Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: False Prophets

I really didn't give a damn about all the talk about the railway.  I realize that the show is called "Hell on Wheels" but I was bored.

The Swede goes after the Hatch family, with Cullen chasing him.  Yawn.  Brigham Young gets stabbed by doofus son.  Yawn.

Too bad for the prostitute, she pushed Eva too far.  Eva is one stone cold bitch though.  I think Mickey might kill her if Dead Rabbit guy doesn't get to her first.

So, seven more episodes of this torture and then it's finally over. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

The railroad talk was interesting only in that it was kind of fun watching all the players taking measure of one another as they tried to out bullshit each other. True to form, Cullen wouldn't play ball with any of them and left them all hanging.

I still have no idea what the Swede's long game with the Mormons was supposed to be and don't care. I'm bored that the yearlong cliffhanger is a race to snitty Mormon wife but was mildly amused by the Swede's quietly hasty retreat once the blood started flying.

Eva seems to be whoever the show needs her to be in any given season. This season it's an unsympathetic hardass.

• Love 2

I was mildly amused when the Swede hightailed it out of there on the horse.   At least he said goodbye to the dog.  

As far as the last episodes, I'm assuming (hoping) they'll go back to Psalms & Co. and perhaps Stagecoach Mary in at least one episode.

• Love 1

The railroad talk was interesting only in that it was kind of fun watching all the players taking measure of one another as they tried to out bullshit each other. True to form, Cullen wouldn't play ball with any of them and left them all hanging.

I still have no idea what the Swede's long game with the Mormons was supposed to be and don't care. I'm bored that the yearlong cliffhanger is a race to snitty Mormon wife but was mildly amused by the Swede's quietly hasty retreat once the blood started flying.

Eva seems to be whoever the show needs her to be in any given season. This season it's an unsympathetic hardass.

I agree that the writing for Eva has been somewhat uneven, but I still find her sympathetic. She did not have a lot of options especially with the face tat, and that scarred her both inside and out. I do agree, though, that frontier madam is kind of a lazy choice for the writers to have made, especially when Eva had shown some aptitude for medicine in previous seasons, and in this one, with Louise.

The Swede is even more of a cartoon villain as we head toward the finale! I will laugh my head off if the final scene of the series is Cullen driving a train right into the Swede, fading out on his "Oh, SH*T!" face!

• Love 4

I pretty much ignored the entire finale although I was sitting 5 ft. from the TV.  It was so boring I couldn't even invest a little bit in it.  I just didn't care.  I DVR'ed the last episode for good measure (in case I wanted to re watch it)  but just deleted the whole thing right after the episode ended.  No thanks.  This has to be one of the most anti-climactic finale shows in the history of TV.  What did I just watch? 

I didn't think Eva was unsympathetic. She's just trying to survive, and this is the hand she was dealt. I thought the gun belt was overly dramatic. I did like "we need a new redhead."

The rest of it was silly. They can argue all they want about the final meeting point, but history already tells us it was Promontory.

Brigham Young rising from the dead was a bit much.

• Love 1

Hopefully there is more of Meis storyline yet to come. It may however take a bit of a backseat now that Cullen appears to have found his family. Her future is uncertain at best now that she is alone. Not anticipating a happy ending where she is concerned.

Edited by JWalker

Well, maybe if we're lucky, the Swede will kill the Snitty Mormon Wife, so Cullen and Mei can raise the baby together. 

The only thing I'm remotely interested in is how the Swede dies. It better be good. 

• Love 1

I didn't realize it was the mid season finale...for some reason I thought there were 8 episodes!

Eva got even harder after Elam died. I think she has endured so much that she has hardened her heart. I did love her deciding to take out the stealing whore. Gonna need a new redhead all right!

I still love the show, and I was one of the ones who was never going to watch again after Lily died. I am surprised that many of you are considering watching torture or boring...why would you want to continue watching? Just curious.

Once I'm invested in a show, I like to watch to the bitter end. The fact that I remember to watch every week tells me I'm invested (you'd be surprised how many shows I forget are even on). 

• Love 1

She's just trying to survive, and this is the hand she was dealt. I

Speaking of...didn't she develop into a gambling pro last season? What became of that? Why is her future so uncertain if she can win at cards ?(as unlikely as it is that she was able to become such a pro in such a short time).

