Type keyword(s) to search

My Cat From Hell - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My one minor quibble, I hate it that they've gone back to breaking the stories up, alternating segments of one cat family, then the other, and then back again.  I don't like having to work to keep track of what's happening.  I like things better when I can just go with the flow.  

I wondered what caused the super fear-aggressive/obsessive cat, May, to become that way. I thought it was going to be about a trauma, since her person said she wasn't always like that. But I was glad they were able to help her. Her rubbing her face against the girlfriend was so sweet after she calmed down.

The woman who was moving with her semi-feral cats was a new kind of story for the show. It wasn't a very complicated problem, but it was very educational, I think. Jackson basically told her it was all her fault that the cats were still so fearful, and didn't seem to work with the cats at all-- just with her. I liked that it showed that even people who are sympathetic can be the problem. The thing about bringing some dirty cat litter to the new home was the kind of thing I imagine most people wouldn't ever think of, either.

And again I love Jackson underscoring the message with the disabled cats, who were so clearly happy and healthy and having a good time, and not to be pitied and projected on by humans who think they're being sensitive when they're actually being condescending.

I wish Jackson would publish a book that collects his knowledge and presents it in an organized manner. When you have a problem, it can be hard to find answers by trying to remember every show he's done, and it would be nice to have a book to look stuff up in and refer to.

• Love 3

I really can't watch this show. It's just too sad for me. There are a few cat owners who truly love their cat(s) but then enters the new boyfriend/girlfriend or kids or a dog...whatever. People are so lazy and don't care enough about the cat to put forth any effort to understand what is causing the problem. It's the people, not the cat. But I'm happy Jackson is educating people.

• Love 2

I wanted to slap Emily who dumped "her" cat in her mother's business, then, when push came to shove, had a list of excuses why he couldn't live with her. I'm glad Greenie got a good home with its true mom!

• Love 3

I was also upset by the way she was behaving, but if what we saw is any indication, the mom really didi step up because that house had more fun cat furniture than people furniture, and so maybe Mom was a better option after all. She didn't seem to like the cat at all at the store, but somehow she seemed to really care once she brought him home? Does the show provide all the catification stuff, or do the families pick it out, pay for and install it? Either way, Greenie did seem way more relaxed and happy at mom's house, so that's good.

RE the other story, I am always interested in cases where there are multiple cats, because the one thing that's always been really hard for me is when you have a cat who doesn't get along with other cats. I've been sticking to one at a time for the past few years, but I wish I could take in more emergency fosters and this is the main reason I don't. I had one situation where I took in a very old cat on an emergency basis and she was thriving. Then I took a young'un whose person had a sudden housing crisis, and it was terribly stressful for all of us.

Site swapping is good, but the original kitty was very old and spent all her time snoozing by my side. I would have felt like a monster if I'd sent her away from me during a site swap. So I'm still watching the show and hoping he'll give me an idea that hasn't been thought of before.

I find the show so painful sometimes, when you see how unhappy the cats are and you realize they've been living in distress for a long time, often what amounts to a significant chunk of their lifespan. But seeing the difference after things get solved, and how basically simple it usually is to do it, is a huge service and I hope people watch who aren't already savvy, because this info needs to get out there more widely.

I read Jackson's first book, and it said very little in the way of practical advice. I hope his newer books are more how-to manuals for people to problem solve with. People just plain do not know what to do, and even vets often have no useful advice for people with unhappy cats.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/20/2017 at 10:31 PM, LittleIggy said:

I wanted to slap Emily who dumped "her" cat in her mother's business, then, when push came to shove, had a list of excuses why he couldn't live with her. I'm glad Greenie got a good home with its true mom!

Totally agree, the girl was so busy patting herself on the back for rescuing the "feral" kitten she actually thought a couple hours while she was working part time at mommy's store meant she was caring for the cat. 

Also agree with the second message about being thankful I don't have any "cat from hell" drama in my multicat (5) home. 

