Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Two deaths??? Good grief. I wonder if both Roy and Thea die and Oliver can only LP one of them, hence Thea ends up being saved and Roy's death pushes her towards a heroic identity.

thea who gets resurrected and Akio who stays dead. That's my guess anyway

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 7

These spoilers don't exactly fill me with joy. 

I know a lot of people would willingly erase this season but if I've had to suffer through it, there better be a goddamn point to it otherwise nothing has any weight or meaning if it can just be changed by time travel. Ugh.

I'm really starting to think they're going for the comics' storyline Flashpoint now.

Can you explain this storyline to a comic newb?

• Love 6

Flashpoint, which results in one universe with these versions on tv, and a different universe with different versions in movies.  I really don't think any of these writers or even DC have the chops to pull that off on film.

So weird.  However, if it results in S4 being less angsty (and hopefully less stupid, although I really doubt that with Guggie at the helm), I can probably get behind some degree of time travel shenanigans.

(edited)
Can you explain this storyline to a comic newb?

Flashpoint was basically an attempt to combine all DC's universes. The end result of the events in Flashpoint (which involve Barry, and Thawne as a villain) merged the different timelines into one, namely DC's current: the New 52. Things from the old timeline do exist; writers kind of got to pick and choose.

ETA: I don't know if I'm being clear. This is a very simplified version of it, haha. It's also difficult knowing how the shows plan to use it; my guess is they're looking for a way to set Arrow, Flash and Untitled Cross-over Project's universes and timelines on the same page.

Edited by Soulfire
  • Love 2

The only issue with anything regarding time travel affecting the Arrowverse in a real way other than some kind of Groundhog Day scenario where Barry's time travel resets everything and no one's the wiser and they all go about doing their business the way they've already done it so that nothing changes is that time travel hasn't ever even been mentioned on Arrow. I suppose Barry could come over in one of the future episodes and explain it if they really were going that way, but...to what point would they rewind? Everything was f-ed from the summer, when Malcolm flew Thea over to kill Sara. And if you're of the belief that Thea still isn't the one who killed her, then they're f-ed from the point where Sara died. Because if they're going to undo Lance outing Oliver, don't they kind of have to go all the way back to Sara's death and tell him that she died right away? That seems to be the only way to undo this.

I sometimes think that if they are resetting the season, they will kill Felicity and Laurel (none of the groups will be to cheer permanent death) Or Thea and Felicity. then people will not reject the idea of all be erased, they can once again be alive

Flashpoint was basically an attempt to combine all DC's universes. The end result of the events in Flashpoint (which involve Barry, and Thawne as a villain) merged the different timelines into one, namely DC's current: the New 52. Things from the old timeline do exist; writers kind of got to pick and choose.

ETA: I don't know if I'm being clear. This is a very simplified version of it, haha. It's also difficult knowing how the shows plan to use it; my guess is they're looking for a way to set Arrow, Flash and Untitled Cross-over Project's universes and timelines on the same page.

my guess is you'll have Barry go back in time, save his mom, screw everything up. Realize his mom has to die to reset the world to the way it's supposed to be. Then we'll pick up where things are back to normal(ish) with a few minor tweaks.
  • Love 4
(edited)

The only issue with anything regarding time travel affecting the Arrowverse in a real way other than some kind of Groundhog Day scenario where Barry's time travel resets everything and no one's the wiser and they all go about doing their business the way they've already done it so that nothing changes is that time travel hasn't ever even been mentioned on Arrow. I suppose Barry could come over in one of the future episodes and explain it if they really were going that way, but...to what point would they rewind? Everything was f-ed from the summer, when Malcolm flew Thea over to kill Sara. And if you're of the belief that Thea still isn't the one who killed her, then they're f-ed from the point where Sara died. Because if they're going to undo Lance outing Oliver, don't they kind of have to go all the way back to Sara's death and tell him that she died right away? That seems to be the only way to undo this.

pehaps only Oliver could remember in Arrow

Edited by Morena
(edited)

pehaps only Oliver could remember in Arrow

Well, yeah, but wouldn't that mean he'd have to time travel with Barry? Or have Barry come meet him at the point in time where he reset the clock? And then, isn't knowing and doing things differently what messes things up? How would they even cover that in the remaining episodes this season? 