How dumb is that prostitute? Isn't the money usually down her cleavage, in her boot, or hidden in the bed? Dude, go outside and bury it somewhere.

I had a brief thought about googling how Brigham Young really died after his son stabbed him. But ...naturally he can survive multiple stab wounds (to the abdomen! with the knife twisted in there for effect!) and is in such good shape that he can wrestle and overpower his son. Sure. Whatever. 

So glad the Swede didn't snap the dog's neck before he left. Would be totally in character for him.

Fingers crossed for resolution to the Swede's storyline next week. It's past time, really. 

• Love 1

Somehow, I don't think Cullen will be the one to resolve the Swede's storyline. The Swede will probably die accidentally, if at all. The snippets in the preview made it look like Cullen rides in to rescue Mormon wife from the Swede. If this whole series is supposed to be the story of Cullen's redemption, I can think of other actors who have more charisma to make it work. Anson is very handsome, but this type of story has already been told with Clint Eastwood and Willie Nelson and countless others. I'm not sure I care what happens to Cullen.

You could be right about Cullen. The character has become quite "passive" I think the last few seasons. The writers had Ruth take out Snow so Cullen wouldn't have to dirty his hands anymore. He virtually stood by and watched as Meis father was shot down in cold blood.

If he survives Id like for him to some happiness and peace. I just don't think hell find it with the Mormons at least not from what Ive seen so far.

Edited by JWalker

That dog was way too good for the Swede. I felt sorry for him having to watch his owner ride off and leave him but in the long run he'll be better off.

I actually quite enjoyed parts of the episode. I still find the relationship between Cullen and Durant interesting. I was glad that the Swede's plan failed and I quite enjoyed the red-headed prostitute being shot.

I thought that Eva had used her previous gambling winnings to buy a share in Mickey's brothel. Why then was he talking of firing her and having her go back to work as a prostitute?

Things I didn't like about the episode included how easily Brigham Young recovered from multiple stab wounds to overpower his young son, the fact that the Swede is still not read and the reappearance of Mormon wife. The scenes from the second half of the season did not look promising. Cullen faces off with the Swede yet again in an attempt to save Mormon wife! I don't want the Swede to kill another of Cullen's women and win but if she were to die of an old timey disease that would be good.

I don't know if Cullen will get a happy ending. So far they've portrayed him as rather a tragic figure. Those dreams of his with the house by the sea and the wife and child...I figure if it happens in the finale, it's only because he's hallucinating as he lays dying. But I'm cynical like that. 

A lot of people will be ticked off I think if they kill off Cullen. I can hear the rants already if that comes to pass. Assuming Cullen survives and his Mormon family remains intact I suspect he will end of with them out of honor, obligation. As far as Mei is concerned her future remains uncertain at best I think. It remains to be seen if she even survives. The writers have gone out of their way to eliminate(kill) those who have gotten to close to Cullen for whatever reason including those characters who left the show by choice (Lily, Elam ). Of course there is one exception to all this so far. The Swede.

I really didn't give a damn about all the talk about the railway.  I realize that the show is called "Hell on Wheels" but I was bored.

I actually found that one of two glimpses of the old HoW that I once liked. The fact that all the players knew each other, and were building off past events, made it even better.

The other glimpse of the old HoW was the failed plot by the Swede to have Phineas take over the church with the Swede in a trusted position of power. It kind of came out of nowhere, that the Swede wanted to be a Morman general, but eh. Still, seeing it fall apart and the Swede give a look of "Oh shit" and ride off was worth a chuckle.

Of course, being the Swede, he rode off to immediately do more harm.

• Love 4

I actually quite enjoyed parts of the episode. I still find the relationship between Cullen and Durant interesting. 

I wasn't nuts about this episode -- it felt to me like the meeting came out of nowhere, with not enough clarification of each player's agenda beforehand -- but I did see a brief flash of the old HoW I loved in the scene between these two outside of Durant's tent. I got all sentimental when Bohannon asked him if he was sorry he hired him instead of hanging him. *sniff* *sniff* 

I still think the end game is Bohannon with Mei and Mormon baby, but I'd actually prefer an ending where he just rides off alone to some new adventure after the last spike goes in (both into the railroad and into the Swede in some fashion). That feels more in character to me, because I've always liked brooding, unsettled, unpredictable Cullen much more than passive, family-man Cullen.

