Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

The latest issue of the Green Arrow comics is so much better than Arrow 2.5. The artwork isn't amazing but it is way better than anything from Arrow 2.5 so I really don't have many complaints on that front (aside from the occasional smooshed-looking faces).

And maybe I'm easily amused but I found GA #36 to be very engaging. So, GA-Felicity has a crush on Cyborg? Nice. Green Arrow and Diggle just casually walking around Star City and no one bats an eye? Hee. All the trick arrows on the bridge? Very cool in the comics but, hopefully, not done as much on the tv version. I'm intrigued about Mia, Mr. King, and the tentative partnership of Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle. GA-Felicity seems to still be the character I love but with a different, more self-assured edge to her. I loved the Diggle/Oliver/Felicity banter so much, though. But that might also have to do with the fact that we are experiencing a sad dearth of OG!Team Arrow dynamics on the show these past few episodes. I'm just really digging this comic series a lot.

Question to those more knowledgeable about the GA series, who was the big bad archer with the quarter-burned face using black arrows at the end of the issue? I can't really tell which character it's supposed to be since I haven't really been following DC Comics until this year. Was that Komodo? Or Dark Archer? I thought Arthur King was the Dark Archer? So, are Mr. King, Arthur King, Merlyn, Dark Archer all the same person or did they separate them into a Mr. King/Arthur King (who's running for Mayor and looking for Mia) and Merlyn/Dark Archer (who's been contracted to kill Oliver, Mia, and Felicity)?

Edited by SleepDeprived

I am really intrigued by that tidbit I saw with OG Team Arrow. I really like this Felicity who is unafraid of saying she's the best there is (not unlike Felicity in season 1 who said she's better than the NSA). To be fair, Oliver Diggle and Felicity are just lightning in a bottle. It seems they even have chemistry in comic form. The writers really struck gold when they decided to incorporate her into the official vigilante team. I would totally buy this comic, graphics notwithstanding.

• Love 1

Andrew Kreisberg said this about Felicity Smoak in the Green Arrow comics:

I think that the Felicity that we meet, just like Oliver, is a little bit more in touch with her feelings. She's not quite so shy. She doesn't get quite as mentally flustered as she does, especially around Oliver. But I think the affection that they have for each other, and the banter that they get into on the TV show when the TV show is really clicking, is something that you'll see in the comic books.

If you're a fan of Felicity, she's in there. We sort of said, it's like Felicity a few years on. Just in the same way that Felicity in Season Three of "Arrow" is not quite the same Felicity you saw, imagine her in a few more years when she's got a little more experience under her belt. We're excited about it.

Liked this nod to Team Arrow:

Emily Bett Rickards [has] entirely given [Felicity] life. We've always sort of joked how great it would be if she suddenly found her way into the comics. Her and Dig, because we're so proud of those characters, and they feel like such a great extension of Oliver Queen, that they've gone back into the comics, and if they become mainstays -- I think the proudest thing we would feel is if the next artists of writers who pick up the book say, "You know what, 'Green Arrow' really feels right if John Diggle is his bodyguard, and Felicity Smoak is his right-hand woman."

Which only leaves me more baffled why they don't use Team Arrow better in the show, but that's for another thread.

Edited by Soulfire
  • Love 2

I really think they have a plan for Team Arrow, one that we don't necessarily agree with, but a plan nonetheless. Seeing TA in the Green Arrow comics makes my heart feel warm. I really can't wait until people can't think of Oliver Queen without Felicity Smoak and John Diggle.

...might erase some of the bad taste between BC and GA.

• Love 4

Question to those more knowledgeable about the GA series, who was the big bad archer with the quarter-burned face using black arrows at the end of the issue? I can't really tell which character it's supposed to be since I haven't really been following DC Comics until this year. Was that Komodo? Or Dark Archer? I thought Arthur King was the Dark Archer? So, are Mr. King, Arthur King, Merlyn, Dark Archer all the same person or did they separate them into a Mr. King/Arthur King (who's running for Mayor and looking for Mia) and Merlyn/Dark Archer (who's been contracted to kill Oliver, Mia, and Felicity)?

I think it's 

Tommy. In the earlier run of the comics Oliver thinks he's dead but he was saved. When they revealed him, he was barely alive, and he was badly burned.

It was a really good issue.