Would we get some kind of weird rewind and then land in a scene we've already seen and then fast forward to some other point in time and see Oliver change things? I don't even understand how they'd tackle it on a show where it hasn't even been introduced yet.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2
(edited)

If Barry was to go back to his mother's death he probably would have never worked with the police and thus he would not be the Flash and couldn't go back to save his mom. His mom dying and his father being accused of it, is the reason he was where he was the night of the accident. Time travel is always confusing.

It would also mean (since Barry would have no reason reason to go SC) that Oliver dies in 2x09 or is outed as the Arrow. Even if Diggle would have found a solution: cure him, or take him to the hospital without his costume, without Barry, Boomerang would have killed him and maybe Lyla in 3x08.

Edited by steeledwithakiss
  • Love 1

Well, yeah, but wouldn't that mean he'd have to time travel with Barry? Or have Barry come meet him at the point in time where he reset the clock? And then, isn't knowing and doing things differently what messes things up? How would they even cover that in the remaining episodes this season? 

Would we get some kind of weird rewind and then land in a scene we've already seen and then fast forward to some other point in time and see Oliver change things? I don't even understand how they'd tackle it on a show where it hasn't even been introduced yet.

Oliver, Flash and Firestorm will be together in TF, no? then it may be that Barry comment to Oliver that goes back to save his mother.  someone (caitlin, Dr Wells) could explain what might happen. And then Oliver make a comment about it in Arrow.

(edited)

I don't even understand how they'd tackle it on a show where it hasn't even been introduced yet.

What's to tackle, all they really need to is one line about it, and there are two crossover episodes in row, in Flash 18 and 19, so there has to be some kind of allusion to those incidents in subsequent Arrow eps especially if Oliver ends up in CC fighting a man who is literally from the future.

It can be like Oz explaining how he became a werewolf: I got bit.

Edited by blixie

If Barry was to go back to his mother's death he probably would have never worked with the police and thus he would not be the Flash and couldn't go back to save his mom. His mom dying and his father being accused of it, is the reason he was where he was the night of the accident. Time travel is always confusing.

It would also mean (since Barry would have no reason reason to go SC) that Oliver dies in 2x09 or is outed as the Arrow. Even if Diggle would have found a solution: cure him, or take him to the hospital without his costume, without Barry, Boomerang would have killed him and maybe Lyla in 3x08.

not think he'll be able to save his mother, but can do something that might change what happened this season in Arrow. He could save someone would save Sara

Most of the viewing audience doesn't follow the show that carefully, and doesn't necessarily watch The Flash.  To have the whole thing reel back to 301 for a big long redo of the whole season would be utterly shocking to casual viewers, and not in a good way.  I am with Morrigan...a couple things will probably change, but not the whole season. 

• Love 4

What's to tackle, all they really need to is one line about it, and there are two crossover episodes in row, in Flash 18 and 19, so there has to be some kind of allusion to those incidents in subsequent Arrow eps especially if Oliver ends up in CC fighting a man who is literally from the future.

It can be like Oz explaining how he became a werewolf: I got bit.

Obviously we have differing opinions here, but I think something like time travel that would change any events that we've seen on Arrow needs to be addressed with more than just a throwaway line. Anyone who doesn't watch The Flash would be utterly lost.

• Love 4
(edited)

I am with Morrigan...a couple things will probably change, but not the whole season.

Just wanted to say I agree with this but I still think given they share universe it has to be brought up on Arrow in some fashion, precisely because most casual viewers do not watch that closely they won't really care, and because it's a comic book premise will easily accept time travel as thing.

Oh and Laurel is totally getting her Canary Cry she asks Cisco for favor in 119.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 2

There is a big difference between a person bitten by a werewolf which is easily explained than time travel that resets or moves forward an entire season or at least one character's storyline.  No, one line of dialogue is insufficient for this viewer. 

Although, I might accept "wibbley wobbley timey wimey.....stuff" as long as it's said by Malcolm :)

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh and Laurel is totally getting her Canary Cry she asks Cisco for favor in 119.

