Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Facing Fears/Louie, Louie

In the Season 3 premiere, Mary Jane is rushed to the hospital following her accident; Paul Sr. handles David; and Helen deals with Lisa.

E2: Mary Jane is stuck in the house with nothing to do; Cedric reveals his plans; and SNC hires a hot replacement for Mary Jane.

• Love 1

Mary Jane should've told her lawyer what the deal was with Cece.  And how she know Mary Jane gets paid every two weeks?

Tracy can go back to jail any time.

Oh Niecy, never change.  Always be self centered.

I think Lisa wanted to tell Mary Jane about being with David face to face so she could see the pain in Mary Jane's face; she's also racked with guilt.  Boo on Lisa for getting Patrick to take her over to Mary Jane's.  It's all about Lisa and HER pain!

Did David text Mary Jane? Everyone else did.

SNC is not here for Mary Jane's attitude, especially now since her face is messed up.  They are all but checking off the boxes for reasons to get rid of her (drinking, attitude, age, race).  Marisol's going to end up taking her chair anyway.

• Love 2
(edited)

I enjoyed both hours. Hats off Gabrielle Union for allowing herself to look jacked up in the season premiere. Many actresses would only allow themselves to look slightly disheveled. 

However: 

--MJ continues to annoy me. For example, it still isn't clear to me when Lisa and David had sex (oral sex), although I agree that it never should have happened since MJ and Lisa have been friends for years. Still, it should be taken into consideration that David and MJ have always had an on-again, off-again relationship, AND Lisa and MJ have always had an on-again, off again friendship. MJ reacted and is treating Lisa like David and MJ had a clearly defined, monogamous relationship that Lisa violated. 

-and though she's intelligent and beautiful, MJ still portrays the stereotypical black woman with a bad attitude. Which I absolutely hate!

--I don't like the extortion storyline. there's no way an intelligent person like MJ wouldn't anticipate that once CeCe started taking money, she'd never stop. MJ should have gone to her attorney right away to explain the situation. 

--Patrick has become a sanctimonious dick now that he's clean and sober. He was excessively rude to Tracy at D'Asia's basketball game, and I agree with Niecy that he never tried to be the father with her that he's now being with D'Asia. And he doesn't apologize to Niecy for it.  I don't think Niecy is being selfish. I think she's more WTF? I do think she uses the victim role to excuse her inability to do anything with her life except have sex and get pregnant. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3

Basically Niecy, Tracy and Patrick ain't sh*!, Patrick's trying not to be sh*t and Niecy & Tracy are telling him "Don't you try and elevate yourself, you ain't sh*! like the rest of us."

Niecy has the right to feel as she does; Patrick was a crappy father.  But they can't go back in time so what does Niecy want him to do? Be a crappy father to D'Asia, too? Patrick could apologize to Niecy but again, they can't go back in time...he was a crappy father to Niecy & Naima and is trying to be a better father to D'Asia than he was to them.  He could try to be a better father to them now but that's all he can do for her now.  But it still wouldn't be enough for Niecy.

Niecy needs Patrick to be crappy to justify why she's crappy.  If HE straightens up, then the rest of the Pauls will be looking at her like "well why can't YOU straighten up?"  It's easier to be Papa & Auntie's parasite when you can point to crackhead Patrick as the reason why you're a parasite.

Tracy wants to be there for D'Asia and she is trying but it's hard.  And Patrick was rude to her.  But it was only a few months ago that she was leaving D'Asia alone in the house & used up the lunch money for drugs and now here she is trying to hold his hand, hint for rides etc.  Tracy feels like she's being erased from the Paul picture because of that so she's reminding Patrick that while she ain't sh*!, he ain't sh*! either.

Patrick needs to be kinder to Tracy because he was just in the same boat as her not too long ago, but Tracy needs to understand she endangered & neglected D'Asia with her drug abuse & restored trust in her will not be instant.

Lisa violated friend code by going after David whether the relationship with Mary Jane was off and on or not.  You don't go after your friend's ex and if you do, be prepared to lose that friend.  She listened to Mary Jane's woes about David, put on some Mary J Blige's "I can love you better than she can" and decided to go after David for herself.  Lisa's not one bit sorry she did it but she's very sorry she didn't get to rub it in Mary Jane's face first.  That's why she kept blowing up Mary Jane's phone & hounding her family.

• Love 4

--MJ continues to annoy me.

-and though she's intelligent and beautiful, MJ still portrays the stereotypical black woman with a bad attitude.

Agreed. Even after a horrible accident that would (hopefully) lead one to more introspection - MJ is as petty, sanctimonious, and "angry" as always. Gabby is selling the hell out of this unsympathetic character. I'm not sure if she's supposed to be a a role model, or a cautionary tale.

I AM HERE for all of Loretta Devine's shiftiness and shade.

