Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

On 7/21/2023 at 6:22 PM, mojoween said:

James Dolan would like to join the terrible owner cage fight.

Hey, is there any way to send Cole Beasley back to wherever he slithered out from?

Beasley is 34 years old. He is just there to hold the spot until Sheppard and Robinson are good to go from their injuries. Somebody has to run the routes in camp.  Also, as far as I can tell, the only thing he did wrong was to believe that vaccines are dangerous. He didn’t drive 140 miles an hour in a 55, and he hasn’t beat up any women as far as I can tell.

(edited)
10 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Beasley is 34 years old. He is just there to hold the spot until Sheppard and Robinson are good to go from their injuries. Somebody has to run the routes in camp.  Also, as far as I can tell, the only thing he did wrong was to believe that vaccines are dangerous. He didn’t drive 140 miles an hour in a 55, and he hasn’t beat up any women as far as I can tell.

You forgot willingly ignoring and disobeying covid rules. He put others at risk. He also put out a statement that was like I will do what I want, and if I make others sick or help kill someone another person loves, then oh well.

Edited by ScorpioSoul
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1

Gotta be honest, my opinion of Covid "rules" has shifted over time due to the hideous harm they did to my family (in exchange for no discernable benefit at the end of the day) that wouldn't have occurred had I lived in a place with different "rules". Just my personal experience, and the gift of 20/20 hindsight, but I'm no longer holding a lot of bad feelings towards dipshit athletes who refused to go along with the program back then. 

I'm not expecting everyone to feel the same way I do now, and for sure I felt Beasley was an idiot back then; I'm just saying my perspective has changed. 

My opinion of athletes who sexually assaulted dozens of women, or who drag race in residential neighborhoods, or drive 140 MPH in a 55, however has not changed one bit.

So yeah, Beasley is WAY down on my list of people I wouldn't want to be around my family or live in my vicinity when it comes to professional athletes I'm judging from afar. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Gotta be honest, my opinion of Covid "rules" has shifted over time due to the hideous harm they did to my family (in exchange for no discernable benefit at the end of the day) that wouldn't have occurred had I lived in a place with different "rules". Just my personal experience, and the gift of 20/20 hindsight, but I'm no longer holding a lot of bad feelings towards dipshit athletes who refused to go along with the program back then. 

How you, or anyone else, feels abt these things is one thing.

To outright say you don't care if others get hurt or sick because of something you did or didn't do, is quite another.

That's what makes him so despicable.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, roamyn said:

To outright say you don't care if others get hurt or sick because of something you did or didn't do, is quite another.

This.  Same reason why someone who flaunts speed limits on the highways is not admirable, either.  Sure, it's their right to take the risk, but it isn't their right to risk the lives of others.  Also, if you do decide you're willing to risk COVID or ignore speed limits; then accept the consequences, including the fact that some people will think you're a jerk.

As a medical caregiver, I'd also appreciate it if you didn't come to the hospital where I work expecting heroic lifesaving care for yourself when you couldn't even do the little things to avoid catastrophe.  We'll stil do everything we can to help you, but we'd rather you didn't tell us that you brought it on yourself.

Back in the bad old days when COVID was rampant, I was in the ER where I heard a patient apologize to the nurse because she hadn't gotten vaccinated and now had pneumonia.  After taking the patient to X ray, the nurse came to the break room and said that she just wished these people who didn't get vaccinated would either stay home when they got sick or keep their lack of vaccination to themselves.  It didn't make help her to take better care of anyone knowing they'd been a fool.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 7
  • Applause 2

Fair enough. If he was dumb enough to publicly state that he didn't care if he spread Covid to somebody it could have killed, then I'll move him up my list of shitheads. (I had my own problems at that time. I didn't have a lot of time to read what wide receivers were tweeting.)

He's not going to make the Giants roster unless they lose their top 5 receivers to injury (like they did last year), so he'll probably be out of work and we won't have to worry about him in a few weeks.

In unrelated NFL news, I've been listening to a lot of takes about the fact that nobody wants to pay running backs a lot of money right now.

