Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Dance

Cranberry

Okay, maybe I'm just slow, but does this mean Kieran and Branson are the killers? Seth had escaped at the end of the episode, and he didn't appear to be a captive in the promo. And Kieren's story was full of holes, since Nina was with Tyler right before they were killed, and she didn't seem drunk in the pilot.

As soon as Brandon James' mom said the boy's name was Seth, I texted my friend and said "I bet Kieran went there pretending to be Branson". Heh!

I still feel like it has to be Kieran but now it seems so obvious that I can't decide! I'm still leaning on it being Kieran and the "twist" being that Piper has been helping him this whole time.

As for Nina/Kieran/Tyler, I believe they said Kieran and Nina were at the bar the night BEFORE she was killed. I took that to mean like, literally a day earlier. So she was with Tyler the night OF her death and Kieran the night BEFORE. If that makes sense.

• Love 1

As for Nina/Kieran/Tyler, I believe they said Kieran and Nina were at the bar the night BEFORE she was killed. I took that to mean like, literally a day earlier. So she was with Tyler the night OF her death and Kieran the night BEFORE. If that makes sense.

Ah! Yeah, that does make sense, I just misinterpreted the meaning of what they said.

I will say that Kieren being a killer makes the most sense for Will's death.

Edited by Last Time Lord

I figured it was Kieran when Brandon James mom said he had old school Hollywood looks and misremembered his name as Keith before Emma interrupted her.

I wish we had more of Emma's look of horror as she realized she slept with her half brother.

I still think Piper is the child of Daisy and Brandon ( she looks like Daisy and Emma) although she is in cahoots with Kieran who I'm guessing has Daddy issues of his own.

I'm thinking it was Jake who was spying on Brooke in the webcam.

That look Kieran gave to Rachel on the raw footage solves that mystery for me, but I'm sure these writers will find some convoluted reason to dismiss that.

I'm ready for this series to be done bc I can't stand Emma as the protagonist here, she is a bad actress.

• Love 1

I figured it was Kieran when Brandon James mom said he had old school Hollywood looks and misremembered his name as Keith before Emma interrupted her.

I wish we had more of Emma's look of horror as she realized she slept with her half brother.

I still think Piper is the child of Daisy and Brandon ( she looks like Daisy and Emma) although she is in cahoots with Kieran who I'm guessing has Daddy issues of his own.

I'm thinking it was Jake who was spying on Brooke in the webcam.

That look Kieran gave to Rachel on the raw footage solves that mystery for me, but I'm sure these writers will find some convoluted reason to dismiss that.

I'm ready for this series to be done bc I can't stand Emma as the protagonist here, she is a bad actress.

It's also possible Piper never went to see Mama James again and just threw Kieren's name out there to throw off Emma. 

Piper also wanted to convince Sheriff Hudson that Seth/Mr. B might not be the killer. They could be working together. He broke out of jail, or someone broke him out. Isn't Brooke's dad still locked up too? 

Kieren might be involved/killer, but whoever broke in to the Municipal Records Hall did it a year ago. I don't think that was Kieren. I'm more convinced than ever we have several killers, with different motives. 

The Rachel's murder is the anomaly, and Audrey is hell bent on finding out who did it. Maybe she did in fact kill Nina and Tyler, but someone unbeknownst to her killed Rachel, which not only has her pissed, but perplexed to find out who it was for to avenge her death. Its just..something about Audrey's reaction to Emma's trust speech. I don't know.  

Jake is a freaking creeper though.

I now think Kieran is innocent.  They are making it too obvious. I think he is suspicious of Piper that's why he was spying on Piper and Emma.  Piper is framing Kiernan and she made up going back to the woman's house.  Or maybe he did go to her house to get answers.  He always seemed curious about Brandon James' family (he asked Noah about it a while back).  Plus, why would the sheriff lie about K being his son.  He just got hit from behind so he doesn't seem to be in on it.

