Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Mike Tomlin is a pretty great coach. Adam Gase, not so much. 

100%.  It's not even just the coaches; it's the culture.  The Jets culture?  Thanks but no thanks.  The Steelers culture?  Sure they've had some criticism recently & it's not as great as in the past.  However, it's still tremendous, and that makes a big difference

The Steelers still have a great culture.   Because the culture is not about wins and losses.   Its about being a team and working together to build something the right way.   Its about patience instead of what have you done lately?   That's why they have had only 3 head coaches in the Super Bowl era (maybe its 4).   Whereas the Jets don't have that culture.

Nice of Bell to stick up for Darnold.   

• Like 1

The Steelers had a couple things going for them at the start of this 50 year run that most teams never got. First, they have the old school ownership who were a big part of laying down the foundation for the NFL. With that history came a respect for the league and "how things should be done."

Second, and probably more important, between 1968 and 1974 they drafted the following players:

• Rocky Bleier
    • Joe Greene HOF
    • Jon Kolb
    • L.C.Greenwood
    • Terry Bradshaw HOF
    • Mel Blount HOF
    • Jack Ham HOF
    • Dwight White
    • Larry Brown
    • Mike Wagner
    • Franco Harris HOF
    • J.T. Thomas
  • 1974 (wow!)
    • Lynn Swan HOF
    • Jack Lambert HOF
    • John Stallworth HOF
    • Mike Webster HOF

From that point on, it was pretty smooth sailing as far as an organization having a chance to develop a culture of winning and a Steelers way of doing things.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

That's why they have had only 3 head coaches in the Super Bowl era (maybe its 4).

Three. Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin. And they all won at least one Super Bowl.

Regarding Bell I think a big reason the Steelers wouldn't give him what he wanted was his weed use.  He had been suspended twice. Once for DUI and marijuana possession and then for missing a random drug test.  And now we know he got high before some games.   He was valuable enough they wanted to keep him but his drug use made them not want to commit long term.  This is a team who traded away their best WR and SB MVP Santonio Holmes in part due to his weed use.  

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

From that point on, it was pretty smooth sailing as far as an organization having a chance to develop a culture of winning and a Steelers way of doing things.

They built a dynasty with those draft picks.  You couldn't do that today.  Free agency changed things.

1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

They built a dynasty with those draft picks.  You couldn't do that today.  Free agency changed things.

Free agency indeed would have meant that they would have purchased some players to go with Greene/Harris/Bradshaw prior to the 74 season, and who knows how many of those four guys they would have drafted in that case.

But I would think that under today's rules, should a team somehow manage to draft 9 hall of famers in a period of 7 years with the last 4 in the final year of the run, that team would absolutely have a shot of becoming a four-time champion.

Greene and Bradshaw were first round picks, so the Steelers would have exercised 5th year options on both, meaning that Greene would have received his first big free agency contract in 1974. Bradshaw would have hit his free agency contract in 1974.  All the rest of those guys would awesomely be playing under rookie contracts when the Steelers won Super Bowls in 1974 and 1975. When they won in 1978 the class of 74 was still under rookie deals. 

By 1979 the Steelers would have been in serious trouble trying to keep all of those guys. Way too much talent to be able to pay everybody, but they would have had a hell of a run with all those stars on rookie deals!

On 5/31/2023 at 4:01 PM, JTMacc99 said:

By 1979 the Steelers would have been in serious trouble trying to keep all of those guys. Way too much talent to be able to pay everybody, but they would have had a hell of a run with all those stars on rookie deals!

Maybe I'm boasting a little, but I think they still would've found a way to win in 1979 if the current FA rules existed at that time.  While a QB is needed in a sport, nobody's winning a lot without a great coach & awesome culture

After the game, when she wasn’t onstage with her boys, her coach, her team (though she was at the stadium), I knew something was wrong.

Then I put the thought away from me, as you do, when you don’t want to think about what’s coming.

I’m far more broken up than I expected.  Norma Hunt was a generous woman, with a profound interest in football and abiding love for her Chiefs.  I’m ever so grateful she lived long enough to see the trophy bearing her husband’s name back in Kansas City.

Rest in peace, Mrs Hunt!  Please hug Lamar on behalf of the Kingdom.  Say hey to Len & the boys.  And tell #58 that the Derrick-shaped hole in my heart will never be healed.