I agree she's going to ask Cisco for that piece of tech (upgrade or replacement) but how is that any different from Sara or what Laurel was using in 310/311?

Edited by Morrigan2575

Obviously we have differing opinions here, but I think something like time travel that would change any events that we've seen on Arrow needs to be addressed with more than just a throwaway line. Anyone who doesn't watch The Flash would be utterly lost.

I think if they are going to do time travel / flashpoint or something to erase, change some significant event in Arrow, so they somehow explain it.

Like I said, I wasn't addressing a major reworking of Arrow, (I agree it will be minor tweaks) just that if time travel is on The Flash it will most like be brought on the Arrow, Stephen just confirmed it it will affect Arrow, it's happening.

And of course it will be more than ONE line, I was in fact kidding, but I won't need much more than that. But I'm also one who never bought this show was ever grounded in realism. Please.

Oliver and Fecility have sex and then the whole event is erased?

I hate time travel because it's rarely done well and I don't trust this creative and writing team.

• Love 3

Like I said, I wasn't addressing a major reworking of Arrow, (I agree it will be minor tweaks) just that if time travel is on The Flash it will most like be brought on the Arrow, Stephen just confirmed it it will affect Arrow, it's happening.

And of course it will be more than ONE line, I was in fact kidding, but I won't need much more than that. But I'm also one who never bought this show was ever grounded in realism. Please.

I realize you were kidding, but The Flash dedicated a whole episode to the fallout from that time travel, and it seems like more are coming, so it just seems like a big thing to tackle so late in the season when literally nothing has been mentioned about it yet on this show. I wonder if Stephen meant that time travel will actually be affecting the events on Arrow or if it's safe to believe that when Barry moves back in the timeline that Arrow goes back too, by virtue of them being in the same universe. Things change on The Flash because Barry knows he's moved through time, but no one else is aware so they just relive the day the way they did the first time.

Oliver and Fecility have sex and then the whole event is erased?

I hate time travel because it's rarely done well and I don't trust this creative and writing team.

maybe that's why they gave us this scene before the end because at the end it is erased or most of this season and they stay together in the end ,  we will not get angry because we have not seen their "first time" .

I realize you were kidding, but The Flash dedicated a whole episode to the fallout from that time travel, and it seems like more are coming, so it just seems like a big thing to tackle so late in the season when literally nothing has been mentioned about it yet on this show. I wonder if Stephen meant that time travel will actually be affecting the events on Arrow or if it's safe to believe that when Barry moves back in the timeline that Arrow goes back too, by virtue of them being in the same universe. Things change on The Flash because Barry knows he's moved through time, but no one else is aware so they just relive the day the way they did the first time.

I should like to know too. anyway, if they intend to bring Sara, her death should not happen, then I dont see how this would not affect almost everything we saw in this season

I personally love time travel. I dropped The Flash in 1x09 but when I heard they were seriously doing it I decided I'd marathon it during the summer. However the thing with time travel is that when you stop to think about it, it rarely makes any sense.

If the spin off wasn't a thing I would never think the writers could erase all that happened this season. How can they bring back CL? Is she Sara or a dopplegänger? Do they LP her or Barry goes back to save her? Is the Spin off a parallel universe? Anything is possible. We can not really discard any speculation right now. There's one thing though, time travel like I said is really confusing and has a lot of consequences. It has been a possibility on The Flash since the beginning. They have storylines built around it, and moral dilemma and temporal paradox to deal with. If they were to do something on Arrow as extreme as erase a whole season, one crossover to explain it would not be enough for me. It would also go against good storytelling. You don't shortchange such a huge "game changer" like that. Then again, the writers have done it before so who knows really?

• Love 1

So from the pictures of Roy in the spoilers, is he also dressed in a LoA uniform?  One of the pictures it is his regular red suit but in the other one (where the suit looks almost blue) the hood really reminds me of the LoA hood.  And yet I can't believe Roy would join the LoA even if Oliver did. 