I really hate when people say things along the lines of "Jones is nothing without Barkley, and he got paid."  It's totally feasible to say that you think Barkley should have received a better offer without knocking the Quarterback's contract to make your point.

My quick take on the RB situation is that it is VERY rare for a running back to churn out some of the best years of his career from the ages of 26-29, and that is the exact age range where players get the second, big money contract. 

They're not getting big contracts because it is highly unlikely that they'll be as good as they were when they were 22-25. That doesn't hold true for any other position as far as I can tell.

My "I've put a small amount of thought into this" first idea for helping out the RBs would be to have the next collective bargaining agreement come up with a rule that the rookie contracts for RBs are one year shorter in duration than the other positions. So backs taken in R1 have a three year deal with the fourth year option. Same shortening of the deals for all the subsequent rounds. That'll get them to free agency sooner. 

Probably not going to happen, but it's a thought.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

My quick take on the RB situation is that it is VERY rare for a running back to churn out some of the best years of his career from the ages of 26-29, and that is the exact age range where players get the second, big money contract. 

That's the gist of it.  Being a quality RB in the NFL is very physically punishing and the guys at the top are worn down by the time they've gotten to the point career-wise when most players start making major money.  So, very few teams want to take a chance on a great RB in his late 20's staying healthy long enough to make it worthwhile to sign him for long term contract at a premium rate.

I don't know what the answer is to this, clubs aren't going to want to pay more to rookie RB's who are unproven.  Yet, the grizzled vets become markedly less productive/more injury prone as they push 30.   As usual, the owners have the upper hand.

• Like 5

My "I've put a small amount of thought into this" first idea for helping out the RBs would be to have the next collective bargaining agreement come up with a rule that the rookie contracts for RBs are one year shorter in duration than the other positions. So backs taken in R1 have a three year deal with the fourth year option. Same shortening of the deals for all the subsequent rounds. That'll get them to free agency sooner. 

This is the solution I landed upon as well. RB is inherently a position that wears down the body more than others. Shortening those rookie deal years would be an acknowledgement of that without artificially boosting the market. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

My problem was the players who thought they knew better.  That it wasn't just how they thought about it but that they were right and everyone else was wrong. And of course Aaron Rogers who purposefully mislead people.

• Like 8
46 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

This is the solution I landed upon as well. RB is inherently a position that wears down the body more than others. Shortening those rookie deal years would be an acknowledgement of that without artificially boosting the market. 

54 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I don't know what the answer is to this, clubs aren't going to want to pay more to rookie RB's who are unproven.  Yet, the grizzled vets become markedly less productive/more injury prone as they push 30.   As usual, the owners have the upper hand.

So thinking more about just changing the length of the rookie deals, it would need to be something both the NFLPA and the owners agree would be okay. 

It wouldn't change the amount of total money spent each year, so the owners would continue to hold the upper hand in that respect. It would add a layer of complexity to the rookie salary scale and keeping track of things, but the NFL has never passed up an opportunity to add a layer of complexity. 

It's up to the players to figure out if it benefits them. Shortening JUST the RB rookie deals should increase the money teams are willing to allocate to the very young veterans. This plan would make a second round draft pick free (or tagged) year 4. If a kid comes out as a junior, he'd be 24 hitting his fourth year. 

What's the downside for the players? Less guaranteed money for rookie RBs? Potential for more RBs out of jobs after only three years, but that's happening at a pretty high rate anyway. A small amount of salary cap money being shifted away from all of the other positions to fund the RBs. None of these things seem like a reason not to push for it.

• Like 1

I'm listening to ESPN's Chiefs reporter on the radio right now. Here's the quote on Kadarius Toney: 

He got hurt running a kick back. So practice hasn't even started, and he's already hurt!

• Mind Blown 1
26 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I'm listening to ESPN's Chiefs reporter on the radio right now. Here's the quote on Kadarius Toney: 

He got hurt running a kick back. So practice hasn't even started, and he's already hurt!

Then there's the guy who wrecked his knee in a jet ski accident. Out for the year. 