• Love 4

I’m going with Dallas, Belichick Shanahan, Burrow, and Sauce. 

IMG_3096.jpeg

The only "Had to Have" thing on this list for me was Burrows. I mean, it's a pretty good bargain to get Lawrence for $2, but Burrows is a proven commodity, so I sink the $5 on him and move on to build the rest of the team.

Dallas at $2 is a pretty easy choice. No income taxes, and we already know that you can build a hell of a brand in Dallas.

So I've got $8 left. It's not a bad idea to go with the pass rushers, but Gardner at $3 as a 22 year-old All-Pro CB is an easy pick for me to start my franchise. (I also really wanted him to fall to the Giants last year in the draft. Freaking Jets.)

So I have enough left to take Andy Reid, but I'd pass and take Belichick over him. He was a big part of building the first Giants Super Bowl teams, so I'll always like him for that. 

However, it's an odd coaches column as three of them are significantly old. So I'm going to change my mind and go with Shanahan. If I'm building my team starting today, I should probably pick a coach who isn't 70.

• Like 1

That's .... actually a pretty good team based on the choices and amount available.  I might take Reid over Shanahan simply because he actually WON a Super Bowl.   But Kyle is not a bad choice.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

That's .... actually a pretty good team based on the choices and amount available.  I might take Reid over Shanahan simply because he actually WON a Super Bowl.   But Kyle is not a bad choice.

I think that If I handed 55 year-old Belichick Burrows and Gardner as his starting building blocks, he's probably do good work from there.

It is interesting to think what Shanahan could do with Burrows. He gets a lot of production from a guy who was the last overall pick. One would think he could cook up some success with somebody who was deservedly the first overall pick.

Nothing says you can only take one per column so I’ll take Pittsburgh which is a perfectly pleasant place, Shanahan at $2 is a bargain, Burrow at $5 and then Gardner, Watt, AND Surtain for a combined $6. I have $1 left so Fields can back up Burrow. Print the tickets!

• LOL 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Nothing says you can only take one per column

In that case, I will take Pittsburgh -- a terrific football city, Shanahan at the bargain basement price, Burrow for my top dollar guy, McCaffrey so that Burrow has someone to do something with the ball, then Watt and Surtain on the D side with a dollar left over.

ETA:   Actually since I have that dollar left over, I will splurge and go Dallas over Pittsburgh.   Because ... reasons.  

Edited by merylinkid

I’m starting with NYC full stop so I have to be judicious with that last ten bucks.

I’ve always wanted Mike Tomlin, so he’s next.  That leaves room for Jefferson and Gardner.  Where’s my Lombardi?

As football cities go I think NY is way overvalued. The stadium sucks and the media is overbearing. You also have to compete with another franchise. LA I’m also not sure if anyone will show up for a team that’s 5-12, but we might find out soon. Pittsburgh may actually be my first pick even at even values. 

Got another one. You again have $15. 

Definitely says one from each column.  So many winning combinations, so I’ll start with Mahomes, Saquon, Kelce, Lamb, and Adams. 

Feels like Mahomes could work with those two $1 receivers. Heh. 

IMG_3102.jpeg

Where's the freaking defensive players?

But having said that -- definitely Mahomes, then Kittle and Lamb and deebo samuels and nick chubb.   But honestly that is just a great O.   The other team is gonna score at will because ain't nobody to stop them.

• Like 1

On that grid the one player who stands out as a bargain is Chubb at $2 given the injury and age concerns of everyone listed above him, and his own stellar stats. Next is Davante Adams at $1. Even in the Raiders' misbegotten 2022 season, he caught 100 balls for over 1500 yards.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Where's the freaking defensive players?

Pretty much my thoughts when I first saw that on Social Media.

I get that the league has moved toward offense.  Though not so much in the postseason (at least for 59 minutes & 57-59 seconds).  However, "defense wins championships" and that's still a part of sports.

I think I would have been okay with the "task" if it said "Build your own offense" as opposed to "Build your perfect team" since there are 3 parts to the NFL.

All I need is Mahomes & Henry, and then Waller, Lamb, and Adams would be enough to win.  That's assuming I had a decent defense and at least an average O-Line

10 hours ago, Carey said:

However, "defense wins championships" and that's still a part of sports.

