Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Big Blind

I see Casandra trying to catch up...not being one step ahead.  Although she definitely does seem to have a different end goal. Who put the hot drink there by him - or found him?  A little disconnect for me there, but I am enjoying it as mostly silly.  Tonight was the first gratuitous violence I've seen, hope it doesn't get worse.

Seems to be flying low on the radar with even Eric Roberts showing up and no one really watching/commenting.

Funny that Nick is called Nick, huh?!  I bet she had to take those shoes off.  They were cute :) the shoes and the couple.

Seems to be flying low on the radar with even Eric Roberts showing up and no one really watching/commenting.

It's been that way for a while, that and it wasn't really promoted as his guest starring.

• Love 2

She blew him up.  Wonder how long they going take to realize?

I just knew no breakfast wasn't going cook. The fool was beating eggs with a spatula, in a square bowl.  And tousled Cassandra looks as scrumptious as neatly coiffed Cassandra.

Stupid thing on TV these days, the actors aren't allowed to put their fingers on the trigger.  Some sort of movie set liability bullshit, for certain.  PW entering the hitman's house with his finger laying along the barrel, making the pistol into an expensive, inefficient club. , or a Bajan Boomerang.

Dumbcop showed up to arrest her on his own?

"On your six!"  (Everyone in America thought Top Gun was cool!)

Damnit, the stupid maybe-dead wife sub-plot rears it's ugly head.  Is she or isn't she?  Only her coroner knows for sure!

Cassandra looked damn fine in that dress last week.  I didn't say anything then, but those trousers this week deserve a comment.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

I'm enjoying this show well enough (or maybe it's just doing a better job than Blindspot of filling the Strike Back shaped hole on my DVR, and I've always known I'd choose Winchester over Sully if I could have only one :p)

... but I'm getting tired of the "everyone has a secret from and no one can be trusted by" the hero trope — even the dead-not dead wife apparently was hiding from someone or something that she never revealed to her beloved whose soul she saved.

IMO this kind of caper show — whether the tone is light like Leverage or darker like The Blacklist — begins to lose its fun & luster when the hero/ine has no reliable allies or buddies who aren't compromised in some way. And this is beginning to lean that way, getting a little mired in lonely existential angst and self-doubt. Not so fun.

Edited by Margherita Erdman
  • Love 3
Stupid thing on TV these days, the actors aren't allowed to put their fingers on the trigger.  Some sort of movie set liability bullshit, for certain.  PW entering the hitman's house with his finger laying along the barrel, making the pistol into an expensive, inefficient club. , or a Bajan Boomerang.

Damnit, the stupid maybe-dead wife sub-plot rears it's ugly head.  Is she or isn't she?  Only her coroner knows for sure!

I noticed the gun thing too and was irritated by it.  I know it's constantly mentioned, but that's beyond annoying given PW's past show.  Some people are more comfortable and look more comfortable than others with weapons - some of it has to do with their jobs and some of it is just natural.  Let the man handle his weapons as we know he can.  PW mentioned in an interview that a director or someone on set commented on the way he handles a gun and told him to "tone it down" or something to that effect.  Leave the man alone and let him do what he excels at!

The improvisation of the weapons in the high rise reminded me of scenes from Strike Back when the fellows had to make do with whatever was on hand.  I was waiting for Sully to show up to give him a hand or make suggestions.

As for the dumpcop showing up on his own, well that happens all the time on shows which ranks up there with people going to investigate when they hear a noise in the dark without any weapons or smarts.

As for the maybe dead/alive wife, it would have been nice if Alex's tech friend would have been able to get Alex a message about some of the stuff he downloaded last week to help with this.  He must have looked at the stuff he printed out or recovered?  It would also give Alex someone he could trust.  This goes back to Mr. Johnson being the all knowing/all powerful guy.  I can't express how much I despise this shit.  He even knows that Cassandra is spying on him.  I refuse to believe anyone is that powerful (putting my fingers in my ears now so no one can tell me otherwise).

• Love 1

Stupid thing on TV these days, the actors aren't allowed to put their fingers on the trigger.

I don't think that a only a TV thing. It's trigger discipline, and I believe everyone carrying a gun are instructed to use it, not just for actors in TV or movies.

She wasn't under arrest.  And since he wanted her to flip on her husband and enter WitSec, he probably didn't want much of an audience.

The wife's plot was pretty obvious, so I'm glad that got revealed promptly.  I also enjoyed the MacGuyvering in the hotel.

I'm enjoying this show well enough (or maybe it's just doing a better job than Blindspot of filling the Strike Back shaped hole on my DVR, and I've always known I'd choose Winchester over Sully if I could have only one :p)

It's at least more interesting than Blindspot.

• Love 1

This show is lightweight entertainment, but I like it!  It's bright and fun, and matches well with the more intricate and dark-toned The Blacklist right before it.  

I was kind of sorry to see that the main guy's client/kind-of-friend turned out to be a villain.  The main guy (sorry, I can't even remember his name!) needs some pals with no hidden agendas to just hang out with.  Even Liam Neeson in the "Taken" movies had that group of friends/former co-workers who he joked around with in between missions.