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 2
On 5/21/2017 at 5:45 PM, possibilities said:

I was also upset by the way she was behaving, but if what we saw is any indication, the mom really didi step up because that house had more fun cat furniture than people furniture, and so maybe Mom was a better option after all. She didn't seem to like the cat at all at the store, but somehow she seemed to really care once she brought him home? Does the show provide all the catification stuff, or do the families pick it out, pay for and install it? Either way, Greenie did seem way more relaxed and happy at mom's house, so that's good.

RE the other story, I am always interested in cases where there are multiple cats, because the one thing that's always been really hard for me is when you have a cat who doesn't get along with other cats. I've been sticking to one at a time for the past few years, but I wish I could take in more emergency fosters and this is the main reason I don't. I had one situation where I took in a very old cat on an emergency basis and she was thriving. Then I took a young'un whose person had a sudden housing crisis, and it was terribly stressful for all of us.

Site swapping is good, but the original kitty was very old and spent all her time snoozing by my side. I would have felt like a monster if I'd sent her away from me during a site swap. So I'm still watching the show and hoping he'll give me an idea that hasn't been thought of before.

I find the show so painful sometimes, when you see how unhappy the cats are and you realize they've been living in distress for a long time, often what amounts to a significant chunk of their lifespan. But seeing the difference after things get solved, and how basically simple it usually is to do it, is a huge service and I hope people watch who aren't already savvy, because this info needs to get out there more widely.

I read Jackson's first book, and it said very little in the way of practical advice. I hope his newer books are more how-to manuals for people to problem solve with. People just plain do not know what to do, and even vets often have no useful advice for people with unhappy cats.

I loved Jackson's first book. It was about his life, addictions, quitting and staying clean and sober, his love of music/playing in a band and how getting a job at an animal shelter changed his life. It gave me a clearer perspective of his personality. Some people who don't know his personal story, think the guitar case with cat toys, Jackson's piercings, tatoos etc are all for show. But Jackson's life and what he is passionate about is truly a combination of being a musician and cat behaviorist/animal welfare activist.

I'm hoping too, that he will write some books on issues that cat owners/rescuers have to deal with, like introducing new cats to a home with other cats/pets, litterbox issues etc. Jackson is an incredible human being. I hope he continues to be a success in teaching people about cats. I love all animals but enough with everything being focused on dogs. Cats are wonderful pets too.

• Love 3
On 5/8/2017 at 3:29 PM, AZ Curls said:

We have bought the Jackson Galaxy toy that's the retractable (overpriced) stick with the feather on the end and my cats, Willis & Arnold love it.  But it's true what he says, you just can't dangle it or drag it around, you have to run around the house with it and pretend you're a bird to get them excited.  

Or as Jackson calls it, "be the bird," which he taught Jay in San Diego with his cat Marley. 

I loved tonight's show. It was funny and a tear jerker all at once.

All my cats have been black, just because that's what's at the shelter. I don't know how old my current cat was when I adopted her, but it took about a month before she would play, so I doubt she was young. Her looks peaked about 8 years after I got her, and she and I are now growing grey together.

I have a jet black Manx kitty named Sigurd that I got from a cat rescue when he was a kitten. I chose him because he was black. Anyway, fifty kittens! Aww! So glad Mojito got a home! I live in a studio apartment with three cats so the woman implying her "small apartment" was not big enough for two bonded kittens baffled me. 

I can imagine how that van smelled! :-p I have a can of air freshener right by the bathtub in case I'm taking a bath and one of the fur babies decides to do a stinky in the nearby litter box! All I have to do is reach and spray!

• Love 1

I lived with 3 cats in a studio apartment, too, but I could tell those women's hearts weren't in it. They seemed so glum. I wasn't sure why they came to the adoption day, though if they weren't going to adopt.

They kept showing Mojito's face in close up, but I didn't really see whatever her nose issue was.

• Love 2
(edited)

I live in Los Angeles (where kitten season is, indeed, pretty much year-round) and adopt from local shelters, so I was particularly interested in this episode.  The NKLA (No-Kill Los Angeles) initiative, headed by the all-around stupendous Best Friends, has had a significant effect on euthanasia rates.  And the layout in its two adoption centers is wonderful.  But we still have a long way to go to achieve the goal of never euthanizing a healthy, adoptable pet simply for lack of space.