I was at a charity event on Tuesday. There were a few retired athletes there as hosts. A couple of them are on the board of the charity.  The former NFL players were long time FB Tony Richardson and WR and all-world return man Dante Hall

Dante Hall's name rang a bell with me, so I went down a internet search hole for a while. (The link with his name above is a four minute highlight reel of him, aka The Human Joystick.)  After that, I looked up the 2003 Chiefs and holy moly, that was some offense on that team. Trent Green at QB, Priest Holmes, Tony Richardson, Donte Hall, Tony Gonzalez, and Willie Roaf all went to the Pro Bowl and several were also All-Pro selections.

They were 13-3, scored 484 points and were first in the league in scoring that year.

And they lost to Peyton Manning 38-31 in the divisional round of the playoffs. It was the third time a playoff game had no punts, as Manning was 22-30, 304 yards and 3 TDs, and Edgerin James ran for 125 yards and two more TDs. (Dante Hall had 200+ yards returning kickoffs that game, including a TD and added another TD receiving.)

The Colts that year were 12-4, scored 447 points and were second in the league in scoring. 

So unsurprising that they rolled up the points against each other.

In the AFC Championship game, the Colts lost to the Patriots 24-14. The Patriots had one TD, a safety and five field goals. The 2003 Patriots were 12th in the league in points scored, BUT they were 14-2 because they only gave up 238 points and were first overall in defensive scoring.  

Defense win championships.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Antonio Brown’s arena team got kicked out of the NAL.

On a similar note, roses are red, violets are blue, oranges are orange, and cash is green.  Also, Halloween is October 31st, Christmas is December 25th, and Valentines Day is February 14th.

In addition, the grass is green, the sky is blue, blood is red, and corn is yellow

• Wink 2
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Why?

The have a few things going on.

First, there is a feeling about the team (although probably not BY the team) that they're going backwards. They were a team on the rise going 10-6 in 2019, and then went 13-3 and lost in awful fashion in the 2020 AFC Championship game. Then the last two years they got bounced in the Divisional playoffs. 

They didn't have a lot of draft capital or cap space to make material upgrades to the roster this off season, so that's not giving anybody confidence that they're going to do any better in 2023. There's also a lot of talk about the AFC East being the most difficult division in football this year. (The Patriots never had that problem when they were the top dog in the AFC East for like a million years in a row.)

Then Stefon Diggs missed a day or two of mandatory OTAs, and the coach told the press that he was very concerned about it. Diggs fired off a series of cryptic tweets about criticism about his absence. Then like a day later the coach had an unscheduled press conference stating that Diggs's absence was excused and that there's nothing to see here.

The coach has also stated that he plans to call the plays on defense this year, which isn't a bad thing, but it's an interesting change. 

It's just a bunch of stuff that starts to add up as a team that doesn't feel like a team that has all it's ducks in a row to make a run at a championship. But mostly it's Diggs and his actions that make it look like things aren't all good for Buffalo. People are remembering that he threw a bit of a fit on the sidelines the last time we saw the playing, and now he's still frustrated with his role. (Meaning that he believes he is more important than apparently the team makes him feel that he is.)

• Like 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The have a few things going on.

First, there is a feeling about the team (although probably not BY the team) that they're going backwards. They were a team on the rise going 10-6 in 2019, and then went 13-3 and lost in awful fashion in the 2020 AFC Championship game. Then the last two years they got bounced in the Divisional playoffs. 

They didn't have a lot of draft capital or cap space to make material upgrades to the roster this off season, so that's not giving anybody confidence that they're going to do any better in 2023. There's also a lot of talk about the AFC East being the most difficult division in football this year. (The Patriots never had that problem when they were the top dog in the AFC East for like a million years in a row.)

Then Stefon Diggs missed a day or two of mandatory OTAs, and the coach told the press that he was very concerned about it. Diggs fired off a series of cryptic tweets about criticism about his absence. Then like a day later the coach had an unscheduled press conference stating that Diggs's absence was excused and that there's nothing to see here.

The coach has also stated that he plans to call the plays on defense this year, which isn't a bad thing, but it's an interesting change. 