• Love 2

I keep waiting for something to make me less suspicious of Audrey, but it still hasn't come yet, which is a bummer because I really don't want her to be the killer. Even in the trailer for the finale when she's attacked by someone in the Brandon James mask, something about the way the killer pushes her to the wall makes me think the scene will end with them talking and revealing they're in cahoots together (though something about the "killer's" body language there makes me wonder if it's really the killer). The fact that she was presumably on her laptop (looking at Rachel's stuff) around the same time the webcam went on at Brooke's, the fact that the footage switched to that Kieran/Nina clip just as Noah was getting up to leave, Emma bringing up the fact that she trusted Audrey before and comparing it to trusting Kieran, the fact that Piper came into the dance with new info to make Kieran look guilty not long after Audrey stormed out after not being able to convince Emma of his guilt, all makes me raise an eyebrow. The only thing making me question is how angry and frustrated she got at Emma not believing her, which, I don't know, doesn't scream "killer" to me, the killer seems way too calculated and collected in their killing, which isn't really what we've seen of Audrey, she'd be more of a spree killer rather than this, heh.

Piper is still super suspicious. She keeps getting all of this info without us ever seeing her getting it: talking to Rachel's parents about Audrey supposedly being able to get her to do whatever she wanted (the episode before Audrey is taken in for questioning, I might add), discovering the killer's message to Emma (despite us seeing her wake up, the scene just happened to not show us her finding that), and now she's been visiting Brandon James' mother a bunch of times?

Even though I'll be suspicious of Audrey until the credits roll next week, I think it'll be Piper and either Kieran or Branson, but I don't know which. Piper or Kieran have to be one of the killers, they were the only ones unaccounted for when the Sheriff got wacked. But I'm expecting someone to be stuck in a Branson vs Kieran decision ala Randy vs Stu at the door (especially with that Brooke/Branson clip in the trailer).

Edited by colorbars
  • Love 3

Does the finale take place at Brooke's after party, A bloodbath pool party finale? Would be cool.

I wonder if Brooke is now Dunzo because of her new gig. I would also place her as unaccounted for when the sheriff got kidnapped. She had just left Jake's and said she was heading to her house. Wait, that also means that Jake was also unaccounted for besides, Brooke, Piper, or Kieren. Then again, they probably wouldn't have sufficient time to go out to the Lakehouse, kidnap the Sheriff, and then resurface. Who knows.

As far as Audrey being attacked, maybe someone is dressed as Brandon James for Halloween and that is who pushes up on Audrey at the party. Doesn't seem as menacing for some reason.  

Edited by Paradox
  • Love 1

Piper is the only one that no one has ever suspected (aside from Brooke still, I suppose), so I'm still thinking she's one of two people involved. Someone attacked the sheriff right after he dismissed her/questioned her motives, too...

As for Brandon's mother, she wouldn't know the sex of the baby. It was a closed adoption, handled out of town by Maggie's parents. Anyone could come to the house and claim to be Brandon's son OR daughter and she'd have no idea whether or not they were telling the truth. The offspring could still be Piper!

(I just really want it to be Piper, you guys.)

• Love 4

Piper could have made up visiting Brandon's mother a third time, and anyone could have shown up pretending to be Brandon's son if it truly was a closed adoption. My read on Mrs. James, though, is that she is easily led to a conclusion. People who suffer from dementia can be coached to remember things incorrectly or are sometimes agreeable because they can sense that's what the other person wants. It's entirely possible that Emma simply suggesting the name Seth led Mrs. James to agree with her and accept it as fact. The same could be said for Piper and the photos.

Did anyone else notice this?

Photo1.jpg

The killer's laptop

Photo2.jpg

Jake's cell phone

The backgrounds are so similar and a part of me wonders if there's an image behind the camera windows on both screens that we'll see in the reveal.

It's entirely possible that Kieran or Seth or anyone, really, visited her and claimed to be her grandson to get information in an attempt to solve the case. So even if Piper is telling the truth and Brandon's mom IDed Kieran, that doesn't mean he's the killer.

The visitor would have to know about the secret child already, though.

I keep waiting for something to make me less suspicious of Audrey, but it still hasn't come yet, which is a bummer because I really don't want her to be the killer.