I actually think those aren't recent pictures. If you scroll down James Bamford's Instagram page, you'll see two other photos from February that look like the one of Roy in the Arsenal costume posted yesterday (the shelving and stacks of paper in the background)

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't see how everything that's happened this season isn't changed by a time shift.

depends on what was changed. for example, if Sara i doesnt die, Ra's would have reason to threaten Oliver?and almost everything we saw couldnt happen (Oliver lost the company, Ray do supersuit can all continue to exist, pex).

Or  maybe this time is Nyssa ho dies and Ra's to rise her again in LP. and everything we saw couldnt happen.

Edited by Morena
(edited)
I don't see how everything that's happened this season isn't changed by a time shift.

Well I know at least one thing I would want erased from this season.

The insulting expectance that characters within the show and viewers are supposed to buy that Roy is a believable candidate as the Arrow over Oliver. 

So weird.  However, if it results in S4 being less angsty (and hopefully less stupid, although I really doubt that with Guggie at the helm), I can probably get behind some degree of time travel shenanigans.

I hope Guggie can write himself in the story, so he gets wiped out too by time travel. 

Edited by Conell
(edited)

I guess it just depends on what exactly they're trying to change. If they're not changing anything major from it (Malcolm drugging Thea, Sara dying, Laurel lying to Lance, Lance outing the Arrow), then what's the point? I guess they could show Barry or Wells going back and grave robbing Sara's body and then putting her in the LP without anyone knowing, but (and we'll have to see how this plays out on the show), it seems like there's some kind of ritual that goes along with it, so how would they know what to do? Or maybe they do it wrong and Sara comes back all wrong? That would be the only way I could see that they could change time without it changing anything else, because everyone would still think Sara was dead. 

Well I know at least one thing I would want erased from this season.

The insulting expectance that characters within the show and viewers are supposed to buy that Roy is a believable candidate as the Arrow over Oliver. 

What? 

The audience isn't supposed to believe that Roy is more believable as Arrow than Oliver, we know Roy's turning himself in because he thinks he's doing right by Oliver, saving him from jail. As for people within the show, I think it's been well established from early on that Starling City is both run by and inhabited by a large number of morons. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 9

I don't think they are going to bring Sara back through Barry's time travel.  I mean, at one point, I suspected that - and they still might in a Flashpoint type scenario where somehow Sara lives but Laurel still becomes BC.  However, I think it's far more likely with the announcement that one of the characters on the spinoff is going to have time travel/time jumping abilities - that they will actually resurrect her ON the spin-off and have her go by a different code name - with the possibility that she can't tell Oliver, Laurel, Nyssa, etc... that she is alive.  Of course, I also thinks it's possible that the whole spin-off is an AU.  They could even have some fun with AU versions of the main cast guest starring on the spin-off (Maybe Oliver would be the fun, wise-cracking GA in that reality lol).

I just can't see them erasing Sara's death for our core characters since so much of this incredibly illogical and asinine story has been driven by it.  For the same reason, I will almost be pissed if she has been LP'd - like oh so everything from like episode 8 or 9 on didn't need to happen? Cool, awesome, thanks!  I'd much rather they handle bringing her back on the spin-off without these characters knowing so I don't feel like all these journeys were wasted.  If minor changes happen, like Oliver being outted, or Roy being in jail - I'm cool with it.  But hopefully nothing that would make us having to suffer through this stuff be for no reason.

• Love 2
(edited)

I guess it just depends on what exactly they're trying to change. If they're not changing anything major from it (Malcolm drugging Thea, Sara dying, Laurel lying to Lance, Lance outing the Arrow), then what's the point? I guess they could show Barry or Wells going back and grave robbing Sara's body and then putting her in the LP without anyone knowing, but (and we'll have to see how this plays out on the show), it seems like there's some kind of ritual that goes along with it, so how would they know what to do? Or maybe they do it wrong and Sara comes back all wrong? That would be the only way I could see that they could change time without it changing anything else, because everyone would still think Sara was dead. 