It's just a bunch of stuff that starts to add up as a team that doesn't feel like a team that has all it's ducks in a row to make a run at a championship. But mostly it's Diggs and his actions that make it look like things aren't all good for Buffalo. People are remembering that he threw a bit of a fit on the sidelines the last time we saw the playing, and now he's still frustrated with his role. (Meaning that he believes he is more important than apparently the team makes him feel that he is.)

This and new reports the former defensive coordinator Frazier left due to tension with McDermott.

Not confirmed but where's there's smoke there's fire with a lot of rumblings around the organization.  Plus there's rumors about Josh Allen's personal life I won't mention here, maybe you know of it since you follow the team.  But yeah it's rumored that's why he had a bad day against the Bengals.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1

I think this might be McDermott's last season with Buffalo.  There may be a ton more people than Cowherd saying how football (and sports in general) have trended more toward offense.  Basically my post here sorta channels Colin's point as I think I definitely agree with his take from last week.  That is a big problem for the Bills.

It's comparable to the Steelers.  Two great head coaches, but on the wrong side of the ball.  The problem is how they struggle with trying to adapt, which could be coupled with them not wanting to be "told what to do" in the NFL.  It's the same thing with Belichick as of late.

Looks like the Bills didn't do anything to fix their offense or their ground game issues.  Similar to how Pittsburgh is doubling & tripling down on their defense to stop the scoring; maybe try to improve offensively.  I think it's more probable than not Josh Allen goes down for the year due to wear & tear.  Buffalo is not walking over the AFC East like New England did in the past.  If Allen follows the footsteps of Cam and Big Ben, then I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills are back to being in 4th place in the AFC East.

Such a shame.  Finally getting over the GOAT of coaching, but only one divisional win to show for it

• Like 1

I knew all the stuff going on with Stefan Diggs, and that the Bills had little cap space, but that was all I knew, being that I’m more concerned with the AFC North goings on.

I happen to like Josh Allen and the Bills.  I always felt bad for the fans for that 0-4 Super Bowl run.  Jim Kelly was a favorite of mine back in the day.  And who doesn’t feel bad for Norwood?

even if I rooted for the Bungles (AFC North, Ohio team, Burrow a tOSU alumnae), I wouldn’t have been unhappy to see the Bills winning, either.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, roamyn said:

I’m more concerned with the AFC North goings on.

The AFC North, just like the AFC East, sure looks like there isn't a bad team in the bunch.

When we get to the start of September and everybody and their brother is making their predictions for the season, I expect EVERYBODY to predict that the NFC East will finish in exactly the same order that it did in 2022 (so Eagles/Cowboys/Giants/Washington.) It probably won't shake out that way, as what we think should happen rarely does happen, but consensus will be that there is no reason to think that this year won't be exactly like last year.

But I don't expect a heck of a lot of consensus on the AFC East and AFC North. If there is any specific thing that we might see a lot of people predicting would be to put New England and Cleveland as the last place teams. But I'd bet real money that at least one of them, if not both, don't finish 4th in the division. And I'd imagine we'll see all sorts of different opinions about who is going to win those divisions.

Having said all that, I remember that going into last season, everybody was super excited about how great the AFC West was going to be. Actual results, not so much.

• Like 1

I don’t want to say Mahomes because that feels too obvious, so my answer is Burrow.

By the way, where's Stafford.  He actually has as many divisional wins as Allen.  Not only did Matt win each of his next two games, he's currently closer to Canton than Josh.

Joe Cool is getting into the endzone.  For the most part.  If he can't, one of two things will help him out.  The defense is too good, especially in the second half, and chances are that things will be at the point where getting into the endzone for the win isn't that imperative

On 6/19/2023 at 9:26 PM, Carey said:

I think this might be McDermott's last season with Buffalo.  There may be a ton more people than Cowherd saying how football (and sports in general) have trended more toward offense.  Basically my post here sorta channels Colin's point as I think I definitely agree with his take from last week.  That is a big problem for the Bills.

It's comparable to the Steelers.  Two great head coaches, but on the wrong side of the ball.  The problem is how they struggle with trying to adapt, which could be coupled with them not wanting to be "told what to do" in the NFL.  It's the same thing with Belichick as of late.