• Like 1

I totally forgot to talk about the running back situation from a week ago.  I had a joke related or unrelated to setup the story (a joke I also forgot about in terms of its substance).

I do feel bad for the running backs; they are actually getting passed over in terms of income.  As mentioned, they are not as dominant in their mid-to-late 20s.  Like everyone else, they have to start with their rookie contract, but their team owners skip over that next level, second big contract and go vet minimum.  

For what it's worth, I have to side with the NFL here.  You can't hinder your team paying your RB.  On the other hand, it helps if both sides came to the middle on a deal & compromised.  Especially when the QB isn't very good.  IMO, something I agree with Cowherd on (I usually agree with a ton of what he says) is the error was paying Daniel Jones when technically he hasn't doing anything.  Whenever he did, it was with Barkley there.  Plus, like other businesses, things that were great in the past aren't these days.

Well see how New York does if Barkley misses time.  I think it's 50/50, but I don't think they'll be as good as last year with or without their star RB

6 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Then there's the guy who wrecked his knee in a jet ski accident. Out for the year. 

I didn’t realize that this was Hines from the Bills. Who’s going to KO return now? Blah. 

Shade on the Vikings' first round pick Addison. 140 mph is stupid and I think criminal. He apologized and the excuse floating around is a sick dog. But I don't think it would be wise to transport a sick dog at that speed. He could have easily smashed into a semi truck, I-94 is a major corridor even at 3 am.

The Hines injury is terrible.  He wasn't riding his jet ski at the moment.   He was stopped and someone slammed into him.   It's pretty bad.   Not life-threatening, but quality of life threatening.   

• Sad 5
1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Shade on the Vikings' first round pick Addison. 140 mph is stupid and I think criminal. He apologized and the excuse floating around is a sick dog. But I don't think it would be wise to transport a sick dog at that speed. He could have easily smashed into a semi truck, I-94 is a major corridor even at 3 am.

Or he could have taken the life of someone else or other people over a dog.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

140 mph is stupid and I think criminal.

The NFL puts a great deal of effort working with the new kids who just got huge amounts of money for signing their rookie deals about things to and not do.

I'd venture a guess that "Don't buy a race car, and if you do, don't drive wildly over the speed limit" is part of the orientation material. Especially since they had somebody very recently kill somebody doing that. (Although he was also drunk, just to add on to the things you shouldn't do list.)

None of those things managed to register with young Mr. Addison. The other thing that should have stopped him from buying a Lamborghini is do you really want to show up in the players parking lot in that car before you've ever played a down in the NFL. The veterans are not going to be impressed.

17 hours ago, Carey said:

Well see how New York does if Barkley misses time.  I think it's 50/50, but I don't think they'll be as good as last year with or without their star RB

The Giants added on some incentives to this year's deal, and he signed and will be in camp.

As for the prediction that they won't be as good this year, I expect to see that A LOT during 2023 Record Predicting Season. 

Good chalkboard material for the Giants. Pretty much everything that made them a seven loss team last year (starting with the outstanding coaching staff) is still in place this year, and they upgraded talent in several areas while only going backwards at strong safety.  I'm having a difficult time not being optimistic right now, regardless of the 7-10 and 6-11 predictions I'm already seeing.

It is a one-year deal for Saquon, but the good news here is that he'll be present this year.  So that's great.  Much better situation as opposed to Vegas.

Brian Daboll joining the Giants was huge in 2022, and it will be a big deal this coming year.  However, one of the things that might hinder them this year is that their schedule is a lot tougher this year.

Well, not a lot tougher, but still, having just checked again, they'll have several tough opponents, including the AFC East and a road appearance at Levi Stadium.  No easy Vikings this time around.

However, the good news is that the teams that are on their schedule might not be as great as advertised.  That's how things usually play out.

Speaking of Minnesota...

None of those things managed to register with young Mr. Addison. The other thing that should have stopped him from buying a Lamborghini is do you really want to show up in the players parking lot in that car before you've ever played a down in the NFL. The veterans are not going to be impressed.