The Best Friends adoption centers here are not open-intake shelters; they pull from the wide array of local shelters and place animals into foster homes or keep them at the facilities – a pet brought into the adoption centers will never be euthanized simply for space.  And I love that they don’t blame the shelters for having to adopt a different policy.  They also take a mix of highly-adoptable pets and “oh, crap, if we don’t pull this cat/dog, they’re going to be killed tomorrow” cases.

Our year-round kitten season means we’ll have kittens before colder climates, as illustrated in this episode; once summer hits nationwide, this doesn’t happen.  And, this is not a criticism, either, except that it does contribute to the overall picture of this episode; they pulled from West Valley rather than East Valley adoption center.  Time of year and location meant they had a lot of highly-adoptable kittens and a shelter (with whom Jackson had history) willing to take them.  There aren’t many other combinations of circumstances in which you can call and ask a shelter/rescue, “Can you take 50 kittens?” and have the answer be yes.  Those I know who work in southern shelters report entire litters routinely euthanized without ever hitting the adoption floor during kitten season, because there just isn't room.

And the fate of adult cats is even worse.  The one issue I took with this episode is the idea that kittens, as a whole, don't fare well in shelters because they're extra work.  That applies to young kittens, separated from their mothers too early, and thus euthanized because there isn't the staff (paid or volunteer) to bottle feed 'round the clock.  Self-sufficient kittens, however?  They have the best chance.  It's the "too old" cats who are the first to be euthanized when space is needed, and we're not just talking about the 10- and 15-year-olds (as devastating as that is), but moving down the line to the one-year-olds, or even six-monthers. 

Any time you adopt rather than shop, you save a life, and I applaud.  But the age-appropriate, behaviorally-sound kittens they showcased in this episode have the best odds, and I could have done with a little more reality to go with my cuteness.

I liked the sentiment that with kittens, two is better than (and in fact less work than) one; the socialization is important.  And the issues black cats face was also truthfully stated, although they should have also noted that they don't photograph as well (which, in this internet age, is a detriment to adoption).

I could have done without faux drama, like “OMG, our tire pressure is low (and we don’t know the difference between air and water)” and “I’ve never pumped diesel, only gas” shenanigans, but I like the “kittens are everywhere!” frustration, because it’s so true.  And I like the conversation between two people who got thrust into the reality of cats’ plight by circumstances, and then couldn’t walk away.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6
(edited)
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's the "too old" cats who are the first to be euthanized when space is needed, and we're not just talking about the 10- and 15-year-olds (as devastating as that is), but moving down the line to the one-year-olds, or even six-monthers. 

Too true.  Well, Jackson did actually say that these kittens were within the two-week window of ideal adoptiveness (I know, not an actual word) and that after that they would no longer be perceived as kittens and at that point become less adoptable.   But yes, that was one brief moment in what was overall an incredibly repetitive episode.   Despite the cuteness of the kittens (and our most recently adopted cat is black!) I found this episode EXTREMELY slow-moving - they spent the first twelve minutes at least  repeating the same information over and over.  The more interesting part of the show was watching how people decided for and against adopting the cats.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

I want to give props to the great cat rescue in Harrisonburg, VA: Cat's Cradle. I got all three of my cats there. Like Best Friends, they get their kitties from high-kill shelters and use fosters.

• Love 1

I disagree with black cats not photographing well.  The shelter just needs the proper lighting and setting on their camera.  Almost a year ago we adopted these two black brother cats from our shelter and I chose them based on how different their faces looked in these pics from the site, almost Siamese cat features...

We named them Willis & Arnold.  Arnold is tiny and loud and Willis is laid back and quiet. 

Here are the shelter pics and also my catification I just completed that I am super proud of...

https://i.imgur.com/ILgy84h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7RJoAYg.jpg

I hope these links work. I loved this last episode, but didn't like the fake drama of trying to find a shelter to take all 50 kittens.