--Patrick has become a sanctimonious dick now that he's clean and sober. He was excessively rude to Tracy at D'Asia's basketball game,

I like how she checked him, by basically saying "you still a ho, ho"

Um, and I don't care if it is on BET, I don't need the N word coming out of a character's mouth. The "lazy negro" lines, either. WTF

Edited by Jade Foxx
  • Love 4
I'm not sure if she's supposed to be a a role model, or a cautionary tale.

And that's the issue I've had ever since the beginning of this show.  I don't know how I'm supposed to take her.  I'm a black female but I can't say that I really identify with her all that much, and I feel strange watching her on this show.  What I do know is that I'm tired of wack, bitter, petty Mary Jane. 

My brother jokes about "fat white women with low self esteem" who like to date black guys, and Tracy reminds me of that. 

• Love 3

My brother jokes about "fat white women with low self esteem" who like to date black guys, and Tracy reminds me of that.

I wonder how Patrick and Tracy got together in the first place.  Tracy might be dumpy now but she was probably the bomb back in the day before she had D'Asia.  I wonder how they even met...perhaps she was a party girl and they met during his club days.

I wonder how Patrick and Tracy got together in the first place.

I think they met in rehab.

For someone so smart, I can't believe that MJ didn't notify her lawyers about the blackmail and extortion. I guess she doesn't know that you never get rid of blackmailers unless you call them on their bluff. Yeah, she's asking for $25,000 now, but once that's paid up, she'll up it to 50.

• Love 4

I think they met in rehab.

Didn't she say something like "I was blowing dudes, so we could get high?"

And for MJ's story line - are we supposed to think (or know) that she is an alcoholic in denial? 

So glad this show is back, Loretta Devine, is just that, DEVINE. She had me cracking up and I don't think I've ever seen her playing a role like this before. I love it. 

Maybe Mary Jane might learn a lot from her because she sure did put a light under her to get off her ass and go get her job back. Mary Jane thinks she's beneath her and extortion is nasty, but I still think it's all about learning for MJ. 

She isn't facing this situation in the right way, I figured she'd be smarter than this but CeCe is a hustler and so playing her. If CeCe can get her hands on MJ's medical records and whatnot, why can't MJ get her hands on some info..? CeCe knows that the police report has her as being equally responsible for the accident, but does MJ know this?  She can't because if were both equally responsible, I'm taking my chances and going to court because the extortion will never stop. The woman is going to tap her completely out of her retirement savings because that's where she got the first five thousand dollars.  For a smart woman, MJ doesn't look so smart. This is what lawyers are for, what the hell is she doing?

Lastly, until I think of something else to comment on, I am tired of that family looking down on Tracy. She's not a blood relative but her daughter is and I'm mostly sick of the mother's disrespect and just plain rude behavior toward the mother of her grandchild. Yes Tracy is an addict, yes she can't be trusted, but not in an evil kind of person way. She doesn't seem mean spirited, she's just sadly an addict just like Patrick. I just can't stand how they treat her, well really Patrick's mother, but now Patrick is trying to act like he's better than her. 

His mother just seems to be mean to her for the sake of being mean. 

Didn't she say something like "I was blowing dudes, so we could get high?"

Yep, she sure did.

Lisa needs a lot of help, she needs to be in constant psychotherapy. I'm assuming that comment from MJ on Lisa's stepfather and her not talking to her mother for years had to be alluding to some kind of sexual abuse/rape by stepfather. I'm thinking she never got the help that a good mother would get for their daughter because she might not have believed Lisa so...But anyway, I won't speculate any further because I need a little more detail. 

I agree with MJ posing the question as to whether she and Lisa would really be friends if they met today as opposed to keeping the "friendship" going because they met as kids. Lisa is like family, because she has no family. I suspect she lost her host family when whatever happen with her stepfather and mother left them estranged. She latched on to this family and I don't know when, but it became an unhealthy  attachment where she became extremely jealous of MJ. Almost like if she could knock off MJ and steal her life and take her place in the family. That's the vibe I got some time during last season. She's screwed, she crossed a boundary and now she's lost the only family she could ever trust not to hurt her.  What a sad mess....Where's that other actress who played their psychiatrist friend last season, Lisa's going to need her.

Edited by represent
  • Love 5

I can't believe that MJ was stupid enough to write the woman a check with an "I'm sorry" note.  I can understand her feeling sorry, but anyone with an ounce of sense knows that in that instance you don't do anything--certainly not admit guilt--without getting a lawyer first.  And it's not like MJ had to go find a lawyer, she already has one.

• Love 1

MJ not talking to her lawyer is hard to see as a viewer.  I just can't believe she's that silly.  Didn't CeCe already get 100k from the network?

On another note, I was nodding my head at the truth bombs PJ was laying on MJ about David and men nowadays in general.

I want this to be the end of MJ/David.  That door should've been closed last season when she found out about the child he's having with his ex.  Even if she didn't find out about Lisa, MJ would never be first in his life.  The baby will always trump her.