My issue here is that this could be the start of a pattern.  I don't know what the league can do, but it would help if they did something since some of his recent decision making so early on has been at best, pretty awful.

Sure he apologized and said it was a mistake, but what happens going forward will dictate this kid's story.  I probably would have left out that nonsense of rushing your pet to the vet or hospital.  Of course you're supposed to care for loved ones, but the laws of a state or land aren't altered for Jordan Addison.  Not even legal Emergency vehicles travel that fast.  There was another way, I believe, but 140 MPH is not the answer.  Fortunately no one was hurt or killed, especially Jordan himself.  BTW, that luxury car isn't going to help him with his second contract if and when that period arrives.

Unfortunately, sucks for Hines and Buffalo.  Even though there is defense for him "having fun" it's not wrong, IMO, to think that there are other ways to have fun.  You gotta do the best you can to avoid tragedy.  It's one's right, but everything has consequences and the future is never guaranteed.  Just do the best to control one's own destiny

The safest bet is that the NFL's final four teams will exclude the Cowboys, but to help create yet another prediction go wrong, this signing helps Dallas do just that.

One more thing about Addison, in terms of gameplay, he'll be a good asset for a Minnesota team that probably will not be great this season.  Plus, he wasn't drunk, but at the end of the day, what he did was wrong (leaving PITT for USC the way it went down wasn't against the law, but wasn't that popular or great either).  The guy isn't Jamar Chase, but he is NFL ready.

The good news for Buffalo is that the injury happened before camp, as opposed to in-season.  It's still a painful loss, and fortunately not life or career threatening (right now) but a lesson learned.  The Bills O-Line is still not good but losing a RB puts Josh at risk (based on his play)

20 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The NFL puts a great deal of effort working with the new kids who just got huge amounts of money for signing their rookie deals about things to and not do.

20 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

None of those things managed to register with young Mr. Addison.

Consdering the rules around players gambling are pretty simple -- no gambling on the NFL period and no gambling in the facility or at away games -- yet veterans have managed to be indefinitely suspended because they gambled on the NFL, Mr. Addison is not the only one its not sinking in.     At this point anyone suspended for gambling is an idiot.   You can't say you don't know the rules AND the consequences.   It's not like the suspensions have been kept secret.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Carey said:

Even though there is defense for him "having fun" it's not wrong, IMO, to think that there are other ways to have fun.  You gotta do the best you can to avoid tragedy.  It's one's right, but everything has consequences and the future is never guaranteed.  Just do the best to control one's own destiny

I remember when Big Ben was in that motorcycle accident.  He was not wearing a helmet.  It could have been a lot worse than it was. 

I understand athletes wanting to live their lives but when your livelihood depends on you staying safe I would think they might think twice before doing something that could endanger them.

And yes I see the irony of expecting football players to be careful off the field when there is the likelihood of them perhaps being hurt on the field.

• Like 1

Amy Trask likes to talk about getting calls from Al Davis whenever a player was doing something active in the off season.   Al would call her and tell her to talk to the player.   So she would call the player and say "You can't do X anymore, I can offer you some crossword puzzles."

These guys are competitive.   They play hard.  Its really hard to write a contract that covers EVERYTHING they might do that is dangerous.   Teams do their best, but at the end of the day, you want a competitor who thinks he is immortal.   That sometimes has a bad outcome.

Damn, Sean Payton didn't exactly hold back his opinion of the job the Hackett coaching staff did in Denver last year. To summarize: "Atrocious. I would imagine the Jets will also suffer if he does there what he did here."

Heh. 

22 hours ago, mojoween said:

What are the chances of the Flores lawsuit *actually* going to trial so we finally get some discovery up in here?

Heaven knows. This ESPN article is difficult to understand which things are being sent to arbitration and which things Flores can continue to push for a trial. I kind of think that both Flores and the league (and the teams like the Giants) WANT to go to trial. If I remember correctly, Giants ownership was very displeased with what Flores accused them of doing.