• Love 1

Actually, proper firearms training emphasizes NOT walking around with your finger on the trigger unless you are about to shoot something, to minimize the risk of accidental discharge.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/08/robert-farago/the-secret-life-of-trigger-discipline/

This site often praises movie/shows that show proper trigger discipline:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Collateral- for instance, see the comment on the photo 2/3 of the way down on the Glock 22.

On a different subject, whoever picked those pants for Cassandra ought to be shot - they made her ass looks 3 sizes too big.

• Love 1

The finger-off-the-trigger "discipline" is fine, when you are at the range.  When you are entering a space where you could immediately draw fire, it's a little different.

The comment on the Glock is while checking for a round in the chamber, not facing an assailant.  I'd hope you wouldn't wait to check for a round in the chamber until you see the whites of their eyes.

I don't get it - is every female character that Alex is opposite, guest and all, supposed to have more chemistry with him than the sainted Ginny? I give Winchester his due - he's selling it.  When he's not actually interacting with Ginny, I see the grief and desperation.  But any scenes they have together come off incredibly contrived. I recall someone sharing in the pilot thread that Daisy Betts replaced someone else.  And I wonder, "Wow, the chemistry between Betts and Winchester was BETTER than him and the other actress? Really, showrunners?"

She wasn't under arrest.  And since he wanted her to flip on her husband and enter WitSec, he probably didn't want much of an audience.

Yeah, I'm not seeing any dumb cop moves with Brown.  He had no idea that the husband was on to the wife's attempt to kill him.  He's been on to Alex from the jump, and the only reason Alex gets to Gary Stu all over the place is because he's the star of the show.  I'm beginning to believe it was a mistake to make them friends, because if I were Brown, I'd be seriously rethinking that friendship.  

Finally, in today's absurd moment in this ridiculous show, Alex is shot at night or pre-dawn maybe.  Yet it's seemingly full-on morning before the battered wife came back for him.  So...he's not dead.  Yay? At least I got my requisite shirtless scene. 

I want to hang in there with this show, but it's getting tough. Winchester was why I initially tuned in, but Wakefield's Cassandra might be the reason I stay.  I'm curious about her story.

Edited by ribboninthesky1

The finger-off-the-trigger "discipline" is fine, when you are at the range.  When you are entering a space where you could immediately draw fire, it's a little different.

Then it's a precaution against shooting an innocent accidentally. It's easy to be very jumpy when, as you say, entering a space where you can draw fire, and you might get startled and squeeze the trigger hitting someone you don't want to shoot.

Good job at telegraphing the entire twist in the case of the week, with the casting of Carmine Giovinazzo as the "victim" at first.  No way he wasn't going to be bad on some level, so him not just being a mere mobster, but a wife-beating asshole too, was no surprise.

The Eric Roberts appearance was strange in that there was no mention of it whatsoever in any of the promotion.  I'm not a massive fan of his or anything, but I'm sure some would have tuned in to watch him and Wesley Snipes chew the scenery opposite of each other.

Cassandra continues to be the most interesting character, by looking into what really happened to Ginny, and seeming to figure out that Johnson is trying to play everyone, and shouldn't be trusted.  And it sounded like she was saying that she even isn't a part of this because she wants to.  I'm guessing she much have some kind of skeletons in the closet, that Johnson or someone else is using to hold over her.

I'm still enjoying the show.  It's dumb, but fun, which puts it above quite a few shows this season.  Too bad the ratings are already circling the drain.  At this point, they'll probably going to have to cast someone associated with Wesley Snipes' past work, in order to get any buzz.  Maybe it can be Woody Harrelson, and we can get the "White Men Can't Jump" reunion I never knew I wanted.

• Love 1

On a different subject, whoever picked those pants for Cassandra ought to be shot - they made her ass looks 3 sizes too big.

No kidding. Someone ought to track down that criminal, pronto.

They managed to be extra-extra-high waisted, dropped crotch, and tapered at the ankle all at the same time, something I didn't even realize was possible — I kept thinking it must be a bad camera angle but no, they were just that awful. Would have loved to hear Nina Garcia or Michael Kors vilify those pants before auf'ing their designer.

Then it's a precaution against shooting an innocent accidentally. It's easy to be very jumpy when, as you say, entering a space where you can draw fire, and you might get startled and squeeze the trigger hitting someone you don't want to shoot.

You do it your way.  What colour flowers do you like?

don't get it - is every female character that Alex is opposite, guest and all, supposed to have more chemistry with him than the sainted Ginny? I give Winchester his due - he's selling it.  When he's not actually interacting with Ginny, I see the grief and desperation.  But any scenes they have together come off incredibly contrived. I recall someone sharing in the pilot thread that Daisy Betts replaced someone else.  And I wonder, "Wow, the chemistry between Betts and Winchester was BETTER than him and the other actress? Really, showrunners?"

I guess, but she's more of a plot device if that than an actual character in her own right.

So, I find myself not really liking each individual episode, but I'm really interested in the overarching plot.  What is Cassandra's deal?  What's up with Ginny?  What's going on with Wesley Snipes?  Who are the gamblers?  That is all interesting, and I like the episodes when they go into that.  The main storylines don't hold my interest much, because the player basically has to win for the show to keep going forward.

That is how you are taught to handle a gun.  You don't put your finger on the trigger.  I love how Michael carries his gun.  He doesn't need two hands!   He has all his Strikeback skills.

Edited by SharonH58