• Love 1

Tommy was on the Oil Rig that blew up and landed Oliver on the Island.  In GA #0 or GA#1, Tommy is in a Coma and wakes up, he's only known to the hospital as a John Doe (I think they call him the mystery patient or something like that).  So, it's most likely Tommy Merlyn, being revealed as Arthur King AKA Merlyn AKA The Dark Archer.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

So seems Green Arrow #36 claimed to the 6th position on Itunes charts today. Any idea if its good?

No idea but it sounds good.

The comic was pretty good, they're still tying up loose ends, writing off Fyff/Naomi, introducing Felicity and hooking Team Arrow up pretty fast. I did like the Team Arrow stuff it's a little odd because of the different universes; GA/Diggle walking around together, no questions,  no hiding Dig's face.

So King, from last issue wasn't Merlyn, he shows up at the end of this issue.  One minor nitpick, Jeff Lemire introduced William Tockman/Clock King as a heavyset black man who ran an organized crime family. In one very brief clip of a memory/vision they just erased that and went back to the skinny white version. It's a little annoying,  I can see this being a problem for existing readers just because it's so many changes so quickly. 

Of course that could have just been a mistake by the artist, they got Richard Dragon and Zytle perfect...almost as if they used Sorentino's artwork. 

Edited by Morrigan2575

She definitely looks better in that panel. I still hate how they draw her ponytail, I know it's nit-picky, but I can't help it. She just looks so 70's to me... but yeah, that art is an improvement. 

Sorry if this is off topic, but the way bras work isn't 'DD is huge and everything below that is normal'. In fact, cup sizes aren't static, so a 28DD has the same amount of volume as 30D, 32C, 34B 36A etc. Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

But I do agree that they seem to have no sense of size when drawing any woman's breasts in comics. It's actually quite ridiculous, and if any of these women were real they'd be suffering chronic back pain. 

• Love 1

Sorry if this is off topic, but the way bras work isn't 'DD is huge and everything below that is normal'. In fact, cup sizes aren't static, so a 28DD has the same amount of volume as 30D, 32C, 34B 36A etc. Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

But I do agree that they seem to have no sense of size when drawing any woman's breasts in comics. It's actually quite ridiculous, and if any of these women were real they'd be suffering chronic back pain. 

but, and maybe i'm wrong (I always get measured when i shop for a bra so I never went too deep into the cup/# knowledge) I remember that the cup size refer to size (or volume) of the breast while the number for the ribcage size. so how could different cups be of the same volume? why can't it just be simple? I'm so confused now, you're breaking bra myths for me and... it's the weekend, so not the time. :-P

but, and maybe i'm wrong (I always get measured when i shop for a bra so I never went too deep into the cup/# knowledge) I remember that the cup size refer to size (or volume) of the breast while the number for the ribcage size. so how could different cups be of the same volume? why can't it just be simple? I'm so confused now, you're breaking bra myths for me and... it's the weekend, so not the time. :-P

If you'd like me to continue breaking bra myths, you should check your inbox :D

• Love 1

I enjoyed the 2.5 comic this week. Mainly because there was a lot of Diggle and I feel like he's slowly being ousted on the show so I'll take some Diggle wherever I can get it. 

Also, regarding the ending, I wonder if Helena will now appear in s3 and Oliver will just say she escaped four months ago or something to cover the questions of 'how the hell did she get out of prison?!' that non-comic readers will inevitably ask. 

This is my biweekly comment about the 2.5 comics. Again, I really enjoyed this instalment even though there was no Digg or Felicity. We were all wondering how Helena got out of prison and it turns out it's just an hallucination. So 301 wasn't the first time Oliver was injected with the new Vertigo by the new Count.

I actually think it would have been really cool to see this instalment on screen - with Helena, Moira, Robert, Tommy and Sara all fighting him. The visual would be amazing. Le sigh. 

Edited by Guest

Uh, is that supposed to be Felicity in the Lantern ring net next to Oliver? Her dialogue seems like a Felicity line.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at her very male-gazey-friendly appearance/posing there. I should've known Felicity's GA comic incarnation would, likely, tend toward the overly sexified depictions of females in comics the moment they changed her black tights to a mini skirt in the GA #36 cover. I'll just have to get used to it, I guess, since I do like the banter and am intrigued by the story that AK and Sokolowski are doing in their run so far.