Burrow should be fine. Calf injuries need to be dealt with very carefully, as they can linger, but it is reported to be a strain. A grade one strain is 1-3 weeks and grade two is 3-6.  Six weeks would put him back on the field September 7th, which would still before opening weekend September 10.

Not fine would seem to be Jalen Ramsey, who is slated for meniscus surgery after hurting his knee yesterday. His time missed will be measured in months. Depending on the damage they find when they do the surgery, it could be mid-season or all the way out to December. The Dolphins did manage to draft a CB in the second round this year, so they actually have some depth to help them deal with this bad news. 

(edited)

Sean Payton is waking back his comments about the Broncos and Jets.  C’mon buddy.  It’s worse to do that, because we all know you meant what you said.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1

To be fair, Sean wasn't wrong.  I guess it's a different feeling & sorta okay to go in that direction.  For what it's worth, Payton knows he has to win (ASAP).

That being said, I think it would've been better to say nothing.  At least until they have some success.  Or better yet, win their Week 5 game.  If he had more success & accomplishments in New Orleans, then I think this would not have been an issue at all, period

• Like 1

Johnathan Taylor wants $16million a year. 

Lots of criticism of irsay over his tweets on this but this is the problem not irsay. 

No running back coming off an Injury or otherwise is getting $16 million a year on a long term deal. 

JT can play or sit. No trade because no one is paying him near that. 

• Useful 1

Irsay can miss me with his "It's a privilege to play in the NFL" comments.   

It's also a privilege to own an NFL team.   Irsay didn't even have to work hard to become a billionaire to buy a team, he inherited his team from his daddy.   He literally didn't have to do anything but be born.  Taylor has been working hard since he was kid in order to be good enough to be in the NFL.

Everyone acting like a player asking for what he thinks he is worth is a scandal (and I have my doubts about the number he asked for, lots of #s get thrown around then the truth comes out and it wasn't any of those numbers).   Average career is 3 years.   Damn right you get every damn cent you can.   If DeShaun Watson -- a KNOWN SEXUAL PREDATOR who will likely re-offend and get kicked out of the League -- got guaranteed money.   Why can't Taylor get his?

I also don't blame Taylor for wanting out of Indy.   Irsay said after the RBs had a meeting, that they need to just suck it up, after all there is a CBA they agreed to.   Gee thanks owner for your attitude towards the people that allow you to exercise your privilege to be an NFL owner.   Guess what Jimmy Boy, ain't no one going to the games on Sunday to wave at you in the owner's box.   They are there to see what's on the field.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
(edited)

I’m neutral to Irsay in general.  On one hand, his acquisition of the Colts is a fact.  The guy pretty much had to exist on Planet Earth.  That’s it.  On the other hand, he’s no different than several, if not most of the owners in the NFL (and in sports).  Basically they had (to have) a family member die in order to get to their current spot.  Maybe some of them worked for real elsewhere or even did stuff within the organization that one would call work.  However, Jim’s situation isn’t unprecedented.  The fact is he looks more like a villain than many of the others for stories like this and others.

I couldn’t care less for Jim Irsay.  Though I did admire his “disdain” toward Daniel Snyder.  As for Jonathan Taylor, the Colts owner isn’t wrong.  It wasn’t put in a friendly way, but maybe it would have benefitted Taylor to stay healthy.  Plus, it would be great if Indianapolis was decent on the field.  If the asking price is $16 Million per year, then that would be absurd.  $10 Million annually is fair.  That request is reasonable.  Maybe not something that happens but I would hate to see yet another RB get skipped from the rookie contract everyone has to start with to the contract that follows the BIG MONEY one.

The game has changed, but a team like the Colts probably need Taylor more than Taylor needs the Colts.  In the short run, of course.  Kinda sucks that Jon can’t leave, and then before he’s allowed to here comes the tag.  Or when that’s not the choice, he’ll get traded to somewhere that isn’t that elite.  As mentioned, the game is different in a way that hinders running backs, but a team like Indianapolis probably might want to work something out.  The reason why is because their current QB situation is very awful.  Maybe things will change their this year, but not a great bet on if it does.