Agreed. I'm sure she's involved in the larger mystery somehow, even if she's not the killer. I know she's too young to be the James/Daisy kid, but I kept thinking there has to be more to her DNA being found inside the mask, and this episode tells us that someone stole the actual Brandon James mask from the evidence room. No idea if that's a clue about shared DNA or a total coincidence.

Edited by RedInk

That interview of Mrs James by Piper and Emma could be interpreted so many ways:

• The old lady is an actress hired by Piper to steer suspicion Kieran's way.
  • The old lady is indeed Mrs James, who was coached by Piper to say her grandson was Seth.
  • Piper hired some dude to impersonate "Seth", who then visited his granny.

In any case, there is no doubt Piper, aka Brandon/Maggie's daughter, is one of the killers.  My money is still on Jake as her partner.  I still think Maggie committed the original Lakeland murders and framed Brandon James.

Does the finale take place at Brooke's after party, A bloodbath pool party finale? Would be cool.

A bloodbath?  Are you serious?  This is a show that calls itself Scream. It's executive produced by Wes Craven, and the showrunner of Harper's Island is one of the producers.  In nine episodes we've had five murders.  Murder, She Wrote had a higher body count.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 4

Piper is the only one that no one has ever suspected (aside from Brooke still, I suppose), so I'm still thinking she's one of two people involved. Someone attacked the sheriff right after he dismissed her/questioned her motives, too...

As for Brandon's mother, she wouldn't know the sex of the baby. It was a closed adoption, handled out of town by Maggie's parents. Anyone could come to the house and claim to be Brandon's son OR daughter and she'd have no idea whether or not they were telling the truth. The offspring could still be Piper!

(I just really want it to be Piper, you guys.)

I agree with all of this. My one problem with Keiran being Maggie's child from show's perspective, is that none of the characters pointing the finger at him have focused in on the most obvious aspect of what this means -- the sheriff has to be in on it. I know none of these people are particularly swift on the uptake, but how can you believe Keiran is the killer without connecting that most obvious of dots. The fact that no one has thought out the logistics of Keiran as the killer means I can't believe that he is going to be revealed to be anything other than what he claims to be, the sheriff's teen son.

My other problem is that Kieran being Brandon James' son is that it would mean he knowingly slept with his sister. If we had seen Emma putting the moves on Kieran, with Kieran always coming up with some excuse not to have sex with with her, the sibling connection would be more believable.

Piper is so shady and her convenient knowledge of all things going on in a town she is supposedly new to convinces me she is not trustworthy. In fact, if any character on the show has been shown to be obsessed with Emma, it's her.

Despite the atrocious acting and pitifully low body count, the one thing the show has done right has been making everyone a suspect. Heck, even Maggie is uber suspicious with her sharp weapon thing, and being an expert liar. That could however be less an intention of the show and more of a consequence of TM's bad acting.

I still think the one killing that does not connect, and not because it was made to look like a suicide is Rachel's. Her murder makes me wonder if the people who believe there is more than one set of killers are correct since Rachel is just too tangentially connected to Emma and the rest of the victims. The theory that Kieran killed Rachel because of the video makes little sense because other people saw them together and that happened the day before the killing, meaning it is something he could easily explain away. Besides, since Keiran clearly saw Rachel taping him, if he was planning on killing Nina as part of his serial killer plot, the smart move would have been to kill Rachel first, make that look like a suicide, would Maggie have questioned what she was seeing were it not for the other killings. Once the possible spoiler of the plot, Rachel is killed, you then kill Nina and Tyler, even if that meant delaying their murders a couple of days (and say what you will about the killer(s), the actions undertaken thus far have been very well thought out and smartly executed. If Rachel's death is connected to something she caught on camera, I think it's something we have yet to be shown.

As for the escape of Mr. Branson and the death of the cop. He clearly could not have done that on his own. I know this is a small town, but you mean to tell me that one cop (naturally a PoC) is guarding a serial killer and the killer just walks in, kills the cop and frees Branson? The killing of the cop suggests to me that the culprit has to be someone the cop would trust and let his guard down with.