• Love 2

Black cats are more difficult to photograph well by those who don't have any particular photography skills, which is the situation at most shelters -- they just snap a picture without regard to background or lighting (an issue for shelter photos in general; thankfully more and more are recognizing how helpful a good photo can be, and getting help from skilled volunteers).

• Love 2

I liked the episode, and there's usually a lot of repeating on this show, even with the more normal cat from hell episodes.  Jackson realizes that he's got a pulpit and might as well use it to preach the need for adoption, no-kill shelters, spay & neutering, and management of feral colonies.

I kept thinking that they should have another driver, and then remembered that they probably had a photographer and sound guy along.

The "black cats don't photograph well" nonsense sounds like the BS about how it's hard to light Black actors properly.

But it's true that there are people who have prejudices against black cats, and that it makes them less adoptable and more prone to being abused.

Your kitties are adorable, AZ Curls, and congrats on the catification!

• Love 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The "black cats don't photograph well" nonsense sounds like the BS about how it's hard to light Black actors properly.

Yeah, neither is hard, both simply require that one not be myopic in one's photography practices.  I take a lot more issue with professional photographers being narrow-minded than I do random Animal Control officers simply trying to snap a photo and get it posted to the website.

Edited by Bastet

I loved the 50 kittens episode simply because we got to see a bunch of adorable kittens and it looks like they were all safely adopted. 

I don't mind some of the "wacky hijinks ensue" because that's fairly standard on an hour show.  I was confused by the 6 or 8 hour into trip title with the Kitty Van arriving in Vegas.  It doesn't take nearly that long to get there.  I live in So Cal and it's usually about 4 hours, unless you leave during rush hour and/or on a holiday weekend.  

@AZ Curls, your cats are precious and I love how you catified your wall.  Jackson would be proud.

• Love 2

I haven't seen Jackson's latest episodes. However, I just want to thank ALL of the above posters/cat lovers/rescuers for all you do. Cats do not get the positive exposure they deserve. It's so much more difficult to find folks who want to be cat owners. It's all about the dogs (who I love equally) but cats are awesome companions too!

• Love 3

"Time of year and location meant they had a lot of highly-adoptable kittens and a shelter (with whom Jackson had history) willing to take them.  There aren’t many other combinations of circumstances in which you can call and ask a shelter/rescue, “Can you take 50 kittens?”

I was joking with my husband that Denver needed kittens because every weed shop needs a mellow cat mascot so there's a demand. In facet, it might be a law. Maybe things will be looking up for the kitties of California soon :)

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, TresGatos said:

" every weed shop needs a mellow cat mascot so there's a demand. In facet, it might be a law. Maybe things will be looking up for the kitties of California soon :)

That's some awesome $hit TresGatos! Lol! Cats are definitely the epitome of mellow! I don't know who has the "job" of naming the different types of  weed, but this could open a new avenue of trendy feline names for pot!

I do wish that it could become universally accepted that a cats are useful, working pets. They keep down rodents, spiders, and many other pests.

(edited)
8 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

That's some awesome $hit TresGatos! Lol! Cats are definitely the epitome of mellow! I don't know who has the "job" of naming the different types of  weed, but this could open a new avenue of trendy feline names for pot!

Ah, but for the first year or two they're hooligan kitties. My Silly is just now slowing down at 18 months,  but it used to be ZOOM ZOOM - NAP TIME - ZOOM ZOOM.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 2

The man who was afraid of cats, whose entire family was afraid of cats... on the one hand, he did seem to be trying and he did come around. He really seems to love his girlfriend and not be an abusive jerk. When she revealed the business about the cat having peed on their couch, he was nice to her, had reassuring body language, and rather than flying off the handle, said she'd done a good job cleaning it up. But it seemed strange that he hadn't really done any of the things Jackson suggested, already, to work on his fear. Desensitization, education, and making an effort seem like standard operating procedure for phobias. I found a book about cat body language in my public library many years ago, and they apparently had a cat cafe right in their city. There's therapy, too. So I was confused by that story, and wondered if it was edited together from scripted footage using actors, or what. It was a good lesson, in case there really are people who wouldn't think to try these approaches. But it seemed really strange to me that they needed Jackson and hadn't tried any of what he suggested already.

