Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Chit Chat

Way Wes Jr
  • Start Topic

I was watching a recap of season ten on YouTube and I had forgotten how great the cast was.  I remember loving that season and I remember every single person from that season (Yes even the earlier boots like Brian, Stephen and Angie) but I just did not recall just how great that season was.

I did not remember Keesha and Memphis being as close as they actually were during that season.  I wonder why he did not even bother to try to help her during this current season.

My buddy once went out on a date with Michelle's cousin and she brought Michelle up.  Well my buddy did not like Michelle at all and he told me it was hell trying to fake being a fan of Michelle.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

As proof that Britney has not lost her snarking ability, she posted a series of Instagram stories describing how she is way more Spanish than Hillaria Baldwin. Toward the end she says “Adios y gracias for your attention to, how you say, this matter.” XD 

On 9/12/2020 at 9:19 AM, Lamima said:

Watching season 14 that Ian won. Man I miss the days of OG BB. They make big moves and talk game ALL.THE.TIME. Love the backyard couch gameplay talks. SO miss that. We get very little gameplay talk on the show now. Also, now, all the noms are always safe non-entities for the first several weeks until they get down to the big alliance of threats. 

Edit to add: No, I did watch this season. How could I forget Dan's funeral.

There was sense on this board as BB14 ended that we were seeing the end of an era, and we were right. The show was never like that again.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

There was sense on this board as BB14 ended that we were seeing the end of an era, and we were right. The show was never like that again.

I think BB11 was the end of the era tbh. BB12 is what started it's downward spiral for me. BB13 had some great characters/moments and BB14 had Dan's Funeral (which I look back on and loathe now) but in general the show hasn't been good since BB11. BB17 is the anomaly and it's the season TPTB hate the most. BBOTT and Celeb BB were both good but I'm not sure they even count.

• Love 1

Oh, yeah, BB12 basically set the tone for most of the subsequent seasons- a strong alliance that dominates early, usually with a bunch of bros at the center of it and then the token girl who will likely get cut right at the end because she was never really in the boys club, although Nicole Franzel managed to hang on in Season 19 but did not in season 22.

BB17 gave us Vanessa Rousso, who I swear to god was the closest we're ever going to get to a Season 2 Nicole-type player. But for the most part, no one ever saves themselves with pure negotiation skills anymore. It's like a predetermined boot order. 

I'm curious though- I had no experience at all with 21. I've heard it was bad- like "people should get fired" bad like BB15. Just how bad was it? Are we talking "people sitting around and talking about how black people in Africa sit around with flies on their face" bad? 

11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Oh, yeah, BB12 basically set the tone for most of the subsequent seasons- a strong alliance that dominates early, usually with a bunch of bros at the center of it and then the token girl who will likely get cut right at the end because she was never really in the boys club, although Nicole Franzel managed to hang on in Season 19 but did not in season 22.

BB17 gave us Vanessa Rousso, who I swear to god was the closest we're ever going to get to a Season 2 Nicole-type player. But for the most part, no one ever saves themselves with pure negotiation skills anymore. It's like a predetermined boot order. 

I'm curious though- I had no experience at all with 21. I've heard it was bad- like "people should get fired" bad like BB15. Just how bad was it? Are we talking "people sitting around and talking about how black people in Africa sit around with flies on their face" bad? 

It wasn't as overt as BB15. It was more like if a POC came into the room the Grateful would shun them socially. BB21 mostly sucked bc after jury Jackson never lost an HoH or veto. Seeing one guy challenge whore his way to the end just isn't exciting.

15 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

BB21 mostly sucked bc after jury Jackson never lost an HoH or veto. Seeing one guy challenge whore his way to the end just isn't exciting.

So basically he was BB14 Frank or BB 11 Jeff but actually managed to go all the way. It must have been a wet dream season for Alison Grodner then.

• Love 1

Nicole managed to hang on in those male dominated alliances because she's a He-Man Woman Hater and was absolutely no risk for starting anything with the other women.