Looks like the Bills didn't do anything to fix their offense or their ground game issues.  Similar to how Pittsburgh is doubling & tripling down on their defense to stop the scoring; maybe try to improve offensively.  I think it's more probable than not Josh Allen goes down for the year due to wear & tear.  Buffalo is not walking over the AFC East like New England did in the past.  If Allen follows the footsteps of Cam and Big Ben, then I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills are back to being in 4th place in the AFC East.

Such a shame.  Finally getting over the GOAT of coaching, but only one divisional win to show for it

Imo you could add Saleh to that mix on the Jets.  Defense is more his specialty.  Perhaps Rodgers will help them this year?

While I agree with you the league revolves around offense I still very much appreciate the 85 Bears 91 Eagles and 2000 Ravens defenses or any good defense 

• Like 2

Mahomes all day every day because, yeah, he been there done that.   But if Mahomes were not a choice, then Jalen Hurts.   Because he's shown he can come through and he's made it to the big game.   Third would be Burrows but it would be an extremely close third.   

10 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

While I agree with you the league revolves around offense I still very much appreciate the 85 Bears 91 Eagles and 2000 Ravens defenses or any good defense 

When you look at the next twenty champions after the 2000 Ravens (who only gave up 165 points the entire year), you'll see MOST champions with outstanding defenses and only a few where the offense/QB had to carry the team through the playoffs to overcome defensive weaknesses. 

By year, champion, defensive rank of points allowed:

• 2001 New England 6th (also 6th offense, the start of the run of this team being great on both sides)
  • 2002 Tampa Bay 1st by a wide margin
  • 2003 New England 1st (12 on offense)
  • 2004 New England 2nd tie (4th on offense)
  • 2005 Pittsburgh 3rd tie
  • 2006 Indianapolis 23rd (2nd on offense)
  • 2007 NY Giants 17th (14th on offense)
  • 2008 Pittsburgh 1st (20th on offense)
  • 2009 New Orleans 20th (1st on offense)
  • 2010 Green Bay 2nd (10th offense)
  • 2011 NY Giants 25th (9th offense although dead last 32nd rushing yards)
  • 2012 Baltimore 12th (10th offense)
  • 2013 Seattle 1st (9th offense)
  • 2014 New England 8th (4th offense)
  • 2015 Denver 4th (19th offense)
  • 2016 New England 1st (3rd offense)
  • 2017 Philadelphia 4th (3rd offense)
  • 2018 New England 7th (4th offense)
  • 2019 Kansas City 7th (5th offense)
  • 2020 Tampa Bay 3rd (8th offense)

Conclusions I can draw from this.

1. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.  Look at all of those top ten defenses! 
    Look at them!
  2. New England (and this followed Brady to Tampa) had an excellent defense for all of their championships, and the offense held up its end of the bargain every time. It's pretty damn impressive.
  3. Roethlisberger and Rogers got their only rings in years with elite defenses. Maybe the Jets can help out the old man this year.
  4. Indianapolis Peyton, Brees, and Eli X2 got no help from their defenses. The only 3 guys in that 20 year run you can say that about.
4 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Indianapolis Peyton, Brees, and Eli X2 got no help from their defenses. The only 3 guys in that 20 year run you can say that about.

The Giants squad from SB XLII is tricky. Sure, they were mediocre for the season, but they really stepped up in the playoffs and held the undefeated Patriots to 14 points. And, as much as I like Eli, a defensive player should have been the MVP of that game. I'll absolutely give it to Eli for SB XLVI.

• Fire 1
  • Useful 1
31 minutes ago, Popples said:

The Giants squad from SB XLII is tricky. Sure, they were mediocre for the season, but they really stepped up in the playoffs and held the undefeated Patriots to 14 points

They also gave up 38 points to the Patriots in week 17 a few weeks earlier.

Having said that, they were a team that was great from December 2007 through Plaxico shooting himself in 2008.  So let's say that the 2007 Giants are better represented by what they had turned into by the end of that year.

The 2008 Giants were 5th on Defense and 3rd on offense.  Which knocks down the number of teams that won championships with mediocre defenses to 3 out of 20.

Oh great.  Now I'm tempted to revisit my notes as it relates to where the runners-up ranked, as well as where the top offensive teams finished in the postseason (as applicable).