Oliver could talk to Barry about LP and he end up doing that. he cant avoid her death, but he puts her in LP without anyone knowing.  she could see that this would be the way out of LoA. be a new person

Edited by Morena

I don't think they are going to bring Sara back through Barry's time travel.  I mean, at one point, I suspected that - and they still might in a Flashpoint type scenario where somehow Sara lives but Laurel still becomes BC.  However, I think it's far more likely with the announcement that one of the characters on the spinoff is going to have time travel/time jumping abilities - that they will actually resurrect her ON the spin-off and have her go by a different code name - with the possibility that she can't tell Oliver, Laurel, Nyssa, etc... that she is alive.  Of course, I also thinks it's possible that the whole spin-off is an AU.  They could even have some fun with AU versions of the main cast guest starring on the spin-off (Maybe Oliver would be the fun, wise-cracking GA in that reality lol).

I just can't see them erasing Sara's death for our core characters since so much of this incredibly illogical and asinine story has been driven by it.  For the same reason, I will almost be pissed if she has been LP'd - like oh so everything from like episode 8 or 9 on didn't need to happen? Cool, awesome, thanks!  I'd much rather they handle bringing her back on the spin-off without these characters knowing so I don't feel like all these journeys were wasted.  If minor changes happen, like Oliver being outted, or Roy being in jail - I'm cool with it.  But hopefully nothing that would make us having to suffer through this stuff be for no reason.

That's basically what happened when Dallas brought back Bobby (the whole shower/dream retcon) and as many storylines on Knots Landing depended on him dying, they decided to go on as if he was still dead. I think they stopped the crossovers between the two shows after that. S3 of Arrow is basically the chain of events caused by Sara's death. The only thing not depending on it is Ray buying QI. I mean even Diggle came back to the team because of that. If time travel is brought to Arrow they need to be careful with it.

• Love 1
(edited)
What?

The audience isn't supposed to believe that Roy is more believable as Arrow than Oliver, we know Roy's turning himself in because he thinks he's doing right by Oliver, saving him from jail.

I mean that they want the audience to ACCEPT that it is in some way a very logical thing within the show universe, even if they/we dont  personally believe it, that Roy is Arrow but are expected to believe that Roy makes total sense in his idea. Like believing and accepting that its a logical plot point that legal professional characters in Arrow could actually be fooled on and buy it. Quentin knows about Roy being Arsenal but somehow he is totally believing now, that the kid he is also the legendary "criminal" Arrow?, with his short and lean stature? Quentin is supposed to also forget he once arrested Queen on those vigilante suspicions. And the audience expected by writers to forget any of this and go along with it?. To me that sounds very insulting and demeaning of a viewer's intellect, its asking for something beyond suspension of believe, they sound like they want to write for brainless pods Imo.  Thats what I mean, hope its clearer now.

Here is an idea, they could have gone with RAy or look elsewhere, central city?. Hey maybe have a reason to get Robbie and Stephen on the same show. 

Edited by Conell

I mean that they want the audience to ACCEPT that it is in some way a very logical thing within the show universe, even if they/we dont  personally believe it that Roy is Arrow but are expected to believe that Roy makes total sense in his idea. Like believing and accepting that its a logical plot point that legal professional characters in Arrow could actually buy. Quentin knows about Roy being Arsenal but somehow he is totally believing now he is also The Arrow?, with his short and lean stature? and the audience expected by writers to forget any of this and go along with it. To me that sounds very insulting and deamining of a viewer intellect.  Thats what I mean, hope its clearer now.

I really don't think it's demeaning at all. Of course, this is the same writers that seem to think we should just accept that Laurel Canary was confused for Sara Canary too......so...

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah. Quentin knows that Roy is Arsenal and not the Arrow, but if he tells anyone that, he'll be in trouble for not arresting Roy earlier.

And I'm not liking the idea of these constant crossovers between three shows. It starts to get messy after a while. Just look at the messy timeline with Ray and Felicity heading to Flash.

And not just with respect to the superheroes. As others pointed out, Public Enemy would have been perfect for Caitlin to flash over to be Ray's doctor when the lone Starling City General doc wouldn't shoot him up with nanobytes.