Finally, owners, media people, and whomever else can shut up about the CBA.  Of course they have to go by that until further notice, but by 2030.  What gets on my nerves is that people that were in the league are bound by it despite the fact that it went into motion before the player is drafted.  Therefore, it’s classless and dumb of people like Irsay to say that “You agreed to the CBA.  Deal with it.”  Unless Taylor was allowed to negotiate while in college or High School, he had to follow guidelines that were agreed on before he got there.  I mean, even a guy named Ryan Fitzpatrick agreed to it about a minute before he retired

Edited by Carey
Edited for tags
  • Like 2

The colts don't need JT this year. They have zero expectations of success with or without him.  They aren't going to give him a long term contract just to win say 7 games this year instead of 500.  Or 6 instead of 4.  He doesn't make them a contender.  

This isn't emmitt dmith in 93.  He doesn't make or break the team.  Plus his contract demand is ridiculous. $16 million a year is about 50% more than what they expect to pay him even on a new deal. 

Then they should trade him.  Like you said, he's not getting $16 Million in Indy or anywhere, but someone might offer a better deal than what the Colts are willing to dish out.

I might have to double-check on where he stands, but I think if he's dealt, then whoever takes him would only have to worry about one year, and then go from there.  I don't think there's any point keeping him around for any reason this year, especially if the only thing that comes out of that is a distraction.  I guess if they're slated to suck in 2023 then they'll be fine letting him whine on the bench for the season.

I'm not joking about trading him.  At least explore it.  While running backs aren't the thing anymore, see what you can get back.  The kid actually did something in 2020 & 2021 even though they weren't very good.  They were okay in the postseason against Buffalo while losing; plus he was Top 5 out of 100 in terms of best players for 2022.

To be fair, I'm not going to hold that much stock in that since it's a players thing.  However, Taylor was first team All-Pro in 2021, so the guy is not a total bum.  At the end of the day, I think we can agree that $16,000,000/year is not happening, period.  In Indianapolis or anywhere no matter how well Jon and the team has been playing

If they keep him they can franchise tag him after the season and likely get more in return based on those rules than a forced trade. 

I'm not against a trade.  If they get a Christian McCaffery type deal sure I'd do it. Then it's up to the new team to deal with the contract. 

15 hours ago, Carey said:

hen they should trade him. 

THIS.   If he's not that important to the team and you don't want to pay him, trade him.   But Irsay is all "nope, not trading because he whined about it."  

Also the team is claiming he has a "pre-existing back injury" that somehow no one mentioned UNTIL he said trade me or pay me.   Funny how that works isn't it?

The Colts have a history of being terrible with players.   Manning has a standing offer of a front office job with the Colts, he has never gone back to Indy.   He chooses to stay in Denver and be associated with the Broncos where he spent less time.   Andrew Luck has pretty much disappeared off the face of the planet.  

Franchise tagging a player is just a way to avoid the player from testing the free market.   Hahahahaha, we are going to keep you playing for us no matter what, until you are too used up to go elsewhere.   Yeah the players agreed to the tag, but that was the only way they could get free agency -- even though a judge ruled alllllllll the way back in 1975 that the NFL had to let players go to free agency when their contracts were up.   The franchise tag is just an extension of what was in place at that time, a team unilaterally deciding to extend a player's contract albeit now there was some financial gain for the player.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

THIS.   If he's not that important to the team and you don't want to pay him, trade him.   But Irsay is all "nope, not trading because he whined about it."  

Also the team is claiming he has a "pre-existing back injury" that somehow no one mentioned UNTIL he said trade me or pay me.   Funny how that works isn't it?

The Colts have a history of being terrible with players.   Manning has a standing offer of a front office job with the Colts, he has never gone back to Indy.   He chooses to stay in Denver and be associated with the Broncos where he spent less time.   Andrew Luck has pretty much disappeared off the face of the planet.  

