Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, twoods said:

SoFi is absolutely stunning. You walk in and immediately go “Holy shit” because it is so much better in person than on TV. Makes sense they would have another SB there so quickly.

Plus, Super Bowl LXI will be in 2027 and will be sandwiched between the World Cup in 2026 and the Olympics in 2028, for which SoFi will be hosting a bit (maybe?) and a lot, respectively, of the events.  It's a perfect venue for these big events.

• Like 2

You make a great point, JTMacc.  I could totally see a rotation between a half handful of venues.  Though I would probably add Miami's Hard Rock Stadium and AT&T to those other areas.  Five venues are perfect.  Though if you include Mercedes in Atlanta and Levi's, then there really doesn't need to be anymore.

That leads to my next comment.  About a year ago, actually this calendar year, there was speculation toward having the conference title games at a neutral site.  At first I wasn't a fan of it, but I actually would not be opposed to it.  In fact, I'm no longer opposed to it.

For one, in a way, it sorta makes up for the second place conference regular season team for getting cheated out of something in the postseason.  Furthermore, former Super Bowl sights that might no longer be a great destination to host the big game could rotate (including Lucas Oil, US Bank, Ford Field, NRG, The Toaster, etc).  To prevent a conference lucky enough to host at home, you'd have Ford Field and US Bank for the AFC Title Game, and Lucas Oil & NRG for the NFC Title Game

2 hours ago, Carey said:

About a year ago, actually this calendar year, there was speculation toward having the conference title games at a neutral site.  At first I wasn't a fan of it, but I actually would not be opposed to it.  In fact, I'm no longer opposed to it.

But then you are taking away home field advantage. Unless one of the teams gets lucky and the game is played on their home field.  

5 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

But then you are taking away home field advantage. Unless one of the teams gets lucky and the game is played on their home field.  

Not really.  The 1 seed still get their bye & a home game.  The only lucky thing that would occur, or the biggest gift would be if the 2 seed lost to a 7 seed.  That's good news for the 3 seed (or the 4 seed if the 3 seed lost).

Man, do I miss the era where you'd talk Thursday Night Football, and from there, have NOTHING negative to say about it.  Those were the days. 

Today, I'm bored. So if that's the feeling around the time to pick a winner, I'll say the Vegas/Bolts game ends in a tie. Whatever the over/under is, just go under

The refs need to call this game.  The Chargers are bleeding out on the mat and no pep talk from their cornerman is going to revive them.

And now the $64,000 question.  Does Brandon Staley come out with the team after halftime?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1

I guess it's not cool to "want" somebody "fired" from their job.  However, I don't think I can respect the Chargers as runners of an NFL franchise if they don't kick out the guy.  Maybe I could someday, but definitely not if they bring him back in 2024.

I sorta think the news that'll break will be Brandon Staley "resigning" and not "LA fires HC Staley" though the latter is the betting favorite.

IDC that Justin is out.  In not caring, I do hope the kid gets better, but a defensive coach should not allow 42 points from anybody.  Especially the Raiders.  In a complete game much less half of one

• Like 2

Considering that in the last two games up to now, the Raiders have scored 49 points, something has seriously gone awry with the Chargers defense.

Which means Minnesota is obviously the second coming of the Purple People Eaters.

• LOL 1

I think half the Chargers D is injured- all their LBs are out and two of their corners, but their defense has been a problem since they haven’t been able to keep leads which is why they lost so many one score games in the beginning of the season. I actually like the Chargers so this is sad to see, but hope they overhaul their coach and coordinators because they have talent but keep underperforming. 

Edited by twoods

So what are the bets that the Raiders get 70 or more?  AL, yes there is reason to run up the score...he's on the Chargers sideline in a headset.

If Staley isn't fired tomorrow, then I worry that SD might explode like that house in Arlington VA earlier this week.

1 hour ago, twoods said:

I think half the Chargers D is injured- all their LBs are out and two of their corners, but their defense has been a problem since they haven’t been able to keep leads which is why they lost so many one score games in the beginning of the season. I actually like the Chargers so this is sad to see, but hope they overhaul their coach and coordinators because they have talent but keep underperforming. 

The Chargers failed in all aspects, it wasn't just the defense. They gave the Raiders a short field way too many times. Stick actually threw for more yards than O'Connell. 

Weird game. 

4 hours ago, Fukui San said:

The Raiders going from scoring 0 points one week to 63 the next must be the record by a large margin. 

They got that at 42 points, I believe.

Every time a QB goes down and misses time makes me more mad at Ben McAdoo.

It's about 5 minutes after 8 in the AM.  I guess I'm surprised somebody different isn't the current Los Angeles Head Coach.  Though not shocked due to the time zone.  Plus, news breaks 10:01 AM Eastern anyway more often than not

Its official. That loser head coach (Brandon Staley) & their GM are officially gone. 

I feel sorry for whoever is the next coach of the Chargers because the Chargers will find a way to mess it up like they always do. Is there really any reason to ever root for the Chargers to win, much less be somewhat competent? 