I don't know why I thought that those Giants teams were better in addition to the Saints in 2009.  I guess they upped their game in the most meaningful times of the NFL season!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Carey said:

as well as where the top offensive teams finished in the postseason (as applicable).

It was my charity event with Dante Hall, and looking up and discovering how awesome the 2003 Chiefs and Colts offenses were, that started me down this exercise. Those two teams were absolute fire on offense, but it was the top ranked defense of the Patriots that had the best record and the Lombardi trophy that year. (I'll say it again, it's not like the Patriots didn't also bring along a very good to excellent offense each year. They probably also kicked ass on special teams.)

For what it's worth, the 1986 and 1990 Giants were really terrific teams. 1986 they were 2nd on defense (far behind the Bears who gave up 187 points) and 8th on offense. The 1990 team was 1st on defense and 15th on offense. 

21 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Mahomes all day every day because, yeah, he been there done that.   But if Mahomes were not a choice, then Jalen Hurts.   Because he's shown he can come through and he's made it to the big game.   Third would be Burrows but it would be an extremely close third.   

I’ll take Mahoney out because he’s too obvious.  Josh Allen is too risky.  But if Burrow gets the protection he needs, then he’s my choice.  Otherwise I’m taking Jalen Hurts or Lamar Jackson. 

And yes, as a Browns fan, it pains me to say the last one.

On 6/22/2023 at 5:14 AM, roamyn said:

Josh Allen is too risky.

I feel like Josh Allen should be a good answer to this question. Where Mahomes adds in the ability to make a play off schedule by flinging the ball effortlessly to a somehow open Kelce, Allen brings the ability to take off on his feet and Derek Henry defensive backs to make a play during a game winning drive. 

He was just so sloppy last year, that a little doubt has crept in. 

• Like 1

I have to see how Buffalo does this season to validate my skepticism, and the reason is simple.  The Bills lost Daboll to New York; that does not get mentioned enough

• Useful 1
21 hours ago, Carey said:

The Bills lost Daboll to New York; that does not get mentioned enough

Based on his one year with the Giants, and it is only one year so we'll see if this holds up, he is a heck of a football coach who likely made a tremendous positive impact during his time with the Bills. The Giants also took Joe Schoen from the Bills front office. 

It's part of the deal when you create a successful organization like the Bills have done. You occasionally lose important contributors. Sometimes it creates a bump in the road for while. 

As a Giant fan, I'm kinda-sorta hoping that the Eagles losing both coordinators might slow them down a bit this year. Seems like a long shot, given the talented veteran roster, but a fan can hope.

• Like 1

JJ Watt Joining CBS

Looks like he'll be part of the top studio crew.  BTW, no one's going anywhere.  At least for this 2023 season in which CBS ends the NFL year with coverage of the 58th annual Super Bowl. 

Despite what happened in 2006, CBS and other networks typically don't make big changes right before a network Super Bowl year.  Which is why I feel the FOX studio crew still has 2 final years together before something big happens.

FWIW, the current NFL Today crew is the best they've had since the one from a decade ago.  That previous statement excludes the NFC era of the NFL Today; just this era being the best in a quarter century.  Early speculation has me thinking one of the studio members will get promoted to where they're calling games with Jim Nantz by the time NFL Season 105 starts.  Of course there's still Matt Ryan who was added as in analyst prior to JJ Watt, but the plan is to have him calling games & not with Nantz

14 hours ago, Carey said:

Early speculation has me thinking one of the studio members will get promoted to where they're calling games with Jim Nantz by the time NFL Season 105 starts.

So is Romo going somewhere?  I wouldn't be sorry to see him leave.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be sorry to see his exit occur either, but do not bet on it.  That's not to say that a return for his 8th season in the booth is super probable.  It's still North of 50% since the deal was worth a ton.  In "deal" I mean Tony's contract.  I believe it opened at 10 years & in the 8-9 digit figure in 2017.

Somehow things ended up with not much heading in 2020, before a solid 3-year deal through 2022.  Here's an article where you can find content & a tweet from Adam Schefter about the details going forward.

So to be brief, looks like Romo is going to be around until 2029, I believe.  There was a 7-year extension that was dependent on CBS's deal amid the new TV deal that's from 2023-2033.

Finally, CBS wasn't happy with his efforts.  So they can find a way out of this or promote someone from within, possibly Coach or Nate