plane scenario comes to pass.

And yeah if it actually turns out Ray is on the stupid plane and the point of the stupid minister thing is a plane wedding...well, it'll still be stupid.

I keep seeing on tumblr that clues point to a possible Olicity wedding and I feel like I'm the only one who looks at it and goes "But Why?" What would the reasoning of them getting married now? Yeah they love each other but would they really skip the whole dating thing? It doesn't makes sense.

The whole wedding thing just looks like a big troll excerise.

• Love 6