Edited by Magog
  • Useful 1
34 minutes ago, Carey said:

Whenever they play the Cowboys, I guess haha

Didn't these idiots lose to the Cowboys this season? Freaking idiots can't even get that right. Its just like several seasons ago (Christmas Eve 2016) & those bastards cost us an 0-16 season by their sorry kicker missing a game-winning field goal against the Cleveland Browns (0-14 at the time). Very rarely do I get absolutely furious after NFL game results. But I was flat out livid by that game & I hated the Chargers ever since that game. It also ruined my Christmas so there goes another reason to hate the Chargers & to never ever see them get a Super Bowl victory.

Sure did lose to Dallas.  It might be a moot point if and when Dallas ends up being the first 2 seed to go missing from the Divisional Round.

Also a moot point was the 0-16 thing since somebody found a way to be worse than the worst a year later.

I do see the Chargers finding a way to wreck their opportunity, that's for sure!

Welcome to the part of the season where they'll be Saturday NFL games starting from today, all the way until the league's final four teams are revealed (12/16 & each of the following Saturdays).

All Games are on NFL Network

Minnesota at Cincinnati
Bengals by 3.5 O/U 41.0
Bengals & Under

Pittsburgh at Indianapolis
Colts by 1.5 ; O/U 41.5
Colts & Under

Denver at Detroit
Lions by 4.5 ; O/U 47.5
Broncos & Over

My picks are in both bold & italics.  No hedging with that 3rd game BTW, I do think Denver will win outright, but I can see Detroit surviving close

I was tuned into the CBS Sports Classic.  BTW, that was scheduled a very long time ago.  Pittsburgh/INDY was moved from Sunday to Saturday, and as a result, my local chose my CBS affiliate to air the game (it's been ABC & NBC for all cable/streaming until today).

While no big deal given I have YouTube TV, the sibling station aired North Carolina & Kentucky.

Pretty awesome for Cincinnati to get another bye week but the way they've been playing, they've been playing some good football.  Surprised they allowed that many points against Minnesota

All the accolades that Josh Allen & the Bills got for beating the Chiefs will mean absolutely nothing if they don't beat the Cowboys today. Those clowns (Bills) better not lose to those losers (Cowboys) today. I have to tolerate Jerry Jones being very confident & very happy about his team all week & I don't want another week of that nonsense. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

Week 15 Picks: Jets, Tampa Bay, Houston, San Francisco, Rams, Kansas City, New Orleans, Cleveland, Carolina

I have no feeling for the Falcons/Panthers.  The former can be tough to watch, and the latter is tough to watch.  I'll guess Carolina for my last attempt to pick them winning a game for the 2023 season.  I think the Jets might win outright but I feel they'll at least cover.  I believe while the 2019 Super Bowl reps win, Arizona and New England will keep it close and/or at least cover.

National Games

FOX GOTW: Dallas at Buffalo
Bills by 2.5 ; O/U 49.5
Buffalo & Under

SNF: Baltimore at Jacksonville  
Ravens by 3.5 O/U 40.5
Ravens & Over

MNF: Philadelphia at Seattle 
Eagles by 3.5 O/U 46.5  
Seahawks & Under

My picks are in both bold & italics.  None of those games are easy; really all of the games this week were not easy.  I finally ended my skid for MNF.  Fortunately I'm not going to have to worry about MNF after one week from tomorrow.  Well, until that silly conclusion to Super Wild Card Weekend

Oh look, a game swinging penalty which didn't affect the play at all negated a Chiefs turnover.

Surely Patrick Mahomes would want the officials to ignore that ticky tack call, which the announcers didn't think was actually a penalty in the first place. He just wants the players to be able to play, after all.

My Taylor Swift obsessed daughter wants to see her on TV, but she doesn't have the patience or interest to actually watch the game, lol.

Edited by Fukui San
  • LOL 7

Climate change.

At the beginning of the game Kevin and Greg were slurping ALL over the Cowboys.  Now they are shooketh.  And it is great.  GREAT.  Almost makes up for the Giants throwing up all over themselves.

• Like 10

HAHAHAHAHA!  🤣🤣🤣

I hope that puts Dak's MVP talk away. 

I can't decide who has a better chance for CoY:  Demeeco Ryan's or Kevin Stefanski.  What Demeeco has brought to that team is amazing.  And for Stefanski to navigate through four starting QBs and tons of injuries, is also stunning.

• Like 2

Dak probably shouldn't win it over Purdy anyway.  Even if San Francisco gets crushed by Baltimore, it will not be great to give it to him over the guy that beat him.

Though I probably think the Niners are worse without CMC and Deebo than without Brock, I'm leaning toward being totally fine with the second year QB from ISU winning it.  Probably aids to the MVP being the Cy Young of the NFL, but the guy is still playing great (helped by Trent Williams).

Even when they went on their skid, he stayed calm and played through adversity.  BTW, the 49ers did get screwed with their schedule (both Ohio teams were off the week before)

• Like 1

San Francisco, the first team to clinch a playoff berth, are the first of 8 teams to win its division.  If all goes well against the franchise that gave them their first loss in the big game, chances are that they will be the first of 2 teams to clinch a top seed

Bills 31 - Dem Boys 10. HA HA HA!! We Dem Boyz indeed!!

