Type keyword(s) to search

How Did Trevor Noah Do In His First Night Hosting The Daily Show? Two Biased People Discuss!

• Start Topic

Yeah, it was weird just how similar this was to Stewart's show. It kind of caught me off guard. It's like if Colbert had done a Top Ten List in his first Late Show episode. Then again, Stewart pretty much spent two years doing Kilborn's show before it became his own thing, so hopefully something similar will happen here, only faster.

I totally see and agree with the decision to sort of change it (host, set, etc.) yet still do the same style. At least for a while. They are doing a soft handover to Trevor which given the variety of people they had to please was the wisest way to do it. Give Trevor a chance to get his bearings which could lead to good or bad, who knows. We'll just have to see. Plus this is a newscast based comedy program, there are limits to what you can do with it.

It took me a second to catch onto the joke about taking over for someone named Jon/John with him and Jordan but then gave the show its props.

Trevor is pretty as f*ck and he did a good job on the monologue type bits. Though I think he should have thanked Kevin Hart a little more for his ties, that actually was a very nice gesture. I also thought that his interview could have gone better. He tended to ask things that needed explanation to those who haven't seen all of Kevin's routines.Kevin kind of picked up the dead weight in the interview by keeping the energy up and filling in any potential knowledge gaps.

Edited by Monty9
  • Love 1

I totally disagree with Tara and think/thought neither Jordan Keppler nor Hassan Minaj was ready to take over the desk. Jordan was really funny last night, but I didn't like a lot of his earlier bits and I feel it's in like the last few months he's come into own.

I wish we had seen Jessica last night, but that's ok. Jessica Williams would be great as the host though.

I think watching them ease Noah into this show is good. I'm not ready to give up on Noah yet, and I definitely think it's a process.

As soon as Kevin Hart encouraged Trevor to open the gift in front of everyone, I knew it was going to be awkward.  There are very few cultures in the world where it's appropriate for everyone to view the gift and celebrate the gift giver and the gift he gave.  It's such a weird custom, and I find it horribly uncomfortable.  I was cringing for Trevor and just wanted it to end.  As someone who didn't grow up with that tradition, I can say that being forced to participate in it is difficult.  I still don't know how to react and tend to just try to make it go away as fast as possible.  

• Love 1

The old dynamic in our house was family-watching-TDSWJS-togetherness. It was something we all enjoyed and shared, and it was our 2015 version of Little House on the Prairie Maw and Paw and the kids around the hearth. Last night, we tuned in, not just to see Noah's debut, but, as I figured out later, to determine the new family dynamic vis-a-vis TDS. For the first night at least, the new dynamic seems to be the old fogeys complaining about TN and the younger set scorning us for living in the past. Sort of like every other moment in our family life...

On a more superficial note, the most enjoyment I got from watching last night was listening to Noah's pronunciation and sentence phrasing which was quite nice, and a little exotic, after years of JS's NYC accent.

• Love 1

I also can imagine Jon doing any of those jokes mentioned above although maybe not the Whitney Huston joke. The pope joke possibly, and definitely the AIDS/aides joke. (Was that (the Aides joke) supposed to be edgy? )

Edited by Temperance

So when Oliver took over for Stewart I was impressed that the writing and his delivery felt like Stewart. Oliver eventually developed his own bits but he strongly mimicked Jon. Same vibe with Noah. I love Noah' s stand-up. I think he is quick and charming. I think playing a babe in the political woods is a bit. And it works. I think the show cheerfully addressed his newness, .youth, and nationality with grace and charm. Unlike Colbert on his show, Noah isn't assuming we are delighted to see him. I love that modest approach even if it is a little bit of an act. <br /><br />Larry Wilmore has taken four months to find his footing. And I appreciate him now. He is the elder statesman to Noah' s immigrant in a strange land. They make a great constrast.

• Love 3

I also can imagine Jon doing any of those jokes mentioned above although maybe not the Whitney Huston joke. The pope joke possibly, and definitely the AIDS/aides joke. (Was that (the Aides joke) supposed to be edgy? )

So when Oliver took over for Stewart I was impressed that the writing and his delivery felt like Stewart. Oliver eventually developed his own bits but he strongly mimicked Jon. 

I'm thinking the obvious reasons for this is "it's the writing!" 

I bet the writers he's using now are holdovers.

Paul F. Tompkins. It never occurred to me and now -- though I thought Trevor's first show was good for a no-win first show -- I'm a peak disappointment. How did that not happen?

I've heard the argument that Tompkins has been doing a show like this for several years already--just with puppets and on a channel nobody watches (Fusion). In fact, the co-creator of Tompkin's show is a former head writer of TDS.

http://fusion.net/show/no-you-shut-up/

• Love 1

While it's the most natural thing to do, doing the whole "Jon Stewart wouldn't have done that" routine is unfair and pretty pointless. Stewart probably chose Noah because of the differences. And the AIDS joke, while gasp-worthy in the US is spot-on for Noah who comes from a country that is ravaged by AIDS.

And the host has been chosen. There is absolutely no point in discussing who would/wouldn't have been a good replacement anymore.

And the host has been chosen. There is absolutely no point in discussing who would/wouldn't have been a good replacement anymore.

Why ever not?  "What Ifs" are always fun, even if it's just a game rather than done with serious intent.