I sometimes think that if they are resetting the season, they will kill Felicity and Laurel (none of the groups will be to cheer permanent death) Or Thea and Felicity. then people will not reject the idea of all be erased, they can once again be alive

I can see them doing that because it's the only way I can see people accepting a s3 re-do.  (But I'm still betting Akio and Thea bite it and Thea gets LP'd.)

Like others, I will be pissed off is s3 is re-set since I had to suffer through the mess that it was.  But if they do re-set it, like Dallas, they will be admitting what a fuck up it was, and I don't think the EPs are willing to do that.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4

I don't think Quentin is supposed to believe Roy is the Arrow though? He can't prove he's not though. Just as he can't prove Oliver is. A confession is the only thing he has. And the size, stubble, the timing of some of The Arrow's crimes... could work in Roy's favor in a trial (reasonable doubt) if Roy goes back on his confession and if there were to charge Oliver later, Roy would be his "reasonable doubt".

The work around for this paradox is the moment that Barry goes back in time, he is creating another time line in a parallel universe while leaving his original time line intact in the original universe. In his original universe, he just vanishes going forward but would still have had all the history that would have enabled him to go back in time. 

I don't think Quentin is supposed to believe Roy is the Arrow though? He can't prove he's not though. Just as he can't prove Oliver is. A confession is the only thing he has. And the size, stubble, the timing of some of The Arrow's crimes... could work in Roy's favor in a trial (reasonable doubt) if Roy goes back on his confession and if there were to charge Oliver later, Roy would be his "reasonable doubt".

Yeah, I mean, Oliver turned himself in, but Roy was out there in the suit and mask and is admitting to it. There's a conundrum. I'm guessing that's why Quentin says, "I've got you now, you son of a bitch." when he finally finds the souper seekrit hideout in the basement of Verdant - he's finally got some kind of actual proof to go off of.

Oh, I get what you're saying. But I don't think Quentin does believe that Roy is the Arrow. The problem is that Quentin can't admit how he knows that Oliver is the Arrow in order to prove that Roy isn't. 

he can not prove. Now, this is the second time he makes a "false" accusation that Oliver is the Arrow. How is his career after that?

The work around for this paradox is the moment that Barry goes back in time, he is creating another time line in a parallel universe while leaving his original time line intact in the original universe. In his original universe, he just vanishes going forward but would still have had all the history that would have enabled him to go back in time. 

I don't watch The Flash anymore, is that something the show talked about?

(edited)

The Flash hasn't laid out the rules of time travel very clearly, but they are clearly a bit odd. Barry basically replaced himself when he traveled back in time, then he changed the timeline, then has so far not gone back in this version. So, positing that he punched a hole through to a parallel universe is as good an explanation as any.

Edited by BPOX

I can see them doing that because it's the only way I can see people accepting a s3 re-do.  (But I'm still betting Akio and Thea bite it and Thea gets LP'd.)

I wonder if Akio was also LP'd, hence Maseo being in the LoA?  

(edited)

Yeah, I mean, Oliver turned himself in, but Roy was out there in the suit and mask and is admitting to it. There's a conundrum. I'm guessing that's why Quentin says, "I've got you now, you son of a bitch." when he finally finds the souper seekrit hideout in the basement of Verdant - he's finally got some kind of actual proof to go off of.

And they are apparently going to blow up his only proof. The thing is even if they can prove Oliver is the Arrow now, or Roy, how can they prove he was the same Arrow from 3 years ago who killed all those criminals. There are so many copycats running around, who knows who is who?

Edited by steeledwithakiss
  • Love 3
(edited)

No, but the creation of the parallel universe is the standard fix for the Grandfather Paradox that you were talking about.  Stargate taught me that one. 

Edited by BkWurm1
(edited)
Yeah. Quentin knows that Roy is Arsenal and not the Arrow, but if he tells anyone that, he'll be in trouble for not arresting Roy earlier.

Can this character get anymore stupid, luckily the grim reaper doesn't seem to think so. 

"Quentin Larry Lance, you have failed this city" 

Edited by Conell

I wonder if Akio was also LP'd, hence Maseo being in the LoA?  

how long after death one person would have to be put in LP? dont know what the rule they will use