I wonder how Jerry Jones will try to put on a happy face on this ass whopping. At least, we won't have to hear his big mouth this week bragging about how great the Cowboys are. He's going to have a terrible night sleep tonight & that puts a smile on my face. 

• Like 3

For the second consecutive week, the entire AFC North except Pittsburgh won their football game, and Jacksonville becomes the second team to lose to the entire AFC North except Pittsburgh.

Simultaneous to the above, Baltimore becomes the fourth NFL team AND the first AFC team to clinch a playoff spot

• Applause 2

I hope karma doesn’t come after the Bills after they trolled the Cowboys on social media. I know they are happy they won, but focus more on getting into the playoffs. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 1

I'm a Ravens fan, so I didn't mind it last night, but damn, the Jags had a rough first half.  They left, at a minimum, 12 points on the field.  Two missed field goals, an unforced fumble and clock mismanagement at the end of the half.  If those last two had resulted in TDs, they could have been leading 20-10 at half.

Good luck to the Jags rest of the season, glad my Ravens won!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So I was thinking back to something TB12 said, to where mojoween pretty much said, "This is happening because of you!"  I basically didn't have any comment & could see it both ways.

Following TB12's recent comment, I think I'm on mojo's side here for real this time.  Though he's not completely wrong about QB's not throwing the ball into places where WRs can get crushed by DBs, and the defensive guy gets in big trouble for it (the point), I wonder why that is?

Anyway, enough of people that deserved to get suspended; the playoff picture is better in terms of talking points.

While Baltimore is looking good for Top AFC seed, the road toward the division title might come down to the last week.  It helped to win on SNF, but Cleveland can catch them with a rather decent schedule compared to the Ravens.  That, IMO, might be the worse-case scenario.  If they win one or both of their next games, that could be enough.  Unlike in 2019, I think they might actually win at least one game as the Number One seed.  That'll be all it'll take to host the conference title game for the first time ever.  That is not good for the rest of the conference.

For the NFC, we know the Niners, Cowboys, and Eagles are in.  I think Tampa gets back, and then there's Detroit.  I have no idea who'll be left to take the final 2 spots, but it appears those are wide open.   Minnesota is all but done toward their NFC North defense (Detroit is probably getting there), the Rams probably should be okay, and actually New Orleans, who could still catch Tampa.

Speaking of the NFC, Dallas can say so long to that top seed, and depending on Monday Night Football, it might be curtains for a home game to start the postseason, meaning they'll have to win at the home stadium of the NFC South winner for the second consecutive year to advance.  If that takes place, then they would need the assistance that took place a year ago (New York beating Minnesota) in order to avoid San Francisco in the divisional round.

With the above mention of MNF, Philadelphia might be "short stacked" meaning key players, specifically Jalen Hurts might not be 100% or available against Seattle.  If they can escape and then win out from there, they would have a chance to regain the Top Seed depending on what happens with the conference leaders (Baltimore & San Francisco) on Christmas Night.  The Eagles did manage to finally & officially get into the playoffs.

The NFL is great, but the playoff structure was decent before the turn of the decade. Money comes and goes, BTW.  At least they got rid of that silly ass Pro Bowl.  I actually don't have a solid opinion as to whether it was better off after the Super Bowl as opposed to before it

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, Carey said:

The NFL is great, but the playoff structure was decent before the turn of the decade. Money comes and goes, BTW.  At least they got rid of that silly ass Pro Bowl.  I actually don't have a solid opinion as to whether it was better off after the Super Bowl as opposed to before it

The Playoff structure was decent. Other than money (The NFL, that idiot Roger Goodell (especially), Jerry Jones (especially), & most of those scummy NFL Owners need more money like I need bedbugs & fire ants roaming around my house), there wasn't a want or a need for a 7th Playoff team in each conference. 😒 Its bad enough that we got a week 18, plus 17 games that we don't want or need. 😒

The Pro Bowl was a nice 3 hour nap for me. Now, I have the Pro Bowl Skills Competition to take its place. 

As for last night's game, all I can say is, "Thanks for nothing, Eagles." They had to lose that game in the final minute & for that, the Cowboys now are in the first place in that wretched NFC East. 😒 That Jerry Jones was very happy about that result & that infuriates me. They really need to get it together ASAP.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1

Magog, there may be some good to come out of yesterday's outcome.  In brief, it opens the door for that franchise that calls itself America's Team to become the first American team to be absent from the Divisional Round.

Which might not be a great thing for a team like Seattle, Los Angeles or New York.  Not because off the fate of their next game, but the fact that no one would talk about that unprecedented victory due to spending 7 days talking about the father of a grown man with his head in his palms crying on television for the whole world to see.

One more thing about the schedule & postseason change (no longer recent FTR).  I cannot wait to see how the league addresses the Valentine's Day / SB Sixty-One conflict.  If they actually address it