According to a blind item I read, Noah was the 11th person offered the job. I liked that he addressed straight up in the monologue that he was not the first offered the job and that there's this whole step-dad awkwardness. I'm willing to give Noah some time because TDS has been the kind of show I like, and I assume that those involved will try to remain true to what it's been.

Full disclosure: I liked Genesis with Phil Collins on lead vocals and some of my favorite AC/DC songs are with Brian Johnson. I'm willing to give replacements a chance.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 2

I've been a fan of Trevor Noah since he and Hasaan were added to the list of correspondents - I checked out his standup, and found him to be very funny. And what I've seen of him (aside from those crappy tweets) has continued to be funny and engaging. So, I am rooting for him here. He looked visibly nervous up there at times, but I think all the standup experience will get him through those nerves quickly. I'm going to stick with it for a while and see where it goes. And if it turns out to be not much more than regular TDS with a fresh new mouthpiece, I think I'm cool with it.

• Love 2

I really thoughy Nick & Tara did a huge disservice to Noah.

I found him utterly charming, and easy on the eyes, and a little nervous.

Jordan is probably TDS correspondent I've disliked the most, but I do agree he's getting better. And no, Tara, he is nowhere near ready.

The AIDS / penis jokes were trying to be edgy, but until Noah really understands American culture, those are going to go over harder than skewering Democrats went over in Stewart's version. If I recall, it took my beloved Oliver a few months to really get into it.

Here's good luck to you Trevor, and don't be a Republican basher like your predessor.

According to a blind item I read, Noah was the 11th person offered the job. I liked that he addressed straight up in the monologue that he was not the first offered the job and that there's this whole step-dad awkwardness. I'm willing to give Noah some time because TDS has been the kind of show I like, and I assume that those involved with try to remain true to what it's been.

I can imagine that some people may have turned down the job because they weren't interested in that sort of gig (Schumer, for example), but others may have turned it down because they didn't want all the Jon-comparisons and likely failing at that because Jon is such a beloved icon, as the article states.  Pretty much anyone would have had Jon-comparisons and likely would not have stood up enough.  I have to give hats off to Noah for being brave enough to take the job, knowing that it is difficult to replace Jon, but eventually putting his own stamp on the show.

• Love 3

I didn't like the aides/AIDS joke, but I also accept that some people can't resist that kind of wordplay. I'm somewhat sympathetic on that level. I do like a good pun.

The dick joke didn't bother me at all-- I think TDS historically has used dick humor a lot-- more than I personally think is interesting or funny-- but it doesn't offend me either. And in a way, Trevor making a joke about what a waste it is (as though he feels it as a personal loss), and how the car is "under-compensating" is funnier to me than jokes that revolve around how big a sack someone has, whenever they do anything awesome (a Colbert staple). If you're going to do dick jokes, at least make them something other than brags.

I'm on the fence about the Whitney Houston joke, but we've had enough Amy Winehouse jokes over the years, that I think if we were going to consider addiction humor blasphemous, we'd have already gone to hell. I think there's a bit of a double standard, in that we resort to "drunk/high humor" and laugh at the sight of people getting shitfaced and acting ridiculous, then harshly mock and condemn them when they behave badly past a certain point, and then sanctify them once they die of an overdose. At some point, we have to decide which side we're on, and I don't think that has even been remotely been decided by most comedians or audiences at all. So I give Noah a pass on skating that line.

There are very few cultures in the world where it's appropriate for everyone to view the gift and celebrate the gift giver and the gift he gave.

Hmmmmn... interesting. I really wanted to see the ties. I have taken a possibly absurd interest in ties because they relieve my overwhelming boredom from looking at guys in suits that all look alike. To me, the tie is the only thing making the interminable camera-on-guy-in-suit part of so many shows less visually dull. So I really wanted to see what kind of ties Hart gave, and was hoping they'd be paisley, or plaid, or something else a little wild. Had not considered there might be an etiquette barrier due to culture. Or that the ties might be monochromatic bores, either. I had thought Hart was handing Noah a bit for the interview, and Noah was turning it down.

Edited by possibilities

There isn't? I was not aware of that prohibition.

Prohibition? That's sort of a stretch. Obviously no prohibition, particularly since it's your forum. But the decision to replace Jon Stewart with Trevor Noah was made about six months ago and the discussion is pretty much over so it's really time to move on. You have said directly that you don't like Noah, and it seems you are reluctant to give him a chance. And as someone who likes reading the pieces on this site, I worry that any coverage of him and this show will turn into finding more things you don't like about him while grudgingly admitting that occasionally he is funny. I don't know if the dislike stems from his tweets or his stand up routine or his general persona, but I am hoping that if you continue to cover him you can do it in a non hate-watching way. There are great discussions here as there were on TWoP, some based on genuine affection for a show and others based on hate-watching. With TDS I am firmly in the first group and would be sad to see this turn into a grouch-fest. That is all.

• Love 2

Prohibition? That's sort of a stretch. Obviously no prohibition, particularly since it's your forum. But the decision to replace Jon Stewart with Trevor Noah was made about six months ago and the discussion is pretty much over so it's really time to move on. 

The decision is over sure. The discussion?  It doesn't have to be. People still debate what would have happened if David Letterman got The Tonight Show instead of Jay Leno, and that was almost a quarter of a century ago.

What's potentially gained from it is very abstract, but that's not the same thing as saying it's totally meaningless.