Franchise tagging a player is just a way to avoid the player from testing the free market.   Hahahahaha, we are going to keep you playing for us no matter what, until you are too used up to go elsewhere.   Yeah the players agreed to the tag, but that was the only way they could get free agency -- even though a judge ruled alllllllll the way back in 1975 that the NFL had to let players go to free agency when their contracts were up.   The franchise tag is just an extension of what was in place at that time, a team unilaterally deciding to extend a player's contract albeit now there was some financial gain for the player.  

Manning is in Denver because it's the last place he played.  And Manning has repeatedly said he is not interested in any front office positions anywhere. 

JT suddenly at training camp was claiming an 'injury' and refusing to perform.   How is that different than the colts using his back injury?  

The franchise tag was negotiated in the cba.  

The colts aren't just going to give away a top player in a trade.  And the way he is going about it is ruining his trade value .  His whining and wanting a huge contract extension limits what teams will trade and what they will offer. 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The colts aren't just going to give away a top player in a trade.

So if he is a top  player PAY HIM.   Either he is a top player and deserves to be paid, or he is not.   The Colts can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

Taylor is in the final year of his 4 year rookie deal. He'll earn $4.3M this year on that deal. He was a R2 pick, so the Colts can't keep him for the 5th year. He'll be subjected to the tag for 2024 and 2025, which is likely to be at or below the $10M it is this year. He was terrific in 2021 and was very good when healthy in 2022, but he had a lot of ankle problems and missed significant time.

Taylor is correct, in that at the age of 24 and in the last year of his rookie deal, NOW is the best time to attempt to force the team to give him a contract extension rather than just using the tag as a hammer on him next year. 

Meaning, he is dead smack in the middle of the part of a RB's career when he would expected to be the most productive. And, despite the fact that the Colts aren't looking like a playoff contender this year, Taylor's skills would go a LONG way towards helping the rookie QB have a productive first year. 

So I think he's doing the right thing. NFL players have very little leverage to work around the CBA contract rules. They have to get as much guaranteed money as they can when it comes to getting new contracts. Taylor is in the position where maybe his threats to hold out/in would cause enough pain to what the team wants to do this year where the Colts could see reason to give up their right to tag him the next couple years and give him an extension.

But the most Taylor should hope to get is a little bit more than what the tags would get him. He's not important enough to the team to expect more than that. Unfortunately, even really good young running backs can be replaced far more easily (meaning less impactfully) than almost any other position.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

So if he is a top  player PAY HIM.   Either he is a top player and deserves to be paid, or he is not.   The Colts can't have it both ways.

They can if he wants more than the market dictates, which he does, and he is not a free agent,  which he isn't. 

They are not in any way forced to trade him or pay him more this season just because he demands it. 

20 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

They are not in any way forced to trade him or pay him more this season just because he demands it. 

The only thing that could "force" the Colts to guarantee Taylor more money than what he is due this year and the estimate of what a tagged running back would get the next two years, would be Taylor not showing up to work in 2023. If the Colts think that could cause enough harm to the team that it'll be worth it to give him some sort of extension that will get him back to work, then they would have effectively been forced to pay him.

Honestly, it sounds like the owner has already made this personal, so I don't even know why I'm bothering to work though any logical solutions in my head. Logic has left the building in Indianapolis (and I'm not sure how much there was in the first place, based on what he did with the coaching last year.)

Logic has left the building in Indianapolis (and I'm not sure how much there was in the first place, based on what he did with the coaching last year.)

Logic left the building around New Years 2012

• Like 1
8 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The only thing that could "force" the Colts to guarantee Taylor more money than what he is due this year and the estimate of what a tagged running back would get the next two years, would be Taylor not showing up to work in 2023. If the Colts think that could cause enough harm to the team that it'll be worth it to give him some sort of extension that will get him back to work, then they would have effectively been forced to pay him.

Honestly, it sounds like the owner has already made this personal, so I don't even know why I'm bothering to work though any logical solutions in my head. Logic has left the building in Indianapolis (and I'm not sure how much there was in the first place, based on what he did with the coaching last year.)

The logic is no rb coming off an injury is worth a 16-20 million extension, which are the reports of what he is asking

It's just like the opposite. It's not personal at all. It's business. 

• Like 3