• Love 1

Seeing Sara's costume in comic form does look more like BC's trademark fishnets upgraded to pants. Laurel's looks like she tied a bunch of belts around herself for no reason. Why would they want to keep showing us how much more BC like Sara was when they are trying to push Laurel as the new (downgraded) version? 

Edited by Sakura12

I liked this issue of GA (#37), short but good. Some backstory on Mia, progress on the villain (king) and the reveal that Merlyn knew Oliver...seems to confirm Tommy being The Dark Archer...especially with the burnt face (Tommy was in the oil rig explosion that put Oliver on the Island).

The big question mark for me is Zahara, she was created by AJK & Ben S... she wasn't part of Lemire's run. I can only assume that this character exists as Oliver's girlfriend to stall any potential Olicity development or calls for Olicity to happen in the comics universe.

• Love 1

I liked this issue of GA (#37), short but good. Some backstory on Mia, progress on the villain (king) and the reveal that Merlyn knew Oliver...seems to confirm Tommy being The Dark Archer...especially with the burnt face (Tommy was in the oil rig explosion that put Oliver on the Island).

The big question mark for me is Zahara, she was created by AJK & Ben S... she wasn't part of Lemire's run. I can only assume that this character exists as Oliver's girlfriend to stall any potential Olicity development or calls for Olicity to happen in the comics universe.

or that she work under cover for someone to spy on Oliver.

Based on?

Based on the way things are written in general in soap operas (which that's what comic books basically are)- I had my short stint in Soapy land when i was younger.

But if you want a proper answer: the readers know nothing about her, true they also know nothing about comic Felicity but she already slipped into some sort of a role. The writers are stalling on providing more info on this girlfriend (from what i've seen online - i haven't really read the comics) so that tells me she's gonna end up one of two things: dead, or affiliated with the evil guy. because that's how it always goes down.

They provided information on Zehara. Oliver has apparently been dating her since they kissed in Paris (whenever that happened). Zehara is in charge of Oliver's business interests, Diggle knows her just didn't know Oliver was romantically involved with her. She also had a scene with Mia where she acted as caretaker while Team Green Arrow was on the job. This scene was busted up by King's people after King activated all of his subjects and Zehara wasn't one.

They've provided more information about Zehara then Felicity.

I'm starting to legit hate the 2.5 comics for taunting us with the season that could have been. 'Cause that? Is my idea of a super great scene.

I'm really tempted to cancel.my.subscription over this Sara stuff it's just total BS. Kind of hate them for killing her off and then putting her in the in between comics.
  • Love 5

The 2.5 comics this week was great but it really made me miss Sara. I really didn't like how heavy handed it was though, when Sara was talking about Blood and asking whether he was dead and then said 'because when they're gone, they're gone.' Like just stab us instead. We get it. Sara's dead forever. Ouch.

Also I don't know how Felicity feels safe in her home after she came home to find Blood's henchmen just sitting there waiting for her. 

Count me in as annoyed because this would be great on screen. 

As someone who never read the comics, I found this article on the Lazarus Pit informative.  But I'll leave it to the comics experts to point out any errors.  (It's only spoilery if you haven't watched "The Climb" yet.)

Arrow SPOILERS Here! Everything you need to know about the Lazarus Pit!
by Rose Moore ⋅ Posted on December 11th, 2014 at 9:56pm

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/12/12/arrow-spoilers-here-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-lazarus-pit-2501848?lt_source=external,manual

Green Arrow #40 description and cover:

GREEN ARROW #40
Written by ANDREW KREISBERG and BEN SOKOLOWSKI
Art by DANIEL SAMPERE and JONATHAN GLAPION
Cover by BRYAN HITCH
On sale MARCH 4 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
A villain triumphant! A city out for blood! Can things get any worse for Green Arrow? You bet they can! Guest-starring Batman!

GreenArrow40_solicit.jpg?1418673162

From http://www.newsarama.com/23006-dc-comics-march-2015-solicits-the-new-52-part-3-justice-leagues-3-more-ongoing-cancellations.html

• Love 1

Maybe Isabel was reading the comics. Felicity's skirt is pretty...um...short here. I haven't read any DC since Nightwing ended. Is Lex a good guy now?

Didn't he save Dick's life in the Nightwing comics...part of the finale, something about a bomb attached to Dick's heart and Lex stops Dick's heart in order to prevent the explosion?