His grandmother being freaked out by the cat looking at her-- not attacking, just looking, and no one in their family ever laughing it off or making an attempt to get over it, was so odd to me. It's not like cats are a rare beast you could plausibly avoid generation after generation, and which is universally feared and so there's no available counter-argument.

I guess I'm trying to understand how this could possibly be true, or whether it was just staged to make a point. I guess it doesn't matter, but I am curious about whether there really are people like this, who seem to be basically decent but completely stuck and unresourceful. It seems different to me than the usual cases on the show, of people who are clueless in other ways.

I do like that the show is mixing things up quite a bit this season. They've been changing the format week to week, showing us totally different stories, and trying to educate people about the larger picture. I'm really appreciating both the variety and the freshened up production. The featuring of "special needs" cats is also appreciated. (I hate the phrase "special needs" but Mojito wasn't really disabled, so "cats with disabilities" doesn't seem to apply here either)

Jackson sent out a casting call via email, for cats/families in Southern California. I'm surprised the show isn't swamped with applicants already and is still looking for more.

(edited)

I just wanted to say that I like the older episodes they show with the "Scratch Tracks" in the title. They include more footage and info. For a lot of the ones they've shown I've wished the additional footage had been included in the original episodes because it explained situations and the people with the issues better.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/8/2017 at 5:40 PM, Swim mom said:

I do wish that it could become universally accepted that a cats are useful, working pets. They keep down rodents, spiders, and many other pests.

Well, here's one recent book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062432028/ref=cm_sw_su_dp?tag=harpercollinsus-20

It's a coffee table book that I haven't read, full disclosure, but will likely be easier to find than these two older ones that I own and love:

https://www.amazon.com/Working-Cats-Terry-D-Gruber/dp/0690019513/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1497237462&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Cats-at-Work-Rhonda-Gray/dp/1558591532/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1497237539&sr=1-3

These all deal primarily with cats in NYC , but are interesting because of the RANGE of tasks the cats do.  My favorite  is Working Cats because it's about NYC in the 70's   and it's such a lost world, especially to those of us who remember it and still live here. :(   

ETA:  hell! how could I forget that whole kerfuffle last fall with bodega cats!!??

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/claws-don-mess-new-york-bodega-cats-article-1.2845831

To quote from the article: "According to one Instagram user: “A bodega cat is as sacred as an Egyptian temple cat and the punishment for speaking ill of one should be harsh and swift.”  PREACH.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

I watched the cat phobia guy this morning at my parents' house, and my mom spent the whole time yelling at him, but phobias are by definition irrational, so I was a bit more sympathetic.  His fearful drawing back did seem to be instinctual, and we see people do that to all sorts of animals (I'd do that with a snake, even though I've never been attacked or even threatened by one; I'm scared of them based on nonsense reasons and have thus avoided exposure). 

That she considered boarding her cat while his family came to visit is even more disconcerting than the fact he suggested it to begin with, so a big side eye to both of them for that, but he didn't seem to be a jerk about any of it, just a guy who'd never bothered to get some help for his generational cat-phobic weirdness. 

Him kissing the cat in the cafe and then delightedly reporting, "I kissed a cat!" was cute.  I had my doubts on him continuing to do the work, since he hadn't done shit prior to this, but that picture of him, his sister, and Natto suggests he did.

All of Mojito's issues were simply the result of being a kitten, and not having a feline playmate, so I hope the "I'm not sure if we can keep him" thing was just for the show.  I'm glad they wised up and got a second kitten, and they seemed like a nice family - I like how they were drawn to an "imperfect" cat others might reject as defective, since some of them have physical challenges of their own - so their follow-up was nice.

• Love 4

I've never been afraid of cats but I know people who are.  So I felt sorry for the guy, especially if his entire family has/had a cat phobia.  I'm glad that he was understanding and willing to try and his girlfriend didn't give him a hard time.  The only thing that frustrated me with regard to her was her comment that she worried about Natto being outside and getting into fights with neighborhood coyotes (a real issue in parts of So Cal.)  Um, Natto wouldn't be fighting with coyotes; he would be in a losing battle, in all likelihood.  Knowing there are coyotes prowling your area should keep you from letting your pet(s) outside.  I have heard too many stories of not just cats but also dogs who are taken by coyotes, some right from their front porches.  It's no joke.