At some point, I think even a ramblin' man wants to settle down.  I hope that happens with Cullen and Mei and the baby.  Although I'm reminded of  "Jeremiah Johnson" when Jeremiah (Robert Redford) finally gets a measure of happiness with his little family of Indian wife and the orphaned kid--and then his family is killed. *sigh*'

So, even though I want this for Cullen, it will come as no surprise at all to me if it doesn't happen.

There haven't been to many happy moments on this show that I can recall. The way the writers like to kill off characters Im hesitant to speculate. Cullen has been painted such a tragic figure. Hes having a lot of trouble it seems hanging onto a family. That Cullen/Naomi storyline needs to be resolved one way or another.

Have no idea where they are going with Meis storyline. I do get the sense though there is more of her storyline to come.

I have downloaded the 4th season of HoW and i'm almost done with it. I cant wait to see how the fifth season turns out to be. As the seasons went on i got more excited to watch the show. If anyone has watched the fifth season, can you'll give me a heads up about it? thank you

That dog was way too good for the Swede. I felt sorry for him having to watch his owner ride off and leave him but in the long run he'll be better off.

Things I didn't like about the episode included how easily Brigham Young recovered from multiple stab wounds to overpower his young son, the fact that the Swede is still not read and the reappearance of Mormon wife. The scenes from the second half of the season did not look promising. Cullen faces off with the Swede yet again in an attempt to save Mormon wife! I don't want the Swede to kill another of Cullen's women and win but if she were to die of an old timey disease that would be good.

If that dog went with him we may have had a lesson in immoral mathematics. I guess TPTB weren't willing to go that far. 

Looking at the next season previews I thought this was it one more episode for the Swede versus Cullen show down. There have been shows with the big bad killed off earlier then expected. 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 just did it with Wo Fat last year

I have downloaded the 4th season of HoW and i'm almost done with it. I cant wait to see how the fifth season turns out to be. As the seasons went on i got more excited to watch the show. If anyone has watched the fifth season, can you'll give me a heads up about it? thank you

I think the forth season was the low point of the series

• Love 1

I was reading this this forum for this episode and it made me realize something...although I had DVR'd this and I thought watched it, I never finished it! The last thing I remember seeing was Grant asking Cullen if he wanted a race to finish the railroad. Never saw the attempted murder of Young and his (temporary?) resurrection . Never saw the Swede take off, or Cullen tearing off after him. I guess since I've been watching this whole season with only one eye and one ear, so I assumed the train race convo was the no-hum ending to a hum drum half-assed season.

I just went On Demand and caught the parts I never saw. Obviously my interest in this has dried up. Any other show I'd been invested in, I would have recognized I had 20 minutes of unfinished show.

• Love 1

I was reading this this forum for this episode and it made me realize something...although I had DVR'd this and I thought watched it, I never finished it! The last thing I remember seeing was Grant asking Cullen if he wanted a race to finish the railroad. Never saw the attempted murder of Young and his (temporary?) resurrection . Never saw the Swede take off, or Cullen tearing off after him. I guess since I've been watching this whole season with only one eye and one ear, so I assumed the train race convo was the no-hum ending to a hum drum half-assed season.

The thing with historical dramas is that as Brigham Young lay there I knew he wasn't dead and was asking myself what was the point. 

• Love 3

If that dog went with him we may have had a lesson in immoral mathematics. I guess TPTB weren't willing to go that far. 

Looking at the next season previews I thought this was it one more episode for the Swede versus Cullen show down. There have been shows with the big bad killed off earlier then expected. 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 just did it with Wo Fat last year

I think the forth season was the low point of the series

Really?????????????? i was kinda finding it entertaining. I didnt know it was that bad!

I thought season 4 was ok but like a lot of people I didn't like the storyline with Cullen's wife, Ruth and Ezra dying, the randomness of the Swede stealing a Mormon Bishops identity, newspaper woman's affair with the governor ect. I think quite a lot of season 4 didn't actually make that much sense.

• Love 2