BB21's grossness manifested (MANIFEST THE TRUTH, BRO) way more in a social groupthink kind of way than overt racist speech, generally speaking. BB21's people were mostly gross but acted like they were cool and "woke" (as the kids say); BB15's people didn't even try to pretend they weren't trashy.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

BB21's grossness manifested (MANIFEST THE TRUTH, BRO) way more in a social groupthink kind of way than overt racist speech, generally speaking. BB21's people were mostly gross but acted like they were cool and "woke" (as the kids say); BB15's people didn't even try to pretend they weren't trashy.

So they were basically similar to the Cult of Cappie from Season 6 in that they were a herd of hateful assholes who had no clue that America hated them. Does this mean Jackson was Maggie?

26 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

So they were basically similar to the Cult of Cappie from Season 6 in that they were a herd of hateful assholes who had no clue that America hated them. Does this mean Jackson was Maggie?

It wasn't quite a cult, as there was no real central figure for them to weirdly obsess over. It was more like your typical HS level clique mean kid behavior, but with this gross undercurrent of prejudice. You know, for an added twist.

Not to spoil anything, but there is an America's Choice thing that viewers voted on where some of the HG's realized we weren't fans of theirs. That was a fun one haha.

Other highlights include Jackson looking miserable after winning and his last words of the season being "I'm not racist", as well as Jack's entire interview with Julie where he comes off as the enormous toolbox that he is.

Edited by Alice Mudgarden
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

Other highlights include Jackson looking miserable after winning and his last words of the season being "I'm not racist", as well as Jack's entire interview with Julie where he comes off as the enormous toolbox that he is.

He's admitted that he was withdrawing from drugs which is just like...why the hell does casting allow this? He's also allegedly dating Morgan from Cheer Netflix, which makes sense as you can tell she had unstable parents who likely had drug issues.

1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

He's admitted that he was withdrawing from drugs which is just like...why the hell does casting allow this? He's also allegedly dating Morgan from Cheer Netflix, which makes sense as you can tell she had unstable parents who likely had drug issues.

During the season, he had said something, I can't recall what, and all of us in the live feed thread started discussing how irresponsible it was that he was cast on the show. It did shed light on why they seemed to treat him with the most kiddie of kid gloves, because it had to be because they were concerned about his well-being (and, probably more accurately, the repercussions of their choice to cast him in the first place).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Im watching S5 for the first time....what the hell happened to this show? This is how you play Big Brother. We had the dudebros in control, they got overthrown, the women controlled the house, there were smart plays, it wasn't filled with glorified models, they had regular people! 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

But one of the dudebros won and the F2 was 2 men, which kinda ruins it for me lol.

Yeah I was disappointed that the girls let the men win but at least Drew/Cowboy werent nearly as dudebros like their other 2 friends were so I don't really count them as "dudebros" lol.

• Love 1

Finished S5 and now jumping to S15 which I know is controversial for all of the racism that happens this season. Jeremy just got eliminated and dude seriously goes "I'm not a bully, I think it's because of the way I look, that people take things the wrong way". So much delusion!

• Love 2
On 6/1/2021 at 1:41 PM, Primal Slayer said:

Finished S5 and now jumping to S15 which I know is controversial for all of the racism that happens this season. Jeremy just got eliminated and dude seriously goes "I'm not a bully, I think it's because of the way I look, that people take things the wrong way". So much delusion!

The one redeeming moment of that season is Ginamarie going off on Amanda. Amanda is the typical bully who can't take what she dishes. Big Brother having to switch to the fishbowls several times because of Ginamarie spilling the tea on Amanda's various medications and apparent multiple personality disorder will never not be hilarious.

Anyway, Paulie Caliafiore. My god, if there was ever a case of "I'm not the Golden Child and that gives me issues", it's this guy. My god. It's telling that Big Brother never attempted to bring this guy back. They probably knew it would be like a Hantz situation if they did. The jury house fight with Da'vone? My god. 

I fell down some listicle rabbit hole for BB and am watching season 5, which I never watched when it first aired. First off, the way they talk about LGBTQ people and the things that they say in front of Will about gay people makes me realize that even though we aren't perfect, we as a society have come SO FAR in regards to our attitudes and views. Cowboy literally did not know the difference between gay men and drag queens. Yikes. 