Mojito seems like she's in a good home, with a good family.  Happy she has Crystal now.

• Love 2

Thank you Psychoticstate for bringing up the ignorance of some pet owners in southern California. Cats (and small dogs) don't stand a chance if a coyote gets them. Aside from rabbits, I think cats and small dogs are a major food source for  coyotes here. Coyotes are stealth and very fast runners. 

• Love 2
On 6/15/2017 at 7:52 AM, chenoa333 said:

Thank you Psychoticstate for bringing up the ignorance of some pet owners in southern California. Cats (and small dogs) don't stand a chance if a coyote gets them. Aside from rabbits, I think cats and small dogs are a major food source for  coyotes here. Coyotes are stealth and very fast runners. 

Yes, they are.  They can also jump and clear up to 6 foot fences.  So leaving your pet in your gated yard is no guarantee of safety.  

I've heard of someone losing their 70 lb golden retriever to a coyote.  

I'm very diligent whenever I walk my dog and don't give him much slack on the leash at all.  Coyotes aren't afraid of humans any longer and will come right up.  One of my former neighbors had a coyote come up and attempt to take their dog off the leash right in front of them.  Fortunately the coyote was not successful and the dog was patched up.  But I still have neighbors that let their cats outdoors and walk their dogs with very long leashes, while they are busy texting.  Very irresponsible.

16 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

Yes, they are.  They can also jump and clear up to 6 foot fences.  So leaving your pet in your gated yard is no guarantee of safety.  

I've heard of someone losing their 70 lb golden retriever to a coyote.  

I'm very diligent whenever I walk my dog and don't give him much slack on the leash at all.  Coyotes aren't afraid of humans any longer and will come right up.  One of my former neighbors had a coyote come up and attempt to take their dog off the leash right in front of them.  Fortunately the coyote was not successful and the dog was patched up.  But I still have neighbors that let their cats outdoors and walk their dogs with very long leashes, while they are busy texting.  Very irresponsible.

Yes! Thank you for adding to the list of valuable info regarding coyotes (predators) and cats/dogs (the prey).  People are so difficult to educate! Lol. If someone left their 3 month old baby outside at 6 am (while parent ran inside for a second )...guess what? Coyotes are HUNGRY and food is food.

Please pet owners...keep your pets and babies safe

(edited)

Aw, Eric Roberts is a cat guy! Glad Jackson got them to install that fence since Eric seemed to be convinced that cats needed to be outdoors.

It was cool to see the heroic cat who protected her kid. I remember that video. She was awesome!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 5

I loved that the blind cat was not timid. Honestly, I realize it shouldn't be that big of a deal because blind humans are not timid and fearful, either, but when I lost my sight for a few days (long story, medical mess), I was frantic and panicky the entire time. so I admire it all the more.

I would have thought Brooklyn would be able to smell the other cats coming, or feel their footsteps through the floor, or sense the change in air currents as they approached, but I guess a bell works, too. I have been anti-bells on collars because the ringing so close to the wearer's ear strikes me as a possible hearing impediment, but the cat seemed OK with it. They didn't really explain why only the one other cat was supposed to wear the bell, but maybe he was the only one who was pouncing? I thought they said they had 5 cats, and we only really were introduced to 3. Must be about time-scarcity?

I knew I recognized Eric from somewhere, but I couldn't remember where. Now that you all have said his surname, I totally know where I'd seen him before. I love that they didn't call attention to his fame. Also, their house seemed very normal, not some Hollywood palace. The jumble of wires in the basement struck me as terrifyingly chaotic, though!