• Love 4
I can't believe that MJ was stupid enough to write the woman a check with an "I'm sorry" note.  I can understand her feeling sorry, but anyone with an ounce of sense knows that in that instance you don't do anything--certainly not admit guilt--without getting a lawyer first.  And it's not like MJ had to go find a lawyer, she already has one.

Wouldn't she have been on a lot of pain meds?  Not sure I can blame her for doing something strange right after her face was smashed in.  Also if LD was playing an innocent person then it would have been a fine gesture.

Loretta Devine is acting the hell out of this part.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Wouldn't she have been on a lot of pain meds?  Not sure I can blame her for doing something strange right after her face was smashed in.  Also if LD was playing an innocent person then it would have been a fine gesture.

Loretta Devine is acting the hell out of this part.  

Yes, it could have been the meds.  As tempting as it would be to write a check to some poor lady whose condition you thought you were responsible for, I still think that someone in their right mind (and off meds) would call a lawyer first.  

Another thing about MJ that I was thinking:  As much as she was hurt because of Lisa going behind her back with David, based on what I've seen of MJ, I could see her doing the same thing to a friend of hers.  Maybe I'm wrong about her but I just don't get the sense that she really and truly values friendships all that much.

• Love 3

Another thing about MJ that I was thinking:  As much as she was hurt because of Lisa going behind her back with David, based on what I've seen of MJ, I could see her doing the same thing to a friend of hers.  Maybe I'm wrong about her but I just don't get the sense that she really and truly values friendships all that much.

While I don't see her creeping behind a friend's back with an ex, I agree that she seems like a high maintenance friend who doesn't value her friendships.  She has a good thing going with Kara, but I vaguely remember her being awful to a friend of hers in season one.  Something about MJ not wanting to go over to her house because she doesn't like anyone else's house but her own.  I think she tried to apologize, but she bungled it, per usual.  But I suppose being MJ's friend means that you'll be on the receiving end of one her tongue lashings, so you have to try not to take it too personally.

• Love 2

For someone so smart, I can't believe that MJ didn't notify her lawyers about the blackmail and extortion. I guess she doesn't know that you never get rid of blackmailers unless you call them on their bluff. Yeah, she's asking for $25,000 now, but once that's paid up, she'll up it to 50.

Especially now that we're at $5000 every 2 weeks. It will just never end. Cece will just show up "every 2 weeks" forever.

Lastly, until I think of something else to comment on, I am tired of that family looking down on Tracy. She's not a blood relative but her daughter is and I'm mostly sick of the mother's disrespect and just plain rude behavior toward the mother of her grandchild. Yes Tracy is an addict, yes she can't be trusted, but not in an evil kind of person way. She doesn't seem mean spirited, she's just sadly an addict just like Patrick. I just can't stand how they treat her, well really Patrick's mother, but now Patrick is trying to act like he's better than her. 

His mother just seems to be mean to her for the sake of being mean. 

To be fair, MJ's mother is mean and disrespectful to everybody, with her children and husband being at the top of that list. Remember how she got ticked off with MJ (recently home from the hospital, presumably Mom was there to help her out), walked away, called her husband to come get her, and waited in the front hall for him to arrive? I don't remember her saying goodbye, either. Just picked up her bags and walked out. That woman doesn't cut anybody much slack.

• Love 1

I don't understand the blackmail either, it's just a vehicle for Loretta Devine to continue her shtick. First of all, if I remember correctly, saying sorry in the check register is not an admission of guilt under tort law. Not to mention, the sorry could refer to anything, like sorry you don't have the cash for your hospital bill, so MJ is dumb to even deal with this woman. she should have called the police, and had her arrested for extortion, and then called her attorneys and gotten some real advice. Now I don't even feel sorry for her, and hope LD keeps riding the dumbass gravy train.

Had to laugh at how Ma and Pa dealt with Lisa and David, respectively. Lisa should just go jump off a bridge. She is such a pathetic excuse for a human. Just like Ma, said their is no justification for her actions and she knows it. I hope Lisa goes away for good, girl, bye.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff

Am I the only one that wanted to walk in the office the next day having "I'm a boss ass bitch" playing in the background as theme music? Just me? Carry on.

Girl I downloaded it as my ringtone. Now, the question is where can I let it play? :-)

I don't understand being blackmailed anyway when she wasn't drunk.

I don't understand being blackmailed anyway when she wasn't drunk.

She wasn't legally drunk, BUT, she had alcohol in her system. The network has been looking for a reason to get rid of her. They could invoke the so-called morals clause in her contract and dump her.

Cece realized this when the network overplayed their hand and tried to pay her off too early in the process. Why exactly was SNC quick to offer a payoff if they didn't see some level of culpability in this?. They certainly weren't doing it to help MJ as Cece correctly pointed out.

Edited by Noirprncess