I'm also so glad I was married before 2005, because if the standard of men was like all those dude bros, I would have considered joining a convent. Double yikes. 

I am appalled at the Cowboy/Nakomis thing. I know it was controversial back then, and this is probably coming from my point of view as a therapist, but that whole thing could have gone so wrong. The amount of real trauma that they could have inflicted on those two is enormous. Both of them were able to handle it well, and maybe they were just shell shocked, but those propducers were messing with people's lives in a whole new way.  I felt icky watching that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 7/12/2022 at 12:52 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Anyway, Paulie Caliafiore.…My god. It's telling that Big Brother never attempted to bring this guy back.

Those of us on this board who are dedicated followers of The Challenge can give you far more details than I can, but apparently Paulie was his…endearing self on that show, too.  Possibly more.

Oh, and then there's his attempts to monetize the "Zaulie" "romance" with Zakiyah.  Yoicks.

Checking back on this thread (and one of my more-egregious mistakes), I now realize that last season and this one are the first time since S2-S3 that we've had consecutive seasons of "Strangers in a House", the pure BB concept with no "pre-existing relationship" twists.

Indeed, I'll give the whole list, just so I don't get any one wrong.  Or so I can be called out if I fluff it, again.

s2-pure

s3-pure

s4-exes

s5-twins and Michael/Nakomis sibling twist

s6-secret pairs

s7-All-Stars

s8-"enemies" (aka any excuse to get the Donatos in together)

s9-secret couples (Ryan/Jenn and Jacob/Sharon)

s10-pure

s11-Jessie returns, by fan vote

s12-pure

s13-three returning "duos"

s14-four returning "coaches"

s15-Elissa is a past HG's sister, which affects her game

s16-pure, basically

(This is the one I missed before; Frankie is [very slightly] famous and his sister would become moreso, but that's nothing to do with the game, really.)

s17-twins

s18-four returning HGs and two siblings of former HGs

OTT-Jason returns (by fan vote) and a secret siblings twist

s19-Paul returns (Lorde help us…)

s20-pure

s21-Christy/Tommy twist

(ETA: Kat and Holly knew each other as well; I just took greater note of Christy/Tommy because it was promoted as a "twist", but Kat/Holly would have made the season "impure" on its own.)

s22-All-Stars

s23-pure

s24-pure

So Grodner's getting better at laying off of the gimmicks, it seems.

(Yes, I'm probably jinxing us by writing that.  Forgive me?)

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

s14-four returning "coaches"

I think that was the first season that actually was followed on here in real time and I don't think anybody actually bought the "coaching" b.s.

Edited by methodwriter85
9 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

s21-Christy/Tommy twist

Was that confirmed to be a twist? I thought it was an accidental casting blunder. 

I didn't watch season 17 with their secret twins but I kind of loved the Adria/Natalie twist in season 5. It didn't really amount to much as it turned out, but it was cool while it lasted.

Edited by kassandra8286
5 hours ago, kassandra8286 said:

Was that confirmed to be a twist? I thought it was an accidental casting blunder. 

Yea, it was an accident. They didn't catch that Kat and Holly knew each other either. Casting must have been real lazy that year lol.

• Love 1

I wasn't aware Christy/Tommy was considered an accident; they presented it as part of the show since the premiere.  I guess they caught it in pre-sequester, but I think that counts more as "found money" than "we screwed up", since they made the decision to incorporate it into the season.  Had they not wanted to do Christy/Tommy, they could have pulled one of them and inserted an alternate.

(Remember, every "Mexico" [this season's HG code for talking about pre-sequester] has a bunch of Josephs sitting there, ready to go if they decide that Marvin appearing on America's Got Talent kind of blows the synergy, or whatever the case may be.)

OTOH, Production never had a clue about Kat/Holly until the show was underway and IIRC, they didn't publicize it at all until it became part of the story of the Week 6 implosion of the Six Shooters.

But JMO.