It never would have occured to me that the headlights of passing cars was what was setting off the cat in the other family. I thought for sure the camera would find predators in the yard at night, possibly even an owl or some other non-cat, since the people seemed so sure there were no cats. That was a really interesting discovery. I felt so bad for that cat-- he seemed completely terrified even during the day. It was nice to see some people who were so absolutely clear that they weren't going to ditch him, including the guy who seemed even more choked up and definite about it than the woman. This show has always done a good job on showcasing different kinds of people-- not just racial or ethnic diversity, but also sexual orientation, family structure, PWD (pple w/disabils), different income levels, attitudes, values, aesthetics, etc. I like that a lot and I like that Jackson doesn't make an issue of it. He never points it out or acts weird about it, which other shows usually generally do. He doesn't exploit it at all or even use it as a marketing strategy to promote the show.

• Love 5
On 6/24/2017 at 8:40 PM, LittleIggy said:

The "Cat from Heaven" was so sweet being Mom to those babies! That big hamster wheel for cats was cool.

Agreed!  I love the "Cat from Heaven" segments in each episode now.  

In other news, what the effity eff was with that dude that he actually named his cat after himself??  Who does that??  That takes narcissism to a whole different level.  I'm glad that he at least called Jackson to be talked out of declawing poor K Jr. and that he followed Jackson's instructions to catify his studio apartment. 

I'm glad that Cali, the cat from the first segment, appeared to be getting better.  How awful for her guardian to have put down her previous cat for being unsocialized.  I would say if it happens twice, it's the owner and not necessarily two separate cats.  Her reactions to everything, along with her friends, certainly played into it.  They were terrified of Cali. 

13 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

I'm glad that Cali, the cat from the first segment, appeared to be getting better.  How awful for her guardian to have put down her previous cat for being unsocialized.  I would say if it happens twice, it's the owner and not necessarily two separate cats.  Her reactions to everything, along with her friends, certainly played into it.  They were terrified of Cali. 

As the show went on they gave her time to explain that the first cat was older when it's behavior started to change. She tried meds and worked with a behaviorist. It was also mentioned that the cat would start getting aggressive out of nowhere. Since the cat was older I thought it might have been a neurological condition that meds might not have helped. I agree about her 2nd cat not being socialized properly though.

I know Jackson wouldn't approve, but all the cats in our cul-de-sac are indoor outdoor cats. I've been here 21 years and this little block has lost only one cat to anything other than old age.  She was born tiny and never did get healthy, nor did she ever go outside. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Swim mom said:

I know Jackson wouldn't approve, but all the cats in our cul-de-sac are indoor outdoor cats. I've been here 21 years and this little block has lost only one cat to anything other than old age.  She was born tiny and never did get healthy, nor did she ever go outside. 

Well, if it were safe, I'd let at least some of my 5 (all neutered/spayed) out alone. 4 of the 5 are rescues who at one time lived on the streets, but three of the rescues have zero interest in going out. Two of them (a rescue and an 18 month old who was given to me when I lost two to old age in a short time span) enjoy going out, but only get to go out when leased and supervised. Unfortunately, I live fairly close to 2 four lane roads, as well as having open pasture on three sides where we hear coyotes on occasion. 

Edited by SRTouch

We are fortunate in that we are on a quiet little dead end block. All our homesites are bordered with a few trees and some bushes. Our HOA requires dogs to be leashed. As for wildlife, I've see a couple of hawks, and an occasional possum. We're loaded with birds, voles and rabbits, though, despite our large cat population.  My cat goes out only after dark, but I see some of the others out during the day. It's a cat's delight.

• Love 1

I wish there were more people like Jackson, helping all the cats and people who need it. Watching tonight's episode, I was thinking about all the situations I've experienced or observed, and it's overwhelming. I like seeing these stories resolve, and the firehouse cat was awesome, but it's hard to get over all the unresolved disasters past and present, especially when you know they aren't inevitable if only people knew what to do.

• Love 2

Mr. Weasley was so cute! Glad he got diagnosed. I guess the production company paid for all that testing. I doubt Mr. Weasley's mom could afford all that. I just had an echocardiogram to check on a heart murmur and am going to a cardiologist in August so I felt for that sweet kitty. Fortunately, I haven't swooned like him!

• Love 1