Since this is coming back for Season 2. I would like a killer reveal next week with a partner reveal solely to the audience . For Season 2, I want a look into who actually committed the murders Brandon James has been deemed guilty of killing (hint, hint, Emma's dad), spear-headed by Brandon and Maggie's child (hint, hint, Piper, who is revealed to the audience to be the brains behind the current killings).

Edited by Happytobehere

That interview of Mrs James by Piper and Emma could be interpreted so many ways:

• The old lady is an actress hired by Piper to steer suspicion Kieran's way.
  • The old lady is indeed Mrs James, who was coached by Piper to say her grandson was Seth.
  • Piper hired some dude to impersonate "Seth", who then visited his granny.

Agreed. My first thought was, "We have no idea if that's really Mrs. James, nor do we know if she's telling the truth about a visitor at all."

I still want to know what the deal is with Seth. I assume it was a red herring, of course, but I get so tired of shows/movies being so lazy when someone is arrested for being a serial killer and just hangs out acting smug and unconcerned about it. I mean he should at least stay in prison for statutory rape, but it's just annoying. Anyone with half a brain would at least know to feign concern. Not just that they're being falsely accused, but that kids are getting murdered.

That sure was handy that Emma and and Kieran both knew the choreography from a brief scene in a movie that came out before they were born!

My other problem is that Kieran being Brandon James' son is that it would mean he knowingly slept with his sister.

Well serial killers are kinda f-ed up in the head and I could totally see him doing this to get back at Daisy who abandoned him.

I only mention that the supposed Mrs. James was closer in confusing the name Kieran with Keith than Emma who just said was it Seth?  That's what led me to believe it was Kieran all along.

That sure was handy that Emma and and Kieran both knew the choreography from a brief scene in a movie that came out before they were born!

This x1,000,000....I rolled my eyes so much at this scene.  It was so pointedly stupid especially since what person in their right mind would be caught up in a Halloween party after watching her ex split in half in front of her.  Emma has some serious mental issues.

I also don't totally buy Kieran's side of the story with his meeting of Nina at the bar.  I bet he banged the hell out of that saucy tramp.

I love how it's just a given how easy it is for these kids to go buy liquor and get into bars so easily.  I know it's a smallish town and all....  Brooke's father being the mayor give her some connections, but he's in jail now.  As for Nina, Rachel, and Kieran in the bar....well Nina would totally have a fake id, Rachel....uh...., and Kieran....i'm thinking he is actually 21 or older.

I'm wondering if Kieran is the sheriff's biological son, or perhaps he was adopted or something.

I do think Audrey has set up Mr. Branson b/c seriously, who would have seen that knife in the pa system especially since she is tiny.  

I'm just ready for this show to be done with so I can be done with it.

Edited by CMH1981

My money is still on Piper and Jake.

Branson has been too obviously set up to look like the killer to be the killer. I expect he'll turn up dead next week. He was "broken out" of jail just to frame him. And Kieran has no reason to be ghost face. I don't think the old woman identified Kieran -- I think PIper made that up.

I agree with the poster who said the show did a good job of making everyone suspect!

• Love 1

I only mention that the supposed Mrs. James was closer in confusing the name Kieran with Keith than Emma who just said was it Seth?  That's what led me to believe it was Kieran all along.

She actually mutters, "Scott. Keith," as she's trying to remember his name. 

I was half-sleeping through this episode so sorry if I missed something.

I also felt that Brandon James' mother was an actress hired by Piper. The whole set-up was bit too convenient for me. If she were really still around wouldn't the police have already contacted her?

I wonder if Seth maybe did not escape from the jail but was abducted? He makes an excellent scapegoat.

I didn't get who Emma and Kieran were supposed to be? What were their costumes?

Why do high school kids hang out at bars so much in teen TV shows? 

• Love 1
old reference for high school kids.

High school kids played by actors in their twenties, in scenes written by writers in their thirties.

They did mention they (E&K) were going shopping for movie couple costumes.  Maybe they were the last Lakeland High couple to go shopping and the selection wasn't great!?