Yes, Lex is a good guy now..or mostly good.  At least as far as his introduction in GA #35.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Didn't he save Dick's life in the Nightwing comics...part of the finale, something about a bomb attached to Dick's heart and Lex stops Dick's heart in order to prevent the explosion?

Yes, Lex is a good guy now..or mostly good.  At least as far as his introduction in GA #35.

Not in Nightwing proper, but I think there was some big event happening around that time. Makes sense. 

I haven't been reading the comics, so I thought this was interesting...

Green Arrow #37
By Rob Bonnette
.... Back at their headquarters, Mia fills Oliver and the crew in on who the King is (her Dad) and why she’s on the run from him and his henchmen.  Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity go undercover to a charity fundraiser King is throwing to see what else they can find out. As you would expect things don’t go according to plan and the trio ends the issue getting tossed out of a window. This was another solid issue from the new team. The transformation to appear more like the Arrow television show appears near completion as the team of Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity is firmly entrenched and we’re going to some involvement from Katana (and probably the Outsiders) in later issues of this arc. With Merlyn back in the mix as well, the TV gang is almost all there.

411mania’s Comic Review Roundtable: Spider-Man & The X-Men, Green Arrow
December 18, 2014 | Posted by Steve Gustafson
http://411mania.com/movies/411manias-comic-review-roundtable-spider-man-the-x-men-green-arrow/

This is also an interesting read...
Why Diggle Instead of Dale Gunn?
By Hervé St-Louis  Dec 17, 2014 - 17:27
http://www.comicbookbin.com/DiggleDaleGunn001.html

Edited by tv echo

I don't even read the comics, but making the comic characters/world more like the TV characters/world seems like a bad idea. I mean, Arrow is clearly doing it's own thing in its TV universe. So why would they want the source material to follow the adaption? (Yeah, I realize they share writers now.) Not to say that ideas from one medium should never influence the other.

So why would they want the source material to follow the adaption?

The first thing to know is this is pretty common.  TV and movies and even animated stuff does end up influencing the comics.  I've seen it with Lois & Clark The New Adventures of Superman where they tried to time Lois and Clark getting married in the comics with the show.  I also saw it during the Smallville days where Jonathan Kent started to look like John Schnieder. Green Arrow when it was rebooted was a dead ringer for Justin Hartley (Smallville's Green Arrow)  something only recently changing so now he is more resembling Arrow. 

The explanation I've heard over and over is more people watch TV or go see the movies than read the comics so they want to give those eyeballs something familiar when hopefully they check out the comics.  I also think sometimes other media's just plain stumble onto things that work and the writers of the comics WANT to include, like Harley Quinn from the Batman the Animated series or Jimmy Olsen (and I think Lex Luthor) from the radio show. 

Arrow got Diggle, that voice of experience that I don't think Arrow has had before.  I think Felicity showed up, yes for the fans who like Olicity in the show but also because she's a fun voice to write in and a strong character.  (I am kind iffy on why they made her a former assassin -maybe a nod to Sara?)  Once they pulled off introducing Diggle and Felicity Smoak I get my favorite aspect of Arrow, the lovely team-y-ness of the core three, ;cause I don't love Oliver all by himself.  I don't mean that I think he is lonely, I mean that I'm not attached to an Oliver that isn't attached to his partners.   

And their plan to more align the comics with the show worked at least on me, I've never read any comics regularly before and now I am waiting with anticipation each month. 

• Love 6

Released on Dec. 22...

PREVIEW: ARROW 2.5 #9
Oliver has a horrifying vision of the future as recovers from his first taste of Vertigo. Meanwhile, Felicity falls into the hands of Brother Blood!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=25216

Available on Dec. 29...

The Flash: Season Zero (2014-) #9
It's just another day in Central City as The Flash battles The Hydro Hunter, a metahuman made entirely of water! "Smoak Signals," a special two-part adventure starring Arrow's Felicity Smoak starts here!

https://www.comixology.com/The-Flash-Season-Zero-2014-9/digital-comic/174138

Andrew Kreisberg retweeted
Emily Bett Source ‏@EmilyBettSource  Dec 22
Guess who will be on Chapter 9 of #TheFlash: Season Zero?! It comes out on December 29! @EmilyBett

https://twitter.com/AJKreisberg

Edited by tv echo