I wonder if Seth maybe did not escape from the jail but was abducted? He makes an excellent scapegoat.

That was my take on it.

I wonder if we're supposed to think that Emma's dad is back in play, because he used his credit card not too long ago in a town near Lakewood. Where has he been staying? At the house where the sheriff was attacked? Those are supposed to be summer homes, so most of them in that area are vacant a large part of the year. I also want to know if Emma's ever going to have a conversation with her mother about Cassie for some kind of validation that this woman is actually Brandon's mother and that the baby was a boy.

ETA: For anyone curious, the notes of the investigation that we saw in the flashback read on page one "Brandon James. Search Woods. 11/5/94 Brandon James search abandoned. Presumed dead." So they quit searching for him, what, five days after he fell in that lake? On page 2, "Various students attacked. Multiple homicides. One boy survived/being questioned. Kevin Duval wounded. Sole survivor. Suspect?" And on page 3, "Need to question the Anderson family. What is the link there? Obtain warrant. Margaret Anderson. 'Daisy' knew James. Did she help him?" Warrant for what? Also? What a waste of paper.

Edited by dradiscontact
  • Love 1

I also want to know if Emma's ever going to have a conversation with her mother about Cassie for some kind of validation that this woman is actually Brandon's mother and that the baby was a boy.

She could ask about Cassie, but Maggie has already told Emma that she doesn't know whether the baby was a boy or a girl.

As for Emma's dad, I still think that the first time she saw him, when he came to the hospital and talked to her while she was in her room, was real. The second conversation, where they were magically at the maternity ward, was obviously a hallucination. I need to rewatch, though.

Oh, I guess I can see that with the dancing and Kieran's ponytail but kind of an old reference for high school kids. I mean, that movie came out when I was in high school and I'm old. When I saw Emma in the wig I first thought maybe they were going to do 50 Shades.

In a deliberate attempt to make me feel bad about myself, the writers did have Audrey say, "very retro!"
  • Love 3

[nitpicknitpicknitpick]

Who opens the car door before they unbuckle their seatbelt?

C'mon Sheriff! At least act like a real person!!!

[/nitpicknitpicknitpick]

My new theory :

The killer is actually Emma.

Seriously, though, if they could somehow pull that off in a plausible way? *mind blown*

Well, at least there was a death in this episode, and even if the character didn't have a word to say.  Piper is HIGH on the suspect list, there is definitely 2 killers, because in every death so far and every attack, not everyone has an alibi.

It's also strange to randomly introduce a character like Ava so late, which means she is so going to die next episode.  I'm kind of excited to see who's working with whom, and what their individual motives are since it's most likely they are killing for different reasons.

I am just hoping Kiernan is not related to Emma. I can handle gory killkngs, but sleeping with a half sibling too icky!

I am thinking Piper is one killer and she duped one of the main friend characters to help. That way we don't loose too many of the high school students, but it will add a little oh shit my friend is a killer revelation.

Most unrealistic thing to me is the kids drinking at bars and buying liquor at a store. We could barely score a wine cooler in high school. Had to have an older sibling go get them for us.

• Love 1

I still really like the theory that Piper is the love-child, and she has Kieran working for her. He was sent to the house to talk to Brandon's mother (I just want that to have been the mother) and he's helped with alibis, and visa versa. Piper's the mastermind, and Kieran has been helping her out. Even though Audrey suspects him, it doesn't mean he's not an option. The next episode is the finale. A perfect way to wrap things up, right?

Brooke's just...really, really dumb. She doesn't think Branson's the killer for whatever reason, but she's willing to have a party with no cops just because 'it blows'? Even though she's been attacked twice now? 

Also, it took all this time for Audrey to finally look into Rachel's cloud for video stuff? Really? 

Nice to see Jake still being an asshat. He hasn't shown any emotion for his supposed best friend's death, besides that one little scene at the hospital.

Well Sheriff, things don't look good for you. Also, has to be a good way of temporarily clearing Kieran's name. I'm gonna stick to my Piper/Kieran theory until it's disproven next episode.